ADVERTISEMENT

#4 OK State Vs. #5 Missouri

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
125 #10 Barlow McGee v. #5 Eddie Klimara Prediction: Klimara by Maj. Dec. 4-0- OK State
133 #10 Zach Synon vs. Gary Wayne Harding NR dec. by Synon 4-3 OK State
141 #5 Matt Manley vs. #1 Dean Heil Dec. by Heil 7-3 OK State
149 #4 Lavion Mayes vs. #18 Anthony Collica Dec.by Mayes 7-6 OK State
157 Luke Fortuna nr vs. #6 Joe Smith Major dec by Smith 11-6 OK State
165 Daniel Lewis nr vs.#1 Alex Dierenger fall by Dierenger 17-6 OK State
174 #8 Blaise Butler vs. #5 Kyle Crutchmer dec. by Crutchmer 19-6 OK State
184 #4 Willie Miklus vs. #16 Nolan Boyd Major dec. by Miklus 19-10 OK State
197 #2 J'den Cox vs. Marsden/ Weigel nr fallby Cox 19-16 OK State
285 James Romero nr vs. #5 Austin Marsden fall by Marsden 25-16 OK State

This dual will be a close match IMO and it is not out of the realm of possibility we could lose it but if we wrestle like the last two matches I believe it will go about as shown above.We could lose by a major at 133 and Manley is good enough to decision Heil but not likely. Nolan Boyd has a very tough match against Willie Miklus who I do not believe has lost to an OK State wrestler and if he can keep it under a major decision it will be a victory for him. I believe sure falls exist for both Dierenger and Cox and I am nominating Austin Marsden to get a fall at heavyweight. A wrong move by Crutchmer at 174 could result in an upset there but Kyle has shown an aversion to being taken down and a proclivity to garner a takedown to win.

125 #10 Barlow McGee v. #5 Eddie Klimara Prediction: Klimara by Maj. Dec. 4-0- OK State
133 #10 Zach Synon vs. Gary Wayne Harding NR dec. by Synon 4-3 OK State
141 #5 Matt Manley vs. #1 Dean Heil Dec. by Heil 7-3 OK State
149 #4 Lavion Mayes vs. #18 Anthony Collica Dec.by Mayes 7-6 OK State
157 Luke Fortuna nr vs. #6 Joe Smith Major dec by Smith 11-6 OK State
165 Daniel Lewis nr vs.#1 Alex Dierenger fall by Dierenger 17-6 OK State
174 #8 Blaise Butler vs. #5 Kyle Crutchmer dec. by Crutchmer 19-6 OK State
184 #4 Willie Miklus vs. #16 Nolan Boyd Major dec. by Miklus 19-10 OK State
197 #2 J'den Cox vs. Marsden/ Weigel nr fallby Cox 19-16 OK State
285 James Romero nr vs. #5 Austin Marsden fall by Marsden 25-16 OK State

This dual will be a close match IMO and it is not out of the realm of possibility we could lose it but if we wrestle like the last two matches I believe it will go about as shown above.We could lose by a major at 133 and Manley is good enough to decision Heil but not likely. Nolan Boyd has a very tough match against Willie Miklus who I do not believe has lost to an OK State wrestler and if he can keep it under a major decision it will be a victory for him. I believe sure falls exist for both Dierenger and Cox and I am nominating Austin Marsden to get a fall at heavyweight. A wrong move by Crutchmer at 174 could result in an upset there but Kyle has shown an aversion to being taken down and a proclivity to garner a takedown to win.
I will take the hit for that one SHP as he is indeed ranked and Flo ranks him as #9 and I am sure all of the other ranking services have him ranked and he will be a great wrestler in the future. His ranking however does not change my prediction in any way as he will still succumb to Dierenger who stands alone in this weight class. A look at other ranking services shows that Daniel Lewis is ranked #5 by Intermat, #6 by AWN and #10 by Open Mat. My apologies to Mr. Lewis.

Last edited:
A victory over Missouri would be sweet. Aren't they on a super long consecutive winning streak?
Yes, something like 35 consecutive dual victories. A victory over mizzou woukd really help with making it to the finals of the dual championship series. We would still be behind NC St, but they still have mizzou as well. We need each of the three to have 1 loss.

MT. PLEASANT, Mich. – Mizzou Wrestling (9-0, 6-0) won its 37th consecutive dual Sunday afternoon as the No. 4-ranked Tigers took down No. 19 Central Michigan (5-2, 2-1), 26-9, in Mt. Pleasant, Mich. Mizzou will face another ranked team in its next contest, Friday Jan. 22 at No. 5-ranked Oklahoma State. The dual from Stillwater, Okla. Is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. CT.

It certainly looks like a tight dual all the way around. I will say that I'm encouraged by GWH's showing this past weekend and he beat Synon last year. That would be a big win if he can repeat the result!

I thought GWH got out-horsed some last year, that he was small for the weight. I liked the way he wrestled and hoped for even better this year. If he's healthy and grown into the weight some, he could do well.

It certainly looks like a tight dual all the way around. I will say that I'm encouraged by GWH's showing this past weekend and he beat Synon last year. That would be a big win if he can repeat the result!
In a nod to SHP's Dual ImpactIndex the matchups according him are:
125 Klimara #6 vs. Barlow McGee #8
133 GWH #19 vs. Synon #8
141 Heil #1 vs. Matt Manley #4
149 A. Collica #13 vs. Lavion Ma;yes #3
157 Joe Smith #3 Leroy Barnes #23( Amazingly Smith is ranked ahead of Martinez who is ranked #4)
165 Alex Dierenger #1 vs.Daniel Lewis #2 (Yes, #2 another ranking skewed but you see why SHP was quick to jump on my error.)
174 Kyle Crutchmer #4 vs. Blaise Butler #6
184 Nolan Boyd #16 or Jordan Rogers #14 vs. Willie Miklus #2
197 Andrew Marsden #39 or Preston Weigel #36 vs. J'Den Cox #3
285 Austin Marsden #7 vs. James Romero #68

In fairness to SHP the rankings will not be as skewed as the season progresses.
That means by these rankings we would be favored in six weights and Missouri in four. Bonus points IMO will be in play at 157,165,184,197 and 285 with Smith Dierenger and Marsden for OK State and Miklus and Cox for Missouri.

Reactions: SetonHallPirate
In a nod to SHP's Dual ImpactIndex the matchups according him are:
125 Klimara #6 vs. Barlow McGee #8
133 GWH #19 vs. Synon #8
141 Heil #1 vs. Matt Manley #4
149 A. Collica #13 vs. Lavion Ma;yes #3
157 Joe Smith #3 Leroy Barnes #23( Amazingly Smith is ranked ahead of Martinez who is ranked #4)
165 Alex Dierenger #1 vs.Daniel Lewis #2 (Yes, #2 another ranking skewed but you see why SHP was quick to jump on my error.)
174 Kyle Crutchmer #4 vs. Blaise Butler #6
184 Nolan Boyd #16 or Jordan Rogers #14 vs. Willie Miklus #2
197 Andrew Marsden #39 or Preston Weigel #36 vs. J'Den Cox #3
285 Austin Marsden #7 vs. James Romero #68

In fairness to SHP the rankings will not be as skewed as the season progresses.
That means by these rankings we would be favored in six weights and Missouri in four. Bonus points IMO will be in play at 157,165,184,197 and 285 with Smith Dierenger and Marsden for OK State and Miklus and Cox for Missouri.
Imar's ranking is hurt (badly) by a terrible strength of schedule, to the point where the highest full-time starter (read: has wrestled multiple duals so far this season) with an SOS worse than him is Devan Marry (Eastern Michigan) at 43rd. As far as Daniel Lewis, his only losses so far are to Bo Jordan (who actually has a higher rating than 'Ringer, but is one match short at the weight of being eligible for the rankings) and David McFadden (obviously an upset), and has some decent, albeit not spectacular, wins (most notably Duke Pickett twice, and Clark Glass). While I feel like his "margin-of-error", so to speak, is probably pretty high, the fact that he's a pinner (Most Falls/Least Time in Vegas) also helps him in this rating, where bonus points do matter.

Imar's ranking is hurt (badly) by a terrible strength of schedule, to the point where the highest full-time starter (read: has wrestled multiple duals so far this season) with an SOS worse than him is Devan Marry (Eastern Michigan) at 43rd. As far as Daniel Lewis, his only losses so far are to Bo Jordan (who actually has a higher rating than 'Ringer, but is one match short at the weight of being eligible for the rankings) and David McFadden (obviously an upset), and has some decent, albeit not spectacular, wins (most notably Duke Pickett twice, and Clark Glass). While I feel like his "margin-of-error", so to speak, is probably pretty high, the fact that he's a pinner (Most Falls/Least Time in Vegas) also helps him in this rating, where bonus points do matter.
SHP, what do you base SOS on? Is it a particular ranking, composite of rankings, previous finishes...?

SHP, IMAR and Joe have wrestled head to head and IMAR won handily. There is one glaring "margin of Error.
By your statistics Bo Jordan has a higher rating than Dierenger which is another glaring Margin of error. If you find honest wrestling fans that believe Bo Jordan should be ranked higher than Dierenger I would be shocked. The fact someone is a pinner matters only in your system or I should say matters that much. Both Lewis and Jordan are pinners but what really matters is who scores the most points when they meet head up. On he other hand anyone can be pinned if they make a bad mistake and that includes Dierenger. Your system is one way to look at things but overall I believe it is flawed. That is my opinion only and you should be congratulated on your diligence and statistical genius.

SHP, what do you base SOS on? Is it a particular ranking, composite of rankings, previous finishes...?
Average of the opponent's ratings in the Dual Impact Index (current week, as in, in real time).

obe, I agree, it's not perfect...but it does provide another (and a different) look. But I'll admit, iMar should be ahead of Joe.

Reactions: oberebo
Average of the opponent's ratings in the Dual Impact Index (current week, as in, in real time).

obe, I agree, it's not perfect...but it does provide another (and a different) look. But I'll admit, iMar should be ahead of Joe.
So do you have an SOS to start the year? If you are using your ranking for SOS where does the initial SOS come from?

My take on Friday's dual.

125: Klimara dec McGhee 10-4
133: Synon dec Harding 6-4 in SV1
141: Heil dec Manley 8-2
149: Collica dec Mayes 7-5 in SV1
157: Smith dec Barnes 10-4
165: Dieringer mdec 15-8
174: Crutchmer dec Butler 7-5
184: Miklus dec Boyd 9-6
197: Cox mdec Marsden 15-5
285: Marsden mdec Romero 12-5

I think 133 and 149 could go either way. Depending on what the score is after 184, J'den Cox could wrestle at 285 to keep Marsden from getting a bonus point, it could get interesting. But I see the pokes breaking Missou's win streak.

Final score 23-10

adegre, I really like your Lineup Comparison, it's great and seeing as how I'm not doing any of the work on it, here are a couple of things that I think would make it better.

When listing the wrestler's records; after the head-to-head match-ups, I think you should list the rest of the matches by the date of the most resent match against the common opponent.

Or, you could list them by common opponent's ranking; I'm assuming you've listed they're current ranking. Rank at the time of the match would be better, or both.

Or just alphabetically, or you could give us the ability to switch between all of these.

Yeah, that's the ticket... now I have to get back to work.

My take on Friday's dual.

125: Klimara dec McGhee 10-4
133: Synon dec Harding 6-4 in SV1
141: Heil dec Manley 8-2
149: Collica dec Mayes 7-5 in SV1
157: Smith dec Barnes 10-4
165: Dieringer mdec 15-8
174: Crutchmer dec Butler 7-5
184: Miklus dec Boyd 9-6
197: Cox mdec Marsden 15-5
285: Marsden mdec Romero 12-5

I think 133 and 149 could go either way. Depending on what the score is after 184, J'den Cox could wrestle at 285 to keep Marsden from getting a bonus point, it could get interesting. But I see the pokes breaking Missou's win streak.

Final score 23-10
PJ, I like your predictions and not to nit pick but your scores at 165 and 285 are not major decisions. Both are 7 point wins. I will take that margin of victory any day. I do believe that Joe Smith will get a major also.

PJ, I like your predictions and not to nit pick but your scores at 165 and 285 are not major decisions. Both are 7 point wins. I will take that margin of victory any day. I do believe that Joe Smith will get a major also.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA
This is precisely what happens when you're on your work computer hunkered low because the boss is around and you don't want to get caught "not working".

well then lets make it 16-8 for Ringer and 12-4 for Marsden

Jordan beat Lewis 6-4. He is a very big 165 as is his brother at 141. they're talking him beating Alex. Snyder did not look that great in his heavyweight debut. I don't see the buckeyes repeating even if their are really talking it up. Mizzou handled them as did Michigan. I think we beat Mizzou in a tight match, they have bumped Cox to hwt in a couple of duals this season. Sorry about the Buckeye talk on this thread, their repeating talk just chaps me a little.

My predictions for Mizzou...

125: Klimara dec McGhee...it may be close as Eddie seems to "tighten" up when challenged.
133: Synon dec Harding...hopefully Harding continues his improvement and eeks out a win, but I would bet on Synon.
141: Heil dec Manley...Heil is simply like novocain, give him his time, he always works.
149: Mayes dec Collica...but this could go the other way. My most anticipated match.
157: Smith maj Barnes...I think we start to see Joe amp things up.
165: Dieringer tech/fall...the man is on fire right now.
174: Crutchmer dec Butler...but who knows? If Crutch could fire off a TD early and complete his typical last second TD/period...he cruises.
184: Miklus dec Boyd...it would be nice to see Boyd continue to improve, I am excited about this as well.
197: Cox mdec Marsden...could be a tech. Marsden is fun, but Cox is proven.
285: Marsden dec Romero...should be slow.

Reactions: osu2082
Should be a lot of fun!! Mizzouri is on a roll and you gotta tip your hat to coach smith. He's really brought a lot of energy and excitement to this program, as of late with his new motto "TigerStyle".

McGhee is good, dudes an excellent athlete. Klimara is the favorite but I wouldn't be surprised either way. Harding/synon will be interesting, nearly a 50/50 match either way.

Heil will beat Manley but it'll be another tough test for him from another top 5 opponent. I used to wrestle with Barnes (mizzou 157). He's gonna be small for this weight I'd imagine seeing how he was a 33-41 the last couple years. He's very slick on his feet but tough match against Mr Smith. Smith by major, too much for him to handle.

Alex has a tough match but he'll take care of business like usual. Prob one of his harder match up though considering the strength and athleticism from Lewis.

Crutch and Butler is gonna be a battle. I say another toss up match because you have no clue which Crutchmer your gonna get. Tends to rise in big occasions so I give us a small edge.

Tough match for Boyd. Miklus will most likely get the win but Boyd will be ready to wrestle, I promise. He may not full of talent but he makes up with it with perseverance, metal toughness and a a lot of confidence about him that allows him to wrestle these better guys.

Marsden is gonna be smashed like a little step child. Though he will try his usual upper body attempts which I like cuz you can't outscore cox but maybe you catch him.

Marsden- snoozer most likely but should win.

Last edited:
Reactions: chasepollard
You must be talking about a different team/coach than I have seen as Missouri is the most conservative least offensive team in the top 20 or has been for years. That is why they do not do well at nationals as Smith(Henson style)has stressed a defensive style with very little offense for years now. We have wrestled very well of late and if we stay with what we have shown since the scuffle we should beat Missouri by 7-10 points. I do not know much about a few of the Missouri wrestlers but looking at rankings and records there are certainly a few toss ups, but 165 is not one of them. Everyone is saying Marsden at 197 but it would not surprise me if John goes with Weigel at 197 to try to keep it close with his strength.
Should be a great match with the Cowboys getting the W in GIA.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they light the scoreboard up, just that he's brought a lot of excitement to the program with the success they've had over the last couple years.

pokefan, I completely agree with 197. Cox is not a guy who always goes out and pushes the pace trying to score. Sending Weigel out to stay in good position is the right call from the perspective of trying to win the dual. Marsden is a terrible match-up here, but we may see him anyway if it has been decided that it is his spot for the rest of the year.

I will say, having watched a few Missouri matches on espn3 this year that they are more active than they have been in past years. They still aren't exactly fun to watch. If we have done any scouting work at all, GWH will be doing everything he can to stay out of Synon's double under hook series. If he can do that, he will win. If we wrestle well, this dual won't be overly close. However, we have to bring the A game up and down the line-up or we could get beat.

adegre, I really like your Lineup Comparison, it's great and seeing as how I'm not doing any of the work on it, here are a couple of things that I think would make it better.

When listing the wrestler's records; after the head-to-head match-ups, I think you should list the rest of the matches by the date of the most resent match against the common opponent.

Or, you could list them by common opponent's ranking; I'm assuming you've listed they're current ranking. Rank at the time of the match would be better, or both.

Or just alphabetically, or you could give us the ability to switch between all of these.

Yeah, that's the ticket... now I have to get back to work.
I actually had them listed by date descending for about 2 days, but it was very hard to compare the common opponents. They are sorted by name so you can eyeball the same opponent on both sides for a quicker glance.

This wasn't an issue the past two seasons because WrestleStat only showed the current seasons match results at the time. Now that WrestleStat is showing CAREER results, those common opponent lists are getting quite large, and I agree, harder to read. I'm not sure what the best format would be for this view...

So do you have an SOS to start the year? If you are using your ranking for SOS where does the initial SOS come from?
Everybody starts fresh at the start of the year. Until I run the first ranking, there is no SOS, because there's no ranking to run it off of.

Everybody starts fresh at the start of the year. Until I run the first ranking, there is no SOS, because there's no ranking to run it off of.
Sorry to keep going, but I'm curious. Do you rank without SOS first and then factor in the SOS after you have the ranking?

april, they're sort of done simultaneously. The first "cycle", so to speak, is done without the strength of schedule, and then the strength of schedule "offset" from that first cycle is calculated, until finding the number that fits both so they intersect. (there is probably a better way to explain it, but I'm at a loss)

I actually had them listed by date descending for about 2 days, but it was very hard to compare the common opponents. They are sorted by name so you can eyeball the same opponent on both sides for a quicker glance.

This wasn't an issue the past two seasons because WrestleStat only showed the current seasons match results at the time. Now that WrestleStat is showing CAREER results, those common opponent lists are getting quite large, and I agree, harder to read. I'm not sure what the best format would be for this view...
Is there any way to give an option of displaying just season and career? Thanks! (there's a specific reason I ask)

Is there any way to give an option of displaying just season and career? Thanks! (there's a specific reason I ask)
I could probably add a little checkbox/toggle option on the comparison pages to show/hide results that aren't from the current season, but that will take me some time to get working. I have other things that I need to get done first, before this happens.

Sounds good. Generally, the date I use that (repeatedly) is the Monday after all the conference tournaments are done. Thanks for all the hard work you put in for our great sport!

Reactions: andegre
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT