ADVERTISEMENT

Bedlam week

When White hit the mat after he pinned Boyd, his elbow/forearm hit Boyd in the face. I get being pissed, but after getting handled like that, I'd have more humility than I did aggressiveness. But that could be one of my shortcomings too. Loved seeing the snake again ala JT!f

Can I get a rundown? I cannot find results anywhere besides Twitter, and it won't load?

Oklahoma State 41, Oklahoma 2

125: Nicholas Piccininni (Oklahoma State) over Zach Atencio (Oklahoma) (Fall 0:56)

133: Daton Fix (Oklahoma State) over Anthony Madrigal (Oklahoma) (TF 20-5 6:27)

141: Dom Demas (Oklahoma) over Kaid Brock (Oklahoma State) (Dec 7-6)

149: Kaden Gfeller (Oklahoma State) over Davion Jeffries (Oklahoma) (Dec 11-6)

157: Andrew Shomers (Oklahoma State) over Justin Thomas (Oklahoma) (Dec 5-3)

165: Chandler Rogers (Oklahoma State) over Jeremy Thomas (Oklahoma) (Fall 1:53)

174: Jacobe Smith (Oklahoma State) over Anthony Mantanona (Oklahoma) (MD 19-6)

184: Dakota Geer (Oklahoma State) over Kayne MacCallum (Oklahoma) (Dec 10-3)

197: Preston Weigel (Oklahoma State) over Ruston Duke (Oklahoma) (TF 16-1 2:21)

285: Derek White (Oklahoma State) over Jake Boyd (Oklahoma) (Fall 6:18)

Oklahoma deducted a team point for unsportsmanlike conduct

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Here we go again! You just can't get off the short bus can you. Stop licking windows and eating crayons.
Dude. What is your problem with Gfeller? You made comments in another thread about he and Brock in ranking matches which was completely false. Cut it out.

Overall series record: Oklahoma State 141-27-10 over the Sooners.
@MiccoMacey - Do you see any improvement from Coach Lou and the sooners? When will your team be competitive?

Is Woodley hurt? I was looking forward to seeing him go.

Man, I know OU is young but they are long, long way away.

Reactions: osu2082
Ronnie Clinton wrestled for Blackwell. He cut his hand when twisted an old porcelain faucet knob on a sink that was dripping and keeping him awake. doc Cooper has to put stitches on the inside and outside.
I always believed Ronnie wrestled for Blackwell but when I looked up the year he died the article said he wrestled for Ponca. I stand corrected and was corrected today by one of my Blackwell buddies who would know.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
I always believed Ronnie wrestled for Blackwell but when I looked up the year he died the article said he wrestled for Ponca. I stand corrected and was corrected today by one of my Blackwell buddies who would know.
After being set straight by my Blackwell friends I am certain that Ronnie Clinton wrestled for Blackwell and in fact I knew it before I researched his obituary and articles written about him. To show how stories can get skewed I went back and looked and read a story from Mike Chapman called "Wrestling Tough" A segment of this longer story was about Ronnie Clinton and I am going to quote the whole story verbatim as it is a fitting tribute to one of the first and best wrestlers I have ever seen.
"Ronnie Clinton was one of the most gifted wrestlers of his era. Coming from Ponca City High School (Author's mistake)he made a name for himself at Oklahoma State University with his surfer-style good looks and his smooth mat style. As a Sophomore in 1960 he was NCAA runner up at 167 pounds. But the Oklahoma State lineup was packed from top to bottom with tremendous wrestlers, and in his Junior year he could not crack the lineup at his regular weight. He jumped up two entire weight classes and finished third at the 1961 NCAA championships at 191 pounds. His ability to compete
effectively But the truest test to Clinton's toughness didn't come until the final match of his senior year. Back at 167 pounds, he was on target for the NCAA title that has thus far eluded him. The NCAA championships were on his home campus in Stillwater, Oklahoma. In the Saturday night finals he was facing Terry Isaacson, a talented athlete from Iowa who was also a star quarterback on the football team for the Air Force Academy.
On the night before the finals, a freak accident almost put Clinton out of the
tournament, while he was shaving his hand slipped and fell onto a mirror shattering the glass. The result was a badly cut palm on his right hand, one that required numerous stitches. Less than 24 hours later, Clinton was on the mat, facing Isaacson, and facing his last chance to become an NCAA champion. Ironically,
Isaacson had sustained a two inch eyebrow cut in a previous round and the cut reopened in the match with Clinton. Both Clinton and Isaacson were bleeding profusely, and the match was stopped numerous times for extended periods for both to be treated. Discussion occurred in both corners and with the official about injury default and extended injury and blood time. Clinton could hardly squeeze his hand during the entire match. With blood soaking through his bandages,Clinton posted a narrow, hard-fought victory. He had shown that he was not only a slick and exciting wrestler but also a mentally tough and determined one. He had wrestled extremely tough when the need arose, blocking out the physical pain and mental doubts that must have accompanied him on the the mat, to perform at the highest level " I believe each wrestler thought the other would give up and throw in the towel but neither did," recalled Wayne Baughman. "It was a gutsy match , I remember it well because I was warming up just one more match away from my final and my anxiety level was being prolonged by their match."
Now I have heard at least five different versions about how Clinton gashed his hand and the circumstances differ in every instance including the one told to me today by my Blackwell friend. I do not know which version is the truth. What I heard in 1962 was that he was working on a pipe, the wrench slipped and his hand came down on the broken pipe. This somewhat alligns with the story told by Bob Dellinger in his book, "The Cowboys ride again!" Here is the quote from that book. "Clinton
won at 167 despite one of those Coach's nightmare accidents. The night before the tournament, Clinton had gotten out of bed at home to fix a dripping faucet, only to have his hand gashed when the handle broke. After every bout he had to have from 18-30 stitches replaced in his hand, which couldn't be deadened for mibility's sake. Despite this, he won his final bout against unbeaten Terry Isaacson of Air Force with a takedown in th final minute." According to a third source Jairus K. Hammond in his book, "History of collegiate wrestling". "Ronnie Clinton of Oklahoma State revived the local crowd with a 3-2 win against Terry Isaacson of Air Force by using a double leg takedown with 36 seconds left in the match to capture the 167 pound crown.
It was an especially gratifying win for Clinton, who overcame severe pain and limited use of his right hand to win his first NCAA title." BTW, the "revived" Oklahoma State crowd was the result of Phil Kinyon being beaten by an unranked wrestler, Jack Flasche 5-2 when he rode KIinyon out the entire third period. Oklahoma State had 3 champions in 1962, Masaki Hatta, Ronnie Clinton and Bob Johnson. Kinyon took second as did future heavy weight Joe James who was beaten 2-1 by Wayne Baughman of Oklahoma at 191 pounds.
To sum up this very long post, Ronnie Clinton wrestled for Blackwell, not Ponca City as Mike Chapman related.I feel reasonably certain that Clinton's injury did not come from a shaving mirror accident but from a pipe repair. In any case Ronnie Clinton was a true warrior and one of my first heroes, having watched that tournament in 1962 where he won with virtually one hand.

Reactions: Wrassler17
After being set straight by my Blackwell friends I am certain that Ronnie Clinton wrestled for Blackwell and in fact I knew it before I researched his obituary and articles written about him. To show how stories can get skewed I went back and looked and read a story from Mike Chapman called "Wrestling Tough" A segment of this longer story was about Ronnie Clinton and I am going to quote the whole story verbatim as it is a fitting tribute to one of the first and best wrestlers I have ever seen.
"Ronnie Clinton was one of the most gifted wrestlers of his era. Coming from Ponca City High School (Author's mistake)he made a name for himself at Oklahoma State University with his surfer-style good looks and his smooth mat style. As a Sophomore in 1960 he was NCAA runner up at 167 pounds. But the Oklahoma State lineup was packed from top to bottom with tremendous wrestlers, and in his Junior year he could not crack the lineup at his regular weight. He jumped up two entire weight classes and finished third at the 1961 NCAA championships at 191 pounds. His ability to compete
effectively But the truest test to Clinton's toughness didn't come until the final match of his senior year. Back at 167 pounds, he was on target for the NCAA title that has thus far eluded him. The NCAA championships were on his home campus in Stillwater, Oklahoma. In the Saturday night finals he was facing Terry Isaacson, a talented athlete from Iowa who was also a star quarterback on the football team for the Air Force Academy.
tournament, while he was shaving his hand slipped and fell onto a mirror shattering the glass. The result was a badly cut palm on his right hand, one that required numerous stitches. Less than 24 hours later, Clinton was on the mat, facing Isaacson, and facing his last chance to become an NCAA champion. Ironically,
Isaacson had sustained a two inch eyebrow cut in a previous round and the cut reopened in the match with Clinton. Both Clinton and Isaacson were bleeding profusely, and the match was stopped numerous times for extended periods for both to be treated. Discussion occurred in both corners and with the official about injury default and extended injury and blood time. Clinton could hardly squeeze his hand during the entire match. With blood soaking through his bandages,Clinton posted a narrow, hard-fought victory. He had shown that he was not only a slick and exciting wrestler but also a mentally tough and determined one. He had wrestled extremely tough when the need arose, blocking out the physical pain and mental doubts that must have accompanied him on the the mat, to perform at the highest level " I believe each wrestler thought the other would give up and throw in the towel but neither did," recalled Wayne Baughman. "It was a gutsy match , I remember it well because I was warming up just one more match away from my final and my anxiety level was being prolonged by their match."
Now I have heard at least five different versions about how Clinton gashed his hand and the circumstances differ in every instance including the one told to me today by my Blackwell friend. I do not know which version is the truth. What I heard in 1962 was that he was working on a pipe, the wrench slipped and his hand came down on the broken pipe. This somewhat alligns with the story told by Bob Dellinger in his book, "The Cowboys ride again!" Here is the quote from that book. "Clinton
won at 167 despite one of those Coach's nightmare accidents. The night before the tournament, Clinton had gotten out of bed at home to fix a dripping faucet, only to have his hand gashed when the handle broke. After every bout he had to have from 18-30 stitches replaced in his hand, which couldn't be deadened for mibility's sake. Despite this, he won his final bout against unbeaten Terry Isaacson of Air Force with a takedown in th final minute." According to a third source Jairus K. Hammond in his book, "History of collegiate wrestling". "Ronnie Clinton of Oklahoma State revived the local crowd with a 3-2 win against Terry Isaacson of Air Force by using a double leg takedown with 36 seconds left in the match to capture the 167 pound crown.
It was an especially gratifying win for Clinton, who overcame severe pain and limited use of his right hand to win his first NCAA title." BTW, the "revived" Oklahoma State crowd was the result of Phil Kinyon being beaten by an unranked wrestler, Jack Flasche 5-2 when he rode KIinyon out the entire third period. Oklahoma State had 3 champions in 1962, Masaki Hatta, Ronnie Clinton and Bob Johnson. Kinyon took second as did future heavy weight Joe James who was beaten 2-1 by Wayne Baughman of Oklahoma at 191 pounds.
To sum up this very long post, Ronnie Clinton wrestled for Blackwell, not Ponca City as Mike Chapman related.I feel reasonably certain that Clinton's injury did not come from a shaving mirror accident but from a pipe repair. In any case Ronnie Clinton was a true warrior and one of my first heroes, having watched that tournament in 1962 where he won with virtually one hand.

BTW, This diatribe was not to besmirch Mike Chapman who is legendary as a wrestling writer, hall of fame member and at least five time wrestling writer of the year,not to mention founding Win Magazine. He,like any writer can be given incorrect information which he apparently was on Ronnie Clinton but that does not detract from his long and honored career.

Reactions: Wrassler17
I thought it was interesting that in John's post match comments didn't seem all that disappointed with Kaid. Sounded like he thought he wrestled tough.

I thought it was interesting that in John's post match comments didn't seem all that disappointed with Kaid. Sounded like he thought he wrestled tough.
Honestly, I think Kaid will have Demas figured out the next time they meet. Obviously Demas is a very talented wrestler, but he only really went for Greco moves. He will get figured out of he keeps that up.

Dude. What is your problem with Gfeller? You made comments in another thread about he and Brock in ranking matches which was completely false. Cut it out.
Assuming I have a problem with G? If you knew the past post by Wheeling about boo you would understand. And yes Kaid did beat G and Geo on the same day of there ranking matches. You have no clue what your talking about.

tournament, while he was shaving his hand slipped and fell onto a mirror shattering the glass. .

not that it matters a whole lot but that is not exactly the way Ron told me

I'm pretty sure he wrestled at Ponca City and cut his hand making a peanut butter and jelly sammich...... not that it matters. : )

I'm pretty sure he wrestled at Ponca City and cut his hand making a peanut butter and jelly sammich...... not that it matters. : )

Ok we know you are just pulling a leg on that one cause we are talking about early 1960s and they hadn't even put peanut butter and jelly together yet, plus sliced bread didn't even come to Oklahoma till sump'n like 1958, correct? ;)

Reactions: tfpoke and oberebo
About as close as I called it. Harley, you gotta know by now I’m always right. :)

Not sure what to make of our team right now. Didn’t see a ton of aggressiveness, like I’d hoped I’d see.

I will say for whomever wrote it, the idea that Rosselli left anyone out of the lineup to help with potential seeding later on down the line is missing the bigger point that no one who missed yesterday’s dual will be in a seedlings battle with their OSU counterpart.

Moody missed yesterday....does anyone believe that’s going to make a difference in the Big 12 seedlings meeting against Piccinnini? The only potential weight where that might take place would be 141, and Dom wrestled Kaid. If Rosselli was ducking anybody, that would have been the weight he would have ducked. But he didn’t.

About as close as I called it. Harley, you gotta know by now I’m always right. :)

Not sure what to make of our team right now. Didn’t see a ton of aggressiveness, like I’d hoped I’d see.

I will say for whomever wrote it, the idea that Rosselli left anyone out of the lineup to help with potential seeding later on down the line is missing the bigger point that no one who missed yesterday’s dual will be in a seedlings battle with their OSU counterpart.

Moody missed yesterday....does anyone believe that’s going to make a difference in the Big 12 seedlings meeting against Piccinnini? The only potential weight where that might take place would be 141, and Dom wrestled Kaid. If Rosselli was ducking anybody, that would have been the weight he would have ducked. But he didn’t.

Has Woodley been hurt?

125 - Not sure why Moody didn’t make the trip. But Nick just looked dominant.

133 - Man, who is this Fix character? Is he a walk-on?

141 - Ok, I’m not going to make a lot of fans with this, but I vehemently disagree with the stalling calls on Demas, and here’s why. Kaid wrestled about the entire match with his head down and blocking Dom from attacking. The ref let that bit of stalling go. But Dom, while not backing up and standing in the middle of the mat, gets called twice for stalling? The crowd got that call for Kaid. The rest of the OU team stalled, and backed up in most matches. I 100% agreed with those calls. But not in Dom’s match.

149 - Gfeller is just a tough, tough kid. Look forward to watching him grow and develop. Whomever emerges between he and Boo is going to be an All-American. Speaking of development, Davion looks like the same kid he did out of high school. Just not impressed with his lack of improvement after a stellar HS career.

157 - A good, fun match to watch. Congrats to Shomers.

165 - Chandler’s a beast, and a great pinner. This and the 125 pound match didn’t last long enough to discuss the OU wrestler.

174 - Ok, here’s my biggest disappointment. Nothing against Jacobs, who’s just tough as nails, but Mantanona looked like he was asleep. For a kid who won the UWW World Team trials in both Freestyle and Greco, I don’t get how he could look so uninterested.

184-HWT - OU guys just looked beaten. Of course, having to go against Preston and White, just not a fair matchup. We were just outgunned (a theme for the whole day).

Great match by OSU. Not sure where that leaves OU, to be honest. A lot of room for improvement needed just to get to be considered even a top twenty type team.

141 - Ok, I’m not going to make a lot of fans with this, but I vehemently disagree with the stalling calls on Demas, and here’s why. Kaid wrestled about the entire match with his head down and blocking Dom from attacking. The ref let that bit of stalling go. But Dom, while not backing up and standing in the middle of the mat, gets called twice for stalling? The crowd got that call for Kaid. The rest of the OU team stalled, and backed up in most matches. I 100% agreed with those calls. But not in Dom’s match.

I honestly don't disagree with you at all. If it was the other way around I probably wouldn't have been thrilled with the stalling calls.

I honestly don't disagree with you at all. If it was the other way around I probably wouldn't have been thrilled with the stalling calls.
I thought Demas was locking him up with the underhooks and just holding him there to kill clock. He wasn't trying to score IMHO, I could see that called stalling. Not sure it deserved two stalling calls and a point.... but agree the penalty point was bogus.

I thought the penalty point for unnecessary roughness (or whatever he called) was unnecessary as well. Brock did continue the action twice after the ref blew the whistle, both times dumping Dom pretty hard. I don’t think either one warranted the call, but I guess the ref just thought that after the first time he needed to put a stop to that. Again, I didn’t agree with it. Just thinking this was why it was called.

Oberebo and I were curious why Kaid would go upper body with Demas anyway. That’s his forte. He’s going to have to show some low level stuff or people will figure him out pretty quickly.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Moody got teched or lost by a near tech at Las Vegas then forfeited his consolation match so I assume he has an injury of some sort

125 - Not sure why Moody didn’t make the trip. But Nick just looked dominant.

174 - Ok, here’s my biggest disappointment. Nothing against Jacobs, who’s just tough as nails, but Mantanona looked like he was asleep. For a kid who won the UWW World Team trials in both Freestyle and Greco, I don’t get how he could look so uninterested.Great match by OSU. Not sure where that leaves OU, to be honest. A lot of room for improvement needed just to get to be considered even a top twenty type team.

Agree. The OU kid at 174 looked like he had 0 interest in being there. It was bizarre.

Assuming I have a problem with G? If you knew the past post by Wheeling about boo you would understand. And yes Kaid did beat G and Geo on the same day of there ranking matches. You have no clue what your talking about.
They have not had ranking matches........so you don't know what you are talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT