ADVERTISEMENT

What do you do?

I'm a computer engineer working for Micron Technology. We are trying to make SSD controller chips - the 'brains' of a solid state drive.

The pay is good but the politics are mind numbing - endless middle management empires and fiefdoms and little true desire to come together and produce quality designs in a timely fashion.

I get restless when I'm not learning and honestly in my 17.5 yr career I haven't done a lot of 'repeat' work because I usually start looking for another position when the restlessness comes.

I might have to take some initiative and develop some new skills on my own before much longer. Not many employers here in the CO front range looking for my skillset in my salary range.

And since engineers brew beer and our office is literally next door to Oskar Blues Brewery in Longmont, I would be interested in the microbrewery route someday myself.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Spent the first four years of my career as an auditor at a Big 4 firm. A year and a half ago, I left and am now doing SEC reporting and technical accounting for an upstream E&P company. I like my boss a lot, as well as most of the people I work with, and like what I'm doing a lot, as well. I see opportunities for career advancement when my boss retires in a few years, or elsewhere if I'm not promoted to replace him.

If I were to do anything else, I think I would teach accounting at the high school level (if it paid much much more).

I got one of them thar medicool deegrease and now I sit on my ass at home and stare at this here compooter all dam day and huff paintz.

Got that Merican dream by the nutsak.

Ok ok...no I'm not that crazy lol.

I was once an anesthesiologist like BBB but health issues (lymphoma) and life in general made me decide I needed to make a change. I work for a company that is way too damn big and mean and I'm now what's known as a "physician advisor", we review charts at various hospitals and aid in determining risk and solidify the argument for either an inpatient or observation stay. That's the quick and dirty definition. It's a great job as I can sit at home and watch movies while I work and post on here all damn day. I'm actually "at work" in my profile pic....

My job was great when I first started, but United Health Group bought the company and they are slowly but surely destroying this company that was started by a physician back in the late 90s. It's still a good job in some ways, I'm able to play with and buy my toys with the gas money I save not driving to work. 3 day work weeks and every other weekend is a 4 days weekend (I work every other weekend), so I work half the year really in terms of days worked. But...it can be boring at times...thus, paintz.

Hoping this is the one coming to Stillwater! Can't wait for that to get up and running.
I'm starting in Enid. My 3 year plan was to get our Enid shop going and leave my partner here to run it and my wife and I move back to Stillwater to start one there that'd I'd run.

I gotta say selfishly, I was a little disappointed when I read about the two guys starting the shop in Stillwater but I wish them the best of luck. I think they'll be successful. Lots and lots of these types of places around the country opening and having success. I can't wait to get ours in Enid going.

Reactions: GreenEggPoke
I think most of you know that I am a Veterinarian. Own my own practice. Absolutely love what I do. Every day is interesting. Work with a great group of people. Love my job. About to turn 50 and working on saving up for retirement, but can't even imagine not going to work every day.

Spent the first four years of my career as an auditor at a Big 4 firm. A year and a half ago, I left and am now doing SEC reporting and technical accounting for an upstream E&P company. I like my boss a lot, as well as most of the people I work with, and like what I'm doing a lot, as well. I see opportunities for career advancement when my boss retires in a few years, or elsewhere if I'm not promoted to replace him.

If I were to do anything else, I think I would teach accounting at the high school level (if it paid much much more).

I was at AA and EY for almost 7 years. The last few years in public accounting, each day was worse than the day before, which meant that everyday was the worst day of my life.

Engineering manager for the largest oilfield services company in the world...seemed pretty cool up through last year, but pretty much has sucked this year. I do like the people I work with and the technology I get to play with, but would prefer oil prices to get back up a little.

Engineering manager for the largest oilfield services company in the world...seemed pretty cool up through last year, but pretty much has sucked this year. I do like the people I work with and the technology I get to play with, but would prefer oil prices to get back up a little.

I bet you would!

Pres/CEO of a business that has multiple elements; guest ranch, horse breeding operation, fishing/hunting operation, alfalfa, grass hay, cow/calf operation, yearling operation, and a trucking company.

If there is a way to go broke, we try to engage in that activity.

Pres/CEO of a business that has multiple elements; guest ranch, horse breeding operation, fishing/hunting operation, alfalfa, grass hay, cow/calf operation, yearling operation, and a trucking company.

If there is a way to go broke, we try to engage in that activity.

What, no chicken houses?

Brooke keeps trying to get me to put up a chicken coup on the ranch. I told her we haven't even contemplated all the ways those chickens will be sacrificed. If I had a chicken last more than 90 days it would be a miracle.

Reactions: TheRedSon
Brooke keeps trying to get me to put up a chicken coup on the ranch. I told her we haven't even contemplated all the ways those chickens will be sacrificed. If I had a chicken last more than 90 days it would be a miracle.

Those "organic" farmers love them some chickens.

Geologist/Senior Project Manager with a large environmental consulting firm. Projects include investigating and cleaning up contaminated properties, assisting with due diligence for real estate transactions, and environmental compliance. I have been doing this for more than 25 years and for the most part it has been pretty interesting work. I have a client with several large projects in Oklahoma now so I have enjoyed getting to do some work in my home state.

I show up an hour late for work, then sit in my office for another hour deleting emails. I might see a patient or two, two days a week. Then I sit in front of the computer all afternoon. Some days I operate. Very typical transplant surgeon stuff.

I show up an hour late for work, then sit in my office for another hour deleting emails. I might see a patient or two, two days a week. Then I sit in front of the computer all afternoon. Some days I operate. Very typical transplant surgeon stuff.

I have some joints that need transplanted. And maybe a Crohn's infested intestine. Is there black market for those?

Like been jammin, i am a small animal veterinarian, but i do not own the practice (not ready for that). I am working towards board certification in the american college of veterinary preventative medicine (public health). I also do some research and epidemiology of infectious diseases, Rabies, predominantly. I also get to work with the county HazMat teams and disaster preparedness (new for me this year).

I love what i do, and take full advantage of the variety that my degrees give me. American dream? Eh, cliche as it may sound, it is what you make of it. I enjoy my career.

Next to wannabe-brewer, the most prevalent profession here seems to be accounting. My wife recently left a big 4 firm in Chicago that starts with 'D' to work at a smaller public firm here in Springfield. Is there a support group of spouses of CPAs? TIA.

Reactions: squeak
Geologist/Senior Project Manager with a large environmental consulting firm. Projects include investigating and cleaning up contaminated properties, assisting with due diligence for real estate transactions, and environmental compliance. I have been doing this for more than 25 years and for the most part it has been pretty interesting work. I have a client with several large projects in Oklahoma now so I have enjoyed getting to do some work in my home state.
Do you ever work on any NEPA environmental assessment stuff regarding Historic Preservation Act protocols?

Do you ever work on any NEPA environmental assessment stuff regarding Historic Preservation Act protocols?
I don't personally, but we have a team that does a good deal of NEPA-related work. A lot of it lately is for pipelines, or so-called "linear permitting". I had a project where we had to build a gabion wall to prevent erosion of contaminated soils into a creek near an old pesticide plant. A Corps of Engineers permit was required for the work, which triggered several NEPA investigations including archaeological (native American or settler encampments, etc.).

Reactions: Anodyne
Currently working as a PT Tech at a new physical therapy clinic in Ardmore after working the past 8 years as a teacher/coach. Kinda, sorta taking the year "off" while working 4 days a week. Was fired from my coaching positions at my alma mater after some small town, "you didn't say my daughter was the best and we know she is even though we never played sports and may have a combined IQ of 90" parents made a deal with our sports hating, female in a position of power hating administrator so that they could bring in their hand-picked coach. Make almost half of what I did as a teacher/coach, but with way less stress and home by 5 most nights. Finished my Masters degree in Sports Administration in July after thinking I wanted to become a HS AD or work in a collegiate athletic department. Sports are my passion but I was forced into teaching a subject I was not hired to teach (English), throw in the drama of small-town politics, and the last two years of my life were spent dreading going to work each day. If I could do it all over again, I would probably try to become a GA straight out of college and get into collegiate coaching. I really wish OSU had the sports management and sports media degrees when I was in school, but they came just after.

If anyone has any connections with Deer Creek Public Schools, I would be greatly interested in working in what is largely considered the best school district on the western half of Oklahoma!

I used to be a trial lawyer. I was strong. Proud. Happy. Computers, email, deadlines, payroll, employees and the boredom of discovery fights and endless briefing against paper tigers have made me fat, pale and bitchy.
Do I know you?

Next to wannabe-brewer, the most prevalent profession here seems to be accounting. My wife recently left a big 4 firm in Chicago that starts with 'D' to work at a smaller public firm here in Springfield. Is there a support group of spouses of CPAs? TIA.
Tax or audit?

Work for the OSU veterinary teaching hospital trying to figure out how to do more with less. Little known fact is that we are funded at less than 25% so everything else is self generated. I enjoy what I do but we have a lot to do. We need to work better with our referring veterinarians first and foremost. But as times are getting harder maybe it's time to explore strategic relationships with other practices and other creative ideas. It's an interesting dynamic that I find very challenging. I used to watch our former two Deans talk about their passion and the quality of students we produce when I helped with the budget and the presentation to the regents...never thought I would get to be a part of it. Very thankful for the opportunity. But I have to admit that the youngest child will graduate in a couple of years so it's time to figure out the next stage in life (but that could be 10 years away).

Greenegg, how long have you been there? I am an 06 grad.

First went to medical skool and was miserable so I dropped out with no real plan other than to find a path I could be happy with. This was an incredibly tough decisioin but I came to understand that a large population of the newly practicing docs (and older more experienced ones as well) are unhappy with their career which is exactly where I didn't want to be. While living in my parents house and floundering I came across an opportunity to join a start up Medical Device company - Mazor Robotics. I was the 4th employee and 6 years later we're over 300 people world wide so business is good. I was just promoted to Director Training which means I create, manage, & oversee world wide clincal & capital training as well as all external training of surgeons (orthopedic & neurosurgeons) on how to use our spine/brain robot.

What I enjoy:
1) I originally went do the medical school path because I genuinely want to help people in need. In this gig I know I am - indirectly - helping thousands of patients with debilitating back pain receive the most cutting edge, safe, surgery there is available.
2) Our technology is incredible and really works (otherwise I couldn't do this job)
3) Creativity in putting content together for education
4) Coworkers are all top notch (brought one of my best friends on board early)
5) Interacting with some of the most brilliant-minded, reknowned surgeons

What I could do without:
1) Quarterly driven company - what have you done for me lately
2) Love/Hate relationship with travel
3) Growing pains of a small company i.e. installing processes in day-to-day
4) Living in Orlando BUT am moving closer to home (Stillwater) come this December!

Reactions: CowboyJD
Been an Independent Insurance Agent for 13 years. Enjoy what I do the majority of the time. Part time onion burger chef. Enjoy the security of the insurance business but always thought it would be fun to run my own bar and grill.

I am in the commercial insurance business but I really want to make enough money to take care of all my responsibilities I have taken on and just leave a pile of cash on the desk. Then walk out and move to Alaska and just live off the grid for the rest of my life. If anything happens to my wife before we have kids I will do this for sure.

Reactions: osutater
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT