ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA

I have read this week that some are giddy how we over performed and we are sitting in third - third. Says a lot.

Only thing that matters to me is the team title. Individual titles are great but it is about the team.

Would love to have seen Fix win, but maybe if he was wrestling for a team title, and wrestled for a more feared program which also means more confidence and swag, that might be enough of an edge to have won. How much value is it psychologically to know you are wrestling for the best program? I don’t blame Fix for losing, I blame the lack of commitment in the wrestling program to win. Wrestling against that PSU singlet mentally is tough, that use to be OSU.

When I look at the orange singlet, it signifies the 3rd to 6th best program in the nation based on a little more than the past decade. Second best conference that has fallen far behind the BIG.

This program has been so far from competing at the top for so long and we lacked the leadership within the AD department and HC position to navigate the changing landscape and keep us on top. Only way that happens if the bar for excellence was slowly lowered and internally we knew we were no longer the top program. Feels like surrender to me.

Reminds me of what happened with baseball, we had it going big and then abandoned it. It hurt watching our wrestling program and baseball program sacrificed at the altar of the revenue sports. Guess it was needed, but it is so hard to get back on top. You also now have fan apathy that sinks in, that leads to in my opinion excuses, acceptance, and a feeling of helplessness. It leads to division in terms of what needs to be done and protecting sacred cows and old notions. Our history now hurts us because we think history alone gets us back.

We have a nice wrestling program that has the most NC’s ever, we are no longer a blue blood in the sport in a present tense, we have the history of one, but evidently we lack the resources, the commitment, conference affiliation, recruiting, and at some point admitting what we are doing no longer works and drastic changes need to be made, and quickly. OSU should say screw the Big 12, and try to get in the BIG. And put up the financial resources to go win it all, the program deserves that.

Some have talked about some changes that have been made. I hope they were made in time.

Anytime a BIG team is expected to win it, you can pretty much take it to the bank we are not winning a NC.

It pains me to see the winningest program in all of North America, be it college or pro to fall to this level. We now seek individual titles, not a team title. We needed Fix wrestling for first place team title, not to be 2nd.

If I ever win the lottery the programs at OSU that needs it the most is Wrestling and Softball. Softball with a push could win it all. Wrestling needs a remodel.

Yes, I am very frustrated that yet again, we took a sport that we were feared in and truly expected to win NC’s, to saying wait until next year, yet again. I don’t blame the wrestlers, I blame the slow boil of mediocrity that is now accepted. At some point maybe we finally get tired of being the BIG’s biotch and do something significant to change our path. Of course that takes money and perhaps the cost of competing at the highest level is out of our reach and hence the complacency and acceptance of our lot in life. If we stay in the Big 12 maybe we can stay the best team in the Big 12. Times have changed.

Last edited:
Sounds like Desanto’s antics finally caught up to him. Will not be allowed to participate in the medal ceremonies after being a dick to officials this afternoon.

Tom Brands
“Austin DeSanto will not participate in the NCAA Parade of All-Americans or medal stand ceremony Saturday night. DeSanto behaved inappropriately toward NCAA media officials while exiting the mat this afternoon and after consulting with the NCAA Wrestling Committee and our administration, we have made an institutional decision to withhold him from tonight’s activities.”

Austin DeSanto
“My behavior toward the NCAA media officials prior to the post-match interview was wrong and I owe all those involved a sincere apology. My language and behavior was inappropriate and inexcusable. I have spoken with Tom and I understand and agree with the decision.”

PSU with 6 freshmen in lineup.they will be tough along with Iowa.do we need to recruit more athletic guys who are black?

Ed Ruth,RBY,Carter,mark hall,Kerkvliet,Aaron brooks.all studs

PSU with 6 freshmen in lineup.they will be tough along with Iowa.do we need to recruit more athletic guys who are black?

My optimism from yesterday is wrecked. It is clear that wrestling is Penn. St's world. 3 Champions and their best wrestler coming up. Earlier I said maybe we can win next year. Penn. St will come back next year with 4 champions. There is something missing in our leadership but the truth is rarely will anyone beat Cael with administrative support. Everyone in wrestling is looking at Penn St as the place to be including Blue Chip recruits. Penn St has lots of fantastic young wrestlers who have unbelievable confidence. Maybe I was right to root for Iowa this year. A rarity Penn St does not win a team Championship. Hopefully we can have a little piece of feeling good with Ferrari.

We've recruited those guys...we just have a hard time landing them. This new generation prefers Cael's style over John Smiths as it seems. Whether it's black or white...we do need to recruit more athletic guys period.

I’m glad I don’t work for some of you guys. Up and down like a roller coaster. We went into this evening tied with Penn St.

Our 141 pounder was lost to injury.
Our 174 pounder was wrestling with a bum arm.

Iron sharpens iron and I feel good that with Fix and Ferrari’s work ethic that it will rub off.

Biggest statement that AJ made for me was “you only live once, you gotta go for it”. That is what we are missing in our program now. We have to many wrestlers who are not willing to go for it when they are on the mat.

Pokes almost put up 100 team points with:
3 true freshmen. One with a bum shoulder.
A 33 seed wrestling on one leg.
A 30 seed HWT
No entry at 141
A 4 seed 149 with more surgeries than NCAA tournaments.
A 165 pounder in his first NCAA tournament.
A 184 pounder that looks like a world beater at times and sometimes makes you scratch your head.
A 133 pounder that has dealt with a ton of adversity this season.
I’d love to be bringing home the team title, but I feel good about the future.

My optimism from yesterday is wrecked. It is clear that wrestling is Penn. St's world. 3 Champions and their best wrestler coming up. Earlier I said maybe we can win next year. Penn. St will come back next year with 4 champions. There is something missing in our leadership but the truth is rarely will anyone beat Cael with administrative support. Everyone in wrestling is looking at Penn St as the place to be including Blue Chip recruits. Penn St has lots of fantastic young wrestlers who have unbelievable confidence. Maybe I was right to root for Iowa this year. A rarity Penn St does not win a team Championship. Hopefully we can have a little piece of feeling good with Ferrari.
We did get 1 National Champ. Way to go AJ along with Daton, Boo, Wyatt, Travis, and Dakota.

Proud of how the team wrestled. At the beginning of the year I thought getting a trophy would be a tall task. They ended the year about the best that they could and that's all you can ask for

Reactions: JAY45
Pokes almost put up 100 team points with:
3 true freshmen. One with a bum shoulder.
A 33 seed wrestling on one leg.
A 30 seed HWT
No entry at 141
A 4 seed 149 with more surgeries than NCAA tournaments.
A 165 pounder in his first NCAA tournament.
A 184 pounder that looks like a world beater at times and sometimes makes you scratch your head.
A 133 pounder that has dealt with a ton of adversity this season.
I’d love to be bringing home the team title, but I feel good about the future.

don't bring the rational to this board...the sky is falling because Fix took an L and the perception is he isn't developing

Whatever the equation moving forward, Surber needs to be worked into the lineup.

If AJ bulks up, you have to feel good about Surber at 197.

Whatever the equation moving forward, Surber needs to be worked into the lineup.

If AJ bulks up, you have to feel good about Surber at 197.
What class is Stevenson in?

question is Surber a national contender at 197?
Ferrari needs to stay at 197. Hwt has a bunch of monsters right now. AJ would be a monster also but he would definitely be an underdog to Paris and Gable might be the best HWT in the world. Surber did wrestle Buchanon in the semi's of the Cowboy Challenge and medically forfeited at 5 minutes of the match. I don't remember the score at the time but I remember him being taken down regularly. Buchanon took 8th at Nationals. Surber is a good prospect but Ferrari needs to stay at 197 next year. Although if the cut is really hard for him now maybe?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT