ADVERTISEMENT

GOT S8 Thread

Something I've always wondered about... what happened to the baby sons Craster sent to the NK?

The general consensus is that the babies are turned into more White Walkers. They don't reproduce (no females), so all of them are created from a male baby.

In the books, one of Craster's wives (also his daughters) says something along the lines of her brothers/sons becoming Others.

Reactions: SouthWestOKPoke
So Plot Hole question?

Why wouldn’t the Night King simply walk right past Winterfell and go get the unprepared folks all scattered about? Just go collect a few million more people in his army and then go lay siege to the fortified locations.

Hell you could starve them out since your army doesn’t even have to eat.

Not sure they have read "the art of war". They are basically zombies. They destroy everything in their path.

The Knight King has some kind of hard on for Bran re the three eyed raven.

Can Jon and Dann just hold up in Winterfell or do they have to march out to confront the army of the dead? Everyone won't fit inside the walls and as mentioned they have a food issue.

For the matter why doesn't the Knight King just climb on his zombie dragon fly straight to Kings Landing and burn the place down.

Also for some of you the locations shown in the opening credits are the locations of the that episode so they show you on the map in the opening where these are. Also so of you need maps. Wish I knew how to post photos on here from my phone. My garage has maps of the whole realm framed and hung up. I even have Kings landing in map form. The book of nothing but maps was well worth its price.

Other than Reddit speculation, why do we believe this is true?

Am I misinterpreting the entire "hold the door" episode? Was he just using Bran to get to the children or the forest? Why was he in Bran's dream if they are not connected?

Maybe its just one big red herring but that has seemed to be a developing theme for some time. I haven't read all the fan theory on Reddit or any place else so my expertise in all this is limited by that's the impression I have gotten strictly from watching the show. We shall see.

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
Fair enough, I'll go back and watch some of those episodes. It would stand to reason that the NK would have a special interest with the only other being in the realm with crazy weird powers like his own.

Fair enough, I'll go back and watch some of those episodes. It would stand to reason that the NK would have a special interest with the only other being in the realm with crazy weird powers like his own.

If no one remembers to go wheel Bran in from the courtyard, he's going to turn into the Night King by the end of next episode

If no one remembers to go wheel Bran in from the courtyard, he's going to turn into the Night King by the end of next episode

The whole episode I’m thinking (just like last season):

“Is there anyone smart enough to sit down w Bran and get the full download on how to proceed”?

Instead, he just sits alone in the Winterfell courtyard mentally working out binary algorithms in his head...

The whole episode I’m thinking (just like last season):

“Is there anyone smart enough to sit down w Bran and get the full download on how to proceed”?

Instead, he just sits alone in the Winterfell courtyard mentally working out binary algorithms in his head...

Here's my question and I honestly have no clue. When Bran told Sam he was waiting for a friend did he mean Jammie?

It would make sense. The knight king seems to be able to see through who ever he kills or takes over. If he takes over bran he can see everywhere in the past or present.

Did we not see them turning one of Crasters sons into an Other last season?

Last season? We saw them turning a baby into a blue eyed thing seasons ago, but are not all of the white walkers dead? If they are dead, how do they age / grow?

Last season? We saw them turning a baby into a blue eyed thing seasons ago, but are not all of the white walkers dead? If they are dead, how do they age / grow?

Are the babies dead or are still alive when given to the Knight King? Its not clear but I'm not sure they become whitewalkers. That seem to be some kind of human sacrifice which I recognize doesn't fit with the rest of the narrative. HBO has left it very vague. Could it have something to do with the children of the forest? I don't think so. I feel like its going to be one of those things that is never explained in the TV series.

My understanding, (and granted, this involves a lot of conjecture on my part), is as follows...

In order to create more Others, the Others first need human male babies. How they get from babies to adult looking Others involves some kind of magical transformation. They are not made into Other-babies who gradually grow to full sized Others. I would guess that we have 1 of 2 scenarios.
1). A magical transformation occurs and the human baby is transformed into an Other.
2). Something else is transformed into an Other (could be a dead human, a snowman, a tree, or something else) but a human baby has to be sacrificed in order for the transformation process to occur.

If you get deep into the discussion of the books, many fans believe the following theory.
-at some point in the distant past, the Starks had a truce with The Others, which required the Starks to sacrifice certain male babies (maybe bastards?) to the Others. This was accomplished via taking the babies through the Black Gate (the gate that Sam and Gilly used to return from north of the Wall and Bran, Meera, etc used to pass beyond the Wall).
-The Night's Watch was aware of this agreement and was complicit. They helped the transactions occur.
-Over time, the baby sacrifices stopped happening due to TNW and the Starks forgetting they were supposed to be doing this.
-Craster has Stark blood and was perfectly happy to give his sons away, which prevented the Others from getting too pissed off that the truce terms were not being upheld.
-However, they eventually got so pissed off that they decided they were no longer bound by the terms and decided they would destroy all mankind.
-Now, one of their main objectives is to take revenge on the Starks.

I always assumed the Crastor boys were turned into the sentient leaders of the undead reporting to the Night King. Kind of like Roman Centurions leading the various units of soldiers.

Reactions: Been Jammin
That's consistent with the fact that when you kill one of the others all the white walkers created by him (?) die too. I knew there were two level's of the Kinght King's army. I never understood exactly where the others came from.

I fail to see how Craster babies become old men Others. For one thing, there were presumably dozens of babies sacrificed, while there are only 4 sub-NK's and Jon killed one in season 7.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
That's consistent with the fact that when you kill one of the others all the white walkers created by him (?) die too. I knew there were two level's of the Kinght King's army. I never understood exactly where the others came from.

There are Others and there are raised dead people/creatures. The Others (White Walkers) have the ability to reanimate the dead and make them part of their army.

Reactions: FMPoke
I fail to see how Craster babies become old men Others. For one thing, there were presumably dozens of babies sacrificed, while there are only 4 sub-NK's and Jon killed one in season 7.

I think that is a fair criticism. However, we don't know that there are not hundreds/thousands of Others. Just because we have only seen a total of 5 at any given moment doesn't mean that there are not more out there. Remember, there is a large area north of the Wall and only a very small portion has been visited by any characters in the book/show. There could be an entire Other city up there somewhere.

Additionally, it is possible that they have a limited lifespan. Maybe they need a constant supply of babies to replenish the numbers as some of them die off. Maybe they dissolve after they have been alive/animate for 1 year (or some other short amount of time).

Also, for general clarification purposes....

The Night King is an HBO construct. To this point, he has not been mentioned, or even hinted at, in the books. The Others are treated as a group of equals rather than having one main leader.

Last edited:
The Others are treated as a group of equals rather than having one main leader.

latest

Where are you guys getting that the babies were turned over to the White Walkers?

If you are asking about the show, they literally showed it in one of the episodes. Woman all bundled up with baby in her arms....walking through snow. ... lays baby on ground and leaves him there... WW shows up and takes baby.

In the books, I think Gilly tells Sam shortly after first meeting him. She says something about being pregnant and if it is a boy, Craster will force her to give him away to the babe’s brothers. It is a little subtle, but pretty clear if you go back and read it a second time.

Thanks. I had no clue on the show. Didn’t remember that part at all. I had read the books longer ago but didn’t remember anything about it. What I thought I remembered was that the males were killed but I didn’t remember how.

Thanks again

Reactions: Been Jammin

There is a difference between white walkers and others. The others are reincarnated foot soldiers. The others are turned while alive and seem to be much more powerful and a part of the inner circle.

Last edited:
There is a difference between white walkers and others. The white's are reincarnated foot soldiers. The others are turned while alive and seem to be much more powerful and a part of the inner circle.

This is not the way I understand it, but I could be wrong.

White Walkers are synonymous with The Others. Same dudes. 2 different names depending on who is talking about them.

They are able to animate and control the dead. A raised dead man is referred to as a Wight in the books (and maybe in the show also).

It is confusing because White and Wight sound the same.

It is also possible that White Walker is more of an all encompassing term that includes both Others and Wights, since we are originally exposed to it from Old Nan's stories and the Starks seem to think it is something of a ghost story meant to scare children.

Reactions: OSUIvan

White Walkers are synonymous with The Others. Same dudes. 2 different names depending on who is talking about them.

They are able to animate and control the dead. A raised dead man is referred to as a Wight in the books (and maybe in the show also).

It is also possible that White Walker is more of an all encompassing term that includes both Others and Wights, since we are originally exposed to it from Old Nan's stories and the Starks seem to think it is something of a ghost story meant to scare children.
I can't remember where I came across it, but I remember it being from a somewhat legit source. It doesn't matter but I do think there is a major difference between them. The children of the forest created the Night King from a living man and he has the power to do the same thing. Those that were turned while alive operate much differently than those that were reanimated

"The Others, also known as white walkers,[1]cold gods, and white shadows,[2] are a species of humanoid beings that exist in the north beyond the Wall."

"The Others are capable of resurrecting dead men or creatures as wights."

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Others

I was confirming what @Been Jammin said. The Others and white walkers are the same thing there is no difference. They are 2 names for the same thing.
That’s not what that says. Am I crazy?

Nevermind, I see where I said others and white walkers were different. My mistake on the specific terminology, but the point remains. Others / white walkers are different from Wights

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT