ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

Mrgrapple

2nd Team
Sep 8, 2006
I noticed on trackwrestling that neither OSU or Iowa had the dual on their schedule. It is still on our schedule on the OSU site but not track. Are we still wrestling Iowa on the 23rd?

I noticed on trackwrestling that neither OSU or Iowa had the dual on their schedule. It is still on our schedule on the OSU site but not track. Are we still wrestling Iowa on the 23rd?
Our schedule indicates it is on the Big 10 network.

Not sure what you are talking about, it is on both Iowa's & OSU's schedules, nothing has changed.

Reactions: OHkie
The Hawkeyes have their best chance at a title they've seen in a while. A lot of our young guns will gain valuable experience in Hawkeye land. It seems a few of my friends are pulling for Iowa to break Cael's magical run. It may be a game-time decision for me, but for now, I'm Okay if Cael holds the throne until we get back in the hunt.

Reactions: Mrgrapple
It will be interesting to watch this March. I still wouldn’t count out PSU totally. Obviously the injury to Cassar and to a lesser extent Berge really hurts their chances.

They still have title favorites at 165 and 174 and potential finalists at 133 and 141. They have 2 and maybe 3 others with AA potential at 184, 197 and HWT.

Reactions: Pacemaker5
It will be interesting to watch this March. I still wouldn’t count out PSU totally. Obviously the injury to Cassar and to a lesser extent Berge really hurts their chances.

They still have title favorites at 165 and 174 and potential finalists at 133 and 141. They have 2 and maybe 3 others with AA potential at 184, 197 and HWT.
An example of how I have always thought about Hawkeye fans happened this year. Many of you know "LoveOSUsports and how involved she and her husband are in planning activities for OK State functions. Each year some of us reserve rooms for the National tournament about a year in advance. LoveOSUsports coordinates this and many other events and it is clearly reserved under OSU sports fans at the hotel. This year it was discovered one of these OSU fans could possibly been flying another flag's colors. We got an email from LoveOSUsports yesterday that a Mr. Royce Alger reserved a room as an "OSU fan". Mr. Alger has apparently changed his allegiances since he was a two time National champion for the University of Iowa and after his college career as a Squakeye he coached there for 7-8 years. He may occupy rooms across from KCScott and I at Nationals. It has been determined that more safeguards may be employed when reserving rooms next year at Nationals.

An example of how I have always thought about Hawkeye fans happened this year. Many of you know "LoveOSUsports and how involved she and her husband are in planning activities for OK State functions. Each year some of us reserve rooms for the National tournament about a year in advance. LoveOSUsports coordinates this and many other events and it is clearly reserved under OSU sports fans at the hotel. This year it was discovered one of these OSU fans could possibly been flying another flag's colors. We got an email from LoveOSUsports yesterday that a Mr. Royce Alger reserved a room as an "OSU fan". Mr. Alger has apparently changed his allegiances since he was a two time National champion for the University of Iowa and after his college career as a Squakeye he coached there for 7-8 years. He may occupy rooms across from KCScott and I at Nationals. It has been determined that more safeguards may be employed when reserving rooms next year at Nationals.
I say you give him a good thrashing in the hallway as a lesson not to trifle with your traditions.

Man, Royce was a hammer! I think you can take him Obe, but he's a tough out.
Latest word is that he has been separated or segregated from our group. How he got in the group in the first place is the question. Pacmaker5 he was a tough out but he is not in my weight class so one of us is lucky. I am about 15 years older but from recent pictures he would out weigh me. If you get a chance you can google him and get several stories including one from a flow interview a few years ago about the first time he met John Smith. He calls him "Smitty". It is a FUNNY story but may be embellished.

Latest word is that he has been separated or segregated from our group. How he got in the group in the first place is the question. Pacmaker5 he was a tough out but he is not in my weight class so one of us is lucky. I am about 15 years older but from recent pictures he would out weigh me. If you get a chance you can google him and get several stories including one from a flow interview a few years ago about the first time he met John Smith. He calls him "Smitty". It is a FUNNY story but may be embellished.
BTW my saying that the story might be embellished is tantamount to saying the Pope might be Catholic.

Nick needs to spend a lot of time watching video of Spencer Lee's match against the Michigan kid, who held Lee to a regular decision and was, I think, only the second opponent to go the full 7 minutes with Lee this year. In that match, Lee had a propensity to put his knee very near his chin when on bottom, so a cradle was certainly there for the taking. Getting it applied is a whole different story, but it is at least something to look for. If DeSantos is still out, I like Witcraft's chances against Iowa's backup. Other than that, Boo is our best shot for a win unless Brands sends out other backups. And I'm sure the officials will be totally impartial. Any way you slice it, it shapes up to be a long night for the Pokes.

I agree that it looks like a tough night for us but this is one of those duals where you never know what is going to happen. It will no doubt be a packed house and cool environment for us to wrestle in. Maybe it motivates guys like Wittlake, Montalvo, Witcraft, and Boo to score upsets. Combine those with a second miracle pin of Spencer Lee and we win. Should be easy!

Nick needs to spend a lot of time watching video of Spencer Lee's match against the Michigan kid, who held Lee to a regular decision and was, I think, only the second opponent to go the full 7 minutes with Lee this year. In that match, Lee had a propensity to put his knee very near his chin when on bottom, so a cradle was certainly there for the taking. Getting it applied is a whole different story, but it is at least something to look for. If DeSantos is still out, I like Witcraft's chances against Iowa's backup. Other than that, Boo is our best shot for a win unless Brands sends out other backups. And I'm sure the officials will be totally impartial. Any way you slice it, it shapes up to be a long night for the Pokes.

Spencer seems to be on another level but he had nothing in the 3rd period v. an average kid at Michigan. His pace slows considerably as the match wears on. Nick got him once already, can he do it again?

In a match like this, where Iowa is having a peek year and we are in a rebuilding year, how we should gauge this bout is by effort. Wins are a perk but if we can go out there and wrestle our best, we can build on that.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Psu has zero chance at AA at 197 if they stick with Shack. V

He just isn’t the same guy who showed some serious promise a few years ago. I don’t think Berge will be a factor in the postseason.

Verkleren has showed some positive signs these last few weeks but PSU just won’t have the firepower to keep up with Iowa at the NCAA’s this year.

Spencer seems to be on another level but he had nothing in the 3rd period v. an average kid at Michigan. His pace slows considerably as the match wears on. Nick got him once already, can he do it again?
No.

You are probably right as Lee is at the top of the food chain at this weight but he does seem to tire if you can stay in the match into the 3rd period. It’s not easy to do but it is an issue with him.

The key for Picc will be to avoid the first period TD and back points. Easier said than done but he needs to move beyond the first period with the score still in reach for any chance at the upset.

Reactions: hawkssox1
125: #4 Nick Piccininni (Sr) vs #1 Spencer Lee (Jr)
133: #18 Reece Witcraft (Fr) vs #2 Austin DeSanto (Jr)
141: #20 Dusty Hone (Jr) vs #3 Max Murin (So)
149: #6 Boo Lewallen (Jr) vs #2 Pat Lugo (Sr)
157: #18 Wyatt Sheets (So) vs #4 Kaleb Young (Jr)
165: #7 Travis Wittlake (Fr) vs #2 Alex Marinelli (Jr)
174: #12 Joe Smith (Sr) vs #1 Michael Kemerer (Sr)
184: #15 Anthony Montalvo (Fr) vs #10 Abe Assad (Fr)
197: #16 Dakota Geer (Jr) vs #4 Jacob Warner (So)
HWT: Austin Harris (So) vs #3 Tony Cassioppi (Fr)

I'd be surprised if they wrestle Abe @ 184.

Reactions: andegre

We’re gonna get steamrolled, but it interested to watch some of our guys compete. Especially, Wittcraft, Wittlake, Boo and Montalvo.

We are underdogs at all 10 weights. That's an impressive Hawkeye lineup. It should be a great battle between them and PSU for the title. I've seen times when things can go awfully bad when they get on a roll in cha. Like Coach said, it's a great opportunity for several of us and he expects competitive match-ups at almost every weight except 285.

I'm curious why they wouldn't. He's 19-5 and has taken over Cash Wilcke. I guess Wilcke could get the nod since it'll be senior night, but unless he's injured, I'd expect Assad at 184.
Because he didn't wrestle the last two duals, his last was Feb 2 close match against Michigan St. He already has a good record, RIP, & wins against b10 for good seed in the b10 tourney. They dont need him to win and a win against Montalvo doesn't help him. He is a Fr so I bet they rest him for the tournament.

Reactions: osu2082
Because he didn't wrestle the last two duals, his last was Feb 2 close match against Michigan St. He already has a good record, RIP, & wins against b10 for good seed in the b10 tourney. They dont need him to win and a win against Montalvo doesn't help him. He is a Fr so I bet they rest him for the tournament.

Didn't know he's injured so they could go with Wickle. Seems like fans are eager to get him back. If healthy, it wouldn't surprise me to see him wrestle to knock off the rust. Not like Montalvo is a tough opponent for him. If not, let Wickle go out on Senior night. Either opponent has a good chance against Montalvo.

We are underdogs at all 10 weights. That's an impressive Hawkeye lineup. It should be a great battle between them and PSU for the title. I've seen times when things can go awfully bad when they get on a roll in cha. Like Coach said, it's a great opportunity for several of us and he expects competitive match-ups at almost every weight except 285.

It will take a disappointing tournament from Iowa for PSU to really mount a serious challenge IMO. I do think there are a few of their guys whose current rankings are inflated and they won’t finish there in March but they are so strong top to bottom.

With Cassar out it really hurt PSU’s chances.

It will take a disappointing tournament from Iowa for PSU to really mount a serious challenge IMO. I do think there are a few of their guys whose current rankings are inflated and they won’t finish there in March but they are so strong top to bottom.

With Cassar out it really hurt PSU’s chances.
Iowa is favored at every weight. I am not going to go weight by weight but I will say we have chances and actually I predict Boo will dec. Lugo. I also think Montalvo could win at 184. These could be our only victories. The above is said with my orange colored glasses on. :(

Iowa is favored at every weight. I am not going to go weight by weight but I will say we have chances and actually I predict Boo will dec. Lugo. I also think Montalvo could win at 184. These could be our only victories. The above is said with my orange colored glasses on. :(

I was talking Iowa vs PSU at nationals but yes in our dual they will be favored at every weight.

Our best opportunity for a win is at 149 which in reality is a toss up right now.

Taco will have a good shot depending on who Iowa goes with.

Outside of that I don’t see any other realistic potential wins.

Picc, Boo & Montalvo win by decision. Iowa wins the dual.

141, 157, 165 & 197 lose tight, competitive matches. Tough matchups at 133, 174 & 285. Also hoping to see some throws from Witcraft. Dig those underhooks and let it fly.

Picc, Boo & Montalvo win by decision. Iowa wins the dual.

141, 157, 165 & 197 lose tight, competitive matches. Tough matchups at 133, 174 & 285. Also hoping to see some throws from Witcraft. Dig those underhooks and let it fly.

JoJo, Boo, CraftyWit and Taco with the upsets...

In reality, if we bang with them, I will be happy!

Reactions: Wrassler17
I was talking Iowa vs PSU at nationals but yes in our dual they will be favored at every weight.

Our best opportunity for a win is at 149 which in reality is a toss up right now.

Taco will have a good shot depending on who Iowa goes with.

Outside of that I don’t see any other realistic potential wins.
Yep, that's the likely scenario. If the throw Nelson B out there Montalvo has a good chance of wining. If it's Wilcke (most likely), he will go full Iowa style in order to win by stalling. If Assad (doubtful) then Assad slight favor due to Carver affect.

Sure OSU could pull out another match here or there but not likely to string together upsets. The one I'm most interested in to gauge progress is 157, both lost matches to Carr & Monday but Sheets should've/could've gone SV with Monday and he really has improved this year. It not about a win but how he wrestles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT