ADVERTISEMENT

The Coleman factor

Here’s the thing though: one a day or two a days? Adding in things like stadiums on top of two a days? Intensity, energy in the room. Toxicity and negativity in the room. How much weight are guys pulling? So many things to consider. To compare practice “styles” is not enough.
Ok, but doesn't it seem like Iowa's overall approach is more taxing? Ramos talks about kill your body 24/7, beating yourself up, wrestle hard, condition hard, etc. Sounds like a JRob camp.

In terms of the "vibe" in the room, I have no insight. Hopefully it's not bad.

I'm not saying OSU doesn't need to make some changes and dial it back. There was a Quentin Wright interview posted on here. He talked about PSU cutting practice time -- 2 hours at the beginning of the season, 90 minutes mid season, and 1 hour by the end of January. And we know they peak better than everyone.

Can you please stop saying okie st.
I asked Chris Perry, Tyler Caldwell, Dean, heil, Alex Derringer Jordan, Oliver, AJ Ferrari, Dustin Plott, Dayton Fix They said, no way we overtrained it’s always the athletes that don’t succeed. Looking to blame somebody or something.

Ok, but doesn't it seem like Iowa's overall approach is more taxing? Ramos talks about kill your body 24/7, beating yourself up, wrestle hard, condition hard, etc. Sounds like a JRob camp.

I'm not saying OSU doesn't need to make some changes and dial it back. There was a Quentin Wright interview posted on here. He talked about PSU cutting practice time -- 2 hours at the beginning of the season, 90 minutes mid season, and 1 hour by the end of January. And we know they peak better than everyone.
John Smith practice never goes past two hours always 90 minutes or less

Reactions: Wrassler17

The last couple of years can be easily described as underwhelming and or underperforming. NO ONE can deny that. Several reasons for that and there are differing opinions and I dont see anyone changing their mind from arguing on a forum. I'll just say that Ive talked to wrestlers face to face. Starters. This is years starters. And from some of those conversations I've developed my own opinions and they're just not going to line up w/ some of the other posters thoughts or explanations.

Because at the end of the day I love OSU wrestling and I'm super proud of this team (that doesnt mean I havent and wont criticize here and there) I wont go into to much detail about some of the things I was told. The important thing is that some of the major issues from the last two seasons through the specific communication of athletes to the coaches and the arrival of Coleman things were already MUCH better by this summer (Coleman was there earlier than many realize).

Some may feel the need to take another shot my views after they read this because they just cant help themselves lol. It doesnt matter, we will all have our own opinions and a forum wont change anything because at the end of the day we're all passionate about this program or we wouldnt be here.

This thread is about what Coleman has brought to the program. It is no slight to John Smith or the rest of the coaching staff to say he has had a profound positive affect on OSU wrestling. Anyone who thinks it is imo has a chip on their shoulder for no good reason.

Not sure after the last two years that anyone thought back in November that we would be 13-0 in duals and ranked anywhere close to where we are right now. That is to be celebrated, regardless of disagreeing on factors that got the team where they are now.

The future is bright. Go POKES!

There is no question something has changed this year from years past. This team is different than ones we've had for a while. Weather that is Coleman coming in or something different one thing is certain and that is there were changes made for the better. Bringing in transfers has helped a lot with three starters in the lineup, but more importantly I think its the confidence and attitude these guys have that is something we haven't seen a in while.

Fair enough

I'm not close to the program like you, Blair and some others, so I don't know about any internal issues. I agree the team massively underperformed the last 2 years and looks remarkably better this season. Way ahead of what I was expecting.

On the face of it Coleman seems to be a big part of the turnaround. I've caught a handful of his interviews this year, including 2x on the coach's show, and he always sounds impressive.

The last couple of years can be easily described as underwhelming and or underperforming. NO ONE can deny that. Several reasons for that and there are differing opinions and I dont see anyone changing their mind from arguing on a forum. I'll just say that Ive talked to wrestlers face to face. Starters. This is years starters. And from some of those conversations I've developed my own opinions and they're just not going to line up w/ some of the other posters thoughts or explanations.

Because at the end of the day I love OSU wrestling and I'm super proud of this team (that doesnt mean I havent and wont criticize here and there) I wont go into to much detail about some of the things I was told. The important thing is that some of the major issues from the last two seasons through the specific communication of athletes to the coaches and the arrival of Coleman things were already MUCH better by this summer (Coleman was there earlier than many realize).

Some may feel the need to take another shot my views after they read this because they just cant help themselves lol. It doesnt matter, we will all have our own opinions and a forum wont change anything because at the end of the day we're all passionate about this program or we wouldnt be here.

This thread is about what Coleman has brought to the program. It is no slight to John Smith or the rest of the coaching staff to say he has had a profound positive affect on OSU wrestling. Anyone who thinks it is imo has a chip on their shoulder for no good reason.

Not sure after the last two years that anyone thought back in November that we would be 13-0 in duals and ranked anywhere close to where we are right now. That is to be celebrated, regardless of disagreeing on factors that got the team where they are now.

The week over week improvement has been amazing to watch. From a terrible (as a whole) Cliff keen to a complete dismantling of Mizzou - amazing.

The iowa match is going to be lights out.

There is no question something has changed this year from years past. This team is different than ones we've had for a while. Weather that is Coleman coming in or something different one thing is certain and that is there were changes made for the better. Bringing in transfers has helped a lot with three starters in the lineup, but more importantly I think its the confidence and attitude these guys have that is something we haven't seen a in while.
In the past people on this forum would get mad at me because I indicated we did not take advantage of opportunities for upset wins and this was a big problem. The only upsets that occurred was our guys ranked getting upset. Just losing to a real good wrestler can be motivating but not near as motivating as winning and upsetting a real good wrestler. For whatever reason, better wrestlers, better coaching, more support help we are getting the upsets and I believe our wrestlers are getting more motivated and more confident. I hope this continues and I believe it also helps recruiting. I think Coleman has been good for the staff and wrestlers.

100% agree. People have to remember that this is an opinion forum and it won’t make any difference on the mat. No one is casting any shade on anyone but we are just happy to see the cowboys su
I will say they’re definitely needed to be a change made in that position. You can see Coleman Perry, Caldwell and Harding definitely gel better I know there’s not near as much conflict questioning each other. The training has changed a little, but not drastically. I’ve said, we have six or seven different starters at times than last year their attitude, their competitiveness and their will to win, and the way they live their lifestyle is drastically different than what we’ve had in the lineup the previous 2 to 3 years . But let’s not forget four of those young men are freshman ones ranked sixth ones ranked seventh the other two are 18 or thereabouts. There was only a freshman that placed in the NCAA championships last year.

Fair enough

I'm not close to the program like you, Blair and some others, so I don't know about any internal issues. I agree the team massively underperformed the last 2 years and looks remarkably better this season. Way ahead of what I was expecting.

On the face of it Coleman seems to be a big part of the turnaround. I've caught a handful of his interviews this year, including 2x on the coach's show, and he always sounds impressive.
The hay isn't in the barn yet.

But, this season has been a significant upgrade in entertainment/performance as well as an answer to our questions from last March.

I will say they’re definitely needed to be a change made in that position. You can see Coleman Perry, Caldwell and Harding definitely gel better I know there’s not near as much conflict questioning each other. The training has changed a little, but not drastically. I’ve said, we have six or seven different starters at times than last year their attitude, their competitiveness and their will to win, and the way they live their lifestyle is drastically different than what we’ve had in the lineup the previous 2 to 3 years . But let’s not forget four of those young men are freshman ones ranked sixth ones ranked seventh the other two are 18 or thereabouts. There was only a freshman that placed in the NCAA championships last year.
Fantastic post. If you communicated like this all the time, you’d be on a pedestal so high no one could touch you.

Last edited:

😍😍😍😍

Coleman, the new faces in the lineup/room, maybe some training/nutrition/conditioning type changes. All different.

But how about the performance (so far) of Plott & Travis wrestling up in weight? Maybe something to look at going forward.

I do Okie st myself and have forever. Just stops confusion could be Oregon st or Ohio st .
I know people say it, but alumni don’t was my point. And considering most (not all) of us here are alumni I just wanted to share that we don’t use that term and would prefer most don’t. Outside of an Oklahoma State fan forum I wouldn’t correct someone for using it though.

Reactions: west2east
I know people say it, but alumni don’t was my point. And considering most (not all) of us here are alumni I just wanted to share that we don’t use that term and would prefer most don’t. Outside of an Oklahoma State fan forum I wouldn’t correct someone for using it though.
Makes sense. Posting on many boards it's just easier for others to understand. Saying OSU here everyone will know who is being talked about I get that. More of a habit now . Don't mean any disrespect by it

Reactions: Chasingthirty-five
I have a bigger problem with “Doucette” than Okie State…😊

Just like when Pat Jones wore the “Aggie” Sweaters…embrace it! Yeah, we are Aggies, what of it?

I just hear fingernails on the chalkboard with “Doucette”

Carter Young hurt as well?
He got hurt toward the end of last year
Can’t remember exactly when.

Unfortunately, don’t know if I’ll ever forget “Whittlake’s” injury…the sounds during & immediately after were awful.

• Wow
Reactions: vhsalum
He got hurt toward the end of last year
Can’t remember exactly when.

Unfortunately, don’t know if I’ll ever forget “Whittlake’s” injury…the sounds during & immediately after were awful.
Carter got hurt at B12s when Alirez shot in. If I remember correctly he broke a bone in his knee and tore the shit out of his quad. Was a weird deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT