ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA PORTAL

@AtownPoke: I appreciate your appreciation for culture. I get it. It just doesn’t seem like something we have to worry about. These guys are going to create a fantastic culture. Likely even better than what we’ve become accustomed to. They aren’t going to jeopardize that.
lol that’s what I’m betting on. I want it bad

That’s just untrue. Are we in this to chase 2nd next year or are we in this to win championships. This isn’t an established PSU program and Cael has been very very picky on transfers. Every decision DT makes right now will have a major impact on the culture.
Cael 1st or 2nd year took an Iowa St. kid that was a really questionable transfer because of trouble he got into ( got kicked out of Iowa St). I think that transfer helped Cael win his first team championship than the kid got into trouble again.

Not to derail the thread…

The timing of all of this seems to fit…

Supposedly Amine recommitted to Michigan b/c there wasn’t the NIL $ he was looking for on the market.

Then, Alirez recommits to UNCO.

Now, it sounds like Amine could be headed to OSU.

Guessing what ever money was earmarked for Alirez became available for Amine.

Not to derail the thread…

The timing of all of this seems to fit…

Supposedly Amine recommitted to Michigan b/c there wasn’t the NIL $ he was looking for on the market.

Then, Alirez recommits to UNCO.

Now, it sounds like Amine could be headed back to OSU.

Guessing what ever money was earmarked for Alirez became available for Amine.
Not to continue derailing the thread but if we pay Amine anywhere close to Alirez money then I’ll vomit

It’s another good guy in the room. 3x AA’s aren’t a dime a dozen. It’s gonna be an interesting year because coming in 2nd would be great because if it happens then that means this staff was able to get more blood out of some turnips.

I expect Plott and WH to get 40 points between the two of them. After that we have quite a few guys that are either completely unknowns (from a NCAA wrestling tournament standpoint, CC & CH) guys that have some skins on the wall but recently underperformed (DH & CA) and then others who have dipped their toes in the water with varying levels of minor success/disappointment (TS, TJ, JW, TT, CY). If the new staff is able to find another 40-50 points that's going to be the thing that sells recruits on what direction the program is heading.

I think CC and CH have a chance to make AA as freshmen but being AA is never easy nor guaranteed. Both weights have some talent returning for sure. Let's say between the two of them we get another 14 points. Now we need another 36 points. Can TS get us 10 points, what about DH and CA? If we can get the last two back to AA status?

We get 3 to 6 AA's then that's a successful season based on where we've been that last couple of years and how many returning 2023 AA's we have on the team.

Establishing a culture will take more than one year and one transfer is not going to derail anything (unless your last name is Ferrari).

It’s another good guy in the room. 3x AA’s aren’t a dime a dozen. It’s gonna be an interesting year because coming in 2nd would be great because if it happens then that means this staff was able to get more blood out of some turnips.

I expect Plott and WH to get 40 points between the two of them. After that we have quite a few guys that are either completely unknowns (from a NCAA wrestling tournament standpoint, CC & CH) guys that have some skins on the wall but recently underperformed (DH & CA) and then others who have dipped their toes in the water with varying levels of minor success/disappointment (TS, TJ, JW, TT, CY). If the new staff is able to find another 40-50 points that's going to be the thing that sells recruits on what direction the program is heading.

I think CC and CH have a chance to make AA as freshmen but being AA is never easy nor guaranteed. Both weights have some talent returning for sure. Let's say between the two of them we get another 14 points. Now we need another 36 points. Can TS get us 10 points, what about DH and CA? If we can get the last two back to AA status?

We get 3 to 6 AA's then that's a successful season based on where we've been that last couple of years and how many returning 2023 AA's we have on the team.

Establishing a culture will take more than one year and one transfer is not going to derail anything (unless your last name is Ferrari).
When a guy like Amine gets 4th twice he has finals upside. It’s in his blood maybe Taylor can bring it out of him.

If we only get 3 or 4 All Americans I think it would be a very disappointing season 5 or 6 All Americans would indicate we are on a better road. I'm with several other posters, 10 All Americans. Realistically 7 would be fantastic. Spratley, Hughes, Amine, Hamiti, Plott, Carroll, and Hendrickson would not be any real surprise All Americans. Jamison, Williams and Fish have chances. Of course injuries change everything. Also, Hughes could wrestle Little Rocks 3rd place finisher at 20 and unders.

For the love of all that’s holy please go watch his match with MM

Dude is everything we’ve hated about OSU wrestling over the past decade

I get he’s won matches. I’ve never argued that.
I don’t disagree, but there are a lot of ways to win. AND unfortunately a wrestler with A+ defense isn’t appreciated like the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens, but he should be.

Messenbrink almost broke David Carr in the National finals. I don't think Carr could have held on for 1 more minute. It shocked me.

If we only get 3 or 4 All Americans I think it would be a very disappointing season 5 or 6 All Americans would indicate we are on a better road. I'm with several other posters, 10 All Americans. Realistically 7 would be fantastic. Spratley, Hughes, Amine, Hamiti, Plott, Carroll, and Hendrickson would not be any real surprise All Americans. Jamison, Williams and Fish have chances. Of course injuries change everything. Also, Hughes could wrestle Little Rocks 3rd place finisher at 20 and unders.
Another point is that according to Willie and Feller… the success rate of one year rental, AA transfers, has been abysmal

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
We’ve been trying to figure out 157 and 165 due to no obvious AA’s at those two weights. They’re just bringing in competition to fill those spots. Amine is a very defensive wrestler, but maybe he views this as a chance at a new approach? Dude is money at the NCAAs tho..

He is BORING! Yeah, he does win but I could see DT pulling his hair out and yelling, “SHOOT”!
We rip on our CD for the same reason, he even has an excuse, he’s a heavy weight. I like to see action and taking chances.

Is it plausible that we RS everyone we can and make a serious run?

RS Fish, Hamiti, Plott and someone else…let some youngens get wet fins and we win it in year 2?

DT ain’t running at 2nd, that’s a fact! Plug in some of these transfer and solid room guys to have a season we’re used to and then blow the doors off?

There is a play here!

RS Fish, Hamiti, Plott and someone else…let some youngens get wet fins and we win it in year 2?

DT ain’t running at 2nd, that’s a fact! Plug in some of these transfer and solid room guys to have a season we’re used to and then blow the doors off?

There is a play here!
I sure hope. I can’t wait to whip some Nittany a$$. Sorry @Pennstate1985

There is a play here!
We're going to have some holes in 25 for sure and it would ease the pain a little if a couple guys took a redshirt next year. We're not going to win a title in 25, but maybe in 26,I haven't crunched the numbers, but we'll have a shot. 2025 could change big time of we can flip Duke and get Blaze to go along with Lockett.

I don’t disagree, but there are a lot of ways to win. AND unfortunately a wrestler with A+ defense isn’t appreciated like the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens, but he should be.
As a past defensive counter wrestler it’s greatly under appreciated. I beat a guy that tech falled everyone else in the bracket 2-0 in the finals one time. Guy was beyond frustrated. A great counter defensive wrestler can frustrate and beat much more talented wrestlers.

As a past defensive counter wrestler it’s greatly under appreciated. I beat a guy that tech falled everyone else in the bracket 2-0 in the finals one time. Guy was beyond frustrated. A great counter defensive wrestler can frustrate and beat much more offensive wrestlers.
Changed a word in your post. That's Hamiti. He countered Mesenbrink to death before gassing.

As a past defensive counter wrestler it’s greatly under appreciated. I beat a guy that tech falled everyone else in the bracket 2-0 in the finals one time. Guy was beyond frustrated. A great counter defensive wrestler can frustrate and beat much more talented wrestlers.
So once again… I’m not in full disagreeance. At least in recent (last year) terms that’s just not what we’re talking about though. I have great appreciation for anyone who is actually trying to do something.

But in regard to Hamiti and Amine.… one guy had MM on the ropes and gassed… the other ran for his life and was one stall away from a DQ.

There is a play here!
That’s what Cael did

We're going to have some holes in 25 for sure and it would ease the pain a little if a couple guys took a redshirt next year. We're not going to win a title in 25, but maybe in 26,I haven't crunched the numbers, but we'll have a shot. 2025 could change big time of we can flip Duke and get Blaze to go along with Lockett.
Duke and Blaze👍🏻 You don’t need an entire team of studs, you just need some better studs than the other team

I know that people on this board are skeptical on Hamiti and Fish, but when we wrestled against these guys, these are the two guys I wished we had on our team.
I’m not seeing much skepticism on Hamiti…in fact; pleasantly surprised by this Top 2 talk.

Fish, maybe; my view is (not to detail the thread & not that anyone cares): Amine > Fish.

Although, thrilled to have Fish and excited to see him with elite coaching.

I’m not seeing much skepticism on Hamiti…in fact; pleasantly surprised by this Top 2 talk.

Fish, maybe; my view is (not to detail the thread & not that anyone cares): Amine > Fish.

Although, thrilled to have Fish and excited to see him with elite coaching.
Are Fish or Amine capable of getting to 157? Not sure Fish could beat out Travis anyways.

Reactions: driad and AtownPoke
Are Fish or Amine capable of getting to 157? Not sure Fish could beat out Travis anyways.
Not pulling that hard. After I thought more about it yesterday that’s exactly where I ended up. Teague will have had another year to fill out and get stronger in 57. I just can’t see Fish pulling that hard and beating him

Not pulling that hard. After I thought more about it yesterday that’s exactly where I ended up. Teague will have had another year to fill out and get stronger in 57. I just can’t see Fish pulling that hard and beating him
Agreed. I think Fish goes 165 or if Amine is here has to redshirt. Fish may be a casualty of he came in with a different coach honestly. Time will tell.

If we have already given Fish NIL $ then Amine prob won’t get much from us if he comes. The guy is at Mich where the NIL $ flows like wine. If he chooses to come here I feel it won’t be because of the money, it’ll be bc he thinks this place gives him the best chance to win a title.

Howdy gentleman..... just catching up. @AtownPoke I get exactly what youre saying. However lets not confuse culture w/ style. David Taylor has a philosophy of scoring points and having fun. Thats not going to happen overnight. And yes, Amine's style is not a high scoring one. But as far as culture, does Amine live it? Does he work hard? Does he set the right kind of example in those two areas 365 days a year for the younger guys on the team? Idk but that's culture my friend.

As far as some other things recently in the thread, I have different thoughts about winning vs culture. Imo the right culture leads to winning, not the other way around. For example, Iowa could put AJ in the line up and it will likely lead to more wins, but is that good for culture? I think we all know the answer is HELL NO.

As far as having so many transfers come in (if we add Amine) it is what it is. One good thing about it is having tough savvy veterans in the room for the young guys to learn from. And I read where @AtownPoke said keep Amine away from Thompson which I thought was funny lol. Got news for you man, the reality is that Amine is WAYYYY more offensive than BT (and that's saying something) and a winner.

I look forward to the days when we are challenging for natty championships with mainly guys we recruited. That'll take awhile so best we can do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

Fartz out ✌️

I think my biggest concern with Amine is something ATown brought up about guys who transfer in for one year underwhelming. Amine didn't have a great year last year and sometimes guys who have wrestled as much as him just kind of lose it.

That being said, I just don't see much downside.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Howdy gentleman..... just catching up. @AtownPoke I get exactly what youre saying. However lets not confuse culture w/ style. David Taylor has a philosophy of scoring points and having fun. Thats not going to happen overnight. And yes, Amine's style is not a high scoring one. But as far as culture, does Amine live it? Does he work hard? Does he set the right kind of example in those two areas 365 days a year for the younger guys on the team? Idk but that's culture my friend.

As far as some other things recently in the thread, I have different thoughts about winning vs culture. Imo the right culture leads to winning, not the other way around. For example, Iowa could put AJ in the line up and it will likely lead to more wins, but is that good for culture? I think we all know the answer is HELL NO.

As far as having so many transfers come in (if we add Amine) it is what it is. One good thing about it is having tough savvy veterans in the room for the young guys to learn from. And I read where @AtownPoke said keep Amine away from Thompson which I thought was funny lol. Got news for you man, the reality is that Amine is WAYYYY more offensive than BT (and that's saying something) and a winner.

I look forward to the days when we are challenging for natty championships with mainly guys we recruited. That'll take awhile so best we can do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

Fartz out ✌️
I am with atown on this one for the most part. It appears I am with you on the rest.

I hate boring Wrestling, but the guy wins.

I am pro bringing him and Bear Claw in, while putting shirts on Fish, Hamiti, Plott, Hendrickson. It would look like this.

25- TS
33- Hughes
41- Jamison
49- Williams/Young
57- TT
65- Bear Claw
74- Amine
84- ?
97- CC
HW- Doucet/Surber

Then the following year looks like this.

25- TS
33- ?
41- Hughes
49- Young/TT
57- Williams
65- Fish
74- Hamiti
84- Plott
97- CC
HW- Hendrickson

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts