ADVERTISEMENT

House of Dragon

It's well done, but I'm having a hard time really staying into it .... I don't know if there's a single likable character in it now. I'm sure Rhaenyra will become likable again. At this point though every single character in the show is kind of whiny and weak except the crippled dude that just killed his family. That kind of came out of left field.

I watched the post-show discussion (on HBO, right after the episode), and they said that the audience should have expected everything to go south if they were followers of GOT/GRRM. Shit hits the fan at all of his big weddings.

Some interesting characters to watch going forward.

Lord Lyonel Strong: New Hand of the King

Sir Harwin Strong: Lyonel's son. He is the big dude who took charge and broke up the brawl at the wedding

Larys Strong: Lyonel's club footed son. He is going to be a lot like a combination of Varys and Littlefinger. He will use his lameness/weakness to appear to be non-threatening (like Varys did with being a eunuch), and get information that his father/brother can not get due to being perceived as threats. As we saw last night, he is also cunning and manipulative when it comes to what to do with information (like Littlefinger).

Larys is interesting. I don't think he's nearly as cunning and certainly not a subtle as Varies or littlefinger. Not sure what his angle is yet either, just a crush on the queen? His drive doesn't seem to be power like littlefinger's was.

Seems closest to wormtongue from Lord of the rings.

It was VERY dense. That’s the problem w the time jumps. They need to basically catch you up on what everyone is doing and then set the stage for the rest of the story. That’s been my biggest at complaint of the series. Hopefully it slows down now.

My first reaction is they should have done a complete first season in the initial time period with a little more fleshed out story and then done the time jump and recast to season two.

Reactions: kruxter and SSS!!!
My first reaction is they should have done a complete first season in the initial time period with a little more fleshed out story and then done the time jump and recast to season two.
I kind of like the way they did it. If I had to wait a whole season in between, I think I would have been very confused as to who was who and what their character did during the prior season.

Larys is interesting. I don't think he's nearly as cunning and certainly not a subtle as Varies or littlefinger. Not sure what his angle is yet either, just a crush on the queen? His drive doesn't seem to be power like littlefinger's was.

Seems closest to wormtongue from Lord of the rings.
We shall see. Didn't his actions elevate him from less than human to one of the more powerful Lords in Westeros?

We shall see. Didn't his actions elevate him from less than human to one of the more powerful Lords in Westeros?

That is true, though I don't know if that was the goal of his actions or he could have had them killed off years ago.

Two little screen time so far to figure out who he truly is I guess.

That is true, though I don't know if that was the goal of his actions or he could have had them killed off years ago.

Two little screen time so far to figure out who he truly is I guess.
They haven’t fleshed out Larys enough at all. I thought he was a legit schemer (ala Littlefinger), but now he seems like a crazy, wild card. But again, we don’t know bc his character screen time is very light.

Reactions: Cowpoke
Let's see:

Viserys is old AF but I think he's still smart. His body is failing him.
Queen Hightower: Total Bit**....You can tell she was poisoned in her mind in her youth with the whole Heir to the throne business. Her actions are going to get her killed, since she keeps making impulsive decisions (like burning Harrenhal to the ground).
Rhaenyra: A little shocked that her and her husband didn't actually make babies (even though he likes dudes), I assumed the "job" was to make babies, not bastard children (which the Queen is exploiting). Rhaenyra also feels very chilled out and more family oriented than being a smartass teenager.
Daemon: Seems like a lost soul. I think he likes his wife, but not really...Weird reaction when she couldn't have the baby and just set herself on fire. He's free again, Rhaenyra reunion coming?

Next episode seems to be well setup.

Another time jump incoming. What is it? About 7-9 years? I'm guessing the husband not dying veers from the books?

Man that was quite the scene. Was a fairly slow at first, but man that major scene was crazy. Has anyone taken such a heel turn as Ser Christian Cole?? Damn that dude is a turd. This is like Succession set in Westeros. They all are horrible people, you just have to pick which side you want to be on haha.

Reactions: CowboyJD
I'm a little disappointed. Had some great stuff but not as good as I thought it was going to be.

Next episode looks promising.
Yeah I’m the same way. Definitely could have been better. Man, Viserys had better days. That poor guy.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Daemon is a crazy dude, but he rides for the brand! I loved his look to Aemond at the end too. Some mutual understanding going on there.

Thought it was the best episode to this point. It's also crazy how bad Viserys looked before he died (assuming). I 'feel' like he was slowly poisoned but those abrasions all over his body could've been infected or something causing this also.

Daemon siding with Rhaenyra was probably the best decision for all of them.

Wondering if Aemond ends up killing his cousins at some point....

Thought it was the best episode to this point. It's also crazy how bad Viserys looked before he died (assuming). I 'feel' like he was slowly poisoned but those abrasions all over his body could've been infected or something causing this also.

Paddy Constantine absolutely nailed that episode. I know it’s a ton of CGI but still. The scene of him dragging himself to the throne was incredible. Supposedly Matt Smith ad libbed the part of picking up his crown for him. That’s a quintessential Daemon move and they pulled it off great.

I don’t know who Aemond is going to kill but I’m going to guess it’s a lot of people, and yeah probably at least one cousin/family member.

Also, just saw where George said this will be 4 seasons. I love it.

Paddy Constantine absolutely nailed that episode. I know it’s a ton of CGI but still. The scene of him dragging himself to the throne was incredible. Supposedly Matt Smith ad libbed the part of picking up his crown for him. That’s a quintessential Daemon move and they pulled it off great.

I don’t know who Aemond is going to kill but I’m going to guess it’s a lot of people, and yeah probably at least one cousin/family member.

Also, just saw where George said this will be 4 seasons. I love it.
Daemon gets a bad wrap but he seems very family oriented now compared to the first couple of episodes...You can see he pities his brother and his niece...Well....We know all that. The fact he stepped in the middle of Aemon and Lucerys tells a lot of his alliances to Rhaenyra.

Def interested in the next episode.

Reactions: SSS!!!

In the written version of the stories, GRRM makes it clear that The Iron Throne basically rejected Viserys, and that he cut himself on it with regularity. Often the cuts became infected, and he was constantly debilitated as a result.

• Wow
Reactions: Pokes1988
In the written version of the stories, GRRM makes it clear that The Iron Throne basically rejected Viserys, and that he cut himself on it with regularity. Often the cuts became infected, and he was constantly debilitated as a result.
They have a shout out to this in Ep1. He cuts his pinky after kicking Daemon out (for the first time😂) that leads to him losing his fingers.

They have a shout out to this in Ep1. He cuts his pinky after kicking Daemon out (for the first time😂) that leads to him losing his fingers.
Right, but they don't develop that aspect of the story after that episode. They just show him continuing to lose body parts. Which might be interpreted as him having a poor immune system, being slowly poisoned, etc.

Right, but they don't develop that aspect of the story after that episode. They just show him continuing to lose body parts. Which might be interpreted as him having a poor immune system, being slowly poisoned, etc.
For sure. For some reason they decided to make it pointedly unknown as to what’s causing it. Not sure why.

Reactions: Been Jammin
That final scene was wild. She finally got her moment. Should have ended it right there though!
Well, technically they are all family, so I bet that had something to do with it.

Crazy episode though!

Really thought Aegon was going to kill himself when the dagger was presented to him in the carriage on the way to his anointing. I thought Aemon was going to kill his brother and blame it on those dudes that were searching for him, pushing him to the throne as the next heir in line.

Hate that there wasn't any Rhaenyra or Daemon in this episode, I do wonder what they're up to at this point, surely they've heard whispers but maybe that for the next episode.

I just dawned on my that the guy who plays Otto Hightower is the drunken kicker from the Replacements lol.

Hate that all these series are on at the same time...WTF am I suppose to do now?

One thing weird about this show is that you have these huge time jumps in between some episodes but then the episodes are all only one or two days a piece. So Rhaenyra and Daemon probably haven’t even gotten back to Dragon Stone yet by the time this episode is over. So they most definitely have no idea this is all going on. Which is wild to think about.

So Rhaenyra and Daemon probably haven’t even gotten back to Dragon Stone yet by the time this episode is over.
At first I was thinking you were wrong because it wouldn't take more than a few hours for a dragon to fly from KL to DS. Then I remembered that they were travelling by ship, so you are probably right. I don't know if the travel time has been documented, but it makes sense that it would take at least 24 hours (depending on weather conditions). So, they will be home by the time Rhaenys arrives, but won't have been home for long.

At first I was thinking you were wrong because it wouldn't take more than a few hours for a dragon to fly from KL to DS. Then I remembered that they were travelling by ship, so you are probably right. I don't know if the travel time has been documented, but it makes sense that it would take at least 24 hours (depending on weather conditions). So, they will be home by the time Rhaenys arrives, but won't have been home for long.

Somebody, of course, calculated it actually. Haha!

My wife likes it more then GOT. I am just waiting on Snow. I hope it is just as good. I loved the Jon and Ghost chapters in the books and felt like the dragon cgi always won out on GOT.

I loved the last episode and of course she can't kill him, or the show ends right. Big wow moment though.

That should be a mid-season finale, not a season finale.
I disagree. This was the perfect ending (completely subjective haha). This season was the lead up to the Dance of Dragons. “Then the storm broke, and the Dragons Danced.” The war crimes she’s about to commit will be wild.

I disagree. This was the perfect ending (completely subjective haha). This season was the lead up to the Dance of Dragons. “Then the storm broke, and the Dragons Danced.” The war crimes she’s about to commit will be wild.
Yeah, but I don’t want to wait a full year for the next moves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT