ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA 125

chasepollard

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2005
I completed the bracket last night and this morning using wrestlestat and google (injuries and/or troubles) and it could stack up pretty well for ole Spratley.

If he get by Gallagher, which was a tough wrestlestat comparison and Flynn, which was a more favorable comparison. Spratley is 0-2 against common opponents and Gallagher is 1-1 whereas Flynn is 10-6 against common opponents and Spratley is 9-2. So, I have Spratley seeing Ayala in the quarters. I didn't make a prediction on who makes the semis. I think he gets Ayala this time, but this weight is so close in talent all through the bracket and I am thinking with my Orange tint possibly.

If Spratley gets by Ayala, he actually compares well against Stanich. Spratley has a head to head win over him and he is 3-0 versus 1-2 against common opponents. I went ahead with the seed on this one, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Spratley makes the finals, or Ayala for that matter.

So this is what I came up with.

Finals is Noto vs. Stanich...but I am not confident on the quarters or semis in the bottom half of the bracket. Lots of coin toss type matchups.

3rd - Davis PSU

4th - Ayala or Spratley

5th - Ayala or Spratley

6th - Ramos

7th - McKee

8th - Volk

In my humble opinion (I never wrestled in college,) But Noto and DeAugustino are true bracket busters with a dangerous tally of head to head wins versus the field. Either way, if Spratley can stay out of danger and Wrestle smart, he could find himself anywhere from finalist to 5th. If he isn't in that category, he likely doesn't place at all.

I just can't picture Troy beating Ayala based on their last meeting. Troy was never close to finishing against Ayala.

Reactions: Cowboy Tommy
I just can't picture Troy beating Ayala based on their last meeting. Troy was never close to finishing against Ayala.
I can't tell you how many times in the last 15-20 years that I've filled out 10 brackets and hit correctly on the guys that make AA.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but I think I've done it once, out of 150 -200 tries at it haha.

So yeah, you might be right, but it is March Matness.

Reactions: PoOsKuE and gyppoke
And how many good shots was Troy in on only to lose his grip?
Troy has jumped up the chart of my favorite wrestler but he still under experienced and needing more muscle to compete with the elite at 125.
Man, I disagree with the statement of competing with the Elite 25 pounders. Pouring through Wrestlestat, it is a razor thin margin in most of the Top20.

There is no dominant force really and there is a pile of skill at that weight. I haven't jumped into the others hard yet, but 125 is a weight that truly a shot for most guys in the bracket. It is for sure, a tough class.

I am pretty sure I have 1-6 with a 9 and 12 making AA. I wouldn't be surpised if there are more guys not seeded top 8 that make AA.

Man, I disagree with the statement of competing with the Elite 25 pounders. Pouring through Wrestlestat, it is a razor thin margin in most of the Top20.

There is no dominant force really and there is a pile of skill at that weight. I haven't jumped into the others hard yet, but 125 is a weight that truly a shot for most guys in the bracket. It is for sure, a tough class.

I am pretty sure I have 1-6 with a 9 and 12 making AA. I wouldn't be surpised if there aremore guys not seeded top 8 that make AA.
I believe Troy will AA. All that I'm saying is that I don't believe he can get by Ayala. If he doesn't, I expect Troy to wrestle like a mad man and come through the back side.

Reactions: bwel9339
I believe Troy will AA. All that I'm saying is that I don't believe he can get by Ayala. If he doesn't, I expect Troy to wrestle like a mad man and come through the back side.
If he doesn’t beat Ayala, his road to AA is tougher.

Reactions: bwel9339
If DeAugustino wins his first round against Caleb Smith which I believe he will then he would have Stanich in the round of 16. If he loses then he would be on the top of the consi bracket. If he beats Stanich and then loses in the quarters then they would likely meet in the consi semi's #1. Only way he would meet DeAugistino before the medal rounds is if DeAugustino loses his first round match against Smith.

If Spratley makes it to the quarters and loses to Ayala then he would likely face the loser of Mckee vs. Figueroa in the blood round. I have Mckee winning that match and he has a win over Figueroa this year.

If DeAugustino wins his first round against Caleb Smith which I believe he will then he would have Stanich in the round of 16. If he loses then he would be on the top of the consi bracket. If he beats Stanich and then loses in the quarters then they would likely meet in the consi semi's #1. Only way he would meet DeAugistino before the medal rounds is if DeAugustino loses his first round match against Smith.

If Spratley makes it to the quarters and loses to Ayala then he would likely face the loser of Mckee vs. Figueroa in the blood round. I have Mckee winning that match and he has a win over Figueroa this year.
I have Smith beating DeAugistino, but that was solely based off a weird year for him and a Wrestlestat comparison.

I have the score written down from the comparison at 7-4 Smith...so I went with that.

Either way for Spratley, its a tough rode to AA just because of the talent in the bracket. Obviously beating Ayala gets him on the podium, but the backside seems so treacherous. It seems like there's a dozen former AA's in the field?

Reactions: skylinepoke
The lighter weights (125 & 133) always seem to have returning guys that finish lower than earlier years. When a quality freshman (like Spratley) come in they seem to finish higher their freshman year. Upper weights experience is the difference. You will have your freaks like Daton and McDunough that are there every year. That is why I am still high on Thompson as larger guys get better with age and experience.

The lighter weights (125 & 133) always seem to have returning guys that finish lower than earlier years. When a quality freshman (like Spratley) come in they seem to finish higher their freshman year. Upper weights experience is the difference. You will have your freaks like Daton and McDunough that are there every year. That is why I am still high on Thompson as larger guys get better with age and experience.
Yeah, those lower weight brackets are tough to project.

If Troy and Cooper win in the first round, that second round match is going to be a good one. Cooper has only lost to Camacho x2, Stanich, and Barnett this year. Whoever loses, has their hands full to get to the podium. To be honest, every wrestler has their hands full trying to get to the podium this year at this weight. I could see half or more on the podium being double digit seeds.

I feel really good about Troy placing in this tournament. I haven’t been this high on a freshmen entering nationals since Daton. Not saying he is on that level but what he has showed attitude and energy wise and his development is something we haven’t got in a while.

The weight is a crazy dog fight top to bottom. I think Ramos makes the finals on the top side. For Troy it all comes down to that quarter finals match w/ Ayala. Best thing about it is that its a morning match. Troy makes weight pretty easy, so the second day in the morning may be to his advantage.

Reactions: tom_v31
The weight is a crazy dog fight top to bottom. I think Ramos makes the finals on the top side. For Troy it all comes down to that quarter finals match w/ Ayala. Best thing about it is that its a morning match. Troy makes weight pretty easy, so the second day in the morning may be to his advantage.
Yes, it is really a brutal weight!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT