ADVERTISEMENT

Stalemate in 30 second overtime period

OSU48

2nd Team
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I realize I'm taking a risk here because of my short memory but don't recall seeing a stalemate called in a 30 second overtime period. I just recall people trying to hold on to anything they can grab a hold of short of the ankles for 5 seconds.

I am still appalled the morning after. I mean Daton has flankers in w wrist control. His favorite top position. Doesn’t have to turn him. Still don’t understand any rule that a ref would call that. Guess real question is, if that was Suriano or a penn st guy on top, would a stalemate be called?

Reactions: chasepollard
You aren't wrong OP. I've never seen it called, even in little league, much less the biggest stage of the sport.

I am still appalled the morning after. I mean Daton has flankers in w wrist control. His favorite top position. Doesn’t have to turn him. Still don’t understand any rule that a ref would call that. Guess real question is, if that was Suriano or a penn st guy on top, would a stalemate be called?

No.

PSU is getting the good bias right now...which is normal when everybody expects you to win.

Are you kidding? If a PSU guy was on top, not only would they have not called the stalemate, they would have hit the bottom guy for stalling.

I watched it again on flo. Pretty obvious that the ref had predetermined that if Fix threw the boots in that he was going to call a stalemate. It was only a couple of seconds after Fix gained real control, like when we all pumped our fists in the air, knowing that Fix was about to win the title, that the ref called stalemate. I know it is a judgement call. From now on, I don’t know the ref’s name, and really don’t want to know it, but I expect him to call it that way every single time. I wonder if that’s a stalemate if the ref’s son is in the top position about to win a national title?

Right? And remember the refs also called Valencia for a headgear violation against Hall a couple of years ago. Shocking.

The headgear pull directly led to a Valencia takedown. You have to make that call. Btw, I agree that the stalemate call shouldn't have happened.

The headgear pull directly led to a Valencia takedown. You have to make that call. Btw, I agree that the stalemate call shouldn't have happened.

Did you not watch the Fix match/video? The headgear grab was the reason Suriano got the winning take down and the only reason as Daton grabbed his headgear and Suriano went around for the take down.

It's called "30 second rideouts" for a reason. There's a difference in the purpose there. Riding without working toward a fall is not considered a stall during that part of the match. Only things that are specific criteria for a fall are stalemate/stall worthy. It seems they knew that rule the prior 30 second rideout with Suriano.

That being said, Daton shouldn't have stopped wrestling and reached for his headgear to protest. He should have continued scrambling and looked for a trail leg to roll over. Coaches have protest bricks to throw for headgear grabs. It was unfair, and a heartbreaking lesson, but hopefully one we never have to experience again.

Did you not watch the Fix match/video? The headgear grab was the reason Suriano got the winning take down and the only reason as Daton grabbed his headgear and Suriano went around for the take down.

Yes, I saw it. Suriano's hand was definitely on the headgear but I didn't see a pull. Disclaimer, my vision may not have been 20/20 last night so I'll have to check the replay....

It's called "30 second rideouts" for a reason. There's a difference in the purpose there. Riding without working toward a fall is not considered a stall during that part of the match. Only things that are specific criteria for a fall are stalemate/stall worthy. It seems they knew that rule the prior 30 second rideout with Suriano.

That being said, Daton shouldn't have stopped wrestling and reached for his headgear to protest. He should have continued scrambling and looked for a trail leg to roll over. Coaches have protest bricks to throw for headgear grabs. It was unfair, and a heartbreaking lesson, but hopefully one we never have to experience again.

Smith threw his last challenge brick earlier in the match for the to look at hands to the face. He didn’t have another bick to throw. I’m surprised the ref even went over to review at the end of the match. Maybe since he didn’t have a brick left is the reason he made the call as stands.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Yes, I saw it. Suriano's hand was definitely on the headgear but I didn't see a pull. Disclaimer, my vision may not have been 20/20 last night so I'll have to check the replay....

He used it as leverage to "push" the head away (not a pull but same effect) with a tight grip which directly and absolutely prevented the go behind and allowed his re-attack shot.

It's like the ref had been reading the Hawkeye board since the Iowa-Ok State dual when Fix rode Desanto with both boots in for almost an entire period.

I watched it again on flo. Pretty obvious that the ref had predetermined that if Fix threw the boots in that he was going to call a stalemate. It was only a couple of seconds after Fix gained real control, like when we all pumped our fists in the air, knowing that Fix was about to win the title, that the ref called stalemate. I know it's a judgement call. From now on, I don’t know the ref’s name, and really don’t want to know it, but I expect him to call it that way every single time. I wonder if that’s a stalemate if the ref’s son is in the top position about to win a national title?

No, it's not a judgement call! Action has to be stale with no opportunity for either wrestler to advance. It is one of the worst calls in the history of and probably the worst stalemate call of the NCAAs.

Reactions: CowboyTanker

Go away! That grab stopped a national title winning takedown. GTFO unless you can be objective...and by that, I mean call it exactly like it is. If it were Nolf, there would be an explosion in your fanbase.

Stalemate, in OT and then that.

It's like the ref had been reading the Hawkeye board since the Iowa-Ok State dual when Fix rode Desanto with both boots in for almost an entire period.

I tend to agree with them on that...but by def, it's not stalling.

I thought I saw Fix make eye contact with the ref right after the boots were in and the ref called stalemate. If he would have messed with something else and not stopped to look at the ref it may not have been called. I did think the stalemate call was way too fast. Acting would have helped.

I thought I saw Fix make eye contact with the ref right after the boots were in and the ref called stalemate. If he would have messed with something else and not stopped to look at the ref it may not have been called. I did think the stalemate call was way too fast. Acting would have helped.

I believe you are right about Daton looking up, but I think he might have been looking for the clock. Still, it could have influenced the ref to stop the action.

Here are some shots from Richard Immel. Click to open up Instagram. Picture #5 is right before the stalement was called. Note Daton only has 1 boot in at this point. Both wrestlers are still in a position to improve.

Picture #7 is the headgear grab. Daton executed a perfectly timed throw by after Suriano went to his knees to wave at a leg. At this point Suriano's hand has slipped off the neck and his fingers are clasped inside the headgear to stop the momentum.

Time to get rid of headgear requirement. Most cauliflower ear happens during practice anyhow. Think about how many stoppages you could eliminate if you didn't have headgear falling off/breaking. Or how many national titles you could win if your opponent didn't grab it.

Reactions: ctdub
Go away! That grab stopped a national title winning takedown. GTFO unless you can be objective...and by that, I mean call it exactly like it is. If it were Nolf, there would be an explosion in your fanbase.

Stalemate, in OT and then that.

"Objective". That's ironic considering I was cheering for Fix. Anyway, hopefully Fix gets on his offense better in the first 3 periods so that these types of controversial calls aren't a factor next time around.

"Objective". That's ironic considering I was cheering for Fix. Anyway, hopefully Fix gets on his offense better in the first 3 periods so that these types of controversial calls aren't a factor next time around.

Of course but it doesn't take away the fact that he was aggressive and offensive enough on top to get his boots in and ride out for the NC or that he was able to "get on" his offense enough in SV2 to execute the winning go behind...

Big championship matches are often 1 or 2 key offensive moves. Happened up and down the championship lineup. The basic expectation is that the officials will make correct calls.

No, "irony" is cheering for someone and not being able to see the truth when the person you're cheering for is encumbered by the opposite of the facts.

Of course we all here wish he scored 73 takedowns and this wasn't the discussion. But in reality, he scored one and officiating gave his title to another guy.

No, "irony" is cheering for someone and not being able to see the truth when the person you're cheering for is encumbered by the opposite of the facts.

Of course we all here wish he scored 73 takedowns and this wasn't the discussion. But in reality, he scored one and officiating gave his title to another guy.

And you're calling me not objective? I know you're still fired up about the result but people are allowed to have differences of opinion. That's what makes it a controversial call or non-call. I've already admitted that I could've missed it. You're saying it's an incontrovertible fact and anyone who disagrees should gtfo. Who's not being objective again?

Yes, I am saying "it's an incontrovertible fact" and if you want to come here and dispute that the stalemate AND the headgear grab are what won the weight, then yes, gtfo!

There are facts here, that stalemate is not called anywhere in any match. Action was not limited or stalled. Both Wrestlers were working. In the first period of the Oklahoma Open when Football is still going on, that call is not made. In the Gotebo Open, div 2 at 30 pounds, that call is not made. In the NCAA Finals, that call is not made. If you want to say that a stalemate should've been called, you are trolling.

The headgear is less disputable from my end and my only argument that cannot be disputed is...the headgear was grabbed, end of story. Did it stop a TD? I think so, but it can be argued. Was it a "hail mary" from Suriano to stay in the match? I think so, but it can be argued. BUT, he for sure, did grab the headgear, which is also an undisputable rule violation.

One thing I do agree with on detractors is that it should've never been reviewed. Smith ignorantly wasted the brick on a hands to the face (I hate that rule) and we did NOT have any challenges. So why let the coach talk you into the challenge?

Not sure if this exactly fits the OP's question because I don't know if it happened in overtime or not...

Rob Koll was interviewed by Track the other day and he was asked which match sticks with him the the most. He answered his NCAA semifinal loss to Greg Elinsky. He said it "...was like Fix. I had double boots in with about 10 seconds left...they stopped it for a stalemate when they shouldn't have because the match would have been over".

Edit: I looked that match up on the PSU site and it says Elinsky won WOT3-3, 5. So it may have happened in overtime. Sounds like it was another horrendous call, but Daton's was even worse because it happened in the finals.

Interview:
https://www.trackwrestling.com/Port...060&twSessionId=jiwtpolxpu&videoId=1421705132

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT