ADVERTISEMENT

tom_v31

2nd Team
Jan 24, 2020
Bartlesville
(This is just an opinion rant) The problem this year is our expectations. We expect to be contenders every year, and why shouldn’t we, we are only the most storied program in wrestling. Unfortunately, due to injuries, olympics, under recruiting and general wear and tare, our team is not in its normal position, but we find ourselves in the unusual realm of.... REBUILDING. A four letter word in Stillwater.

Because of expectations, we don’t see things as they actually are, like:
- Joseph Smith -a truly gifted athlete with championship potential and even more championship pedigree. He is our lightning rod and why not, coach’s son, (alleged) nepotism and of course,“if he could just get his butt in gear, we would have another champ.” Unfortunately, he most likely suffers from burnout (in my opinion) due to years of weight cutting, injuries and wrestling too hard too soon. What was it coach Robb Koll said, “what do you call a 7th grade national champ? A good former wrestler.” To his credit, he still tries to put his hat back in the ring and help out to the best of what he has in the gas tank (in my opinion)
- G - another gifted athlete who had a ton of upside, but either due to burnout, injuries, or some other personal reason, is not able to wrestle up to expectations. Hope he finds another reservoir ‍♂️.
- Kaid Brock - Uber talented, injury plagued, will he ever make it back to the mat? Super frustrating
- Pich - a potential title contender, is unexpectedly left in the role of team leader and is now struggling (just a bit) to juggle his roles of team leader and focus on title contender. It was easier with his buddy Fix in the lineup. It’s obviously affected him more than he thought. (Again, just my opinion, so please don’t argue these points)
- Geer - a title contender a year ago, going up a weight to help the team, has affected him more than probably anyone thought possible. To his credit, he’s still trying to do what is best for the team.
- Our heavy weight constituency- last year we were a finalist, this year, we probably won’t qualify for NCAAs. Fortunately, I think as fans, we have accepted this reality
- Constant injuries either due to the grind, flagging attitudes, happenstance; always focuses our ire.
- Lots of new faces and unexpected starters - these should only be taken as a positive not a point of frustration. Many were never expected to start this early or were never expected to start at all, much less title contenders. I have seen some extremely positive results and future from this lot.
I have the luxury of not having the lofty expectations of this years cowboys. I’m a Kentucky transplant, but by now, I bleed orange. This team has some similarities to the ‘91-‘92 UK basketball team. It was full of similar players as this years cowboy wrestlers. That team was equally beat down by recruiting violations and its spoiled fans. But, in Kentucky, it’s worse, much worse. That team had a lot of in state, no name, blue collar athletes never to sniff the NBA and 1 blue chip freshman athlete, Jamal Mashburn. The talent fled from the team like rats on a burning boat. Attitudes in blue nation were blue indeed. One thing this team had was they were fighters, scrappers and in your face. They finished in the elite 8 and dubbed, affectionately, the ‘unforgetables.’ Though they did not have a title that year, almost every team since has been compared to them. Judged against effort, fearlessness and no holds bar courage. When I see fans worry so much about wins and losses, I usually ask, “yeah, but how hard did they try?” I think this team has that in them. We need to judge this team against itself, against effort, against grit. If they don’t stand up to those marks, then there is a problem. But, if they walk into Carver stadium and do an ‘O’fer yet they battle their guts out and fight every point, how can you not be proud. Just maybe instead of seeing things as a fail, we look for the little wins, those are the things that spring board teams to do better, possibly even achieve greatness. Ask the ‘92 cats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT