ADVERTISEMENT

Disturbing recruiting Info

Old Number Nine

Starter
Jan 20, 2005
I was looking at recruiting this morning on D1 College Wrestling and what I found was disturbing, to say the least, and I have a few questions. Here's what I found for the last five recruiting years:

Penn State; 9 top ten recruits; 1,2,3,3,3,4,5,7,8
Ohio State; 8 top tens; 1,1,1,6,6,7,9,10
OSU; 4 top tens; 2,4,8,10 (this includes Austin Ormsbee who bugged out on us)
Cornel; 4 top tens; 3,5,6,7
Illinois; 4 top tens; 5,7,9,9
Michigan; 3 top tens; 2,2,4
Northwestern; 3 top tens; 1,3,6

There are a couple with 2s and a bunch with 1s including Iowa, Iowa State and Minnesota. OU didn't make the cut. If you throw out Ormsbee that would put us 7th for the last for the last 5 years in recruiting (2,4,10).

The questions I have are: #1; How can Penn State and Ohio State keep these wrestlers in scholarships? #2; Why has Ohio State not done better at the NCAA? #3; How are we ever going to compete if Penn State continues to get all of the best from Penn and Ohio gets the best from Ohio.

13 PA, 6 NJ, 5 CA, 4 OH, 4 MI, 2 IL, 2 MA, 2 WI, 2 NY, 1 SD, 1 ID, 1 IN, 1 WA, 1 IA, 1 FL, 1 VA, 1 MO, 1 TX

In these five years there have been 13 top ten recruits from PA and PSU has gotten 7 of them and all the top recruits from PA except Marstellar. There have been 5 top tens Ohio recruits and Ohio State has gotten all of them. The 6 NJs and 5 CAs were spread out fairly well but 3 of 4 MIs when to Michigan (seems like they should be doing better). There has been only one from Iowa (going to Iowa) and none from Oklahoma with one the lone Texan going to Penn State.

This post was edited on 5/19 10:07 AM by Old Number Nine

These are valid concerns. Top 10 recruits seem to be the strongest determining factor in winning national championships. In 2005 and 2006, the Oklahoma State roster had 8 top 10 recruits.

Q #1: Penn St is understandably the hot program having the coach with the most impact with today's recruits. They are able to keep PA kids that PSU inexplicably couldn't keep before, while still cherry picking a few from CA and TX. Ohio St also has done a better job of keeping top recruits at home while cherry picking from neighboring PA. With promising possibilities of competing for titles, they get kid to stay close to home for less scholarship money allowing room for more top tier recruits.

Q #2: We will see Ohio St do better at the NCAA this year. If my thinking is right, 6 of their 8 will be SOPH or younger this season. The same is true for Michigan (although they are still a couple of pieces from being title contenders).

Q #3: Oklahoma will not have the amount of talent as Ohio and Pennsylvania. However, OSU needs the state to produce more. I don't think it has to be 1 or 2 top 10 recruits a year. Our program is capable of getting a couple of high caliber out of state recruits nearly every year. Back to 2005 and 2006, only one of those 8 on the roster was from Oklahoma (Hendricks). But, we need in-state recruits to fill in the gaps. Whether they are top 10 or not, I believe Joe Smith, Brock, Boo, the Moore bros, Pup Simmons etc are those type guys. The last 10 years (except 2009) haven't had very many of these type of recruits. Getting Boo Lewallan to start this class is a really big deal in my opinion.
This post was edited on 5/19 2:18 PM by proud2bpokes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT