ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Dual - Sold Out

I hope we have another HWT lined up for next season. Probably need another option at 174 as well if Thompson doesn’t get a lot better.

So many casual OSU fans don’t attend matches regularly bc they are boring like today.The 3 point takedown has done nothing to make us more aggressive like Coach Smith said it would.

So many casual OSU fans don’t attend matches regularly bc they are boring like today.The 3 point takedown has done nothing to make us more aggressive like Coach Smith said it would.
We've been kicking ass all season long with the 3-point takedown. Today we ran into a better team, who were better prepared and wanted it so much more.

Only one I thought wrestled well was JW. The rest looked like they were rounding into postseason form. I got nothing good about any other weight so I’ll refrain.
Agreed. Fix really set the tone. 7th year senior absolutely settling for a regular decision and zero urgency for much needed bonus points against the 31st ranked wrestler at 133.

My initial thought towards the end of the match was this was our team of the past two years. Gassing in the second period, no meaningful shots, and leading with a leg. Did John take over coaching the team again?
Daton looked gassed and wrestled passively in the third when we needed bonus.

My initial thought towards the end of the match was this was our team of the past two years. Gassing in the second period, no meaningful shots, and leading with a leg. Did John take over coaching the team again?
Daton looked gassed and wrestled passively in the third when we needed bonus.
These are exactly my thoughts as well. No fire. Really bad to lay an egg like that with that kind of crowd in GIA. So frustrating. No one did well. No one.

Also not a way to raise funds or bring in that borderline fan.
Yes! I sat thru two meetings where we were hard pressed for NIL money this weekend. Hard to get motivated to help pay salaries for what I sat thru this weekend. If you throw Cowgirl basketball into the mix it is really not motivating at all.

Cowboy Baseball and Cowgirl Tennis were a help but hard to overcome the rest of what was really pretty poor effort.

Yes! I sat thru two meetings where we were hard pressed for NIL money this weekend. Hard to get motivated to help pay salaries for what I sat thru this weekend. If you throw Cowgirl basketball into the mix it is really not motivating at all.

Cowboy Baseball and Cowgirl Tennis were a help but hard to overcome the rest of what was really pretty poor effort.
I hear you but surely you understand how counter-intuitive this is? "I'm not giving you money until you are good but you need money to get good."

I hear you but surely you understand how counter-intuitive this is? "I'm not giving you money until you are good but you need money to get good."
Yes, I do! However I'm gonna stand by my statement. I know others have mentioned it, but I would feel more inclined to participate in an endowed fund that will provide sustainable income for ongoing support for Pay4Play. No real point in continuing to call it NIL, that's not what it is in reality.

Reactions: OAMC99
Iowa is ready for what we do. We don’t look like we game planned very well.

No. I have been assured by my fellow Iowa fans that we don't study film of opponents. They believe it when a kid says to the media "I just go out and wrestle my match and not worry about what the other guy does." Tough dual for the Pokes today but don't overreact. Yea, our rivalry dual is big but Big 12s are bigger. Good luck the rest of the way.

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

Old enough and salty enough to know getting punched in the mouth isn’t the end of the world. Hopefully the staff can use this to get them ready for the post season, at that point we’ll know of we’ve truly turned the corner.
I think and hope you are 100%. Seems obvious to me John is coaching differently than the past few years. Coleman's addition seemed to have major impact this season.

However, as has been posted above Deja vu was strong today!

Brayden Thompson has shown absolutely nothing this year, we need another high level incoming freshman or portal guy at 174 as insurance, he should have to win his spot next year not get handed anything.
BT isn’t a problem. Not thrilled with the product either, but he was a top recruit we absolutely want to get. Relying on a true freshman in an upper weight is the problem. I.e lack of depth. I believe middle Ferrari was the long term plan at the time.

Disgraceful effort by Fix, he is supposed to be our leader and this was a huge match for our program and he should be going and getting us bonus points and not only does he not, but he doesn't really seem to even try or care and then winks and bows afterwards like he just won the olympics. I get it, it's his last match at GIA, but he is nowhere near the cowboy great that he or uncle John thinks he is

Reactions: bwel9339 and OAMC99
Disgraceful effort by Fix, he is supposed to be our leader and this was a huge match for our program and he should be going and getting us bonus points and not only does he not, but he doesn't really seem to even try or care and then winks and bows afterwards like he just won the olympics. I get it, it's his last match at GIA, but he is nowhere near the cowboy great that he or uncle John thinks he is
He did lead; by backing up and getting a stale when he needed to be pressing. Plott wasn't any better and I don't remember Olejnik wrestling a truly good match since before Christmas. Our three studs just petered out. If Fix and Plott had scored bonus points and Olejnik had won who knows how Suber and Doucet might have been inspired. This is not the first time Fix has underperformed in a like situation. Worrying about losing is not the best way to win and certainly not the best way to dominate.

I recently rewatched the Gene Mills/Joe Gonzales NCAA final from 1979. Two of the greatest wrestlers ever and the final score was 16 to 13. Neither of these guys were afraid to be scored upon because they knew they were going to bust their asses and score again. Watch Schultz/Banach; every Sheets, Monday or John Smith match. Defensive wrestling has nearly ruined this sport. Shame on Dan Gable.

We have help on that way at HWY and 197 and some really good young guys in the room.

It’s been a very good step in the right direction in several aspects this season. Today doesn’t really change that. No fun getting beat up at home but it happens.

We have help on that way at HWY and 197 and some really good young guys in the room.

It’s been a very good step in the right direction in several aspects this season. Today doesn’t really change that. No fun getting beat up at home but it happens.
I'm concerned about 174, he just doesn't look good right now.

Reactions: JAY45 and bwel9339
STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THOMPSON. Last I checked Gabe Arnold is a true freshman and wrestled a much closer match to a MUCH better wrestler. BT has next to zero offense and has terrible weight management. He needs to grow up and get dedicated to that part of wrestling. He doesn’t want to be at 174, well tough shit that’s his spot this year and probably next. You think Cael puts up with that from ANY of his guys? Not a chance and that’s why they’re in top and we’re still a LONG ways from our next title. If the coaches are smart they start looking hard for a replacement now!

Wasn't as bad as the score may have seemed....

Spratley and Surber both had chances to win there matches....

We all knew Thompson was gonna get worked, Doucet is just blah...No idea how he's ranked...

Most disappointed in Olejnik, dude was just garbage, no real way around it. He let him man get up on him and didn't even both to use his length for anything.

I thought Travis got screwed, believe there were a couple of whistle they blew for really no reason, one for sure was going to lead to points. Smith and Caldwell about lost their minds.

Seemed early matches had a lot of quick stalemate whistles and random whistles for something...

Overall bad day but maybe we needed a bad day, Smith obviously wasn't happy so maybe this helps get them reset and into the last month.

Overall theme from yesterday was a lack of energy and determination to go out and push the pace and initiate offense from most weights. We got killed on the takedown battle and didn’t look to open up the score when we were favored and winning. We wrestled on the defense the majority of our weights with all but Plott in our upper weights looking completely flat and disengaged.

As a longtime fan and knowing how big this dual was for putting the program back on the map after the last few years of underperforming, I am very disappointed in the performance of our team. Even though this is just one dual, the buzz and excitement before this dual was electric and I just felt like getting a win yesterday would have catapulted this program back to where it should be. Could have helped reengage the fan base, help raise funds and move in the direction we all want to see it go in. And especially help with recruiting. It’s not the loss that I’m disappointed in, but the way we look in losing that is frustrating. 5 of our losses (141,157,165,174,285) weren’t even as close as the score indicated. The fight just wasn’t there for a lot of them. I just wanted to see more pride in making an effort to push the pace and score some points. I just can’t understand it because I haven’t wrestled in 20 years and my old ass was ready to go out there and give it everything I had.

Other notes. I'm 95% sure I saw Jax Forrest walking around eating dip n' dots before the dual. He walked right in front of my wife and I. Would of stopped to talk to him but the beer line was too long to get out. Was surprised to see him in attendance, but obviously thinking to myself that we have a legit chance to land him.

I'm concerned about 174, he just doesn't look good right now.

Very similar situation to 149. Talent and pedigree are there. Can they do what is needed off the mat to have a high level of success at this level.

Took a year plus but we are starting to see positive signs at 149. The hope is we see that same at 174.

Talent is there.

Reactions: bwel9339 and driad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT