ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Facility Upgrade?

OState Cowboys

Redshirt
Gold Member
Oct 28, 2008
I keep seeing these other programs show off their new wrestling / sport performance facilities and I am starting to be concerned that we aren’t doing enough to keep up with the Ohio States, Michigan’s, or even Cornell’s. I know Holder said we would fundraise for it but are we going to have anything in comparison to what other locations have? Are we just going to move the wrestling room downstairs and add some square footage? Go watch Tom Ryan on Flowrestling show what their new facility is shaping up to be. I don’t think we could build anything inside of GIA that compares. Hell, OU has a nicer facility, with an actual club room too! I know this horse has been beat to death in the past but we are on the cusp of having the most fans attend a wrestling match ever in our facility, and we barely have 3 stationary bicycles in our “weight room”. Any chance we can use this Iowa dual publicity to bring out some renewed or reinvigorated interest in a top tier facility?

We are actively pursuing a lead naming rights donor for the wrestling facility. It's is MH's primary focus right now and when he goes to build facilities his goal is to build the best. He won't speed the process up and cut any corners.

I would be shocked if what they are fundraising towards isn't in the discussion of the best in the country. It's what he has done with every other facility we have built.

We are actively pursuing a lead naming rights donor for the wrestling facility. It's is MH's primary focus right now and when he goes to build facilities his goal is to build the best. He won't speed the process up and cut any corners.

I would be shocked if what they are fundraising towards isn't in the discussion of the best in the country. It's what he has done with every other facility we have built.
I'm not Holder's biggest fan but he does do a good job building top notch facilities.

Last edited:
If this new facility doesn't come with a top notch RTC, it won't make a difference.

I can't imagine that this conversation is happening without talks of an RTC. That being said, as much as we need a real RTC, to act like the best facility in the nation is worthless without one is kind of silly.

Reactions: SquinkY5786
IMO a great facility without a top tier RTC will be of very little value.

At one time it probably would have helped attract the recruits that focused on folkstyle rather than freestyle. Guys like Heil, Picc, Balmaceda, etc. But they are a dying breed.

Everyone now realizes that future employment in wrestling is tied to RTCs & freestyle. Heil is doing freestyle (even though he isn't very good at it). Picc said last month he plans to continue wrestling after college (hoping it is with us). The NCAA allows two assistant coaches. If you do freestyle there is no limit on the number of job opportunities available post graduation.

I can't imagine that this conversation is happening without talks of an RTC. That being said, as much as we need a real RTC, to act like the best facility in the nation is worthless without one is kind of silly.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, but if it doesn't come along with an investment in the RTC, it won't help the program's overall standing. Penn State's facilities aren't near the nicest, but their RTC is the best funded. $$$ talks. Everything else is a nice to have.

I think it's a chicken or egg argument with facility vs RTC. The only one we can control with external influence is the facility. The internal influence is what drives the RTC. OU built their facility before hiring Guerrero and bringing in all the athletes they have.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I wonder are they looking at a training acedemic center or also a smaller field house 5000 - 6000 seats? GIA could still be used for the bigger matches like Iowa or Penn State where we draw 13000 plus.

I doubt that economically it would make any sense to have 2 arenas but miss that electricity of the old GIA packed house for the matches in addition to the volume!

Just an FYI, Jason Elmquist is a huge cooksucker.

It helps to have an alum of their wrestling program to become a billionaire. I believe he is paying nearly all of the $15m they are spending.

Just googled that, didn't know about him. Interesting story & nice donation.

Just an FYI, Jason Elmquist is a huge cooksucker.

Really? Didn't know about him either, other than seeing some of the guys retweet his stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT