ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA PORTAL

Curious to see where Barraclough ends up. You’d think DT would be able to grab him if he wanted him, and would seem to make more sense if they were pursuing a 165.
Barraclough is looking at the right Master's program so his main focus is on that. I checked once and the only university in the top 20 for his Masters was Pitt (think Sooners to an OSU fan). I doubt he goes there, but his thinking might be unconventional for a portal guy. There is NO PSU fan that doesn't love him. He is a James English, who for reference only wrestled as a senior (22 times) for PSU, and took 7th at nationals. A room guy who got his shot and made it work. All heart, no fuss. If David can swing it, he'd take Barraclough over Amine because of the culture that a Barraclough brings to the room. He is everything you want in a room by all accounts.

Of all the great wrestlers under Cael, I believe the only guy Cael ever carried off the mat on his shoulders was James English when he took 7th. I see DT being that kind of coach. You cherish the unselfish guys who work as much as the starters but without the bright lights and lead by example.

I cannot believe people are sleeping on Spratley.
He has Spratley in the blood round. When he was talking about liledahl or however you spell it, Willie I believe said I put him on a tier w/ Figs, Ayala and Spratley, or that he can go w/ them or something like that. No one is sleeping on Troy and no one will be shocked if he's top 3 next year. But nearly all the guys at 125 are back and he has liledahl placing high which I understand.

It doesn’t really feel like people are sleeping on Spratley, rather they are excited. It seems like it’s on him to put it all together and be consistent.

He knocked off Figeruoa at home, which shows you what he’s got.
Made his way to the B12 Finals and made one fatal mistake.
Then underwhelmed at NCAAs.
Ayala looks like a bad matchup for him, as Ayala’s length neutralizes Spratley aggressiveness.
Gilman will be the best thing to happen to Spratley, and I bet we see a noticeable jump up.

It doesn’t really feel like people are sleeping on Spratley, rather they are excited. It seems like it’s on him to put it all together and be consistent.

He knocked off Figeruoa at home, which shows you what he’s got.
Made his way to the B12 Finals and made one fatal mistake.
Then underwhelmed at NCAAs.
Ayala looks like a bad matchup for him, as Ayala’s length neutralizes Spratley aggressiveness.
Gilman will be the best thing to happen to Spratley, and I bet we see a noticeable jump up.
Ayala is a bad matchup for a lot of guys. He's very good.

What’s it hurt lol? Amine is an upgrade over Fish if he stays at 65. Amine got fourth twice.
As I said earlier, DT knows and this is a dumb message board opinion but he was bad this year and I can’t get him running away from Messenbrink to the point that he was one stall away from a DQ…. Out of my head. His style isnt good for the young guys in the room or the culture of aggression that DT said he intended to build. Imo he has no real upside other than a few points and that’s IF he gets back to his previous form. Just my two cents

Nothing desperate about improving your overall talent and adding a guy the caliber of Amine.
That’s just untrue. Are we in this to chase 2nd next year or are we in this to win championships. This isn’t an established PSU program and Cael has been very very picky on transfers. Every decision DT makes right now will have a major impact on the culture.

As I said earlier, DT knows and this is a dumb message board opinion but he was bad this year and I can’t get him running away from Messenbrink to the point that he was one stall away from a DQ…. Out of my head. His style isnt good for the young guys in the room or the culture of aggression that DT said he intended to build. Imo he has no real upside other than a few points and that’s IF he gets back to his previous form. Just my two cents
Thank you for your thoughts. He probably wants to change. Hamiti and Amine are multiple time all Americans who really underperformed last year. They should both be motivated. I think Hamiti’s issue was injuries last year. Thought I recall he got hurt vs Messenbrink while up big in big ten finals

That’s just untrue. Are we in this to chase 2nd next year or are we in this to win championships. This isn’t an established PSU program and Cael has been very very picky on transfers. Every decision DT makes right now will have a major impact on the culture.
Getting second will help with recruiting a lot. Will show the significant strides in the program. Show Taylor can do the job. Guys like Bo Bassett need to be convinced.

Thank you for your thoughts. He probably wants to change. Hamiti and Amine are multiple time all Americans who really underperformed last year. They should both be motivated. I think Hamiti’s issue was injuries last year. Thought I recall he got hurt vs Messenbrink while up big in big ten finals
He still AA’d. Amine fell out completely.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
If you are bringing in Hamiti, Hendrickson, and Fish, what about brining in Amine all of a sudden affects the culture?

The answer to your question is BOTH. They aren’t mutually exclusive. You can chase 2nd next year while also setting yourself up for the future. In fact, there is likely nothing better you can do than doggedly pursuing 2nd next year. People want to WIN.

Lastly, Cael has had his pick of the litter. More options to choose from than spots. They haven’t been shy about taking the best transfer they can get year after year. Again, they took a COACH who was hired and on staff and brought him in.

OSU will soon be in this position. They will have more options than spots. This is a complete and total paradigm shift. We aren’t taking about marginal gains. This is Alabama/Georgia.

Penn State is picky with transfers. When DT wins his 11th title in 13 years I hope he is picky too.

Carl used more than his fair share of transfers to jump start the Penn State dynasty.
Air Im not trying to convince you. This is the kind of argument that we used to have on the Corral. I think culture stuff matters. I always will. You want stars and talent at all times. That’s fine. This guy ain’t it imo but we’ll see and if it all plays out with me looking like an idiot then that means DT is the real deal and that’s fantastic.

If you are bringing in Hamiti, Hendrickson, and Fish, what about brining in Amine all of a sudden affects the culture?

The answer to your question is BOTH. They aren’t mutually exclusive. You can chase 2nd next year while also setting yourself up for the future. In fact, there is likely nothing better you can do than doggedly pursuing 2nd next year. People want to WIN.

Lastly, Cael has had his pick of the litter. More options to choose from than spots. They haven’t been shy about taking the best transfer they can get year after year. Again, they took a COACH who was hired and on staff and brought him in.

OSU will soon be in this position. They will have more options than spots. This is a complete and total paradigm shift. We aren’t taking about marginal gains. This is Alabama/Georgia.
His style and the way he wrestles this last year F’n sucks. He has zero clue what it’s like to have his back to the center. I just don’t like the guy lol. That’s probably all this is.

Air Im not trying to convince you. This is the kind of argument that we used to have on the Corral. I think culture stuff matters. I always will. You want stars and talent at all times. That’s fine. This guy ain’t it imo but we’ll see and if it all plays out with me looking like an idiot then that means DT is the real deal and that’s fantastic.
But why is Amine a culture problem? That’s the part I don’t understand.

@Air_Thurman ^ this

It probably doesn’t matter because he’s probably going to process abunch of guys anyway but I don’t want him coming within 100 miles of Brayden Thompson

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Aminu is a three time AA and he beat Izzy last year at nationals. He’s a pretty solid AA this year at a weight where we don’t have one.

I really don’t understand what is desperate about bringing in a 3 time AA.
I get what he is saying though. DT has to weigh the extra points in 2025 versus what he is building long term. I trust whatever DT decides, but AtownPoke has a point. I bet DT struggles with this point - counterpoint every day.

I get what he is saying though. DT has to weigh the extra points in 2025 versus what he is building long term. I trust whatever DT decides, but AtownPoke has a point. I bet DT struggles with this point - counterpoint every day.
I get that. But no one on planet earth is putting more thought into building the culture of the room than DT. Do I want a roster of Amine’s? No.

These coaches know Amine well. If they want to bring him in I trust it. I don’t think it is desperate. If our coaches let Amine effect the wrestling style of our younger guys we’ve got big problems.

A lot of great points here, and I love how you guys disagree respectfully. Some stress culture. Some stress winning now. Neither are wrong. That's why DT gets paid the big bucks. In the end, culture is important, but winning (or the perception) creates the vibe that the program is cutting edge and you need that for recruiting. I see it both ways. No wrong answer. In 3-4 years, DT will probably stress culture because he is winning.

I get that. But no one on planet earth is putting more thought into building the culture of the room than DT. Do I want a roster of Amine’s? No.

These coaches know Amine well. If they want to bring him in I trust it. I don’t think it is desperate. If our coaches let Amine effect the wrestling style of our younger guys we’ve got big problems.
I said as much. It doesn’t mean he won’t make a misstep or two. This may not even be close to being one but Amine is the antithesis of what DT was as a wrestler.

I agree with you btw, but also recognize that AtownPoke also has a valid point. In the end, recruiting drives everything, and you need to win in order to drive recruiting. Culture comes from the atmosphere in the room and not the individuals. PSU has had many non-exciting guys. Culture is about training them to be their best given their tendencies. Not out to make little DT's out of everyone.

I said as much. It doesn’t mean he won’t make a misstep or two. This may not even be close to being one but Amine is the antithesis of what DT was as a wrestler.
That's okay though. Beau Bartlett is the antithesis of DTs style but it works for him. Culture is more about guys working as hard as possible to live a wrestler's life and perfect THEIR style, and not DTs.

@AtownPoke: I appreciate your appreciation for culture. I get it. It just doesn’t seem like something we have to worry about. These guys are going to create a fantastic culture. Likely even better than what we’ve become accustomed to. They aren’t going to jeopardize that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT