ADVERTISEMENT

NWCA Duals

PSU home meets are sold out in September, only standing room tickets are available, and as mentioned above it is THON weekend. THON is the largest student run philanthropy in the country, raising over $12,000,000 annually to fight pediatric cancer and support for families whose children are suffering from the disease. Anyone planning to come to PSU should allow time to attend this event. It is awesome!!!

Reactions: Agoodnap
He was today.
Cr;utch was on crutches and his foot looked like it was in more of a cast than just a boot. I am no doctor and do not know but he may be out for the year.He certainly will not be ready to wrestle on2/21 and I would say Joe is not a lock to be able to wrestle in a week. We will be going to Happy Valley without a lot bullets in the pistol. I do not think we could win at Penn State if we had everyone healthy including Brock. We are a better tournament team and could have two National champions and 5-6 more All-Americans. That is Orange colored glasses territory but Heil and Dierenger are favored to win it all and Klimara, Collica, Smith, Boyd and Marsden could all place. Joe would not be seeded in the top four even without the loss to Palacio and the injury but he is fully capable of coming back and placing in the top 5-6.

Thanks for update about crutchmer. Tough weekend Ahead for 174 with #1 and #2 ranked wrestlers. Collica won't have it much easier with both his opponents in top 5. Should be interesting....

Thanks for update about crutchmer. Tough weekend Ahead for 174 with #1 and #2 ranked wrestlers. Collica won't have it much easier with both his opponents in top 5. Should be interesting....
Good chance for Collica to make a statement. He is really coming on strong.

Reactions: osu2082
Sounds like you guys are correct as another message board said crutchmer is likely out for the year according to Rex on broadcast today. Very Slim possibility he will be back for conference tournament.

Sounds like you guys are correct as another message board said crutchmer is likely out for the year according to Rex on broadcast today. Very Slim possibility he will be back for conference tournament.

Sometimes one can come back from a broken foot faster than a high ankle sprain. Getting back in shape is another issue, but at least a couple guys have won NCAA after similar.

Sometimes one can come back from a broken foot faster than a high ankle sprain. Getting back in shape is another issue, but at least a couple guys have won NCAA after similar.
This is true, depending on the fracture as well as the grade of the sprain, but do we know what the injury is?

He could not walk without crutches as of yesterday. I don't believe he will return this season. Probably way too late for a medical redshirt.

He could not walk without crutches as of yesterday. I don't believe he will return this season. Probably way too late for a medical redshirt.
Just scuttle-butt but I heard it may be two broken bones in his foot. Just what I saw yesterday I do not think he will return this year and we will sorely miss him at the big dance. I hope I am wrong.

From a wrestling fan perspective I love some of the match ups. However, from a coaches perspective I would not attend simply because of time of year. Let's face it.... Guys have a better chance of getting hurt in the practice room but with all things considered ( travel, expenses, and potential injury) I think the cons outweigh the pros.

I heard Crutchmer tell someone yesterday that it is a sprain but he didn't say more.

i can not support this event

Word I got from a season ticket holder is that OSU ticket office has no tickets. Are they really not going to allocate any tickets to the traveling teams and the b10 gets all the tickets, or do they just not yet know? I simply can't believe NWCA is in favor of this b10 event! It won't be a big deal for most sites, but it will be an issue at Penn St.

I just simply don't think it is a good idea to go. If it were more of an deal that allowed us to get some money and promoted Wrestling, I would be all for it, no matter the matchups. As it currently sits, this is a promotion for Big10 Wrestling in a Wrestling rich area.

IMO, put it in a centralized area and start an annual event. Split the money according to place and allocate the exact same amount of tickets. It doesn't do AS good putting it in a place where Wrestling is more important and if things like this keep happening, Wrestling will continue to suffer.

As a side note, don't refer to Penn State as Ped St.! They really don't take that very well and shouldn't. I know it is just a joke to most, but I know I wouldn't like it if our Football team and a few other sick people tarnished our brand forever.

Why would we walk into a stacked deck that will serve as nothing but an advertisement for Big 10 wrestling? All home for them? Just participating and the whole premise lends itself to the story line Big 10 is the only conference to wrestle in. We should do an OSU takes on the world with all home meets in GIA.
You need to toughen up a bit get T shirts like Iowa used to have "We hate you to"

You need to toughen up a bit get T shirts like Iowa used to have "We hate you to"

Would you feel the same way if Iowa had to travel to Missouri. Penn State had to travel to Stillwater. Ohio State had to travel to West Virginia. Rutgers had to travel to Wyoming?

Would it not be better if it were held in a central location where all teams traveled to compete?

The Big 10 gets to host every dual match. I hope I didn't read that correctly.

Concept was Big Ten hosts this year, Big Ten travels next year. That took care of facilities planning, etc. We are honored to host coach Smith and that cute 65-pound stud, and his teammates. Great venue and great fans. And we love us some coach Smith. We ARE, honored to be wrestling the Cowboys.

Reactions: chasepollard
Would you feel the same way if Iowa had to travel to Missouri. Penn State had to travel to Stillwater. Ohio State had to travel to West Virginia. Rutgers had to travel to Wyoming?

Would it not be better if it were held in a central location where all teams traveled to compete?
I loved the duals when they were all together in one location gone many times as to Iowa traveling to Missouri certainly wouldn't be a big deal.My guess is they are looking at what the turnout will be at Iowa,PSU etc..

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
I loved the duals when they were all together in one location gone many times as to Iowa traveling to Missouri certainly wouldn't be a big deal.My guess is they are looking at what the turnout will be at Iowa,PSU etc..

Just my $.02, but if they want to gain some momentum and start something great...don't rotate it. If it has to be rotated, rotate it neutrally. Of course there is going to be a good turnout...and lots of money changing hands. If they want to make hay while the sun shines, this is the way to do it. If they want to promote and build Wrestling, this is the way not to do it.

The best scenario is to let schools that may be on the chopping block host. Give them a needed shot in the arm financially, not provide proof that a Wrestling Program is unsustainable. In this current scenario, the burden of cost is on the traveling teams and the financial windfall is put to the hosts.

Just my $.02, but if they want to gain some momentum and start something great...don't rotate it. If it has to be rotated, rotate it neutrally. Of course there is going to be a good turnout...and lots of money changing hands. If they want to make hay while the sun shines, this is the way to do it. If they want to promote and build Wrestling, this is the way not to do it.

The best scenario is to let schools that may be on the chopping block host. Give them a needed shot in the arm financially, not provide proof that a Wrestling Program is unsustainable. In this current scenario, the burden of cost is on the traveling teams and the financial windfall is put to the hosts.
Not sure about a financial windfall as I do believe the NWCA has their hands out.

Yeah, I don't know the particulars there. But, Penn State, Ok State, Iowa, Ohio State, etc. are going to fill a venue much more than every other Program available. Does NWCA have ticket sales tied up too? What about the economy where this would be held? Hotels, food, booze, etc.? Just food for thought, I don't have any say-so...

Yeah, I don't know the particulars there. But, Penn State, Ok State, Iowa, Ohio State, etc. are going to fill a venue much more than every other Program available. Does NWCA have ticket sales tied up too? What about the economy where this would be held? Hotels, food, booze, etc.? Just food for thought, I don't have any say-so...
Why this is not being done with a little more thought is beyond me.Poorly planned.

Reactions: chasepollard
Why this is not being done with a little more thought is beyond me.Poorly planned.
Even if we had Crutchmer and Smith available we would not be favored in those two weights. However, if either or both are out for the Big 12 that will kill all chances of (albeit slim) of winning it this year. They both would probably place at Nationals and the backups will not. It is what it is and we just have to live with it.
LETS GO POKES!!!

My understanding is that Smith should be back by the Big 12, but from reading above no way Crutchmer will be back. The Flocast on Sunday had a shot of him wearing the boot and my heart sank as there is no way he can be back and in wrestling shape if he is not on the mat wrestling next week. Not competing at Penn State, but in the room.

I think Realbuto showed us he was.
No doubt in my mind Crutchmer is the best wrestler at the weight due to his strength and he beat Realbuto at the Southern Scuffle. Chandler Rogers is a lot more fun to watch but he is a 165 pounder and just not strong enough for 174 IMO.

Theres got to be a slight chance crutchmer comes back for conference tournament otherwise smith would have probably announced it right? There is no real benefit to withholding that info in wrestling is there?

Well, I guess there is a silver lining to his Wrestling style.

If he does come back, we don't really need to worry about his gas tank.

The Flocast on Sunday had a shot of him wearing the boot and my heart sank as there is no way he can be back and in wrestling shape if he is not on the mat wrestling next week.

I boot doesn't necessarily mean done, remember Mason, and they put everybody in a boot these days to completely isolate & speed up recovery. But also going to depend on how Chandler looks this weekend, so probably one upside to the PSU thing.

Theres got to be a slight chance crutchmer comes back for conference tournament otherwise smith would have probably announced it right? There is no real benefit to withholding that info in wrestling is there?
Crutchmer is through for this year. I do not say this because of anything John has said (Although he might make this announcement on his show tonight). This disheartening news was made known this past weekend at the Dual team state tournament. It was not official but it came from the coach of a Tulsa high school who would have "inside information". I hate it for Kyle and for Oklahoma State. It is time to fully back Chandler Rogers (Not that we have not) and realize that he is certainly a most capable backup and now starter. This is a real blow to our title hopes but I am certain that Chandler will do his best and that is good enough for me. On the positive side of he ledger he will gain valuable experience and confidence that will enhance his great expectations for 165 next year.

LETS GO POKES!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT