ADVERTISEMENT

Upcoming Competitions

Gfeller loses to Colton McCrystal of Nebraska 14-4. Pretty much got man-handled.
My view he has been disappointing this whole freestyle season. He was ahead 4 to 0 and loses 14 to 4. He seems to lack focus too often. Piccinini has not looked very good either.

My view he has been disappointing this whole freestyle season. He was ahead 4 to 0 and loses 14 to 4. He seems to lack focus too often. Piccinini has not looked very good either.
Boo loses to KeShawn Hayes 8-4. He pushed the match but got turned twice when he was in on leg shots. Joe wins by tech fall 12-1 over Heller. Chandler ujp against Jacob Hinz shortly.

Gfeller with a tech fall, he wrestled strong except for the first takedown.

Haven't watched any of the matches yet, but I was looking through some of the brackets and noticed Neal Putnam won his first match by tech, then lost to Mike Hughes 5-0. Have to give him credit, he wrestled the senior Open and now U23s, and he's just a rising redshirt freshman.

Reactions: Rdcldad
Pretty funny exchange on twitter with Imar. Guess I better start referring to him as Cornelius.

I realize they aren't cutting hard, but the weights might be a signal. If it does shake out as they went at u23 the it's

Fix 125
Picc 133
Kaid or G'feller 141
Boo 149
Jonce (or a kid I think will transfer in) 57
Chandler 65
Jacobe or Joe 74
Geer or Marsden 84
Weigel 97
White hvy

Picc looks like he'll really need some muscle to contend. Kaid looks strong so far. Surprised how strong joe looks.

Going to be an interesting year.

Joe got cute late in a match he was winning and lost. Very defensive match.

Joe needs to be at 165 IMO. He looks out of shape.

G with a tech.
Pic is teched by 1 seed Vito
Brock is teched by McKee who is a much better FS than he is folk.

A tired and out of shape Smith comes storing back and wins 14-14 against Cohran.

Reactions: Rdcldad
Brock just ourhorsed by the kid from Nebrask. Was in on tons of shots but the Neb kid just countered every one.

Smith wins to get to the consi-finals.

Rogers lost to Myles Martin in a very close match in the first match of the finals. Very good tournament for him.

Rogers got caught and pinned in the second finals match against Martin. Finishing 2nd is a great tournament for him.

Smith lost in the 3rd place match to the same kid he lost to earlier. He isn't in great shape and is too heavy but showed his talent and ability this weekend.

Not bad, not great overall results.

Is this an indication of how much better Fix is than the rest of the roster? Fix blazed his way through this tournament last year.

Is this an indication of how much better Fix is than the rest of the roster? Fix blazed his way through this tournament last year.

Well FS is a whole different animal than folk especially these summer tournaments where guys are all the place weight wise.

Rogers, Smith, G, and Fix are our top FS guys on the roster and Fix is a level above (at least) than those and most other college starters in terms of FS.

Reactions: OAMC99

Rogers, Smith, G, and Fix are our top FS guys on the roster and Fix is a level above (at least) than those and most other college starters in terms of FS.[/QUOTE]

Pic is new to freestyle wrestling. I believe last summer was the first time attempting it. Don't think this is an indication of our roster. For example Rogers is a much better greco wrestler than freestyle, although he is pretty darn good at freestyle. Joe smith simply needs to get in shape, and Gfeller simply needs to focus more when he's wrestling late in matches. Kaid's offensive style is made for freestyle but just needs to work on his defense.

Reactions: OAMC99
their is a lot of optimism on this board and that is great but from previous years and recent free style wrestling i am concerned that we have reached our ceiling as a team.

fix- top 1-3 at 25; 2-6 at 33 (him @33 is better for the team)
picc- will struggle at 133. he is very small and could likely not all american again @33. (125 2-6)

41 brock or gfeller- brock will struggle at this weight because of size. Of course he is slick but stronger longer frame wrestlers give him trouble. gfeller- i am not quite sold on. once a wrestler scouts him he is very predictable. sometimes he looks pretty good and other times he looks like a jv wrestler to me. his recent freestyle results have not been that good (5-8)

49- boo will improve from last year barring injury but he should stay down @ 149 weight. he got pinned by a guy from neo that was super strong.

joe smith although he has been off a while from competition he still looks like the same guy with less movement. he still cant scramble and he gave up his legs really easy this weekend. i hope chandler goes 65 and jacobe mans 74 because the way joe looks i am not sure he would be an upgrade at either weight ( being out of shape is not an excuse) jacobe pinned kimble bastian on 1 leg). joes knee did look to me like it was still ailing him during his matches. joe is a really good wrestler but he is chandler and jacobe are better.

Reactions: osuind
their is a lot of optimism on this board and that is great but from previous years and recent free style wrestling i am concerned that we have reached our ceiling as a team.

picc- will struggle at 133. he is very small and could likely not all american again @33. (125 2-6)

41 brock or gfeller- brock will struggle at this weight because of size. Of course he is slick but stronger longer frame wrestlers give him trouble. gfeller- i am not quite sold on. once a wrestler scouts him he is very predictable. sometimes he looks pretty good and other times he looks like a jv wrestler to me. his recent freestyle results have not been that good (5-8)

49- boo will improve from last year barring injury but he should stay down @ 149 weight. he got pinned by a guy from neo that was super strong.

joe smith although he has been off a while from competition he still looks like the same guy with less movement. he still cant scramble and he gave up his legs really easy this weekend. i hope chandler goes 65 and jacobe mans 74 because the way joe looks i am not sure he would be an upgrade at either weight ( being out of shape is not an excuse) jacobe pinned kimble bastian on 1 leg). joes knee did look to me like it was still ailing him during his matches. joe is a really good wrestler but he is chandler and jacobe are better.

This post reeks of straight trash lol

Reactions: derek_state
Well it's certainly not an optimistic view, but I don't think it's a completely unreasonable take on things either. One thing I will point out though is that Boo was pinned by Evan Cheek, a 141 pounder that Dean beat at nationals 2 months ago. I think that was less about strength and more about getting pancaked again (kind of like what Sorenson did).

I didn't see all the U23 matches, but here were my takeaways...

Gary Calcano might end up as the most important member of our staff this off season. We need multiple guys to get stronger (and jump levels).

Picc got to his single leg, but then was stuffed underneath by an average 133 pounder. He should be at 125, but he's got 5 months to add strength and be ready for the toughest weight class.

Kaid got in on Zacherl several times, but had trouble finishing. I don't think his height will be an issue against longer guys, as he is no shorter than Kindig or Pantaleo. Also has to add strength.

Joe does not look like a 174 pounder to me. Alex and Kyle seem like brick walls at 79 kg (174), Joe doesn't. I think he needs to be at 165, which is also a very deep weight. And I think he needs to make some lifestyle changes if he hopes to achieve his considerable potential.

Agree that Boo needs to stay at 149. Think his challenge will end up being less about strength and more about solving defensive/counter wrestlers like Tsirtsis and Hayes. He needs controlled aggression, if there is such a thing.

To me Kaden is a better folkstyle wrestler than a freestyle wrestler (he's got a great arm bar). I think he needs to diversify his neutral attacks and not be so reliant on his 2 on 1. The other thing is he sort of pauses within a match, like he's taking a break. I'm not sure if that's a conditioning thing or a focusing thing, but I would love to see him pressure forward more.

Well it's certainly not an optimistic view, but I don't think it's a completely unreasonable take on things either. One thing I will point out though is that Boo was pinned by Evan Cheek, a 141 pounder that Dean beat at nationals 2 months ago. I think that was less about strength and more about getting pancaked again (kind of like what Sorenson did).

I didn't see all the U23 matches, but here were my takeaways...

Gary Calcano might end up as the most important member of our staff this off season. We need multiple guys to get stronger (and jump levels).

Picc got to his single leg, but then was stuffed underneath by an average 133 pounder. He should be at 125, but he's got 5 months to add strength and be ready for the toughest weight class.

Kaid got in on Zacherl several times, but had trouble finishing. I don't think his height will be an issue against longer guys, as he is no shorter than Kindig or Pantaleo. Also has to add strength.

Joe does not look like a 174 pounder to me. Alex and Kyle seem like brick walls at 79 kg (174), Joe doesn't. I think he needs to be at 165, which is also a very deep weight. And I think he needs to make some lifestyle changes if he hopes to achieve his considerable potential.

Agree that Boo needs to stay at 149. Think his challenge will end up being less about strength and more about solving defensive/counter wrestlers like Tsirtsis and Hayes. He needs controlled aggression, if there is such a thing.

To me Kaden is a better folkstyle wrestler than a freestyle wrestler (he's got a great arm bar). I think he needs to diversify his neutral attacks and not be so reliant on his 2 on 1. The other thing is he sort of pauses within a match, like he's taking a break. I'm not sure if that's a conditioning thing or a focusing thing, but I would love to see him pressure forward more.
Shouldve a transfer 157 coming in so Boo can stay 149

Obviously I don't have a problem with NorthMarions entry. We haven't won in 11 years, last year was a bad performance all year by us. OMAC said about our performance this weekend " not bad but not great" which describes this performance. I would say our only good performance was by Chandler Rogers. Joe Smith did well against guys I never heard of but losing to Utah Valley is not good. I remember John saying at some point in the year if Joe works at improving we will continue with the redshirt but if not we will take it off. I don't know how important wrestling is to Joe. If he can't make 57 he shouldn't. But coming to a National tournament out of shape makes one wonder. His true freshman year I would never have wondered about his motivation to wrestle. I don't know this but I don't have a lot of confidence in our strength coach, I hope that I am wrong. I don't know if going up these weight classes will work for us. This weekend made me wonder but they still have lots of time to get bigger and stronger. I did like Kerkvliet, the Ferari brothers, Young and Surber for the future. We did not wrestle bad but these performances didn't increase my hope for next year.

Joe hasn't been healthy for an extended period of time which is his problem. His body type and genetics don't do well with inactivity.

If (and it's a concern) he can stay healthy he will be our 165 and Rogers will be bumping up.

I don't think a decision on where Kaid goes has been made and we could still see he and Picc battle for 133. I don't think Boo bumps to 157 unless there is a natural growth spurt. Gun to my head today I think the lineup shakes out like....

125 - Fix
133 - Brock
141 - G
149 - Boo
157 - Balylock
165 - Smith
174 - Rogers/Jacobe
184 - Geer
197 - Preston
285 - White

The ultimate wights of Brock, Boo, Joe and Chandler will be the key.

Last edited:
Joe hasn't been healthy for an extended period of time which is his problem. His body type and genetics don't do well with inactivity.

If (and it's a concern) he can stay healthy he will be our 165 and Rogers will be bumping up.

I don't think a decision on where Kaid goes has been made and we could still see he and Picc battle for 133. I don't think Boo bumps to 157 unless there is a natural growth spurt. Gun to my head today I think the lineup shakes out like....

125 - Kaid
133 - Brock
141 - G
149 - Boo
157 - Balylock
165 - Smith
174 - Rogers/Jacobe
184 - Geer
197 - Preston
285 - White

I'm gonna guess that that one kid destroying all comers at the senior level finds a spot at 125/133.

125 - Kaid
133 - Brock
141 - G
149 - Boo
157 - Balylock
165 - Smith
174 - Rogers/Jacobe
184 - Geer
197 - Preston
285 - White

guessing you meant Fix at 125? If so, then I agree that is a strong possibility, although Fix-Picc-Brock-Boo is just as likely.

Reactions: osu2082

125 - Fix
133 - Brock
141 - G
149 - Boo
157 - Balylock
165 - Smith
174 - Rogers/Jacobe
184 - Geer
197 - Preston
285 - White

Right now this is how I see the lineup also. The moving so many up a weight didn't seem to work this weekend. Most of our guys did not seem strong enough to do real well up a weight.

I think we should have a "guess the starting lineup" contest.
Winner gets to sit with the team during home duals.

I think this lineup will happen as well except for 174/184. My bet is jacobe and chandler will have the weights, not sure which wrestler goes where. Greer will be insurance if weigel is not healthy at beginning of year.

125 - Fix
133 - Brock
141 - G
149 - Boo
157 - Balylock
165 - Smith
174 - Rogers/Jacobe
184 - Geer
197 - Preston
285 - White

Think you guys are right. Kaid stays at 133 and pic is left out. I say that with the understanding pic is one of my favs. G at 141 and boo at 149. I think 174 and 184 will be chandler and jacobe with Jojo at 165. Greer will be insurance for 197 if weigel isn't ready to go at beginning of season. That's my prediction.

Reactions: osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT