ADVERTISEMENT

Positions to improve upon

Mar 2, 2014
We have a lot of work to do in order to catch up with Penn State. They have been heads and shoulders above us technically, for the last few years. Their mat wrestling is superb, and the extra back point has certainly played into their favor. I really admire how well each of them emulates Cale's style on their feet. I wish more of our guys would adapt to John's style. He had some of the best set ups I have ever seen. I used his style when I wrestled on my feet, like most guys my age did, and had a high rate of success. I wouldn't wrestle any other way on my feet, so I'm wondering why we got away form that style of wrestling. I'd love to see some fake shots and level changes before we attack the legs.

Reactions: cachap5327
I think the largest result is because Cael has recruited the best kids but not just any good kids but largely on their style of wrestling and the type of kids they actually are. I mean Nolf and Nickal for example have always wrestled that "go go go" style so it wasn't anything he had to do as far as convincing them to do it because it's the only thing they've ever known. He gets technicians not world class hand fighters. He just shaperens their set of nice tools they've already had. For example, Heil has never been a guy that opens up a lot, didn't even do it in high school. Therefore, whose style translates easier? Well of course Penn State. You don't have to necessarily wrestle like your coach to experience a ton of success. it does however make the transition a lot easier because everything your learning in the room is something your likely to do or use in competition. I think John does a great job developing talent and getting the best out his wrestlers but the difference is where most of Cael kids are before he ever gets them. Largely because of his creditials but mainly because he lies in a hot bed of high school wrestling. Not that I would want John near PA but if he was then he would get his hands on just as many of the kids Cael gets. Like: Suriano, Hall, Nolf, Cenzo, etc.

Last edited:
I'm torn on this topic....I'd love to see 10 guys on the mat juking guys out of their shoes and snatching ankles, but I'm not sure that's the best answer for each individual wrestler. I think you're a stronger recruiter, with a larger target set, when you can take a guy with a certain skill set and build on it, instead of only looking for guys who can succeed with your skill set.

Cael has the advantage b/c the wrestling talent base in his backyard far outpaces ours. John has discussed this before and has put a lot of effort into developing talented high school wrestlers and coaches locally. It's been relatively successful IMO, but we're still at a proportional disadvantage b/c of population which makes it all the more important that we don't pigeonhole ourselves into only recruiting guys who fit a certain mold. I think the way we stay competitive is by taking talented wrestlers, with a variety of styles, and improve on those styles by adding technique which has proven to be successful and works for that particular athlete. That technique can come from anywhere, not just the past competitive success of our head coach.

Reactions: Wrassler223
I seem to remember a quote by John from years ago that one of the mistakes he made as a young coach was trying to turn all of the guys into John Smith clones. He realized that he needed to play to each wrestlers strengths and help them develop their own style. That being said, I agree that the Penn State guys seem to be much more technically sound than our guys do, for the most part (Alex being an exception, and possibly Joe Smith). I would love to see Heil, Collica, Weigel and a few others explode through a takedown without turning each one into a scramble situation. I think Nolan Boyd really improved in that area this year, so maybe the others will, too. Oklahoma high school wrestling seems to be on an upswing, and maybe Texas is, too. We have to do a better job of identifying the outstanding prospects and keeping them at home.

The Big 5 for psu are so similar to Cael's movements on their feet that it is scary. I don't think he makes them wrestle that way but I do believe he identifies wrestlers based on how he wrestles and then fine-tunes them into point machines.

I'm not advocating for completely changing everyone's style to emulate our coaches, but there are certain guys who could definitely benefit from being more elusive at their set ups. . I just think we have gotten a little to far away from that style of wrestling. There are plenty of other shots besides the low single that can be set up with that type of high energy, aggressive approach. Meanwhile, Cael's wrestlers are emulating their coach's style and smashing opponents.

I don't believe Cael recruits a style that is necessarily similar to his at all. Nico and Retherford have styles much different than Nolf and Nickal and DT. I think what Cael recruits when going after a top dog is the alpha male, are passionate about wrestling, and want to work hard to win. Those guys are teachable, and they usually have a really good technical base of knowledge for him to work with once in the room. To me, what Cael brings to the mix is a desire for his guys to chain wrestle on top and in neutral no matter the style of the wrestler. He adapts the training to fit the comfort zone of the wrestler, but the wrestler has to be able to accept the training. Most accept that challenge. A few don't. I think what Cael stays away from are the guys who win in HS through brute strength because they matured faster than others, and not because they are strong technically.

I think John Smith is very similar to Cael in recruitment and training of his guys, and probably is why you guys and always neck and neck with PSU. tOSU seems to have a similar formula. Not sure the "Iowa style" works anymore. Wrestlers need to thrive in their own comfort zone. An analogy would be to attempt to make Tom Brady into a run and shoot QB because that is what the coach wants his offense to run. Build upon strength and minimize weakness.

Oklahoma Youth and High school wrestling is diffently on the upswing. Just go watch some youth tournaments and you will see some really young kids with lots of talent wrestling far above where most their age do. Seeing a lot of very sound technique being coached young.

Reactions: Poel_Jeer
People must forget, John had much more in his arsenal then a low single, I'm not talking about getting good at a shot, I'm talking the desire to want to pound somebody by more then 3-4 points. Expect to score many points through chain wrestling, and improve technique in every position possible. As well as learn new stuff because of a love for the sport.

Fix and Gfeller were both in the Okstate wrestling room today. Fix was taking down piccinini at ease and Gfeller was going toe to toe with heil and scoring multiple points on him.
Maybe good for the future , not so good for now. I have wondered if Nick is quick enough to be elite. Also watched all of Sheets matches and I wonder if he is quick enough. Someone in another thread thought that John would teach him takedown wrestling but that's a real question mark. Also just like Weigel, Sheets could not keep real good wrestlers down. Also I did not know if the guys who beat him were real good or just good wrestlers. I appreciate the information.

Maybe good for the future , not so good for now. I have wondered if Nick is quick enough to be elite. Also watched all of Sheets matches and I wonder if he is quick enough. Someone in another thread thought that John would teach him takedown wrestling but that's a real question mark. Also just like Weigel, Sheets could not keep real good wrestlers down. Also I did not know if the guys who beat him were real good or just good wrestlers. I appreciate the information.
However I will say that Heil may not have given up a takedown in the tournament and so if he gave up points I would think they would be escapes if he was trying hard.

Reactions: Wrassler223
However I will say that Heil may not have given up a takedown in the tournament and so if he gave up points I would think they would be escapes if he was trying hard.
I watched the match of Keegan Moore against Penn. He lost 13 to 8. He has been very poor on the bottom and got turned a bunch of times last night. He was behind 11 to 0 after the first period. He did come back with 4 takedowns but had to choose neutral when it was his choice. In the last month our recruits have not shined. I am concerned that Moore is a little like Marsteller, a guy who developed physically early. I think he won the triple crown early in high school and now he is not as impressive. I hope that I am wrong. We need a great recruiting class this next year.

I watched the match of Keegan Moore against Penn. He lost 13 to 8. He has been very poor on the bottom and got turned a bunch of times last night. He was behind 11 to 0 after the first period. He did come back with 4 takedowns but had to choose neutral when it was his choice. In the last month our recruits have not shined. I am concerned that Moore is a little like Marsteller, a guy who developed physically early. I think he won the triple crown early in high school and now he is not as impressive. I hope that I am wrong. We need a great recruiting class this next year.
It is true he was put on his back three different times after a counter takedown in the first. He succumbed to straight half nelsons to his opponent who looked very strong. The rest of the match was four takedowns to none for Moore. While disappointing I saw a lot in Moore but he definitely is going to have to work in the bottom position. I see the match going completely the other way without the counter takedown. Moore was the aggressor the entire match except for the time he spent on bottom in the first. It was just too much to make up and he ran out of gas just trying.

But isn't that true for MOST kids coming out of high school...troubles with bottom wrestling. Seems to me that all the kids out of high school are good on their feet and decent on top with a few exceptions being all around awesome. What I like is exactly what Obe said, he was the aggressor and tried to come back with solid takedowns. He'll have a redshirt year to work with Boyd who is a hammer on top.

Jared Campbell of St. Edwards 220 pounder just pinned his guy in the finals of FloNationals. Maybe he is a possibility for a heavyweight after next year as I believe he is a Junior this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT