ADVERTISEMENT

The ol' bonus point issue

Poel_Jeer

Redshirt
Nov 9, 2015
So I had about an hour at work with nothing doing, and I was reading up on how a lot of people think that PSU is going to run away with the NC because most of their team are bonus point machines. Well, yes they are, most of them do score bonus points, and a few of them all the freakin' time. So I thought I would analyze these BP wins just to get a feel. Thanks to the amazing efforts of Andegre, and the rankings on intermat (I tried to average the rankings with FLO, but my computer is being stupid), I came up with some stats.....

terms used
Name=Name
avg=average rank of D1 opponents beaten with bonus points(wrestlestat)
ranked=number of ranked opponents beaten with bonus point(intermat)

Name/avg/ranked
Nico Megaludis/105.5/0
Jordan Conaway/99.1/1
Jimmy Gulibon/102.6/0
Zain Retherford/62.2/7
Jason Nolf/81.75/5
Shakur Rasheed/101.1/2
Bo Nickal/6936/2
Matt McCutcheon/92.1/1
Morgan McIntosh/62.1/2
Jan Johnson/0/0

So really, the bonus point potential really only lies with Retherford and Nolf. With Rasheed, Nickal and McIntosh coming in with maybe 1 or 2 bonus points @ Nationals.

So yes, they have the potential to score some BP, but I don't think it's as crazy as people are letting on, many other schools have good BP wrestlers.
And just to suffice the argument that I am picking on PSU, I also looked at OSU, Iowa and Ohio State, and while not as many as PSU, you still have to win the match to get points. And we all know crazy happens in March.

Reactions: derek_state
So I had about an hour at work with nothing doing, and I was reading up on how a lot of people think that PSU is going to run away with the NC because most of their team are bonus point machines. Well, yes they are, most of them do score bonus points, and a few of them all the freakin' time. So I thought I would analyze these BP wins just to get a feel. Thanks to the amazing efforts of Andegre, and the rankings on intermat (I tried to average the rankings with FLO, but my computer is being stupid), I came up with some stats.....

terms used
Name=Name
avg=average rank of D1 opponents beaten with bonus points(wrestlestat)
ranked=number of ranked opponents beaten with bonus point(intermat)

Name/avg/ranked
Nico Megaludis/105.5/0
Jordan Conaway/99.1/1
Jimmy Gulibon/102.6/0
Zain Retherford/62.2/7
Jason Nolf/81.75/5
Shakur Rasheed/101.1/2
Bo Nickal/6936/2
Matt McCutcheon/92.1/1
Morgan McIntosh/62.1/2
Jan Johnson/0/0

So really, the bonus point potential really only lies with Retherford and Nolf. With Rasheed, Nickal and McIntosh coming in with maybe 1 or 2 bonus points @ Nationals.

So yes, they have the potential to score some BP, but I don't think it's as crazy as people are letting on, many other schools have good BP wrestlers.
And just to suffice the argument that I am picking on PSU, I also looked at OSU, Iowa and Ohio State, and while not as many as PSU, you still have to win the match to get points. And we all know crazy happens in March.
Not sure if you noticed, but I now have a "Tournament Rankings" page on the site. This takes the top 32 STARTERS (excludes all redshirts and teams that have 2 or more guys ranked in top 32) and only uses matches versus other top 32 wrestlers to determine the possible bonus points in the NCAA tournament. This gets rid of most of the guys that bonus lower-tier opponents and focuses on the actual wrestlers (and how often they bonus) that they would face in the NCAA tournament.

Right now, I don't show what the wrestlers projected bonus points would be in the NCAA tournament, but I'm pondering showing that also...

http://www.wrestlestats.com/rankings/tournament

Reactions: Gooseeman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT