ADVERTISEMENT

First RPI

april racer

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2011
I saw this posted over on PSU board, I was not able to locate it.

OSU wrestlers:
125: Klimara 7
133: GWH 22
141: Heil 16
149: none-must have 17 matches to be ranked and Kindig is short. He will get them.
157: Collica 11
165: AD 1
174: Crutchmer 8
184: Boyd 7
197; none
285: Marsden 2

This post was edited on 2/20 5:27 PM by april racer

RPI

We hope he will get two more matches. I would say doubtful he is in the Carolina's this weekend.

I forgot about him tweaking something against PSU. Still I'm not worried about him qualifying for nationals.

Originally posted by april racer:
I saw this posted over on PSU board, I was not able to locate it.

OSU wrestlers:
125: Klimara 7
133: GWH 22
141: Heil 16
149: none-must have 17 matches to be ranked and Kindig is short. He will get them.
157: Collica 11
165: AD 1
174: Crutchmer 8
184: Boyd 7
197; none
285: Marsden 2

This post was edited on 2/20 5:27 PM by april racer
Am I missing something or are some of these better than expected?

SOS plays a large role in it and we've had a really hard schedule, probably the hardest so far. That will probably change after this weekend.

Here's a link to it. It was buried on The Open Mat and I never would have noticed it if Buf hadn't given me a heads up. I'm not sure why it was a week late this year but I wonder if it wasn't due to how poorly results have been entered into Track this year compared to the NWCA Scorebook in years past. I really hope this makes them go back to the scorebook, it was an amazing resource.

I took a look at where everybody in the Big XII stands and this is what I'm thinking baring anything crazy happening this weekend. "In" means a wrestler should be Gold or Silver when that is announced next week, "Borderline" means they might hit Gold/Silver depending on how they do weekend, and "Out" means it is very unlikely they'll hit that standard. Oklahoma hasn't updated their stats page since 2012. So I had to make some guesses on whether any of them will hit the >0.700 leg.

In: Eddie Klimara (OSU), Zeke Moisey (WVU)
Borderline: Ryan Milhoff (OU)
Out: Kyle Larson (ISU)

In: Earl Hall (ISU), Cody Brewer (OU)
Borderline: None
Out: Gary Wayne Harding (OSU), Cory Stainbrook (WVU)

In: Micheal Morales (WVU), Dean Heil (OSU)
Borderline: Dante Rodriguez (ISU)
Out: Trae Blackwell (OU)

In: Gabe Moreno (ISU), Josh Kindig (OSU)
Out: Shayne Tucker (OU), James Dekrone (WVU)

In: Anthony Collica (OSU), Justin DeAngelis (OU)
Out: Luke Goettl (ISU), Brutus Scheffel (WVU)

In: Micheal Moreno (ISU), Alex Dieringer (OSU)
Borderline: Clark Glass (OU)
Out: Ross Renzi (WVU)

In: Tanner Weatherman (ISU), Kyle Crutchmer (OSU)
Borderline: Matt Reed (OU)
Out: Parker VonEgidy (WVU)

In: Lelund Weatherspoon (ISU), Nolan Boyd (OSU)
Out: Brook Climmons (OU), Bubba Scheffel (WVU)

In: Kyven Gadson (ISU), Jake Smith (WVU)
Out: Luke Bean (OSU), Andrew Dixon (OU)

HWT
In: Austin Marsden (OSU), Ross Larson (OU)
Out: Quean Smith (ISU), AJ Vizcarrondo (WVU)

RPI

Jud, I can't remember what it takes to make gold/silver. Gold 3 out of 3 of ranking, rpi and winning percentage? Silver 2of 3? I was thinking it was something along those lines. If so I would think Harding would make it with rpi and ranking. I have feelng my I'm missing something though.

Silver is two out of three, gold is three out of three. Right now I'm operating under the assumption that Big XII wrestlers who meet Silver/Gold earn an allocation that is then put back into the at-large pool when the Big XII schools don't show up at the Western Regional. I don't know if that is correct but it seems reasonable given what little information is out there. So what really matters is whether or not a wrestler reaches Bronze status post-conference tournaments (since any wrestler who reaches Bronze is eligible for at large consideration). But guys who have Silver/Gold should be first in line for the at large spots just due to the nature of the at large selection process. I posted a better breakdown of what the three legs are on ISU's SBNation site when the first coaches panel came out.

1st coaches panel released

Here's the secondary criteria list. No matter what else goes on, this is what all the Big XII wrestlers will be looking at for the at large selections.

Secondary Criteria
On March 9, wrestlers in each weight class will receive an updated Win %, RPI and coaches' ranking that includes all competition through the qualifying events. Wrestlers who meet or exceed any two of the following criteria will be labeled "Bronze Standard":
> D1 .700 Win %Top 33 RPITop 33 CR>.700 winning percentage against all competitionOne win against a wrestler receiving automatic qualification via an earned position (pre-allocated)Qualifying event placement one below automatic qualification
Once the pool of at large eligible wrestlers are determined, this is what the committee considers for their selection
Head-to-head competition — 25 percent
Quality wins — 20 percentResults against common opponents — 10 percent RPI — 10 percentQualifying event placement — 10 percentCR — 10 percentWin % — 10 percentNumber of matches contested at that weight class — 5 percent

That last one in the first list is part of why I wish there was more information available about how exactly the selection committee is treating the Big XII tournament this year. For example: At HWT there are two guys who would have received automatic qualification in a normal year. If Quean Smith takes third, is he considered to have a "qualifying event placement one below automatic qualification" He has a top 33 RPI but doesn't meet any of the other legs. So the answer to that question determines whether or not he is eligible to be considered for an at-large spot. Obviously in this example he'd be unlikely to get selected anyway. But right now we don't even know if he'd be under consideration.

I have a similar question for the second to last bullet. Since no one in the Big XII will receive automatic qualification, does that mean that no wins over a Big XII wrestler are quality wins? For example, Dante Rodriguez beat Mike Morales in the ISU-WVU dual meet. Will that be considered a quality win for the purposes of meeting the Bronze standard?

This post was edited on 2/21 2:06 PM by jud0ka

Kindig did not make the trip to Carolina so that leaves the Big 12 to get his two matches in for RPI.

Kindig doesn't need an RPI. He is 4th in the current coaches poll, and no way would he drop out of it when the new one comes out next week, and he has a 0.857 win percentage against D1 opponents. So he'll be "Silver" and get an allocation (er, an increase to the at large pool) that way.

I made some changes based on this weekend.

At 125: No change. Milhoff is probably closer to "out" than "in" but he does have a chance

At 133: I'd upgrade Gary Wayne Harding from "out" to
"borderline". He went 2-0 with wins over the #25 and #30 guys from the
last coaches panel. There's a very decent chance his coaches panel
ranking will move up enough to get him Silver. He's closer to "in" than
"out". And those wins also gave him a decent shot at a traditional at
large bid if he does end up not hitting Silver/Gold.

At 141: Dante Rodriguez moved from "borderline" to "in'.

At 149: No change.

At 157: No change

At 165: No change. Glass did get a pin in his only match since
the last coaches panel came out. But it was against an unranked guy.
He's still borderline. Closer to "in" than "out" though.

At 174: No change. Reed is fine in the coaches panel but his
RPI is low. He's closer to "out" than "in" but probably has a decent
shot at a traditional at large bid.

At 184: No change.

At 197: No change.

At HWT: No change.

I'm thinking for Silver/Gold status (which normally would mean earning an allocation but this is year is weird)

ISU: 7, outside chance at 8

OSU: 8, good chance at 9

OU: 3, though I think Reed has a good chance at one of the 4 traditional at large spots.

WVU: 3

Twenty-one Silver/Gold. And I think the Big XII will end up with 23
wrestlers at NCAAs once all is said and done. That is under the
assumption that the at-large pool will increase by the number of
Gold/Silver Big XII wrestlers. If they only have 4 at large spots like
usual then that number will be lower.

Jud, just noticed Moreno pinned I Jordan. Nice win on senior night!! How did the match go, was it close before the pin?

Also noticed Jake Smith pinned Bonacorrsi.

2-1 first period. Jordan had a takedown about halfway through and Moreno got right out. Jordan chose down in the second and Moreno rode him hard for about a minute fifteen. Then on a restart Jordan tried a standup and Moreno sucked him back and eventually settled in to a Saturday night ride for the pin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT