ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina

Poel_Jeer

Redshirt
Nov 9, 2015
I have been away for a couple of days, so I am just gonna do some quick predictions.

125: Klimara will most likely go against Szymanski and should be an easy last dual win with some bonus
Klimara tf Szymanki 17-2
133: Harding will also have an easier match and I felt that was the case last Sunday as well but left some points out on the mat. I hope he gets some more going today. Harding mdec Headlee 13-5
141: Heil might as well of just wrestled the top 20 in the nation and not worry about anyone else, he has been tested and succeeded. Heil knows he needs to pick his offense up, and I think he will. Heil dec Ward 10-6
149: This is a good opportunity for Collica to make some ripples. If he can beat Henderson, I think he will do well at NCAA's. I am gonna pick the upset here Collica dec Henderson 11-8
157: Most likely will not see Smith, so I am guessing that Blees will probly wrestle. Not sure who will go for UNC, I think it could go either way, but I'll give the win to the home team. Bless dec ? by 4 points.
165: Dieringer gonna do whatever to get bonus. Dieringer mdec Staudenmayer 13-4
174: Rogers is in the same boat as Collica, big chance here to make some noise, and I think he will blow GIA up with a major upset. But lets be honest, I don't think he will out wrestle Ramos, he will either win by fall or most likely lose this match... lets go for the fall. Rogers fall Ramos
184: Boyd should get back to his offense this week. Utley is no slouch and ranked, but that seems to get Boyd going. Boyd dec Utley 12-6
197: I bet we will see Marsden again for a last effort to see who will wrestle post season. A win against Ness will definitely make John's decision a lot harder. Marsden dec Ness 15-10
285: Not much to discuss here, Marsden will work on his last GIA appearance. Marsden mdec ? by10

So as I wrote it out, another shutout win for the Cowboys 40-0, but worst case would be a Rogers, Blees and Marsden(197) loss and that would be more like 28-9

Collica has been tearing it us since the Scuffle. This could be Anthony's coming out party as I expect him to be pretty high on the podium. All of Anthony's losses outside of Sorensen have been with him wrestling injured. Henderson is tough as nails, but I think Anthony can finish in the top four at the NCAA's. I know that Henderson is ranked #5.

My gut says this will be a better match than the rankings suggest.

Don't see Collica or Rogers winning and I doubt Heil scores 10 against Ward but should win comfortably.
I am going to put in my order for those ultra Orange glasses that Poel is wearing. I like his style but my head rather than my heart sees a loss for us at 149 but I think we can keep it close. I do not see Joe wrestling but I think we will pick up a win at 157. I do not see Chandler winning at 174 and I hope he can keep it close. Heil and Ward will be a good match which I see Dean winning by two takedowns and a riding point. Eddie will coast at 125. Headlee could be tough for Gary Wayne but I see us winning but not by bonus points. Alex, and Austin will dominate at their weights. Chip Ness is a little better than average but this is my upset prediction with either of our 197 pounders winning. That leaves Nolan and Alex Utley is a worthy opponent but the way Nolan has been wrestling I think we will win by 4-5 points. Anthony Collica is the key match tonight in my opinion and I believe he can keep Henderson to a very close decision. I see us losing at 157 and 174 and !49. Final score will be 26-9.

I am going to put in my order for those ultra Orange glasses that Poel is wearing. I like his style but my head rather than my heart sees a loss for us at 149 but I think we can keep it close. I do not see Joe wrestling but I think we will pick up a win at 157. I do not see Chandler winning at 174 and I hope he can keep it close. Heil and Ward will be a good match which I see Dean winning by two takedowns and a riding point. Eddie will coast at 125. Headlee could be tough for Gary Wayne but I see us winning but not by bonus points. Alex, and Austin will dominate at their weights. Chip Ness is a little better than average but this is my upset prediction with either of our 197 pounders winning. That leaves Nolan and Alex Utley is a worthy opponent but the way Nolan has been wrestling I think we will win by 4-5 points. Anthony Collica is the key match tonight in my opinion and I believe he can keep Henderson to a very close decision. I see us losing at 157 and 174 and !49. Final score will be 26-9.
Obe, you have 157 as a win and loss.

B Crutcher, E Klimara, A Marsden and A Dieringer honored before the match. Alex with the 5th best OSU winning percentage all time.

125 Line up change for NC. Cody Karns NR vs Eddie Klimara #7
Front headlock, go behind for Eddie TAKEDOWN! in the first 20 seconds . Eddie custs him loose. 2-1. Stalling backing out against Karns. of the edge restart. Eddie around the corner TAKEDOWN Eddie up 4-1. Eddie riding out the period.
Stalling on Karns 5-1 1:44 RT.
P2. Eiddie starts down but out quickly 6-1 High crotch TAKEDOWN 8-1 escape. and quickly in on a shot and Takedown. 10-2 Eddie with the leg turk and tilts him for 4 swipes 14-2 turns him again for 2. 16-2 and turns him again for 4 20--2 TECH FALL in the second period. Last match for Eddie in GIA.
Cowboys up 5-0

Last edited:
Reactions: poke sallet annie
133 LB James Szymanski NR GWH #20
P1, big scramble James comes out on top. TD 2-0 GWH up and out quickly 2-1
GWH in on a leg and works it into a TAKEDOWN. 3-2 off the mat they go. 1:51 to go.
GWH looking for some RT nearing the minute mark. and now over a minute.
GWH with boots in and ref stalemates it. 40 secs to go. off the edge. 28 seconds.
and the period ends with 2 minutes of RT. 3-2 lead for GWH.
P2. GWH down and out quickly and back on top for a TAKEDOWN 6-2 escape James 6-3 James with a leg and near a takedown but good hips by GWH and off the mat they go. 1 min left.
Gary with a leg. James whizzer but limp arm and TAKEDOWN and escape 8-4
Each with a leg now and stalemate. GWH with a quick TD off the whistle 1-4 2:24 RT. period ends.
P3 James escapes 10-5 James on a shot, GWH over the top. but stalemate. GWH quick TD on the go behind. and escape. 12-6 James backs off the mat. stalling again. 13.-6 questionable call there. James with another leg and stalemate. 17 second to go. James with another leg. cant seem to finish anything. and period ends with riding time. 14-6 major decision.
cowboys up 9-0

Last edited:
141 Joey Ward # 9 vs Dean Heil #1
p1. Joey with a shot but Dean fights it off. 2 minutes to go. Heil with a high crotch and now a big scramble. each fighting for height and grabbing an ankle. stalemate. 30 seconds to go. Joey proves to be an equally great scrambler. Period ends no score
P2. Heil takes down. Heil grabs a leg and off the edge no change. Looked like Dean nearly had a TD. but no. 27 seconds of RT for Joey. Sure looked like one to me. Video challenge by John. Restart.
and now escape for Dean. John burned his challenge. 0-1 1 minute to go.
Each exchange shots but blocked off. Period ends 0-1 Joey with 32 seconds of RT.
P3. Joey out quickly after 12 seconds. 1-1 exchange of shots. tough tight match here. 1 minute to go. Joey with a shot and nearly a TD. Dean coming up 2 seconds but buzzer sounds end of match 1-1.
SV1 oh crap Joey with a inside trip and takedown. There was no chance for Dean to scramble out.. No leg to grab and couldn't get back.
3-9 cowboys.

Last edited:
149 evan Henderson 5 vs Collica 20
p1. Quick TD for Evan. escape. 2-1 shots exchanged. High pace match. Collica on a sweep single. Collica not improving and ref stalemates it.
Crowd still bummed about the Heil match and now losing this one. 1 minute to go. Collica with a single leg and grabs the other leg Takedown. 3-2 Henderson with the escape with 10 seconds to go. ouch. period ends. 3-3
P2. Collica takes bottom. collica stand up and turns into him and takes him down. 5-3 getting riding time up to 37 seconds. off the mat ...restart. and Evan out. 5-4 Evan with a headlock and ref stalemates in. Evan with a deep shot Collica trying to move around but the his leg is trapped and the ref stalemates it 33 seconds to go. Collica with a shot and evan blocks it off Evan with a leg but time runs out. Collica 5-4 39 seconds of RT.
p3. Evan takes bottom. Anthony with a blood time out. restart and collica with 46 seconds RT. RT now over a minute. Collica with a cradle getting backs. and the FALL OMG
wow 4th in a row. # 5 goes down with a near side cradle. big marque win and AC should skyrocket up the rankings. Look at who is ranked ahead of him. Unlike Heil who has had to face stud after stud, AC just hasn't had many top 20 guys on his schedule. And now he makes the most of this opportunity.
15-3 cowboys

Last edited:
157 Robert Henderson NR vs Blees NR
P1. Henderson with a TD on the edge. 2-0 off the mat they go Blees giving up the 45 seconds of ride time. now Blees out. 2-1 Blees on a shot. and Henderson gets the stalemate. 50 seconds of RT for Henderson at the end of Period.
P2. Blees takes bottom. now the minute of RT and climbing. stalemate with 1:30 to go. Blees now up and out quickly. 2-2. Blees with an ankle pick and takedown. 4-2 and RT moving back under a minute. On the edge and escape for Henderson after some rolling around. Henderson on a ankle and Blees gets the hips back stalemate. Blees on a leg. and Blees limp arms out and covers the hips TAKEDOWN. 6-3
p3. Blees on top. RT moving down. More rolling around as BLees look for backs but not getting it. Blees got an arm on the back. Riding tough. Arm bars him driving him but ref stale mates it. bad call. John upset. Blees just doesn't look like he knows what to do with an arm.
Now Henderson reverses him and cradles blees up but lets go of it as time runs out. Blees Hendersson with RT of only 30 seconds so Blees wins 5-4 nice win.
Cowboys up. 18-3

165 Alex D #1 vs John Staudenmayer #11.
P1. Shot by alex blocked off. Not much action half way thru no score. Another shot by alex. Alex cautious. Alex moving slowly. Period ends no score. Hmmm.
p2. Alex starts down up and out in 5 seconds. 1-0 Both just tying up and Alex with a TD and a quick 2 pt back exposure. 4-0
Alex got the arm on the back now getting 4 swipes. 9-0 off the mat restart. 9 secs left. caution on alex on the restart. period ends 1:24 RT. 9-0 nice period for alex aftter a slow start.
p.3 caution #2 on alex. ALex lets him out. 9-1 Now alex moving well. stall call backing off on John S. 47 secs to go. Alex cutting John S off the mat another stall call. 10-1. John S. grabs a leg and off the edge they go with 4 seconds to go end of match 11-1 with 1:46 RT. Nice hand for Alex as alex walks off the match one last time. best wishes Alex in March. We Love ya.
Cowboys up 22-3

Last edited:
174 Chandler Rogers vs #2 Ethan Ramos.
P1. Rogers locks him up and takes him to his back getting swipes. and now Ramos gets the reverse. and off the mat they go . 6-2 chandler. wow he locked up the double overs. nice start for Chandler. Refs reviewing for possible backpoints against Chandler during the reversal. and no change on the call. 6-2 confirmed. Chandler up and out. now chandler nearly had him on his back again but Ramos gets out with no control 7-2 Off the edge. 1 minute left. chandler throwing shot after shot. 30 seconds left. Ramos with a shot. Rogers chestwrap. stalemate. 16 seconds to go. Ramos backs off the mat stall call as the period ends. 7-2 RT at 12 seconds.

P2.. Chandler on bottom and out quickly. 8-2. ramos with a TD 8-4. Ramos riding tough. Now chandler up and reverses 10-4 Rogers riding with 20 secs to go. and 10-4 at the end of 2. wow.

P3. Ramos on bottom Chandler gets 2 backs and now reversed. Folks you can not describe that move Rogers just did. 12-6 wow. Rogers on bottom but moving well now out. 13-6 1 takedown from a major. ramos with a leg. Rogers fighting now gets the leg away. and Rogers with a leg but Ramos gets the Td on the scramble. and that's the match ROGERS BEATS #2 13-8 wow. Not bad for a redshirt freshman! Crutchmer WHO??? so much action for Chandler. You have to see his matches on Flo because its impossible to describe how he does it. Non Stop offense in your face.
Good guys up 25-3

Last edited:
184 lb. Nolan Boyd Jedi Knight. #12 vs Utley.#20
p1. Boyd in immediately on a leg. Moves up TD. 2-0 Off the edge. escape Utley. 2-1
Boyd on a shot on the and traps the other foot. TAKEDOWN BOYD. 4-1 .
Boyd riding tough. RT over a minute. on the edge and off the mat they go. restart. 1 to go.
Utley up and off the edge. Utley up again and off the mat stalling on Boyd. Not sure about that.
Escape Utley and quickly gets a TD on a re attack. escape Boyd. 5-4 1:43 RT Boyd.

P2. Boyd takes down and out quickly. 6-4. Handfighting. Boyd controlling center of the mat. Boyd keeps pushing him to the edge. they exchange shots Utley with a leg on theedge and Boyd gets the hips back, post the head and goes around for the takedown on the edge. 8-4 RT over 2 minutes and the period ends RT at 2:16
P3. Boyd on top. Utley up but nice mat return. and off the edge. Stalling on Boyd for taking him out of bounds. Booos. 8-5 Smith not happy. Now escape Utley 8-6.
off the edge stalling on Utley on the edge. 9-6 geez didn't look like stalling. Utley with a leg and Boyd rolls out of it before giving up control 25 seconds left. Boyd on a high crotch. Utley over the top but cant finish 10-6 with 2:45 RT. Another nice win over a ranked wrestler for Boyd. Hes showing some consistency.
28 - 3 Pokes. wow.

Last edited:
Dean looks pissed on the bench. He's going to come back better after that loss. Guaranteed.

197 Preston Weigel NR vs Chip Ness NR
North Carolina with 1 win in this match. Unfortunately Heil gives up that win in OT. :(
P1. Lots of hand fighting. darn slow action compared to all of the previous matches.
30 seconds to go. Now 20 10 Shot from Ness no. end of period. No score. 2 shots by Ness and that's it.
P2. Preston on top. Not sure why you would take bottom. Coleman should know better. 1 minute of riding. Locked hands on Preston. Oh geez. 0-1 40 seconds to go. Ness elevates a leg and out but PReston has a ankle. stalling on Preston restart. 18 seconds left. caution on PW. geez. 1:40 RT.
10 secs 5 and PW retains control and 2 minutes of RT.
P3. PW on bottom . caution on Ness. PW up and away in 5 secs. wow.
1-1 but PW with a 1:55 RT Ness with a leg and gets the TD. 1-3. PW out. still with RT.
Ness with another leg. and Ness gets the TD 2-5. with 20 secs left. match ends 3-5
28-6 Pokes

Last edited:
Inconsistently applied.....
I like them & don't see that much inconsistencie. eg by rules you can't run someone out, Boyd was not "stalling" ran him out, by rule is called stalling the point system.

You don't have to be out to be called for stalling, Utley was stall on the edge, didn't have to go over the line to be called.

You can be the more aggressive & still get call for stalling by circling out or push/run out. I dont know if bot calls on AD last week we're correct, but one of them definitely was.

285 # 5 Marsden 264 lb vs NR Cory Gilliland-Daniel 244 lb. but taller.
P.1 quick double leg runs through Cory. Takedown. 2-0
Austin with a minute of RT and counting
Marsden rolls him and gets 4 swipes. 6-0 1 minute to go.
Trying to pull the arm out again. stall warning on Cory. Period ends 6-0 2:36 RT.
P2. Marsden takes bottom. Marsden up and away quickly 7-0 then underhook throwby and single leg TD. 9-0 now riding tough RT over 3:30
off the edge restart. 49 seconds left. RT over 4 min. Marsden got a wrist and tilts him picking up 4 more backs. 13-0 4:26 RT.
P3 . Cory on bottom. Marsden looking for more swipes. Roll through nothing. Trying to control the wrist. Stalling on Cory 14-0 lets him up. 14-1 cory with a leg shot and Marsden gets the foot down. Not sure why he let him up. Needs a TD and now gets the go behind TD 16-1 TECH FALL!!! in about 6:40.
Pokes win 33-6 lots of fun upsets except Heils.
On to Happy Valley.
And that's all folks!

Last edited:
I like them & don't see that much inconsistencie. eg by rules you can't run someone out, Boyd was not "stalling" ran him out, by rule is called stalling the point system.

You don't have to be out to be called for stalling, Utley was stall on the edge, didn't have to go over the line to be called.

You can be the more aggressive & still get call for stalling by circling out or push/run out. I dont know if bot calls on AD last week we're correct, but one of them definitely was.
I get that it's easy to agree with those calls when they're going our way, but if the calls were reversed, we'd be singing a different tune. The ref can call action when they go out....he doesn't have to call stalling every time. I just think the application of that call is so inconsistent that it'll come back to bite us, or somebody else, in March and that's too bad.

I am very happy for Collica and Rogers, great wins. Collica has to be careful not to look too much for the cradle but when he hooks it up it has been match over. Klimara, Marsden had great last matches. I have been concerned with Dearinger seemingly struggle getting takedowns in quite a few matches like no takedowns in the first period and no real good shots either. To me if I was going to guess he might be struggling more than last year making weight. My expectations for Dieringer of course are very high based on his past. Boyd continues to win but his last couple of wins , I don't think have built momentum for him. Heil doesn't seem to make good leg shots for a long time which finally caught up to him. He needs to get more offensive. Harding was workman like but I thought he got sloppy. Blees has not developed a lick since high school. I don't know the reason. Weigel couldn't shoot a take down and score for his life and last couple matches has not been able to defend the other guys shot either. It seems like Marsden has more potential but he is pretty inconsistent also. Some very good matches, some average matches and some poor matches. Sunday will be very important and we need more consistency and more scoring to compete with Pen. St at Nationals.

But its OSU that keeps pushing the action and 90 % of the time the call will be going our way. It obviously a conscious effort that our guys are pushing the action and controlling the mat. Its a change from prior years and I like it. It has helped far more than hurt. Our wrestlers have the superior talent and this is another way to leverage that.

Dean did not take that loss well. Its his first of the year and he forgot how to lose. If anybody can learn from it though it will be Dean and he will go back to work tomorrow to get better. He still keeps the #1 ranking on account of his strength of schedule and wins. He was so close to getting a TD in the first on a big scramble where he is so good. Not worried about DH.

I am worried about 197. Both have looked good at times but PW has a weakness. His foot has been nailed to the mat and opponents are taking advantage of it. PW will adjust in the years to come Im sure. He is still a great talent as a RS Freshman. I think we go with Andrew at 197 from here out. There's more upside but frankly I don't think either will be a factor in NYC. Either probably gets a bad draw in the first round and has to fight through the bottom bracket. And I ll take Andrew to maybe put some Falls on the board. Going to be fun to watch both develop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT