ADVERTISEMENT

What do you do?

MegaPoke

May 29, 2001
Tulsa
www.shipmanphotos.com
Simple question. I thing one of the benefits of a forum like this is networking. I'm constantly amazed at how through day to day conversation I come across people who are looking for what I do, or people who fill a solution for something I need.

So, simple paragraph. What do you do?

Also out of curiosity, do you do what you want to do? Do you believe in the American dream? Are you living it? Are you on track to live it?

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
I am a cyber security analyst for a fortune 4 company with a focus on industrial control systems. I love what I do.

However, being a professional poker player or starting a micro brewery would be my true passion.

Desktop and SCCM Administrator for a large medical device manufacturer. I really enjoy what I do, however, I am hoping to migrate into a sysadmin or security role in the future.

The "American Dream" is a rubbish concept. You only hear about the few successes, but never hear about the hundreds of thousands of failures. More power to people who take the risks. I would've loved to have been a composer, but never played an instrument outside of goofing around. I loved musical history (mostly classical) and loved theory.

Banker, more specifically, a senior credit officer for a large bank. I enjoy what I do, and make a good living doing it. I am very thankful and think about how fortunate I am to no tbe out laying apshalt in July in OK (for example).

Honestly, I think there are many, many people who do not truly have a driving passion to do one specific thing. For those that do and can make it happen? I think that's beautiful. What's really tragic is the person who believes with their entire heart and soul that they want to pursue a specific career or business and pour everything they have into pursuing it and often go deep into debt as well, only to find out that career doesn't fulfill them at all.

I do sometimes think it would be awesome to start a microbrewery also.

Tax consulting for oil and gas companies, upstream and midstream is what I mostly work with. Sales and use, severance, and property are what my firm handles. I lead sales and use.

I have no complaints and was lucky enough to marry a beautiful woman that makes a good living too. I do enjoy coming to work and I live a comfortable life financially. I'm happy where I am right now as far as work and I couldn't say that about my 20s.

I do regret that I wasn't smarter with my money in my 20s. Looking back at what I blew my money on just makes me shake my head.

Last edited:
M&A and transactional attorney. I negotiate contracts and advise on all areas of corporate matters. For example, I handle acquisitions and divestitures ranging from a few million dollars to billions of dollars. Also handle the legal aspects for investors and companies seeking financing. And, I advise on fiduciary duty matters and handle commercial contracts.

I like it. The time demands are tough sometimes. I moved from one of the largest law firms in the world to a mid-sized firm recently and am able to control things more now.

Assistant Professor of United States and Public History at the University of Illinois Springfield, where I answer emails all day, attend meetings, complete mandatory online training sessions, and complain about administration. In my spare time, I teach undergrad classes in 20th-century US history and graduate classes in public history. I'm working on a book proposal based on my dissertation. I'm involved in several public history projects in various stages of development, from a National Register of Historic Places nomination of a 19th-century farm, to establishing a coordinating committee for local events surrounding the 2018 Illinois bicentennial, to co-chairing a working group that focuses on how the "Black Lives Matter" movement has influenced the way we look at race riots and racialized mass violence of the past.

I don't know what the "American Dream" entails. I like my job. The prospect of tenure keeps me from crying every night about the salary and the probability of my pension being slashed.

I would like to start a hipster taqueria in downtown Springfield. Shaggy, tattooed staff in the front blasting obscure 70s rock; hardcore cocineros cranking out the food. No fancified Bayless-style Mexican food, but authentic stuff like tamales, street tacos, and goat and beef barbacoa. Extensive craft beer list and event collaborations with central Illinois breweries.

Last edited:
I am the Employee Concerns Manager for a big, brown parcel shipping company. I read and listen to employees about their issues and complaints and then get them in touch with the person who can address their issue and then I review complaint investigation write ups once the investigations are completed. I work closely with HR managers as well as corporate and outside attorneys who are addressing the employee issues. It's easy to remain neutral because the employee has an issue with their boss or co-worker or they disagree with a company policy or a practice and they are never mad at me. I really enjoy and am good at what I do, but it does kind of wear you down listening to people complain all day. However, I don't have any problems leaving it behind me when I shut off my computer at the end of the day. Plus, I'm retiring in about 4 months, so there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Reactions: MegaPoke
I'm the CFO for a small private marketing insights company here in NYC. It's a young, fun, creative company so I am all about that. Tried the fortune 500 companies and can't stand the bureaucracy that comes along with them.

The other good thing about the job is it affords me the ability to do comedy here in NYC. I do stand up and sketch comedy around town. I have my own monthly show that I host. There really are a lot of funny people in this town and I love working with them. It is great to have worked with people that have "made it" in the industry.

Back to the real job though, I also see a lot of folks in the industry that struggle just to make rent out in places like Queens here and am glad I have the job I do.

I'm an earthquake production assistant. It's a family business that's been going here in okc since the early 70's. Absolutely love what I do. Took a break from that in 2000 and started my own mortgage company. Saw all the money to be made by screwing people in the subprime mortgage market and couldn't resist. I have since gone back to the family business full time. You people are way to smart for me. Thanks for letting me be a part of your daily discussions.

I am the Employee Concerns Manager for a big, brown parcel shipping company. I read and listen to employees about their issues and complaints and then get them in touch with the person who can address their issue and then I review complaint investigation write ups once the investigations are completed. I work closely with HR managers as well as corporate and outside attorneys who are addressing the employee issues. It's easy to remain neutral because the employee has an issue with their boss or co-worker or they disagree with a company policy or a practice and they are never mad at me. I really enjoy and am good at what I do, but it does kind of wear you down listening to people complain all day. However, I don't have any problems leaving it behind me when I shut off my computer at the end of the day. Plus, I'm retiring in about 4 months, so there is light at the end of the tunnel!

You know Andy Tefertiller?

I'm managing the global core capacity design team at Google, and I've had several more roles in 8+ years there. Working around a ton of people a lot smarter than you forces you to stay on your toes. Been a great but very challenging journey. Unfortunately I've only run across 2 other OSU grads in my time, I wish there were more b/c I think we produce folks that can hang with anyone.

Digital creative director for a Louisville ad agency. There isn't much in the advertising world I have't done that I still need. I'm just 33 and CCO is the only step left (kind of feel meh about that.) Only big award I'd want and haven't secured is a Cannes Lion.

I'd much rather be working for Disney making films.

Work for an auto insurance company handling coverage / fraud / litigation files. Not what I planned on doing but pays better than anything with my Ag Comm degree.

If I had a choice, I would be a horseback with a million miles between me and the rest of humanity, but kids and bills and ect. require more.

I am a Food Scientist for a large food company based in Cincinnati, OH. I work directly with customers in national accounts to create proteins (beef, poultry, pork and some veal) to serve in their businesses. I get to do quite a bit of traveling and eat a ton of food. My work is really fun and rewarding, except when you have to deal with Executive Chefs. Brutal.

I am currently working with a partner to start a butcher/artisan meat shop. We'll do specialty cuts, sausages, dry aging etc. We break ground in two weeks. Hopefully within a year I will be doing that full time and out of the corporate lifestyle. So I am tracking towards my American Dream of owning and operating a small business.

Tax Accountant for a big 4 public accounting firm in Dallas. Primarily focus on tax accounting for financial statements of multinational audit clients. Also provide M&A tax consulting for non-audit multinational clients.

Would love to remodel/flip houses. Not sure if people really make money flipping houses, so I have never pursued it.

CPA. I audit auditors. Travel the world. Love my job.

Wife has a bookkeeping business if anyone has the need.

I am currently working with a partner to start a butcher/artisan meat shop. We'll do specialty cuts, sausages, dry aging etc. We break ground in two weeks. Hopefully within a year I will be doing that full time and out of the corporate lifestyle. So I am tracking towards my American Dream of owning and operating a small business.

Will this be in OKC by chance? If so let me know when it opens I will have to stop by.

I work with at risk teens in a residential setting in Central Texas. I've been there for ten years now. The benefits are nice, the work is never boring and highly rewarding at times (especially once you've been at it long enough to see how much change you are making... It happens at a glacier pace 90% of the time and really gets the new folks down because they have no perspective. Some people aren't designed to work on faith and that's fine. They just won't succeed working with me) but my pay sucks and I am just now realizing I haven't been playing enough office politics to move up if/when I want to. I'll have to work I that last part.

Yes, this is what I want to do. I feel like I'm saving the world one neglected, abused or forgotten teen at a time, and my employer is willing to spend what it takes to support me and the heroes I work with in our tasks (I wouldn't mind if they put a little more of that in my paycheck though).

Am I living the America Dream? No, I pick up the pieces it leaves behind. I respect and admire entrepenuers, but I kind of hate the phrase "American Dream."

Started out in product development for a cable/telecommunications company. Then formed my own company launching ISPs to small towns. Now run product operations for a telecommunications company.
A plus is they allow me to live in Tulsa even though most of work is outside the state - so I am happy. And i coach competitive basketball.

Reactions: shortbus
Professor in the Department of Geography at Oklahoma State University. In my 20th year at OSU -- 6-7 more until I could retire (although I will most likely go about 10 more if my health holds up and I do not completely burn out - I am 57 and had a benign tumor removed from my head this past summer). All in all feeling better than I have in years (it is amazing what one little tumor on the pituitary gland can cause), so I am hopeful for 10 more good years and then I can get to 30.

Professor in the Department of Geography at Oklahoma State University. In my 20th year at OSU -- 6-7 more until I could retire (although I will most likely go about 10 more if my health holds up and I do not completely burn out - I am 57 and had a benign tumor removed from my head this past summer). All in all feeling better than I have in years (it is amazing what one little tumor on the pituitary gland can cause), so I am hopeful for 10 more good years and then I can get to 30.
This beer, 3 floyds Gorch Fock, is to your continued health!

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Simple question. I thing one of the benefits of a forum like this is networking. I'm constantly amazed at how through day to day conversation I come across people who are looking for what I do, or people who fill a solution for something I need.

So, simple paragraph. What do you do?

Also out of curiosity, do you do what you want to do? Do you believe in the American dream? Are you living it? Are you on track to live it?
Vice Chancellor at one of the largest community college systems in the country.

CPA , run a good sized firm in Tulsa , love helping people achieve the dream , do it everyday

Grown from myself to 13 employees

Previously worked Fortune 500 , as others have said to much bureaucracy

I also dabble in real estate investing and stock trading

Reactions: osutater
Pain Management Doctor. Do injections, fix vertebral compression fractures, and try to convince people to turn down their medicines, be more active, and quit smoking. I enjoy it and it is the result of 9 years of additional school and training after leaving Stillwater. I think I have found a great niche for me. I kinda move around in a gray area between primary care doctor and surgeon with none of the headaches of either. I like it much better than my previous life as an anesthesiologist. I saw a surgeon I worked with in residency at walk around and I didn't say anything to him because I knew he wouldn't know who I was as nobody gave two shits about who the anesthesiologist was for the most part.

I am an optometrist and own my own practice. Overall I like it. I love working with my staff and helping people. I only work four days a week, so I have plenty of time for family and my various hobbies. I do think that I am living the American dream. The biggest pain in the butt is keeping up with the ever-changing ideas the government comes up with about healthcare.

I am a commercial insurance agent in Tulsa and really enjoy what I do. I essentially run my own small business as I can come and go as I please, have very little oversight, and can control my own income.

Extremely tough industry to enter and become successful. I got lucky and had someone who took me under their wing and helped me become successful. The earning potential and freedom is awfully hard to beat in the profession.

The only thing I would have possibly rather done at one point, and it was something in which I walked down the path for a bit would be working in athletic administration.

I'm a contracts administrator for a government contracting company. I've only been there a year. Prior to that, I was a practicing attorney. I made a career change after a decade of being a sub-standard attorney (I was terrible at public speaking and I couldn't find clients to save my life). I've never really had a mentor of any kind. I still have my bar license.

I don't particularly enjoy my current position. Not very interesting and not a lot of in-person contact. Somedays I go the whole day without a face-to-face conversation.

Back to the drawing board . . .

I am a Food Scientist for a large food company based in Cincinnati, OH. I work directly with customers in national accounts to create proteins (beef, poultry, pork and some veal) to serve in their businesses. I get to do quite a bit of traveling and eat a ton of food. My work is really fun and rewarding, except when you have to deal with Executive Chefs. Brutal.

Hoping this is the one coming to Stillwater! Can't wait for that to get up and running.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT