ADVERTISEMENT

Lockett and Ayden Thomas at OU!!

Not worried about this at all. Lockett already said in a interview on Flo when recruiting opened up that he was going to take advantage of the recruiting process and take all his official visits etc. Any HS kid with his level of talent deserves/owes it to himself to go through the recruiting process and weigh their options. I absolutely don't want to put my foot in my mouth, but from what I've heard he is ours to lose.

For the first time in a long time, I think OU has a coach who has a plan and a desire to turn OU back into a top program. I don't think they will get Lockett but I really need to stop underestimating our staffs' ability to disappoint me.

You really do need to be more positive about our staff Lockett is not going anywhere
I agree with Blair. I talk communicate with one of the new wrestlers and he is very excited about our program and John's decision to bring Coleman back. What happened last year will probably not happen again. Our new wrestlers are focused and making stuff happen. Hear Alverez is good, but might not be the starter at 141 as another new wrestler is doing very well.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Based on the current NIL rules, it seems like anyone could end up anywhere if the money and sponsorship is right.. Being able to wrestle at the D! level while also getting school paid for is a great deal.. Also being able to live in a nice apartment and drive a nice car and have some pocket money makes a big difference.. I dont know if anyone that is reading this has taken the time to watch the Cary Kolat film on FLO.. I realize That Im dating myself, but Kolat was a few years ahead of me and to those into wrestling, he was a legend.. How could anyone so young be so good and be so young? He won everything.. He almost won Midlands while in high school...AFTER watching the film, after watching him dig through all his stop signs and medals that he had stored in a plastic bin in a shed,, after hearing him describe what he had to give up and endure to be that good, it occurred to me that perhaps it wasn't worth it in the long run.. If I think back at every good memory I have growing up that involved hanging out with friends, having fun during the summers, going on dates, having girlfriends, having a summer job, etc and replaced every memory with training or traveling to a tournament or wrestling someplace.. To be honest, Kolat didnt seem to care about any of those trophies and he didnt seem to have overly fond memories about wrestling looking back.. I dont think Coach Smith is on board with essentially paying kids to be on his team.

OU may be in trouble after this season because I will be surprised if the commissioners let them stay in the Big 12. OU jumping to the SEC will cost the conference big bucks. Maybe they will go to the MAC like Missouri had to do.

Reactions: JAY45
OU may be in trouble after this season because I will be surprised if the commissioners let them stay in the Big 12. OU jumping to the SEC will cost the conference big bucks. Maybe they will go to the MAC like Missouri had to do.
That’s ok. Arizona State more than accommodates for that loss.

Maybe they can add Oregon State as an affiliate.

Based on the current NIL rules, it seems like anyone could end up anywhere if the money and sponsorship is right.. Being able to wrestle at the D! level while also getting school paid for is a great deal.. Also being able to live in a nice apartment and drive a nice car and have some pocket money makes a big difference.. I dont know if anyone that is reading this has taken the time to watch the Cary Kolat film on FLO.. I realize That Im dating myself, but Kolat was a few years ahead of me and to those into wrestling, he was a legend.. How could anyone so young be so good and be so young? He won everything.. He almost won Midlands while in high school...AFTER watching the film, after watching him dig through all his stop signs and medals that he had stored in a plastic bin in a shed,, after hearing him describe what he had to give up and endure to be that good, it occurred to me that perhaps it wasn't worth it in the long run.. If I think back at every good memory I have growing up that involved hanging out with friends, having fun during the summers, going on dates, having girlfriends, having a summer job, etc and replaced every memory with training or traveling to a tournament or wrestling someplace.. To be honest, Kolat didnt seem to care about any of those trophies and he didnt seem to have overly fond memories about wrestling looking back.. I dont think Coach Smith is on board with essentially paying kids to be on his team.
Some people are wired to compete and that is what they love I still enjoy working out and sweating and pushing myself and I am in my 60s. Maybe Kolat is disappointed with how he spent his childhood or maybe not. I personally do not give a rat's butt about any trophies that I won either.
With the being said, I hope my son finds some balance in his wrestling/social/college life. I think he is.

Reactions: DPJ
I've watched it and personally think Kolat is probably a little jaded about his accomplishments and rightfully so. He was wrongfully stripped of wins on the world stage because of BS protests. When you devote your entire life to winning at the highest level and those wins are unjustifiably protested and stripped away it would piss anyone off. All that hard work for nothing. Of course at that point it would feel like it wasn't worth it.

I've watched it and personally think Kolat is probably a little jaded about his accomplishments and rightfully so. He was wrongfully stripped of wins on the world stage because of BS protests. When you devote your entire life to winning at the highest level and those wins are unjustifiably protested and stripped away it would piss anyone off. All that hard work for nothing. Of course at that point it would feel like it wasn't worth it.
What happened to him (and it happened repeatedly) and what happened to Ian Miller at the NCAA tourney are the worst examples of getting screwed possible in the history of wrestling, although upon further thought - LeRoy Smith and the Randy Lewis debacle may be an even greater example of a total screwing

Reactions: bwel9339
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT