ADVERTISEMENT

The Coleman factor

He got hurt toward the end of last year
Can’t remember exactly when.

Unfortunately, don’t know if I’ll ever forget “Whittlake’s” injury…the sounds during & immediately after were awful.

While i hesitate to ask...

what happened?

While i hesitate to ask...

what happened?
He injured his knee in the dual against Bucknell. I don’t remember the exact injury; it sounded bad when it happened and then the place was dead silent and that sounded bad as well bc he was in a lot of pain.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: vhsalum
I don’t get it. People having an issue with Okie State is kind of like an egg. You have to wonder if it’s really worth the wear and tear on a chickens ass?
The point here is that "Okie" is a derogatory term to some (many, most...) of the Oklahoma's who post hear. If I'm talking to someone from out of state and they were to say something like, "You Okies don't know how to drive in the snow" I'm going to be insulted but if they were to replace "Okies" with "Oklahomen's" I might argue the point but I won't be insulted. If someone wants to be called some form of Okie and they're from Oklahoma, I'm okay with it. That's their choice. Hell, there are a lot of unusual and seemingly derogatory names on this site.

I'm not sure in what spirit you've posted this video but this is a tremendous monologue, from a tremendous movie, from a tremendous book which illustrates the prejudice and malice inherent in the term "Okie". Every Oklahoman should watch this movie and read the book.

By the way, I love what Coleman Scott has brought to the team.
Tom Joad is the embodiment of an Okie.

What he describes are the attributes of an Okie.

As opposed to being offended, I wear it with pride.

It’s not to dissimilar from the story of the Br’er Rabbit.

And I wholeheartedly agree: should be required reading. 😊

Steinbeck is a giant.

Tom Joad is the embodiment of an Okie.

What he describes are the attributes of an Okie.

As opposed to being offended, I wear it with pride.

It’s not to dissimilar from the story of the Br’er Rabbit.

And I wholeheartedly agree: should be required reading. 😊

Steinbeck is a giant.
To your statement(s): it's been years since I've watch/read GoW so I'm going from memory (read at least 3 times/watched over 10 times) but I can reference this clip you've referenced; In the clip Tom never uses the word Okie, Although I could be wrong, I have no memory of the family or the people the met embracing that term "Okie" either in the movie or book.

I invite you to read the following text: The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture: Okie

Notice the "Anti-Okie Laws" passed by California, I loved Will Rogers line that "Okie" migrants to California raised the intellectual level of both states. Classic Rogers

Agreed; Steinbeck is a giant. Further of topic; GoW is great but East of Eden is better IMO.

OSU_Noun.PNG

Oak State sounds weird coming out of my mouth. I don't mind Okie State either - Grapes of Wrath and the Anti-Okie laws are 80 some years old and not at all relatable for me. Sometimes OKST shows up in online discussions, but I'm also game to just say OSU and make people figure out which OSU I'm talking about.

Oak State sounds weird coming out of my mouth. I don't mind Okie State either - Grapes of Wrath and the Anti-Okie laws are 80 some years old and not at all relatable for me. Sometimes OKST shows up in online discussions, but I'm also game to just say OSU and make people figure out which OSU I'm talking about.
My feelings aren’t hurt either way, but I think of it as more of a jab at big ten and Ohio state if I don’t specify. For me, it will always be OSU and the others can quibble on how to specify.

"Anti-Okie" being current or not does not mean they are not a valid reference to the negative connotation of the word and I have heard non Oklahoma's use it disparagingly within the last two years. I'm saddened when I see/hear anyone, especially those I believe are Oklahoman's, using it as if it is not a slight and I'm more than disappointed by the the term "tOSU". BTW: I loved the flow chart.

Go Pokes

"Anti-Okie" being current or not does not mean they are not a valid reference to the negative connotation of the word and I have heard non Oklahoma's use it disparagingly within the last two years. I'm saddened when I see/hear anyone, especially those I believe are Oklahoman's, using it as if it is not a slight and I'm more than disappointed by the the term "tOSU". BTW: I loved the flow chart.

Go Pokes
No, for sure. It has always been a derogatory term and I don’t like people thinking we are all hicks

Reactions: bwel9339
When I moved to Ohio 10 years ago it took me quite a while to come to grips with the reality that other states refer to teams by letters also. These Yankees will get upset if you don’t put a “the” in front of their school. And when they start talking about OU they mean the bobcats. If people are referencing the Pokes I don’t care what they call them, I’m just glad to have people text me during games and duals because they know I follow them, and they now have a mini following in central Ohio.

Reactions: tom_v31
casual fan here. This team is much more fun to watch this year. More offense. Aggression. Urgency.

Brayden Thompson seems like the prototypical OSU wrestler of the past few years. A lot of defense with little offense and no urgency. So far not real fun to watch…but he does have some solid D.

I don’t know much about inner workings, but something feels drastically different. As a casual, to me it has to be Coleman… either way, this team has pulled me back in to wanting to watch them regulary

casual fan here. This team is much more fun to watch this year. More offense. Aggression. Urgency.

Brayden Thompson seems like the prototypical OSU wrestler of the past few years. A lot of defense with little offense and no urgency. So far not real fun to watch…but he does have some solid D.

I don’t know much about inner workings, but something feels drastically different. As a casual, to me it has to be Coleman… either way, this team has pulled me back in to wanting to watch them regulary

spot on

Six new starters, let’s give credit or credit is due the kids

Sure but who has helped develop them, set the tone, mindset and character of the team for the season?

Adding Coleman to the staff has been huge and the impact can be seen to even the casual observer. Future is bright for OSU wrestling.
Tyler, Gary, Chris Coleman adding Coleman was no doubt a good hire but to say all this is happening because of him is ridiculous. We have six new athletes competing let’s give credit to the horse and not so much the jockey.

We have even seen glimpses of Jordan Williams getting more aggressive. Jordan should always be looking for the cradle as he has the grip and the leverage to make it work. It seems like moving to the next position faster generally works unless it is a very bad idea. I find that with most things in life. You do not have to exactly correct on the decision, but be decisive.

The pressure to win I believe was
mounting over the years, our wrestlers looked to me, to be wrestling not to lose, to not blow a match.

This teams looks to me like they are having fun, they are wrestling without the fear of failure.

I have no idea what Coleman has been selling, and it can’t be all just a great mental outlook.

It is sure fun to watch this team because they are not afraid to take their shots and they are looking to score.

We have even seen glimpses of Jordan Williams getting more aggressive. Jordan should always be looking for the cradle as he has the grip and the leverage to make it work. It seems like moving to the next position faster generally works unless it is a very bad idea. I find that with most things in life. You do not have to exactly correct on the decision, but be decisive.
We had kid built very similar to him on my team in HS. For his size, he had longer arms and good grip strength. He was an ok wrestler but he cradled the crap out of everyone

Reactions: OSUMatFan
From yesterday's coaches show... Coach Smith, "Coleman's really implemented a lot more rest than I ever did. Right? And I think its been a good thing and giving 2 days in 7 days where these guys are resting, and I think it made a big difference in helping us perform at a little bit higher rate."

Love to hear this.

From yesterday's coaches show... Coach Smith, "Coleman's really implemented a lot more rest than I ever did. Right? And I think its been a good thing and giving 2 days in 7 days where these guys are resting, and I think it made a big difference in helping us perform at a little bit higher rate."

Love to hear this.
I love wrestling, but I hated the season grind. I was always sick come state

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT