ADVERTISEMENT

UNI at OKLA STATE

No way OSU wrestling fans would accept a guy who went to Iowa as our head coach.
It doesn’t matter where a coach is from, what matters is how the team does. We won nationals and did well with a Kansas State coach. Penn state is doing well with a Iowa coach.

Are we the only division one wrestling program that has not figured out what the transfer portal is? It should be easier than ever to plug holes in your lineup each year.

Just imagine if Carter Young would not have came to us at the last second this year.

Are we the only division one wrestling program that has not figured out what the transfer portal is? It should be easier than ever to plug holes in your lineup each year.

Just imagine if Carter Young would not have came to us at the last second this year.
Need to start pumping NIL money into the program. Forget about developing, go get guys that are proven.

[QUOTE="Dugan2035, post:
Need to start pumping NIL money into the program. Forget about developing, go get guys that are proven.
[/QUOTE]
Go get the UNI guy we saw tonight at 184. He is a Beast and should have 3 years left.

Reactions: bwel9339
[QUOTE="Dugan2035, post:
Go get the UNI guy we saw tonight at 184. He is a Beast and should have 3 years left.
[/QUOTE]
That’s who I’d start with.

Reactions: bwel9339 and OAMC99
[QUOTE="Dugan2035, post:
[/QUOTE]
I thought that was are excuse for not winning national titles since Nebraska and Missouri left . Big 10 has a tougher conference.

I totally agree with this. We need to forget about money for a wrestling facility or RTC. NIL is the name of the game until something changes. We need to do what the big-time college football programs are doing and poach the best wrestlers from lesser programs (everyone except Iowa/PSU). Find five big-time donors who are willing to spend 10K annually to support a top 4 transfer.

Look at the difference Ferrari. He’s honestly the only guy we put on the mat that has a physical advantage. Maybe you bring in AJ’s dad? Something has to shift.

Last edited:
Very little to be happy about tonight but just a week or two ago several on this board were saying we could win this year. We got a dose of reality tonight. Some of the new posters are calling for a new coach. That is crazy. We have the coach. We have looked flat long before AJ was out of the lineup so that can be no excuse. John was actually pushing Gfeller to the locker room to talk to him. He went through the match just hand fighting with his opponent. Even Daton looked flat. It is disappointing when the best effort of the night was by a backup 184 pounder wrestling up at 197. We did not deserve to win tonight and unless there is an instant turnaround tomorrow will be an embarassment.
I brought a friend tonight to her very first wrestling match. I spent the evening explaining to her that we used to be a better wrestling team. Her only comment was "that other team had a bunch of bullies". I started following wrestling in 1960 and that was the worst performance I have seen by an Oklahoma State wrestling team. There is just no way we should have lost to that team. Doug Schwab is a good coach but we greatly contributed to UNI's performance. I commented on what a great match Iowa/Penn State put on yesterday. I am hard pressed to believe we could win a match much less a dual against either team. I am totally disgusted BUT I will be there tomorrow cheering on a Cowboy team that needs a total change of heart. We have the ability but I am not sure we have the desire.

I am not ready to say we need a new coach, but we definitely need something. New strength and conditioning coach has been on my list for several years. I constantly hear that many of our guys struggle to make weight, but we seldom seem to have a size or strength advantage. I would like to see some new blood in the assistant coaches ranks. I think we rely too much on former OSU wrestlers. Bring in some proven assistants from other programs. I would love to see a David Taylor or similar bring in some fresh ideas to help us improve. Right now it just seems that we are doing more of what we have always done and it isn’t working any more.

Very little to be happy about tonight but just a week or two ago several on this board were saying we could win this year. We got a dose of reality tonight. Some of the new posters are calling for a new coach. That is crazy. We have the coach. We have looked flat long before AJ was out of the lineup so that can be no excuse. John was actually pushing Gfeller to the locker room to talk to him. He went through the match just hand fighting with his opponent. Even Daton looked flat. It is disappointing when the best effort of the night was by a backup 184 pounder wrestling up at 197. We did not deserve to win tonight and unless there is an instant turnaround tomorrow will be an embarassment.
I brought a friend tonight to her very first wrestling match. I spent the evening explaining to her that we used to be a better wrestling team. Her only comment was "that other team had a bunch of bullies". I started following wrestling in 1960 and that was the worst performance I have seen by an Oklahoma State wrestling team. There is just no way we should have lost to that team. Doug Schwab is a good coach but we greatly contributed to UNI's performance. I commented on what a great match Iowa/Penn State put on yesterday. I am hard pressed to believe we could win a match much less a dual against either team. I am totally disgusted BUT I will be there tomorrow cheering on a Cowboy team that needs a total change of heart. We have the ability but I am not sure we have the desire.
You think we’d be shutout by Iowa and Penn State? Might be a little much.

We have no shot at winning this year. Next year will be hard also. We just don’t bonus wrestle like Psu to keep up with them. We also don’t develop like PSU. Our title drought isn’t a accident . Changes need to come if we ever want to sniff a title again

Some Stats tonight make it even worse. We had a total of 11 Takedowns and UNI had 10 yet they won 2 weights where they had zero takedowns and those two weights neither wrestler scored a takedown.165 and 285 there were no takedowns in the match. At 157,165, 184 285 We had no takedowns. Fix had 1 takedown in his match. Gfeller had one takedown, Plott had one takedown. Mastro had 3 and Carter Young had 4, Stika had 1. On rankings we should have won every match but 184.It is impossible to win when you get no takedowns and can not escape from bottom. Parker Keckheisen had half of the UNI takedowns. PLEASE someone tell me that all of our wrestlers were hit with covid or the flu at the same time because that is the only reasonable explanation for the disaster tonight.

Some Stats tonight make it even worse. We had a total of 11 Takedowns and UNI had 10 yet they won 2 weights where they had zero takedowns and those two weights neither wrestler scored a takedown.165 and 285 there were no takedowns in the match. At 157,165, 184 285 We had no takedowns. Fix had 1 takedown in his match. Gfeller had one takedown, Plott had one takedown. Mastro had 3 and Carter Young had 4, Stika had 1. On rankings we should have won every match but 184.It is impossible to win when you get no takedowns and can not escape from bottom. Parker Keckheisen had half of the UNI takedowns. PLEASE someone tell me that all of our wrestlers were hit with covid or the flu at the same time because that is the only reasonable explanation for the disaster tonight.
Oberebo, I don't know how to explain this poor performance which involved almost every individual who wrestled. John said he was a little disappointed, probably trying to be tactful. AJ's accident has to be involved but that would mean the staff did not help the wrestlers work thru this. Coach stated we need this dual Sunday to turn things around. I agree. However our performances for the last 3 weeks has been disappointing but the bottom fell out tonight.

As an observer over the years, the Pokes tend to lay some in season eggs but come to wrestle at NCAAs most of the time.

Btw, have two ball park tickets for $100 ea Sec 4, row 2... right along the third base line. Bad timing on my part. Not trying to make $$ but I guess the service charge on these tickets are a b*tch.

Reactions: BrettOSU17
As an observer over the years, the Pokes tend to lay some in season eggs but come to wrestle at NCAAs most of the time.

Btw, have two ball park tickets for $100 ea Sec 4, row 2... right along the third base line. Bad timing on my part. Not trying to make $$ but I guess the service charge on these tickets are a b*tch.
Wow not sure the sport of wrestling will grow if they are charging $100 for tickets.This should be in GIA

Reactions: TheJimReaper
This looked like John worked them out this morning. We did this in 2020 with Northern Iowa and came back and beat ISU the next day or the day after on the road. Keckeisen is a beast and should be in the finals by his senior year.

Reactions: skylinepoke
I am not ready to say we need a new coach, but we definitely need something. New strength and conditioning coach has been on my list for several years. I constantly hear that many of our guys struggle to make weight, but we seldom seem to have a size or strength advantage. I would like to see some new blood in the assistant coaches ranks. I think we rely too much on former OSU wrestlers. Bring in some proven assistants from other programs. I would love to see a David Taylor or similar bring in some fresh ideas to help us improve. Right now it just seems that we are doing more of what we have always done and it isn’t working any more.
Good point.Just like the ankle trap PSU uses to ride.I like our assistants but they are just going to likely use techniques that John taught them when they were wrestlers.

I want to see a change in strength and conditioning. Every matchup the uni guys looked bigger and more developed. It’s telling when we can’t even peel hands.
This needs more love. When you look at the “levels” PSU is jumping that is frequently talked about on here a BIG piece of that is their bodies.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Every Iowa wrestler fought back. Even the one who wrestled Fix. if someone is so much better than you and ties you in a knot, you can still roll your eyes.

Also weird but you could see something was wrong just by looking at John’s face the whole match.

He must be a terrible poker player.

Here is a thought:

15,000 Fans at Penn State vs. Iowa

Last night, one of the many annoying things… you could clearly hear the tiny section of N. Iowa Fans cheering for their guys.

In GIA.

Would you ever hear N. Iowa Fans cheering in Carver-Hawkeye?

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Jesus, one bad dual and most of you are ready to throw in the towel. I bet the team is not ready to throw in the towel at all. You will see this afternoon. It is college wrestling and there are a lot of matches to be wrestled during the season and losses will be taken over the season. Hopefully the guys that had a tough night use the losses as motivation for the rest of the season.

It’s much more than just one match. High school seniors were 2 years old last time we won a national championship. Many of the criticisms on this thread are valid. A new approach (not coach) is needed.

OSU definitely looked flat and tired. UNI doesnt look to be a super offensive team in most weights. They look like they were strong, in great shape and super disciplined in their positions.. they look like they scouted us well.. The UNI 165 would have beat anyone we put out there the same way, he was strong, in shape, good on top.. what happened at 174? I had to step away when Plott was winning and came back and it was over.. the 184 has only lost to the champ and will give Amine trouble in the NCAA semi's.. i was happy that the 184 back up gave us a shot, hopefully we come out more focused with guns blazing today.

It’s much more than just one match. High school seniors were 2 years old last time we won a national championship. Many of the criticisms on this thread are valid. A new approach (not coach) is needed.
I wonder, no disrespect, if John wants to win it his way, the way its been won before? There is a free agency market and we need to start using the NIL stuff to our advantage and get some hammers in before another team does.

I wonder, no disrespect, if John wants to win it his way, the way its been won before? There is a free agency market and we need to start using the NIL stuff to our advantage and get some hammers in before another team does.
John has been reluctant to embrace the RTC model being used by the wrestling powers across the country. I can’t imagine he’s going to hop onboard the NIL train. We haven’t changed with the times and it has shown. The rise of the Big10 has also hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT