ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

@blair2000 any insight. It is looking pretty tough on the “we only take top guys” front. PSU has a mountain of talent comparatively

RankGradeNameSchoolCollegeBest WinLast LossDateEvent
1Sr.Angelo FerrariMelissa TXIowaSealeyLeyOct. '21Super 32
2Jr.PJ DukeMinisink NYPenn St.LockettRoggieApr. '22CD Trials
3Sr.Zack RyderMinisink NYPenn St.SinclairThompsonSept. '22WNO
4Sr.Luke LilledahlWy Sem PAPenn St.CourtneyMezaApr. '23Elite 8
5Sr.Aeodin SinclairMilton WIMissouriMirasolaRyderApr. '22CD Trials
6Sr.Connor MirasolaWest Bend WIPenn St.Max DeanSinclairSept. '23WNO
7Sr.Ben DavinoSt. Charles ILOhio St.ForrestVegaOct. '23Super 32
8Sr.Koy HopkeAmery WIMinnesotaSchunkeSchunkeDec. '23XMas
9Jr.Anthony KnoxSJ Vianney NJCornellBassettBlazeMay '23CD Trials
10So.Jax ForrestMcCort PALilledahlLilledahlDec. '23Ironman
11Sr.Joe SealeyWy Sem NCPenn St.LockettFerrariDec. '23Ironman
12Jr.Ladarion LockettStillwater OKOK StateHenckelSealeyDec. '23Ironman
13Jr.Marcus BlazePerrysburg OHRamosDavinoDec. '23Ironman
14So.Bo BassettMcCort PALilledahlZepedaSept. '23WNO
15Sr.Brock MantanonaPalm Desert CAMichiganG. ClarkLemusFeb. '23State
16Jr.Jude CorreaWy Sem PALawrenceSinclairApr. '22CD Trials
17Jr.Leo DelucaBlair (NY)IowaBlazeKnoxSept. '23WNO
18Jr.Vince BouzakisWy Sem PARoutledgeDennyOct. '23Super 32
19Sr.Cole MirasolaWest Bend WIPenn St.JohnsonMerrillJuly '23Fargo
20Sr.Pierson ManvilleState College PAArizona St.RathLinsmanJuly '23Fargo
OUTSr.Cody MerrillGilroy CAOK StateR. RogersArnoldJuly '21Fargo
OUTSr.Aden ValenciaSobrato CAStanfordS. GrossZepedaOct. '22Doc B

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Is Cody Merrill even wrestling this year since Who's Number 1 because I can't find any results for him when I check. That would be the only explanation because Cody beat number 16 Jude Correa at least by major at Who is Number 1. It is unbelievable that they have 7 commitments with the top 20 pound for pound ratings. Them having the best finances of any wrestling Program must allow them to get this many top kids. They can now give NIL when they run out of the 9.9 scholarships. We likely would have 3 on this list based on talent with Merrill, Sakamoto and Lockett. Veasey is not good news, but we may have our replacement for Plott on the roster already with Jersey Robb. However, that is based on a match where Robb got pinned. I wish he would have gone to the SS along with some other young wrestlers. I don't think that anyone who is part of our future went.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Is Cody Merrill even wrestling this year since Who's Number 1 because I can't find any results for him when I check. That would be the only explanation because Cody beat number 16 Jude Correa at least by major at Who is Number 1. It is unbelievable that they have 7 commitments with the top 20 pound for pound ratings. Them having the best finances of any wrestling Program must allow them to get this many top kids. They can now give NIL when they run out of the 9.9 scholarships. We likely would have 3 on this list based on talent with Merrill, Sakamoto and Lockett. Veasey is not good news, but we may have our replacement for Plott on the roster already with Jersey Robb. However, that is based on a match where Robb got pinned. I wish he would have gone to the SS along with some other young wrestlers. I don't think that anyone who is part of our future went.
He said that he dropped CM due to not competing this year

@blair2000 any insight. It is looking pretty tough on the “we only take top guys” front. PSU has a mountain of talent comparatively

RankGradeNameSchoolCollegeBest WinLast LossDateEvent
1Sr.Angelo FerrariMelissa TXIowaSealeyLeyOct. '21Super 32
2Jr.PJ DukeMinisink NYPenn St.LockettRoggieApr. '22CD Trials
3Sr.Zack RyderMinisink NYPenn St.SinclairThompsonSept. '22WNO
4Sr.Luke LilledahlWy Sem PAPenn St.CourtneyMezaApr. '23Elite 8
5Sr.Aeodin SinclairMilton WIMissouriMirasolaRyderApr. '22CD Trials
6Sr.Connor MirasolaWest Bend WIPenn St.Max DeanSinclairSept. '23WNO
7Sr.Ben DavinoSt. Charles ILOhio St.ForrestVegaOct. '23Super 32
8Sr.Koy HopkeAmery WIMinnesotaSchunkeSchunkeDec. '23XMas
9Jr.Anthony KnoxSJ Vianney NJCornellBassettBlazeMay '23CD Trials
10So.Jax ForrestMcCort PALilledahlLilledahlDec. '23Ironman
11Sr.Joe SealeyWy Sem NCPenn St.LockettFerrariDec. '23Ironman
12Jr.Ladarion LockettStillwater OKOK StateHenckelSealeyDec. '23Ironman
13Jr.Marcus BlazePerrysburg OHRamosDavinoDec. '23Ironman
14So.Bo BassettMcCort PALilledahlZepedaSept. '23WNO
15Sr.Brock MantanonaPalm Desert CAMichiganG. ClarkLemusFeb. '23State
16Jr.Jude CorreaWy Sem PALawrenceSinclairApr. '22CD Trials
17Jr.Leo DelucaBlair (NY)IowaBlazeKnoxSept. '23WNO
18Jr.Vince BouzakisWy Sem PARoutledgeDennyOct. '23Super 32
19Sr.Cole MirasolaWest Bend WIPenn St.JohnsonMerrillJuly '23Fargo
20Sr.Pierson ManvilleState College PAArizona St.RathLinsmanJuly '23Fargo
OUTSr.Cody MerrillGilroy CAOK StateR. RogersArnoldJuly '21Fargo
OUTSr.Aden ValenciaSobrato CAStanfordS. GrossZepedaOct. '22Doc B
Yes the do but the good thing is they have a lot more guys than there is weights so the guys they just committed will never see the line up yes, it’s great for Depth with Lockett r Rin and Merrill that’s 3 number 1 and I hope you know we are starting 4 Fr right now so we can do the same think but it will be hard for many kids to make our lineup and we don’t have millions to put ever kid on NIL to be workout partners we also have 2 #1 redshirting it’s just going to take a little more time and patience and the portal lol lol

Tell me how many number ones we have got in the last 10 years in the last two years is the right path previous eight not so much

We have had plenty of top end HS talent commit to OSU over the last decade. Plenty of guys ranked around the guys PSU is turning into NC’s or multi time NC’s.

We aren’t. It’s pretty easy to look at and see.

We have had plenty of top end HS talent commit to OSU over the last decade. Plenty of guys ranked around the guys PSU is turning into NC’s or multi time NC’s.

We aren’t. It’s pretty easy to look at and see.
We’ve had one individual national champion in the last seven years and that was crazy AJ. That simply isn’t good enough

Producing NCAA champs hasn't been easy for anyone other than PSU. They have been in a different league.

Dean Heil was a champ in 2017, Ferrari in 2021. So 2 guys in the last 6 contested tournaments. During that same span Iowa also has 2 (Clark, Lee), Cornell 2 (Yianni, Vito), Michigan 2 (Suriano, Parris), and Ohio St 1 (Snyder).

Producing NCAA champs hasn't been easy for anyone other than PSU. They have been in a different league.

Dean Heil was a champ in 2017, Ferrari in 2021. So 2 guys in the last 6 contested tournaments. During that same span Iowa also has 2 (Clark, Lee), Cornell 2 (Yianni, Vito), Michigan 2 (Suriano, Parris), and Ohio St 1 (Snyder).
Very good point

This kind of context is important. Thanks for sharing!

No question but PSU is our comparable. We are comparing ourselves with any program who is also expecting and competing for NC’s. For the most part of the past decade plus it’s been one program.

• Love
Reactions: okcpokefan12
We get top recruits, but it seems that they do not get any better once they get here! Development seems to be our biggest issue! The best one that got better in the last ten years, Preston Weigel? Nolan Boyd?

We get top recruits, but it seems that they do not get any better once they get here! Development seems to be our biggest issue! The best one that got better in the last ten years, Preston Weigel? Nolan Boyd?
I know its felt like this to me at times but looking at the numbers it doesn't pan out. Who improved since arriving at OSU? Picc. Brock. Lewellan. Plott. Dieringer. Rogers. Witcraft. Heil. White. Crutchmer. Our boy AJ. Surber. Izzak. Could list more if I looked at rosters to jog my memory. In contrast I can think of only a few OSU starters that seemed to have hit their ceiling early on - they certainly stand out, but the number is quite low.

Last edited:
Flo article shows Merrill is registered at heavyweight for this weekend's Doc B. Villasenor & Guerrero are also competing.
His little brother is wrestling 215, he's really good too. Cody is going heavyweight, wonder what he's weighing?

Reactions: Wrassler17

I hate calling out athletes as many of the guys busted their tails for us for 4 or 5 years but I posted a complete reseting list that has about 10 to 12 names of blue chip type recruits that many people would of predicted them developing into NC caliber wrestlers and they just haven’t.

We have a couple on the roster currently one of which is my favorite wrestler of all time.

we might not be getting these recruits right now but I have a feeling we will have multiple of them in the next few years from the transfer portal. PSU is getting all the top guys but they all aren't going to be making the lineup/willing to sit 2-3 years to maybe wrestle for a year or 2 when they can start anywhere else, it looks great on paper but guys are going to get frustrated and leave. We have to be ready with our RTC, new practice room, NIL money etc to pounce when the right kids become available

we might not be getting these recruits right now but I have a feeling we will have multiple of them in the next few years from the transfer portal. PSU is getting all the top guys but they all aren't going to be making the lineup/willing to sit 2-3 years to maybe wrestle for a year or 2 when they can start anywhere else, it looks great on paper but guys are going to get frustrated and leave. We have to be ready with our RTC, new practice room, NIL money etc to pounce when the right kids become available
💯

Those happen on occasion. Johnny Thompson and Chris Pendelton performed far better than their recruiting status. There was a guy back in that era that we had that never won in CA not sure if he AA'd but did olypic medal. I am sure someone will remember. Maybe Jarrod Saunders?

Those happen on occasion. Johnny Thompson and Chris Pendelton performed far better than their recruiting status. There was a guy back in that era that we had that never won in CA not sure if he AA'd but did olypic medal. I am sure someone will remember. Maybe Jarrod Saunders?
Jamil, Kelly Chris Pendleton won the high school nationals his senior year and won the most fouls award at the tournaments. Johnny Thompson was served at the senior nationals that year lost to the number one ranked guy in the country in overtime but I agree if we’re using the same criteria as number one right guys in the country those two guys would not be in that category that Pendleton was pretty high up. Johnny never wrestled freestyle, so it affected his ranking.

Jamil, Kelly Chris Pendleton won the high school nationals his senior year and won the most fouls award at the tournaments. Johnny Thompson was served at the senior nationals that year lost to the number one ranked guy in the country in overtime but I agree if we’re using the same criteria as number one right guys in the country those two guys would not be in that category that Pendleton was pretty high up. Johnny never wrestled freestyle, so it affected his ranking.
Falls lol

Your wrong 2015 96 kg Junior national champ 2015 Junior world team member 90%, a Penn State’s national champs were ranked number one in the country or had already made a world team already
I get it with the talent Penn State gets you guys might look at a junior, national champ or Junior world team member as average
that statement is pretty much true what I said, but I meant 25

We have a couple on the roster currently one of which is my favorite wrestler of all time.
Who's your fave wrestler of all time?? Quite an honor :)
Jamill Kelly did okay in college but then medaled at Olympics.

Who's your fave wrestler of all time?? Quite an honor :)

Jamill Kelly did okay in college but then medaled at Olympics.
Jamil was a part-time starter Oklahoma State had another athlete named Charles Walker. They switched off neither one became all Americans.

Daton Fix and it kills me other fans point to him as an example of our inability to develop.

Kid was absolutely robbed of a NC against Suriano.
Just because the guy doesn’t win a national title does it mean he didn’t develop or improve.Daton has had a great career i at Oklahoma State a lot of it depends on who was that your weight also

Just because the guy doesn’t win a national title does it mean he didn’t develop or improve.Daton has had a great career i at Oklahoma State a lot of it depends on who was that your weight also

I agree but doesn’t stop the perception and narrative. PSU takes guys like Fix and turns them into multiple time NC monsters.

I agree but doesn’t stop the perception and narrative. PSU takes guys like Fix and turns them into multiple time NC monsters.
Any program that has 5+ Daton Fixes coming every year should be able to tell a story of turning top recruits into multiple time NC monsters. Unfortunately only PSU has that level of consistent recruiting and has been doing it for over a decade. If AJ hadn't lost his mind he could've been going for a 4th title this year.

Flo article shows Merrill is registered at heavyweight for this weekend's Doc B. Villasenor & Guerrero are also competing.
Merrill won his 1st 2 matches at HWT by 1st period pin. He seems to be carrying a bunch of extra weight as would be expected. Guerrero won his 1st match by pin in the 2nd period. Villa senor won by 1st period pin and then 2nd period tech. Quarter finals will be the next round and all 3 should have better opponents to face.

Reactions: Wrassler17 and DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT