ADVERTISEMENT

House of Dragon

FMPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2002
Flower Mound, TX
Coming Suday. My expectations are fairly low but there no doubt I'll be watching. Previews look interesting . I've seen very little discussion or information about it. Anyone heard anything

Have no idea if it will be good or bad but will be watching also. But I've not read any source material for this or GOT. And I'm probably one of the few that wasn't upset with how GOT ended.

I have no idea how this will go but the good news is they have all the source material for a full story from Martin. I think GOT went off the rails the further they got away from Martin.
Just stick with Martin he is the GOAT of connecting multiple moving story lines. The Elden Ring video game creators somehow roped him into being part of the big picture creation of the story line. Of course the game ended up being an all time great based upon reviews.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
This or Roberts Rebellion, I agree. Both are more intriguing than ASOIAF I think.
I agree and one advantage the Targs story is better than Robert rebellion IMO is the first has so much more history to account for then the years of the rebellion but house of Targ is juicy stuff IMO.

I think the Rebellion would be awesome but the good thing about the Dance of Dragons war is Martin literally wrote a book about these events specifically so the plotting is in place for this show. You would think that would help a ton.

Reactions: Cowguy and SSS!!!
I agree and one advantage the Targs story is better than Robert rebellion IMO is the first has so much more history to account for then the years of the rebellion but house of Targ is juicy stuff IMO.
This WORLD could literally run 15 years easily and everyone would be hooked....Similar to Lord of the Rings...6 movies? They could made 20 and everyone would've watched them.

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
This WORLD could literally run 15 years easily and everyone would be hooked....Similar to Lord of the Rings...6 movies? They could made 20 and everyone would've watched them.
I would love Roberts Rebellion in like a three-movie series or maybe 10-episode limited series on HBO a lot more than anything white walker.

House Targaryen has so many elements to it. Like dunk and egg and then the queen who built the wall, the war with Starks. I am pumped for this. GRRM has focused on House Targaryen more than any other with source material. A lot of big characters for the world to latch onto.

Reactions: SSS!!!
Maegor I will be fun if they do that one down the road. Is this starting with them taking Westeros?

I watched the trailer and see they are starting this with them already in power. That sucks. This will be a good one and starts the downfall of House Targaryen.

Last edited:
Reviews are starting to hit. A little all over the place. One common criticism is there are a lot of blond Targaryens so its hard to keep track of who is who. Which is probably fair.

Reviews are starting to hit. A little all over the place. One common criticism is there are a lot of blond Targaryens so its hard to keep track of who is who. Which is probably fair.

Tends to be an issue with a lot of HBO programs. They like to introduce a lot of characters early without a lot a background. For the opposite of all the blonds The Wire confused the hell out of me.

Tends to be an issue with a lot of HBO programs. They like to introduce a lot of characters early without a lot a background. For the opposite of all the blonds The Wire confused the hell out of me.
Haha it took me damn near three seasons of GOT to get the names right.

Tony Hale Them Is Fighting Words GIF by Veep HBO

I really liked it. I’ve read the book it is based on though so I know what’s coming and who the players are. I’m sure that skews my view.

They skipped forward a long ways. I’m sure their will be a lot of flashbacks about how the Targaryen’s rose to power. I want to see Balerion, the Black Dread in action.

They skipped forward a long ways. I’m sure their will be a lot of flashbacks about how the Targaryen’s rose to power. I want to see Balerion, the Black Dread in action.
Don’t think thats the story they are telling. I think the series is about the Dance of the Dragons specifically, not a whole history of their rule.

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Don’t think thats the story they are telling. I think the series is about the Dance of the Dragons specifically, not a whole history of their rule.
It would make sense to include that part in flashes if they have no intention of making it a series.

I am one of the few who thought last two seasons were good.
I didn't necessarily hate them, the action was amazing, especially the last season....Everything just felt extremely rushed. They made them into hour plus episodes and then shortened everything, so felt like it was fast. I'll never understand why series like that always have different episode sizes for seasons....If season 10-12 episodes, make every season like that.

Spartacus was like that too and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I didn't necessarily hate them, the action was amazing, especially the last season....Everything just felt extremely rushed. They made them into hour plus episodes and then shortened everything, so felt like it was fast. I'll never understand why series like that always have different episode sizes for seasons....If season 10-12 episodes, make every season like that.

Spartacus was like that too and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I agree with a sense of rushing things to an extent. The thing that made game of thrones great was the twists, turns, and no one is off limits.(to die). It is incredibly unique in that aspect. Hardly any other series built up characters with tons of content only to off them in dramatic fashion. Then…….people were furious that it ended that way. Personally I loved the episode the long night. Many people hated it.

They have said they are basically making the equivalent to Episode IV of Star Wars. They’ve left it open to do prequel seasons if they want to.

It would make sense to include that part in flashes if they have no intention of making it a series.
They definitely could, especially if the series is a big hit and they want to stretch it out.

My only concern would be it is going to be tough for fans to keep track of who is who during the Dance of the Dragons. Throwing in flash backs to add even more blond hair people ridding dragons would be a lot. It would be cool to see though.

Reactions: Mr.OSU
They have said they are basically making the equivalent to Episode IV of Star Wars. They’ve left it open to do prequel seasons if they want to.
Hope they do. There is a lot of great content currently jumped over. I didn’t read much about the series. I assumed they would roll through the entire Targaryen dynasty in the long series.

Reactions: SSS!!!
They definitely could, especially if the series is a big hit and they want to stretch it out.

My only concern would be it is going to be tough for fans to keep track of who is who during the Dance of the Dragons. Throwing in flash backs to add even more blond hair people ridding dragons would be a lot. It would be cool to see though.

Last night was actually far less confusing than I anticipated. I don't know all their backstories having not read the book, but I felt like the five to ten major characters were pretty well defined.

Last night was actually far less confusing than I anticipated. I don't know all their backstories having not read the book, but I felt like the five to ten major characters were pretty well defined.
They seemed to do well at casting again. They knocked it out of the park with game of thrones. Funny how it worked out the way it did. When they asked George R R Martin who he saw as Tyrian. He said there is only person that has to be Tyrian…..Peter Dinklage. It was Peter Dinklage that actually got them connected with the actress who played Cersei. He said after reading the script I know who Cersei is. Recommending Lena_Headey. I can’t imagine picking two better fits for those roles.

I agree with a sense of rushing things to an extent. The thing that made game of thrones great was the twists, turns, and no one is off limits.(to die). It is incredibly unique in that aspect. Hardly any other series built up characters with tons of content only to off them in dramatic fashion. Then…….people were furious that it ended that way. Personally I loved the episode the long night. Many people hated it.
I didn't mind the ending, I wish they could've built on a "5 years later" or something to that extent to show the progress of the remaining characters and having some closure.

Bran - Alive and well I assume and king? Did he and Tyrion rebuild the city and other regions?
Sansa - Queen in the North. First time ever, was she supported all over the North?
Jon Snow - Did he say screw it and went beyond the wall to be with 'his people' or did he do his duty?
Arya - Where did she go? Does she discover how far West goes?
Greyworm - Does he make it to the island of Narth?
Danaerys - Where does her dragon take her? Bran tries to find them but couldn't for months (iirc)

Do they give Jamie and Cersie a proper burial? The Iron Islands?

SO MANY UNANSWERED! I always figured it would be a Sequel but I doubt it'd ever happen...

I didn't mind the ending, I wish they could've built on a "5 years later" or something to that extent to show the progress of the remaining characters and having some closure.

Bran - Alive and well I assume and king? Did he and Tyrion rebuild the city and other regions?
Sansa - Queen in the North. First time ever, was she supported all over the North?
Jon Snow - Did he say screw it and went beyond the wall to be with 'his people' or did he do his duty?
Danaerys - Where does her dragon take her? Bran tries to find them but couldn't for months (iirc)

SO MANY UNANSWERED! I always figured it would be a Sequel but I doubt it'd ever happen...
I like that they all split off onto new adventures. It ended with a sense of hope for everyone. Everyone left were off to something that fit them. Money talks. They could cut a massive check to all those actors five years from now and go on with the series. It’s left open for that currently.

I went in with low expectations (probably framed due to how awful GOT was in the final 2 seasons). I was pleasantly surprised. I have skimmed through the story written by GRRM, but only remember bits and pieces. I did pause the episode to do a bit of research as I was watching, which helped. For example, I was wondering who exactly Alicent was. Figured out that she was a Hightower and the daughter of the Kings's hand. Of course, that was clarified at the end of the episode.

As to there being so many characters with long blonde hair... that is not the only confusing part of the show/stories. So many of the Targaryeans have the same/similar names. (i.e. Rhaenys, Rhaenyra, Rhaena). On top of that, they name their dragons similar names. Rhaegal (dragon) Rhaegar, Viserion (dragon) Viserys, Balerion (dragon) Baelor. That's on GRRM. HBO could have minimized it by changing some names, but that would probably cause confusion for fans who know the story already.

For me, there will probably be plenty of pausing the show and looking up names for clarification.

All in all, I thought the first episode was much better than I was expecting. Looking forward to the next one.

Ugh, fffff, why???? Why do you remind me how incredibly awful the ending of S8 was. The prophecy of ASOIAF was back to the original Targs in Westeros and that’s the ending of it we got. Just thinking of that stupid council meeting when they named Bran king makes me sick to my stomach.

I went in with low expectations (probably framed due to how awful GOT was in the final 2 seasons). I was pleasantly surprised. I have skimmed through the story written by GRRM, but only remember bits and pieces. I did pause the episode to do a bit of research as I was watching, which helped. For example, I was wondering who exactly Alicent was. Figured out that she was a Hightower and the daughter of the Kings's hand. Of course, that was clarified at the end of the episode.

As to there being so many characters with long blonde hair... that is not the only confusing part of the show/stories. So many of the Targaryeans have the same/similar names. (i.e. Rhaenys, Rhaenyra, Rhaena). On top of that, they name their dragons similar names. Rhaegal (dragon) Rhaegar, Viserion (dragon) Viserys, Balerion (dragon) Baelor. That's on GRRM. HBO could have minimized it by changing some names, but that would probably cause confusion for fans who know the story already.

For me, there will probably be plenty of pausing the show and looking up names for clarification.

All in all, I thought the first episode was much better than I was expecting. Looking forward to the next one.
I like how they made the Velaryon family black w white hair. GRRM said he originally was going to do that but ultimately decided against it. I think it works and at least gives some contrast.

Reactions: Been Jammin

I agree. Just name one of them Bob.

"Welcome my Lord. May I introduce Rhaenys, Rhaenyra, Rhaena and Bob."

No one would ever forget who is Bob.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT