ADVERTISEMENT

Bedlam week

Air_Thurman

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2003
Probably not worth breaking down match by match but where are some spots we could stub our toes?

141- Kaid should handle Demas but I could see Demas sucking Kaid into one of those McKee-type matches with a lot of big moves and turns.
157- I think OU actually has the higher ranked guy here.
197- With no Weigel and Marsden being pretty meh I think you give OU the edge here.

Can OU win three matches against for the first time under their current leadership?

I think Demas will give Kaid trouble unless Kaid wrestles a controlled and smart match (which isn't his style haha). If he does he will win some like 8-3 or 8-4.

I'm a fan of Demas. He is constantly looking to throw you on your head and super aggressive. Other than that OU doesn't bring much to the table. This is a critical year for them IMO. For the coaches sake they need to show they are taking positive steps.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Agree about Demas, he is potentially a very bad matchup for Kaid. Demas is essentially a Greco guy wrestling folkstyle. Kaid needs to avoid the upper body stuff, just keep his attacks low level (and watch the chin whip!).

In terms of the dual, 141, 149 and 197 are where OU has a chance, but I would not be surprised by a shutout.

Reactions: osu2082
Agree about Demas, he is potentially a very bad matchup for Kaid. Demas is essentially a Greco guy wrestling folkstyle. Kaid needs to avoid the upper body stuff, just keep his attacks low level (and watch the chin whip!).

In terms of the dual, 141, 149 and 197 are where OU has a chance, but I would not be surprised by a shutout.

I honestly don't give OU much of a chance at 149. G is wayyy more talented than Jeffries in my opinion.

Ous 197 had some head scratching losses this weekend. I think demas is a great wrestler but I also thought the same of jefferies as a freshman. G shouldn’t have any trouble with davion. I think Marsden loses a close match and I’d give Kaid the slight nod.

Demas was only placer for OU last week. He wrestled McKenna a decent match. He is pretty good on his feet not tough on top. If Weigel is not back 97 will be a hard match to win. Then again Iowa was hoping for a shutout of ISU and were lucky to win.

OU 36
OSU 3

* The three points were for OU wrestlers taunting the OSU guys.

Bedlam is ON, Baby!!!

It’s possible we could shut out OU but it’s Bedlam so look for something strange to happen. I think close matches could happen at 141, 149, 157, 197. BEAT OU !!!!!!!!!!

Shouldn’t Rosselli have had time to move his family to Oklahoma by now? His youngest son wrestled a middle school dual in Ohio tonight.

23 years ago the Sooners actually won in Gallagher-Iba, hasn’t happened since and not happening this year . GO POKES

Thurman you really think Marsden is meh? I wouldn’t call him an AA threat or anything like that but just from a fan standpoint he’s certainly one of the more entertaining upper weights I’ve seen in a while definitely one of the most entertaining back ups. I appreciate his “let it fly” kind of style

Thurman you really think Marsden is meh? I wouldn’t call him an AA threat or anything like that but just from a fan standpoint he’s certainly one of the more entertaining upper weights I’ve seen in a while definitely one of the most entertaining back ups. I appreciate his “let it fly” kind of style

I think the problem is with Mardsen you either get the let it fly exciting Mardsen or the sleep walking WTH did I just watch Mardsen.

I think the problem is with Mardsen you either get the let it fly exciting Mardsen or the sleep walking WTH did I just watch Mardsen.

Exactly, I've made the comment that Marsden is actually the OC for Cowboy Football.

I have shared part of this story before but the above article and the quotes from Gfeller and others have made me reflect on my first Bedlam match.
My first Bedlam match was in 1960 and it was also my first wrestling match. I had graduated from St.Gregory's in Shawnee when it was a high school in 1959 and I first attended college at Central State in Edmond but dropped out the second semester when my father died in March of 1960. I enrolled at OSU in the fall of 1960 having never attended a wrestling match as St. Gregory's did not have wrestling. When the Bedlam match rolled around several of my friends asked me to attend.Back in those days Gallagher Hall(Not Gallagher Iba arena) had a seating capacity of less than 7,000 and the student activity tickets were only good for every other match as believe it or not the Arena could not hold all of the students who wanted to attend the match. I had to trade my ID for another student's ID to attend.
The arena was packed for Bedlam and just the atmosphere awoke in me a desire to see how this would play out. The first match was at 118 pounds and the first wrestler I watched was Mark McCracken. He was exciting to watch and won his match and by the end of the first match I was hooked on wrestling and more specifically Cowboy wrestling. He was followed by Masaki Hatta and my love affair with wrestling began in earnest. That night I also got to watch wrestlers such as Ronnie Clinton at 167 who I still believe may have been the best takedown expert I have ever seen. Phil Kinyon was back from the Army and wrestled at 157 that night and Bob Johnson who was a 157 pounder wrestled up two weights as this two time national champion could not beat out either Kinyon or Clinton. Another Blackwell boy besides Ronnie Clinton was the heavy weight Ted Ellis and he was the returning national champion and he had legendary battles with Dale Lewis the heavy weight from OU. There were by my count, five national or future national champions in the lineup that night.
I did not miss a dual meet at Gallagher that year and in 1962
I attended my first National championship in Gallagher. I listened to all the away matches during that four years. Jack Griffith, the son of Art Griffith who was the second coach after Gallagher was the radio announcer. Jack had a voice that many comedians over the years have imitated when making fun of an Okie drawl. You could envision the straw sticking between his teeth when you heard him on the radio. He was unabashedly a "HOMER" and never saw a takedown against an OK State wrestler that was legitimate but railed against the referees when they did not give the boys in Orange and Black their legitimate takedowns.
I have not missed many Big 12 and National Championships since 1960 and certainly have not missed more than 1 or 2 home duals. All of this stems from that first Bedlam match in Gallagher Hall in 1960. Some times at the young age of 77 I tend to blend the first few years of my wrestling experience and make a few errors in the exact dates or years that a wrestler may have participated so forgive any slip-ups in this narrative. It all happened but maybe not in the exact order it transpired.
"LETS GO POKES"

Last edited:
I have shared part of this story before but the above article and the quotes from Gfeller and others have made me reflect on my first Bedlam match.
My first Bedlam match was in 1960 and it was also my first wrestling match. I had graduated from St.Gregory's in Shawnee when it was a high school in 1959 and I first attended college at Central State in Edmond but dropped out the second semester when my father died in March of 1960. I enrolled at OSU in the fall of 1960 having never attended a wrestling match as St. Gregory's did not have wrestling. When the Bedlam match rolled around several of my friends asked me to attend.Back in those days Gallagher Hall(Not Gallagher Iba arena) had a seating capacity of less than 7,000 and the student activity tickets were only good for every other match as believe it or not the Arena could not hold all of the students who wanted to attend the match. I had to trade my ID for another student's ID to attend.
The arena was packed for Bedlam and just the atmosphere awoke in me a desire to see how this would play out. The first match was at 118 pounds and the first wrestler I watched was Mark McCracken. He was exciting to watch and won his match and by the end of the first match I was hooked on wrestling and more specifically Cowboy wrestling. He was followed by Masaki Hatta and my love affair with wrestling began in earnest. That night I also got to watch wrestlers such as Ronnie Clinton at 167 who I still believe may have been the best takedown expert I have ever seen. Phil Kinyon was back from the Army and wrestled at 157 that night and Bob Johnson who was a 157 pounder wrestled up two weights as this two time national champion could not beat out either Kinyon or Clinton. Another Blackwell boy besides Ronnie Clinton was the heavy weight Ted Ellis and he was the returning national champion and he had legendary battles with Dale Lewis the heavy weight from OU. There were by my count, five national or future national champions in the lineup that night.
I did not miss a dual meet at Gallagher that year and in 1962
I attended my first National championship in Gallagher. I listened to all the away matches during that four years. Jack Griffith, the son of Art Griffith who was the second coach after Gallagher was the radio announcer. Jack had a voice that many comedians over the years have imitated when making fun of an Okie drawl. You could envision the straw sticking between his teeth when you heard him on the radio. He was unabashedly a "HOMER" and never saw a takedown against an OK State wrestler that was legitimate but railed against the referees when they did not give the boys in Orange and Black their legitimate takedowns.
I have not missed many Big 12 and National Championships since 1960 and certainly have not missed more than 1 or 2 home duals. All of this stems from that first Bedlam match in Gallagher Hall in 1960. Some times at the young age of 77 I tend to blend the first few years of my wrestling experience and make a few errors in the exact dates or years that a wrestler may have participated so forgive any slip-ups in this narrative. It all happened but maybe not in the exact order it transpired.
"LETS GO POKES"
BTW in that 1962 NCAA championship in Stillwater Ronnie Clinton won the National championship with one hand taped up due to an accident where he had several stitches taken due to trying to fix a pipe at his house and the wrench slipped. Ronnie passed away in 2008 in Illinois. He was born in Blackwell in 1939 but actually wrestled at Ponca City High School.

BTW in that 1962 NCAA championship in Stillwater Ronnie Clinton won the National championship with one hand taped up due to an accident where he had several stitches taken due to trying to fix a pipe at his house and the wrench slipped. Ronnie passed away in 2008 in Illinois. He was born in Blackwell in 1939 but actually wrestled at Ponca City High School.
Used to see Ronnie at coffee and one of the times he relayed the 1962 story with a little more detail but don't believe he mentioned a wrench.

I would think that beating Davion Jeffries is not quite the accomplishment of being an All-American which boo has accomplished. I feel comfortable leaving this with Coach Smith!

Ob
Oberebo, I can not believe you are not feeling my fear with Micco making these predictions of OU tearing up the Cowboys because you would know like I know his predictions for the Bedlam dual are prophetic over the last 20 years.

Ronnie Clinton wrestled for Blackwell. He cut his hand when twisted an old porcelain faucet knob on a sink that was dripping and keeping him awake. doc Cooper has to put stitches on the inside and outside.

No doubt he is fun to watch. I meant meh from a results perspective. I don’t have any real confidence in picking him to win today.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
No doubt he is fun to watch. I meant meh from a results perspective. I don’t have any real confidence in picking him to win today.
The “meh” part may come from his causal/comfortable style of wrestling. When wrestling inferior wrestlers he seems to throw and turn opponents with such ease. Like he expects it. That’s a great characteristic that I like to see. On the other hand, when he gets in a competitive match his style or demeanor comes across as he doesn’t care. I think that is why he got lit up by the head coach last year when he lost to this same ou wrestler, Woodley, at the OCU Open. Woodley got to his legs easily and Marsden seemed to do very little to fight off the take down. Like he expected it to happen also. We have seen that same thing a few times this year too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT