ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina

I am worried about 197. Both have looked good at times but PW has a weakness. His foot has been nailed to the mat and opponents are taking advantage of it. PW will adjust in the years to come Im sure. He is still a great talent as a RS Freshman. I think we go with Andrew at 197 from here out. There's more upside but frankly I don't think either will be a factor in NYC. Either probably gets a bad draw in the first round and has to fight through the bottom bracket. And I ll take Andrew to maybe put some Falls on the board. Going to be fun to watch both develop.
I agree on this weight. If PW could develop some movement and neutral O he could be dangerous. AM is the best option for post season.

I am very happy for Collica and Rogers, great wins. Collica has to be careful not to look too much for the cradle but when he hooks it up it has been match over. Klimara, Marsden had great last matches. I have been concerned with Dearinger seemingly struggle getting takedowns in quite a few matches like no takedowns in the first period and no real good shots either. To me if I was going to guess he might be struggling more than last year making weight. My expectations for Dieringer of course are very high based on his past. Boyd continues to win but his last couple of wins , I don't think have built momentum for him. Heil doesn't seem to make good leg shots for a long time which finally caught up to him. He needs to get more offensive. Harding was workman like but I thought he got sloppy. Blees has not developed a lick since high school. I don't know the reason. Weigel couldn't shoot a take down and score for his life and last couple matches has not been able to defend the other guys shot either. It seems like Marsden has more potential but he is pretty inconsistent also. Some very good matches, some average matches and some poor matches. Sunday will be very important and we need more consistency and more scoring to compete with Pen. St at Nationals.
Well...I'm not sure what might make you happy. I was so excited about this night!! Other than Heil it was great. That might even turn into a positive. Please enjoy it!

Reactions: osu2082 and oberebo
Very excited about collica and Rogers. Not worried about DH either. We have been waiting for a breakthrough win for collica and he finally gets it. His reward....#1 wrestler in the country. Rogers a big win to boost his confidence after a terrible outing against Cornell. His reward....#1 wrestler in the country. At least they are wrestling well and confidence high.

Well, it was a close match.;)
Harley, I thought we wrestled lights out at every weight even Heil. He all but had the takedown in the 2nd period and only Ward grabbing his hand and holding on for dear life prevented it.Ward hit a great inside trip in overtime. I am not concerned about Dean. As far as your comment on Collica being careful about the cradle I do not understand at all. He has not used it that much this year and every time he has he has gotten a fall. Nolan Boyd beat a very good and extremely strong wrestler so very happy there. Chandler Rogers is exciting every match and was just too quick for Ramos. Again, next year at 165 he will be a killer. Only match that disappointed me was 197. We are strong but I have yet to see even an attempt at a takedown. Would rather see Marsden there not that it will make any difference Sunday. I was pumped with this victory and the Seniors went out in a blaze of Glory.

LETS GO POKES!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
For those that missed the exhibition match between Andrew Marsden and Scott Marmoll (3-4 before tonight), Andrew was far from dominant. He scored a 6 point move in the first period, Marmoll scored a 6 point move in the second (may have been third) before they went to sudden victory tied 7-7. Andrew was able to get the pin in SV, so that is a plus. Andrew is exciting, but inconsistent. Weigel is consistent, but I'd rather watch paint dry. I agree that neither is a significant factor at NCAAs, but I'd prefer to see Marsden due to his bonus point potential. Of course, one of them hast to qualify first.

In the other matches, Collica definitely made a statement tonight and hopefully he can be competitive on Sunday. Moving into the top 8 would be great for seeding purposes. Dean Heil has been living on the edge and tonight it caught up to him. He seems to be a real student of the game and I think this helps him in the long run. Alex seems to be struggling a bit, if you can call it that. People have learned to stay away from his underhooks, so he is having to resort to other strategies to score his takedowns and he just doesn't seem real comfortable with that. Chandler made a statement as well. Quite frankly, I didn't think he could stay with Ramos physically, but he proved me wrong. He looks undersized for the weight, so we will see what happens next year.

I like where this team is at right now (except for the injuries to Brock, Smith and Crutchmer) and I expect at least 6 Big 12 champs, with 8 being a very real possibility.

Reactions: oberebo
Man....the boys looked great last night! Seem to be peaking at the right time. I think 74 is a done deal now. Let's get Jo healthy and decide on 97 and I think we are contending against anyone. Hopefully they will keep that intensity level on Monday!

Harley, I thought we wrestled lights out at every weight even Heil. He all but had the takedown in the 2nd period and only Ward grabbing his hand and holding on for dear life prevented it.Ward hit a great inside trip in overtime. I am not concerned about Dean. As far as your comment on Collica being careful about the cradle I do not understand at all. He has not used it that much this year and every time he has he has gotten a fall. Nolan Boyd beat a very good and extremely strong wrestler so very happy there. Chandler Rogers is exciting every match and was just too quick for Ramos. Again, next year at 165 he will be a killer. Only match that disappointed me was 197. We are strong but I have yet to see even an attempt at a takedown. Would rather see Marsden there not that it will make any difference Sunday. I was pumped with this victory and the Seniors went out in a blaze of Glory.

LETS GO POKES!!!
I thought we wrestled well but not at 35 level which has to be our goal. With Collica I watched the match again and I felt it only happened once at the end of the first period where he gave away an escape looking for a cradle. The first time I watched the match I thought this occurred a couple of time but it didn't. His cradle has been a great weapon and so I over reacted to this. I think Heil has had a marvelous year but his matches are very close and he seems to have gotten more conservative as the year goes on. I think he needs to be thinking more separation and committing to shots more. People complain about Crutchmer because this has cost him more but the same could happen to Heil although Heil's defense is better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT