ADVERTISEMENT

3 Matches this weekend

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
Weekend starts Friday at 1PM CT with dual at Air Force. Two ranked wrestlers for Air Force at 133 with Jared VanVleet and at 285 with Kayne Hutchison. Hutchison is interesting as he has wrestled at 197 this year but is ranked #12 at 285. So he is no bigger than Luke Surber but is a more experienced and strong heavy-weight. Luke will be hard pressed to beat him but it is a match where two smaller but talented wrestlers meet. Reluctantly, I say this will be our only loss of the dual as Daton should dec. VanVleet handily. At 7:30 on Friday evening we wrestle Wyoming in a much closer dual. At 125 #7 Mastro should dec. Svihel of Wyoming. 133 Fix will win easily over Job Greenwood, Carter young at 141 will prevail over Chase Zollman, Gfeller will defeat Jaron Jensen at 149. However, matches beginning at 157 will be much more competitive. Jacob Wright who is ranked #11 will face Sheets at 157 who is now ranked #16. Both have close wins over Justin Thomas of OU and this match could be a toss-up. At 165 Witlake will likely wrestle Cole Moody #23 and should gain a decision. In maybe the match of the dual Dustin Plott #14 will wrestle Hayden Hastings #13. Hastings has a win over Plott last year when he was wrestling hurt and this should be a close one. Tate Samuelson of Wyoming ranked #15 at 184 will wrestle #6 Dakota Geer in a good match. Stephen Buchanan ranked #6 at 197 will wrestle AJ #1 and although IMO Buchanan is the best wrestler on Wyoming's team will suffer a defeat at the hands of AJ but may be a low scoring close match. At Heavy Brian Andrews ranked #10 is just too big and strong for Surber at this point but Andrews has been injured.
Utah Valley is the final opponent on Saturday for OK STATE and will feature one match at 125 when Tayor Lamont ranked #5 by Flo will wrestle Mastro #7 ranked by Flo. We should win the rest of the matches as Romero ranked #5 is out for the season with a knee injury ( this would have been the other featured Match of the dual) against Travis Witlake. Even though I am predicting losses by Luke Surber in two of his matches, now would be a good time for him to gain confidence and ranking by winning either or both. I just feel that Luke is a very good wrestler that just needs more strength and confidence to start winning some big matches for us.

Reactions: Rdcldad and DPJ
Nice write up, Obe. The Utah Valley match is Monday, according to the schedule. All three duals are available on Flowrestling.

Wyoming is going to be a difficult dual. Go up to 5k and compete then do it again few hours later after bus ride above 7k against a team with several tough match ups. I don't know that more than 2 of the starters have done this before. When competing at altitude usually feel worse a couple days later but Utah V will not be as tough as WY.

Reactions: birdman1117
Is Hendrickson out for AF at heavy?

Lost in the blood round last year and then followed it up by making the Junior world team. That would've been a good match for Surber.

Oberebo's predictions look a little rosy to me. Altitude is tricky and not everyone struggles the same with it. Our wrestlers are just getting finished with finals and may not be that focused on cutting weight.

Is Hendrickson out for AF at heavy?

Lost in the blood round last year and then followed it up by making the Junior world team. That would've been a good match for Surber.
I have no indication he is out, just noticed he had one match at 197 this year. He looks to to be about 6"3" or taller. He is ranked at 285.

I have no indication he is out, just noticed he had one match at 197 this year. He looks to to be about 6"3" or taller. He is ranked at 285.

Ok, I checked the match notes - Hutchinson is expected to go @ 197 and Hendrickson @ heavy.

Surber could have 2 tough matches tomorrow, first Hendrickson and then Brian Andrews.

Ok, I checked the match notes - Hutchinson is expected to go @ 197 and Hendrickson @ heavy.

Surber has 2 tough matches tomorrow, first Hendrickson and then Brian Andrews.
You are correct and as I indicated Surber will have very tough matches with both although Brian Andrews injury defaulted in his first match at the Las Vegas Tournament. Do not know what the injury was or how bad he is hurt. You are correct that I erred and conflated Hendrickson and Huchinson in my analysis-sorry my bad, but in any event I did not project Surber as the winner in either match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrassler17
You are correct and as I indicated Surber will have very tough matches with both although Brian Andrews injury defaulted in his first match at the Las Vegas Tournament. Do not know what the injury was or how bad he is hurt. You are correct that I erred and conflated Hendrickson and Huchinson in my analysis-sorry my bad, but in any event I did not project Surber as the winner in either match.
No problem Obe, I thought maybe they were going to bump Hutchinson up.

I watched some of the CKLV matches, looked like Andrews suffered a strain. He called for injury timeout, then continued wrestling before defaulting. Walked off with a limp.

Flo’s coverage stinks. One fixed camera that doesn’t show the whole mat and their on screen scoreboard covers about 1/4th of the visible mat.
And they only let one person per account stream the match at any given time. Me and my uncle were both trying to watch and we kept getting kicked off.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Anyone going to provide updates? 🙂
Twitter

Mastro with a full 2nd period ride with a 4 point turn then gets riden the entire 3rd period.

12-2 MD for Mastro

Fix just got a Fall in the 2nd period.

10-0 oSu after 2 matches.

Young with a TD, escape, and 3rd period ride for 3-1 Decision.

13-0 oSu

1st
Gfeller TD & rides out the period.
2-0 G

2nd
G starts down, reversal, escape AF, G TD & rideout.
6-1 G

3rd
Neutral start, G TD, 2 point near fall & rideout, RT.
11-1 G

17-0 oSu

Last edited:
157 - Sheets vs Petrucelli

1st
Sheets TD, stalling AF, ride out.
2-0 Sheets

2nd
Sheets down, escape, stalling AF, Sheets TD.
6-0 Sheets

3rd
Sheets on top, 4 point NF on a turk, ride out, RT.
11-0 MD Sheets

21-0 oSu

Reactions: Cypresspoke
165 - Wittlake vs Ganos

1st
Wittlake TD, ride out.
2-0 Wittlake

2nd
Wittlake down, escape, Wittlake TD, escape, Wittlake TD, escape, Wittlake TD, escape, Wittlake TD, ride out.
11-3 Wittlake

3rd
Wittlake top, stalling AF, rideout, RT. 4:50ish of RT.
12-3 Wittlake

25-0 oSu

Last edited:
174 - Plott vs Wolf

1st
Plott TD & 2 NF, ride out.
4-0 Plott

2nd
Plott down, escape, Plott TD, ride out.
7-0 Plott, 2:22 RT

3rd
Neutral, Plott TD, escape AF, Plott TD, ride out, RT. 3:33 RT
12-1 MD Plott

29-0 oSu

Last edited:
184 - Geer vs Thompson

1st
Geer TD, escape AF, Geer TD, ride out. 1:12 RT
4-1 Geer

2nd
Geer down, escape, Geer TD, stalling AF, stalling AF, ride out. 2:31 RT
8-1 Geer

3rd
Neutral, Geer TD, escape AF, Geer TD, escape AF, Geer TD, escape AF, Geer TD, escape AF, Geer TD, 2 point NF, ride out, RT.
21-5 TF Geer

34-0 oSu

Last edited:
Yes thanks for the updates.

Yes Flo coverage stinks. Better than nothing but ESPN+ is a dramatic improvement.

197 - Ferrari vs Hutchison

1st
Ferrari TD, 4 point NF, escape AF, Ferrari TD, 4 point NF, escape AF.
12-2 Ferrari

2nd
Ferrari top, escape AF, Ferrari TD, escape AF, Ferrari TD, ride out. 1:45 RT
16-4 Ferrari

3rd
Ferrari down, escape, Ferrari TD, RT.
20-4 TF Ferrari

39-0 oSu

HWT/285 - Surber vs Forrester

1st
Surber TD, escape AF, Surber TD, ride out. 2:23 RT
4-1 Surber

2nd
Surber down, escape, Surber TD, cradle FALL!!!

45-0 oSu

KSPI was calling it as Hutchinson wrestling against Surber so imagine my excitement hearing that Luke pinned the #7 guy in the country. Whoops lol. Still a good achievement though!

KSPI was calling it as Hutchinson wrestling against Surber so imagine my excitement hearing that Luke pinned the #7 guy in the country. Whoops lol. Still a good achievement though!
Watching that match was honestly like watching grass grow. It was embarassingly bad wrestling with no effort exerted by Air Force. Actually, it looked scripted with 5 matches ending 11-1 or 10-1 and two tech falls and a pin and when Air Force was taken down it almost looked like they were ordered to keep their head on the mat and not move. AJ did everything possible to let his guy take him down including turning and leaving his back to his opponent who declined to shoot. AJ gave him leg and Hutchison half-heartedly picked it up and then amazingly let it go when AJ still did not move. Fix and Geer moved animatedly but wrestlers otherwise looked like they were just drilling. I know it will be exciting tonight but I just hope we are not lulled into a sense of complacency. BTW if Rex announced that Plott had pinned the #7 guy in the country he is as clueless as ever. That was Forester that Plott wrestled who made not one offensive move in the match and looked like he was on the same tranquilizers as his team-mates. Hendrickson did not wrestle although they had his name up on the scoreboard the whole match.

AF's Cody Phippen was at 125 last year and is up at 141 now. His match was almost a carbon copy of last season's. Gave up a takedown in the 1st, put a tough ride on in the 2nd, then got ridden out in the 3rd. Lost 2-1 to Mastro and 3-1 to Young.

Phippen came up and surprised a lot of people in one the NCAA tournaments. I think he'd wrestled zero or only a few matches but got a wild card entry and made it several rounds in. It was a fun story to watch. He's a dangerous guy for sure. Could have been someone else but I think it was Phippen.

Watching that match was honestly like watching grass grow. It was embarassingly bad wrestling with no effort exerted by Air Force. Actually, it looked scripted with 5 matches ending 11-1 or 10-1 and two tech falls and a pin and when Air Force was taken down it almost looked like they were ordered to keep their head on the mat and not move. AJ did everything possible to let his guy take him down including turning and leaving his back to his opponent who declined to shoot. AJ gave him leg and Hutchison half-heartedly picked it up and then amazingly let it go when AJ still did not move. Fix and Geer moved animatedly but wrestlers otherwise looked like they were just drilling. I know it will be exciting tonight but I just hope we are not lulled into a sense of complacency. BTW if Rex announced that Plott had pinned the #7 guy in the country he is as clueless as ever. That was Forester that Plott wrestled who made not one offensive move in the match and looked like he was on the same tranquilizers as his team-mates. Hendrickson did not wrestle although they had his name up on the scoreboard the whole match.
I thought as this dual went on that this was the most boring Cowboy dual I can ever remember watching. So I certainly agree with you Oberebo. Wyoming should be much better. I really could not understand Mastro being ridden the whole 3rd period. When Mastro got up almost staggering I wondered if his opponent had hurt Mastro's ribs or if altitude had gotten Mastro.

Maybe but it will be their second match in the day and at altitude. Im sure that will be a factor.
And that why it will tell us a lot, can we win a match or two they are favored in, will Mastro & Young struggle even more on bottom with increased altitude & fatigue or are they good enough to fight thru it and figure it out?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT