ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

Merrill won his 1st 2 matches at HWT by 1st period pin. He seems to be carrying a bunch of extra weight as would be expected. Guerrero won his 1st match by pin in the 2nd period. Villa senor won by 1st period pin and then 2nd period tech. Quarter finals will be the next round and all 3 should have better opponents to face.
Villa senor, that's how he'll be known from now on🤣🤣, thanks Harley

• Haha
Reactions: JAY45
Any program that has 5+ Daton Fixes coming every year should be able to tell a story of turning top recruits into multiple time NC monsters. Unfortunately only PSU has that level of consistent recruiting and has been doing it for over a decade. If AJ hadn't lost his mind he could've been going for a 4th title this year.
Good point
Merrill won his 1st 2 matches at HWT by 1st period pin. He seems to be carrying a bunch of extra weight as would be expected. Guerrero won his 1st match by pin in the 2nd period. Villa senor won by 1st period pin and then 2nd period tech. Quarter finals will be the next round and all 3 should have better opponents to face.
HarleyCowboy, bringing us back to wrestling, nice job. I really like Merrill

Tell me how many they have turned into NC that weren’t top ranked kids They have been there 14 years and have not ever recruited a kid to even be an American much less a national champion

Your wrong 2015 96 kg Junior national champ 2015 Junior world team member 90%, a Penn State’s national champs were ranked number one in the country or had already made a world team already

Nope. You changed your argument. Cassar was NOT top ranked BEFORE he got to psu. He did not even qualify for the state tournament til his senior year(2014) of high school. 2015 he was already at psu.

I bet he stays up at HWT. That way he doesn’t have to face his younger brother who will be one of the favorites to win state at 215.

Reactions: JAY45
I bet he stays up at HWT. That way he doesn’t have to face his younger brother who will be one of the favorites to win state at 215.
I think that you are right. In the quarters Cody won again with a 1st period pin. Villasenor won by tech in the 2nd period. Guerrero gave up a couple of sloppy reversals but still won 10 to 5 in the quarters.

Nope. You changed your argument. Cassar was NOT top ranked BEFORE he got to psu. He did not even qualify for the state tournament til his senior year(2014) of high school. 2015 he was already at psu.
Cassar does meet the criteria of an unranked recruit becoming a NC, so PSU deserves credit for that. But to be fair, that's also largely because he was a late bloomer who was missed by the rankers.

He was 73-30 thru his first 3 years, never making it to state. Then he got serious about training after losing at regionals his junior year (said it in an interview). As a senior he went 43-0 and won his only state title, 1 of only 4 people in NJ prep history to go from never qualifying to winning. He committed to PSU late, in April of his senior year. Before enrolling at PSU he wrestled at Beat the Streets in NYC. He won despite having never wrestled freestyle before and his explosiveness was apparent even back then.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
I think that you are right. In the quarters Cody won again with a 1st period pin. Villasenor won by tech in the 2nd period. Guerrero gave up a couple of sloppy reversals but still won 10 to 5 in the quarters.
I watched 2 of the finals where Guerrero was riding and leading 1 to 0. He got sloppy and a little too aggressive and gave up the reversal and went to his back for 2 more points in the last 10 seconds of the match to lose 4 to 1 to Barbosa. Barbosa beat the 7th rated 157 in the country who was seeded 1 in this weight class. Merrill beat 7th rated HWT Sahakian 3 to1. Late in the 3rd period his opponent shot and got a leg and Merrill spun back got his leg free for the take down and the win. Villasenor won 3 to 0 to win the title but did not have a replay of the match at this time.

Last edited:
I watched 2 of the finals where Guerrero was riding and leading 1 to 0. He got sloppy and a little too aggressive and gave up the reversal and went to his back for 2 more points in the last 10 seconds of the match to lose 4 to 1 to Barbosa. Barbosa beat the 7th rated 157 in the country who was seeded 1 in this weight class. Merrill beat 7th rated HWT Sahakian 3 to1. Late in the 3rd period his opponent shot and got a leg and Merrill spun back got his leg free for the take down and the win. Villasenor won 3 to 0 to win the title but did not have a replay of the match at this time.
Coby Merrill beat the 7th rated 215 in the country 3 to 2. Coby is rated 8th. I was wondering if he could be a HWT down the road but he might be a little shorter than Cody, so it is questionable ( very short).

Guerrero was leg riding and the official gave him a stalling call early in the period. I think that’s probably why he was put himself in a bad position to get the turn. The stall call was not a very good one Guerrero seemed to be isolating an arm for a turn .

Guerrero was leg riding and the official gave him a stalling call early in the period. I think that’s probably why he was put himself in a bad position to get the turn. The stall call was not a very good one Guerrero seemed to be isolating an arm for a turn .
I agree.

Coby Merrill beat the 7th rated 215 in the country 3 to 2. Coby is rated 8th. I was wondering if he could be a HWT down the road but he might be a little shorter than Cody, so it is questionable ( very short).
Ya he doesn’t look like a heavy right now but in 3 years I’m not sure where he will be. If he doesn’t grow I’m guessing anything from 184 up. But also expecting him to grow IMO.

Cody gave up at least 40 pounds last night and even though it was close I never really felt like he wasn’t going to win. Impressive.

Will college ever add a 215 or something similar? With how many elite light heavy’s there have been recently def would be guys for it.

Reactions: AtownPoke
225 seems like the happy medium...Light Heavyweight lol
I checked out Oklahoma dual state and Lockett won by pin over Sand Springs and tech fall over Edmund North wrestling 165. Very dominating. McComas lost in overtime wrestling 138 against Hollingsworth of Edmund North. The Stillwater team has really fallen in regards to wrestling talent because Edmund North killed them. Guerrero might be injured because he did not wrestle against Edmund North.

Last edited:
FloWrestling 2024 Commits

I just ran across this ranking. I don't know how current this is but here are #2 thru 10:

Ohio State; 1-Top 10, 1-Top 20, 1-Top 50, 0-Top 100
Missouri; 1-Top 10, 0-Top 20, 3-Top 50, 1-Top 100
Iowa; 1-Top 10, 0-Top 20, 1-Top 50, 1-Top 100
Michigan; 1-Top 10, 0-Top 20, 1-Top 50, 1-Top 100
Minnesota; 1-Top 10, 0-Top 20, 1-Top 50, 1-Top 100
Oklahoma State; 1-Top 10, 0-Top 20, 0-Top 50, 1-Top 100
Arizona State; 0-Top 10, 2-Top 20, 0-Top 50, 0-Top 100
Stanford; 0-Top 10, 1-Top 20, 3-Top 50, 2-Top 100
Iowa State; 0-Top 10, 1-Top 20, 2-Top 50, 0-Top 100

An then there's PSU:

Penn State; 4-Top 10, 1-Top 20, 1-Top 50, 0-Top 100

I've said this before some where else but, how can the NCAA see this and not see that there is a problem that should be addressed?

FloWrestling 2024 Commits

I just ran across this ranking. I don't know how current this is but here are #2 thru 10:

Ohio State; 1-Top 10, 1-Top 20, 1-Top 50, 0-Top 100
Missouri; 1-Top 10, 0-Top 20, 3-Top 50, 1-Top 100
Iowa; 1-Top 10, 0-Top 20, 1-Top 50, 1-Top 100
Michigan; 1-Top 10, 0-Top 20, 1-Top 50, 1-Top 100
Minnesota; 1-Top 10, 0-Top 20, 1-Top 50, 1-Top 100
Oklahoma State; 1-Top 10, 0-Top 20, 0-Top 50, 1-Top 100
Arizona State; 0-Top 10, 2-Top 20, 0-Top 50, 0-Top 100
Stanford; 0-Top 10, 1-Top 20, 3-Top 50, 2-Top 100
Iowa State; 0-Top 10, 1-Top 20, 2-Top 50, 0-Top 100

An then there's PSU:

Penn State; 4-Top 10, 1-Top 20, 1-Top 50, 0-Top 100

I've said this before some where else but, how can the NCAA see this and not see that there is a problem that should be addressed?
We need to steal those recruits from slap dick programs like Ohio St, Missouri and Minnesota

We need to steal those recruits from slap dick programs like Ohio St, Missouri and Minnesota
I saw Lockett won regionals at 165 all 1st period pins. McComas won 132 with at least a major and Guerrero won 150 with at least majors. After 2025 (Lockett) is there an Oklahoma young wrestler coming up that is really a top prospect. The well seems to be drying up but I could be missing some young wrestlers who are looking like stars for say the Cowboys?

I saw Lockett won regionals at 165 all 1st period pins. McComas won 132 with at least a major and Guerrero won 150 with at least majors. After 2025 (Lockett) is there an Oklahoma young wrestler coming up that is really a top prospect. The well seems to be drying up but I could be missing some young wrestlers who are looking like stars for say the Cowboys?
I looked at Flos 2026 big board. Not many OK kids but that could be a big recruiting year for us. Jax Forrest, Coby Merrill, and Michael Mocco are all in the top 10 rn. There’s also a guy named Aiden Cooley who’s 16th overall and is from Allen, Texas.

Has anyone else notice how much presence the Iowa high school state championships has on the internet? Maybe it’s just my algorithms but that’s the type of presence we need in OK. They are on my shorts, they are on flo, they have featured matches. Iowa does a great job promoting their youth wrestlers.

Has anyone else notice how much presence the Iowa high school state championships has on the internet? Maybe it’s just my algorithms but that’s the type of presence we need in OK. They are on my shorts, they are on flo, they have featured matches. Iowa does a great job promoting their youth wrestlers.
Tony Hager from IAwrestle does an amazing job covering Iowa HS wrestling. Every state should strive for that

Hickman and Teague also won regionals. Teague is undefeated this year and has been crushing guys. I don't think he's hit anyone ranked yet, but he did tech a solid freshman from Gilroy earlier in the season.
Need a different venue then. I love the fairgrounds but it’s so spread out that packing it seems like a chore.

A couple to watch:
-Cason Craft is a 33-0 freshman at Sallisaw at 106. He has won every match by bonus with only one major decision. HS coach is Mark Smith.
- Legend Ellis is 48-1 freshman from Coweta. Wrestles at 126. His only loss is to Iowa State signee and 3X state champ Canon Acklin. Acklin's HS record is something like 100-5. Acklin won their matchup in the regional final 1-0. Should be a great re-match at state this weekend assuming they make the finals.

Jaeden Adams 8th grader from Stillwater is in Willies Jr High rankings at 145. He’s the only Jr High Oklahoma kid in his rankings.
I was impressed with our freshman at JR high state. Reyon Williams from Union was the only kid at state that didn’t get pinned by Adam’s. Adam’s pinned everyone in the first period under 2 minutes. Reyon took him all 3 periods and lost 5-3.

I have a few freshman at Union right now that if they keep progressing they have a chance to be special. Just have to convince their dads that their future is in wrestling not football.

Jaeden Adams is Ladarion's brother. I have him ranked 2nd at 145.

Ellis won Cheesehead which is a tremendous accomplishment for a middle weight freshman.
My grandson knows this Legend Ellis kid, I didn’t know he was that good a wrestler. I told him to text last night and tell him he better go Osu if they offer. You think he will be Osu good?

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Great to see willie in the chat. Legend is the real deal! Coweta will be a powerhouse in a few years. Word is they'll start hitting several major tournaments (like Ironman) and will be make a name for themselves soon!

Great to see willie in the chat. Legend is the real deal! Coweta will be a powerhouse in a few years. Word is they'll start hitting several major tournaments (like Ironman) and will be make a name for themselves soon!
They have a kid named Toby Shipman that won state as a freshman last year, I wouldnt know him if I saw him. I wonder if he will be recruited by Osu?

They better figure out how to beat Elgin first In dual State. Cody has done a great job with that program

Reactions: driad
Jaeden Adams is Ladarion's brother. I have him ranked 2nd at 145.

Ellis won Cheesehead which is a tremendous accomplishment for a middle weight freshman.
Adams is a stud and has been since he was 6. I believe he might be a old 8th grader but it don’t matter cause he is a bad ass

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT