ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Dual - Sold Out

I've heard we have a lot of money tied up in Thompson. Maybe we don't have to have so much going forward.

Yes! I sat thru two meetings where we were hard pressed for NIL money this weekend. Hard to get motivated to help pay salaries for what I sat thru this weekend. If you throw Cowgirl basketball into the mix it is really not motivating at all.

Cowboy Baseball and Cowgirl Tennis were a help but hard to overcome the rest of what was really pretty poor effort.
Tough crowd for Softball who won 7 games this week including beating #4 Washington 7-0.

Very similar situation to 149. Talent and pedigree are there. Can they do what is needed off the mat to have a high level of success at this level.

Took a year plus but we are starting to see positive signs at 149. The hope is we see that same at 174.

Talent is there.
At least Jordan generates offense in just about every match. Thompson is not generating any in just about every match. He's had some good counters but its obviously not enough. Recruiting needs to target guys that score points (think Jax and Bo). Thats not a hard guideline to follow. The vast majority of guys who will be in the finals and or bring home individual titles are guys that generate offense. The psu guys, Keck, O'toole and Carr, Vito, Plott, Daton. I hope we stay away from future recruits that just squeak by in HS regardless how much they win and and also find kids that have demonstrated they have discipline with their weight.

All that being said, 174 clears out next year like no weight I've seen in a long time. Thompson has a hell of a opportunity to capitalize on that next year. The staff needs to go after someone to challenge him for the spot like w/ Jordan and Sammy. If Thompson doesnt want to do what he needs to do for himself and the team then we have a back up at least. I suppose to some it might be a novel idea that we double up on good recruits at a weight like psu.

The dual was obviously disappointing. That being said I think when you look at guys like Spratley, Jamison and Teague, I think they will be ready for those guys if they see them again in KC. Remember, Spratley avenged his loss to Tanner Jordan and Jamison beat Hardy their second match. Ayala, Woods and Franek are all projected to AA so lets hope our Cowboys do see those 3 again as that will mean theyre in the hunt.

Somebody earlier said we need a new 197 next year. I strongly disagree. Surber works hard, generates offense and gets after it. He's just been injured and thats nobody's fault. 197 this year is full of NCAA finalists and world medalists. The weight clears out well next year along with 174. If Surbers healthy he should AA and with a good tournament he could possibly do it this year.

Doucet gonna Doucet. Merrills coming.

Why not throw CC out there at HWT yesterday? Have I missed him wrestling in duals this year?

I'm withholding my thumbs up or thumbs down on the season based on the post-season. If we come out and lay another turd in the punch bowl-type Big 12 and NCAA tournament, then no the season was not a success. Dual victories are nice but they hold no value, it's like claiming you are a real ladies' man based on how many online girlfriends you have.

I'm holding out hope that some of the young guys will step up this postseason.

At least Jordan generates offense in just about every match. Thompson is not generating any in just about every match. He's had some good counters but its obviously not enough. Recruiting needs to target guys that score points (think Jax and Bo). Thats not a hard guideline to follow. The vast majority of guys who will be in the finals and or bring home individual titles are guys that generate offense. The psu guys, Keck, O'toole and Carr, Vito, Plott, Daton. I hope we stay away from future recruits that just squeak by in HS regardless how much they win and and also find kids that have demonstrated they have discipline with their weight.

All that being said, 174 clears out next year like no weight I've seen in a long time. Thompson has a hell of a opportunity to capitalize on that next year. The staff needs to go after someone to challenge him for the spot like w/ Jordan and Sammy. If Thompson doesnt want to do what he needs to do for himself and the team then we have a back up at least. I suppose to some it might be a novel idea that we double up on good recruits at a weight like psu.

The dual was obviously disappointing. That being said I think when you look at guys like Spratley, Jamison and Teague, I think they will be ready for those guys if they see them again in KC. Remember, Spratley avenged his loss to Tanner Jordan and Jamison beat Hardy their second match. Ayala, Woods and Franek are all projected to AA so lets hope our Cowboys do see those 3 again as that will mean theyre in the hunt.

Somebody earlier said we need a new 197 next year. I strongly disagree. Surber works hard, generates offense and gets after it. He's just been injured and thats nobody's fault. 197 this year is full of NCAA finalists and world medalists. The weight clears out well next year along with 174. If Surbers healthy he should AA and with a good tournament he could possibly do it this year.

Doucet gonna Doucet. Merrills coming.
I can see Otoole and Hamiti moving up to 174 and Carter can still comeback as well. So 174 might not be so easy.

Why not throw CC out there at HWT yesterday? Have I missed him wrestling in duals this year?

I'm withholding my thumbs up or thumbs down on the season based on the post-season. If we come out and lay another turd in the punch bowl-type Big 12 and NCAA tournament, then no the season was not a success. Dual victories are nice but they hold no value, it's like claiming you are a real ladies' man based on how many online girlfriends you have.

I'm holding out hope that some of the young guys will step up this postseason.
CC weighed in at 227 yesterday

I saw Gov. Stitt there. There were probably quite a few first time fans there that won't be back again. Sad, but true.
Yes, unfortunately it was kind of a boring match to walk and just gives people an excuse as to why they don’t want to get into wrestling

Karchla also? But when there's like 15 seniors in the top 20, that's nuts!
Agree wonder if he goes back to 165 or they RS Rocco and he goes 174 next year it will be interesting. Plus Nelson could be back but probably at 184 with Gabe 174

Iowa wrestled 5 underclassmen. So not like we faced an all star senior team. If that’s what you mean. We also wrestled 5 underclassmen…
One year experience at this level going through a whole season is a lot especially for freshman if you’ve never been there or done that it’s really hard to understand I get your point though they are a lot more experience though

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT