ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking a bird- to brine or not to brine?

ctdub

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2003
I've done one before without brining and it came out pretty good. What are your all thoughts? What about injections?

Brine, 86 the injections. Have Ken Schaefer's (Boston Deli) recipe for brining pork, and have books from several courses at Hasty-Bake classes. Too many beers to find now - lol - but tomorrow is another day!

Google Mad Max Turkey. Been using it for years...good stuff. He does't brine and I don't either (same reasons...no room to do it). But the man has a good set up and recipe.

My family won't let me smoke a turkey without it. You can put a dark brown on the skin, cook the bird thoroughly and the meat will still gush juice when you slice it. No comparison to dry smoking. Best ever.

Being able to submerge the bird in a 3- to 5-gallon bucket in a refrigerator is easiest, but if you're short on space, use a 2-1/2 gallon ziplock bag.

Put the turkey in the bag and place upright in an ice chest. Fill bag with brine to cover bird and zip bag. Keep chest iced overnight and smoke bird tomorrow.

Caution: no matter the brand, the ziplock zipper will not withstand the weight of a turkey and 2-3 gallons of brine. Just sayin'.

If your chest is big enough, you could use a food grade plastic bucket and put your ice outside the bucket. Don't dilute the brine.

Two notes: Don't use a trash bag for the brine and anyone who is on a reduced salt diet may find the smoked bird too salty. People who consume the normal American diet say it does not taste salty at all.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
I do both personally - brine and injections of butter/broth. Melts in your mouth. This will be my 7th year doing it this way.

We are smoking wild turkey's this week and we always brine them.

Also smoking an elk brisket for the first time. It will probably not work out, but giving it a shot

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
The correct answer to this is don't brine a bird that was already brined when you bought it. Most birds you buy at the store are brined already.

I use a dry rub instead a couple hours before putting it on the smoker

I always brine poultry overnight before smoking it. Poultry loses moisture very quickly during cooking. I also baste with a spray bottle of apple juice to create a "crust" to help keep moisture in. Please Please Please do not forget to cover with foil and wrap with towels to let the bird rest after smoking. Resting is the most important part of cooking meat and the thing people usually skip.

Reactions: Orange Jennyslipper
As PTD pointed out, you have to be careful when picking a turkey. It's not so easy to find a turkey that hasn't already been injected with a brining solution. You brine one of those and it will be way too salty to be enjoyable.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll brine unless it's pre brined.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT