ADVERTISEMENT

Upcoming Competitions

This post reeks of straight trash lol
trash.... listen bud sometimes we as fans need to take off the orange glasses and call it like it is... pic will have trouble at 33 (he had problems with bigger guys at 25), kaid has had trouble with bigger guys and gfeller is good but not great (kaid and gfeller seem to make bad decisions in there matches sometimes; gfeller is easy to game plan against) joe has never been a good scrambler and it showed again in a free style match this past week. he also gave up his legs and take downs with out much fight. i know injuries have been a problem but that is half of his problem. as mentioned before he does not take care of his body (meaning outside of the wrestling room).

northmarion,

No offense, but coming on a team board and writing off a freshman who hasn't even wrestled an official match for Oklahoma State then accusing a two-time All-American of not doing what it takes off the mat within your first 3 posts (ie: before you've established any sort of credibility) isn't likely to be well received.

This is the offseason so what else are we going to do but speculate. However, you should take a look back at the University Nationals held last year in this slot (before U23s were a thing for UWW and USA Wrestling) and look at the records of some of the 2016-17 redshirts that went on to do big things in 2017-18. A lot can change, we don't know how much these guys have been training, how hard they were cutting, etc, etc. They got good reps against some quality competition and, in many cases, know what they need to improve upon if they are to move up in weight. I'm sure they all wanted to win more, but the doom and gloom for next season is a little silly. Obviously, Cleveland leaves a bad taste in any fans mouth, but the Cowboys aren't winning the title next year, period. There is still a lot to look forward to.

My lineup guess (caveat that I have no idea what Jacobe is going to do...if he is wrestling, I really wonder if we see Rogers try 184 after what he did last weekend...probably comes down to who can beat who in the Jacobe/Rogers/Geer rotation. An injured Jacobe, even with the time to rehab, is hard to count on, though.):
125 - Fix
133 - Picc
141 - Brock
149 - Boo
157 - Blaylock/Shomers
165 - Joe Smith
174 - Rogers/Jacobe
184 - Geer
197 - Weigel
285 - White

This is kind of a follow up to my post in the other thread.

However it shakes out, I just hope the coaches and wrestlers can agree now on the weights and then commit to them. Normally you have guys certify at the lowest possible weight to provide coverage & flexibility. But I think that's a mistake with next year's lineup. If Daton is set on being at 125, great, then allow Picc to go full bore adding size & strength for 133 this off season. But don't hedge and plan to have him certify at 125. Same with Kaid, if he wants to go 133, great. But if he wants to go 141, then let him do it the right way by eating and lifting now, don't make him certify at 133. Same for guys like Joe, Chandler, and Jacobe. Make a plan and commit to it.

Sure there's some risk, what if Daton gets injured or can't make 125 on 1 hour weigh ins. Well then Jet Taylor can wrestle 125 and you leave Picc (or Kaid) at 133. I just think guys should be given every chance to be successful if they are going up in weight.

Reactions: OkieSpladle
This is kind of a follow up to my post in the other thread.

However it shakes out, I just hope the coaches and wrestlers can agree now on the weights and then commit to them. Normally you have guys certify at the lowest possible weight to provide coverage & flexibility. But I think that's a mistake with next year's lineup. If Daton is set on being at 125, great, then allow Picc to go full bore adding size & strength for 133 this off season. But don't hedge and plan to have him certify at 125. Same with Kaid, if he wants to go 133, great. But if he wants to go 141, then let him do it the right way by eating and lifting now, don't make him certify at 133. Same for guys like Joe, Chandler, and Jacobe. Make a plan and commit to it.

Sure there's some risk, what if Daton gets injured or can't make 125 on 1 hour weigh ins. Well then Jet Taylor can wrestle 125 and you leave Picc (or Kaid) at 133. I just think guys should be given every chance to be successful if they are going up in weight.

Completely agree. The decisions, as much as possible, should already be made and guys should be committed to their new weights 100%.

Reactions: Wrassler17
i hope it plays out like this

fix
pic/brock
gfeller
boo
shommers/jonce
rogers
jacobe
geer
wiegle
white

does anyone know what happen to geo an why he is not in the mix at 49 or 57. i know he was injured but havent heard the severity

northmarion,

No offense, but coming on a team board and writing off a freshman who hasn't even wrestled an official match for Oklahoma State then accusing a two-time All-American of not doing what it takes off the mat within your first 3 posts (ie: before you've established any sort of credibility) isn't likely to be well received.

This is the offseason so what else are we going to do but speculate. However, you should take a look back at the University Nationals held last year in this slot (before U23s were a thing for UWW and USA Wrestling) and look at the records of some of the 2016-17 redshirts that went on to do big things in 2017-18. A lot can change, we don't know how much these guys have been training, how hard they were cutting, etc, etc. They got good reps against some quality competition and, in many cases, know what they need to improve upon if they are to move up in weight. I'm sure they all wanted to win more, but the doom and gloom for next season is a little silly. Obviously, Cleveland leaves a bad taste in any fans mouth, but the Cowboys aren't winning the title next year, period. There is still a lot to look forward to.

My lineup guess (caveat that I have no idea what Jacobe is going to do...if he is wrestling, I really wonder if we see Rogers try 184 after what he did last weekend...probably comes down to who can beat who in the Jacobe/Rogers/Geer rotation. An injured Jacobe, even with the time to rehab, is hard to count on, though.):
125 - Fix
133 - Picc
141 - Brock
149 - Boo
157 - Blaylock/Shomers
165 - Joe Smith
174 - Rogers/Jacobe
184 - Geer
197 - Weigel
285 - White

No offense taken Okie. I understand I may have ruffled a few feathers but I was just giving my honest opinion. I am a OSU fan an I guess I got a little frustrated by the talks on how good Joe looked (ORANGE GLASSES) when I thought he did not look good at all (we were making excuses for him not being in shape) (He is suppose to be a high level wrestler so not being in shape isn't a good excuse and if you watched the matches he gave up take downs to guys i have never heard of).

Also I never wrote Gfeller off, I was just giving my opinion of what I have saw out of him from the last several years. He is a good wrestler but I do not think he is a world beater. I think he is a round of 12 type guy. I may not post a lot but I do have good inside information about what is going on with the team; So my comments on Joe are not an assumption (facts about him not taking care of his body).

Right now this is how I see the lineup also. The moving so many up a weight didn't seem to work this weekend. Most of our guys did not seem strong enough to do real well up a weight.

Good thing the season doesn’t start tomorrow.

Reactions: osu2082
The Junior Greco WTT are 6/7-8. Bear Hughes is sitting in the 87 kg finals and Austin Harris is sitting in the 97 kg finals. Jet Taylor is registered at 60 kg.
I believe the challenge tournament is tomorrow and the finals are on Friday.

Bear Hughes wins both finals matches and makes the Junior Greco World Team at 87 kg. Congrats Bear!

Austin Harris drops both finals matches and finishes runner up at 97 kg. Still a very good showing by him. Wrestled at 184 a few months back and now up at 213 here.

Problem is I don't know who these guys in his bracket are. Are any of them ranked in top 10 in the world?
Alex is ranked #4 per Flo. Of the top ten wrestlers at 79kg six are from Russia but the 3 Russians entered are not ranked. Shabanau from Belorussia is ranked 8th. No others ranked at least according to Flo. Kyle Dake is #2 at this weight and as mentioned Alex is ranked #4.Per the bracket Alex would not meet Shabanau until the finals if seedings held up.

Alex is ranked #4 per Flo. Of the top ten wrestlers at 79kg six are from Russia but the 3 Russians entered are not ranked. Shabanau from Belorussia is ranked 8th. No others ranked at least according to Flo. Kyle Dake is #2 at this weight and as mentioned Alex is ranked #4.Per the bracket Alex would not meet Shabanau until the finals if seedings held up.
Great info. I don't follow the Senior Circuit other than our own so this is very helpful. Thank you

i hope it plays out like this

fix
pic/brock
gfeller
boo
shommers/jonce
rogers
jacobe
geer
wiegle
white

does anyone know what happen to geo an why he is not in the mix at 49 or 57. i know he was injured but havent heard the severity[/QUOTE

You think Joe Smith will be on the bench? That is comical, but maybe you know something I don`t know if not that is ludicrous to think Joe will not be a starter this year.

doesn't seem like a very complete lineup compared to past years- I know womens wrestling is the wave of the future, but think they need a full men's lineup to draw attention to the women

141: Seth Gross (South Dakota State) Vs. Tariq Wilson (North Carolina State)
141: Joey McKenna (Ohio State) Vs. Kaid Brock (Oklahoma State) –149: Mitch Finesilver (Duke) Vs. Matt Kolodzik (Princeton) –
174: Myles Amine (Michigan) Vs. Jacobe Smith (Oklahoma State) – 
184: Max Dean (Cornell) Vs. Taylor Venz (Nebraska) – Release
285: Derek White (Oklahoma St.)  – Youssif Hemida (Maryland)

Women
109: Charlotte Fowler (Campbellsville) Vs. Maria Vidales (Emmanuel) –
123: Gabriela Ramos-Diaz (Wayland Baptist) Vs. Dominique Parrish (Simon Fraser) – Release
130: Erika Mihalca (Missouri Baptist) Vs. Abby Nette (Emmanuel)
143: Nicole Joseph (King) Vs. Alexis Porter (McKendree) –
170: Brittany Marshall (Wayland Baptist) Vs.  Mariah Harris (Campbellsville) –

I don't know that I would call women's wrestling the wave of the future and if this event wants to grow and not shrink they need to work to make more big-time men's matchups happen.

This is the weakest lineup I can remember.

Track shows 10 guys registered for the Bob Smith Open, including Joe at 174. Andrew Marsden is the only starter listed.

The NEO Golden Norsemen is this Saturday. Track shows Unattached OSU as a team, but no wrestlers listed yet.

Would like to see Wittlake & Montalvo competing again, and also Tony Andrade vs Neil Putnam.

No Pokes at the Norsemen. Don't understand it really. Guys like Wittlake & Montalvo should really be at the Edinboro Open facing solid competition. But at the very least, wrestle an Open in state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT