ADVERTISEMENT

Weinberg on wrestling facility

driad

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2009
He just said on the Blitz that they have raised almost 10 million for the new wrestling facility. Interest ing, maybe we should keep the facilities and use that money for wrestlers In the NIL

Last edited:
NIL money does not come from the University. I am doing NIL and not contributing to the facilities.
Not the point you were trying to make, but the money for facilities technically doesn’t come from the university either does it? Don’t we only pay for new facilities with donor funds earmarked specifically for the projects?

The university or coaches cannot arrange the NIL as that is between the company and the student Athlete. We are on the same team, but the NIL seems pretty challenging to make work compliantly. I do not talk to the coaches at all about this.

Not the point you were trying to make, but the money for facilities technically doesn’t come from the university either does it? Don’t we only pay for new facilities with donor funds earmarked specifically for the projects?
Yes but once the funds are given to OSU, it can't go to NIL. Donor has to give it directly to PWP or other similar entity.

Probably some tax issues arise when donating to a individual compared to a university.

Probably some tax issues arise when donating to a individual compared to a university.
For now PWAP is a tax deductible donation. Hard for me to get my mind around that, but that's the way it is now, for the time being.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t. I want the best facilities out there. I guess I was simply saying that it’s crazy to think that new wrestling facility costs 25 million. I don’t even know if that’s projected to be on the high side of what teams have spent. What did Mich spend on theirs?

Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat
What did Mich spend on theirs?

Not sure about Michigan, but I think Iowa's new facility is estimated at $31M.

I don't know how it compares to OSU's in terms of size & features. It might be bigger because of the women's team.

The baseball facility cost ~$75M. Shouldn't wrestling have better stuff than baseball or at least at the same level. And OSU's new wrestling facility should be the best in the country.
The difference to me is wrestling just needs an amazing practice facility. 75 mil included a stadium. They will continue duals in GIA. I feel like 25 is excessive honestly but I’m sure the idea is to not have to do it again for 25-30 years.

The difference to me is wrestling just needs an amazing practice facility. 75 mil included a stadium. They will continue duals in GIA. I feel like 25 is excessive honestly but I’m sure the idea is to not have to do it again for 25-30 years.
I agree with you there. Give them a nice space for mats, a nice locker room, and maybe a weight lifting area, a sauna, a couple of tubs for icing and a training room. They do not need study halls and a complete mini university in the building. They do not need long halls and open spaces with couches and chairs and places to lounge. It seems like it could easily be effective, appealing, functional, and under 15 million.

Glad they are going big. It shows they still feel strongly about wrestling and the legacy.
We do need real good facilities if we are to meet our goals to hit 35. Coach Smith has accepted cheap which has been a big factor in our downfall. This forum has been called 34 and counting for a very long time. I think most donors would rather fund facilities than NIL (tax benefits, concrete sure benefit etc. versus uncertain return of NIL ).

Stuff is expensive even more so with the inflation since Covid. Believe IL new facility was supposed to be $10M and has turned into ~$12M and don't think it will be at the level of new facilities at the top programs. Given the history and the level of facilities since the T Boone era, we should have the best facility in the country, already have GIA just need the rest. We can do both NIL and facility. To me the more disappointing aspect is that they haven't found the donar who wants to pledge $15M for a named facility. Look at all the other (athletic & academic) facility funding in the last 15 years.

Stuff is expensive even more so with the inflation since Covid. Believe IL new facility was supposed to be $10M and has turned into ~$12M and don't think it will be at the level of new facilities at the top programs. Given the history and the level of facilities since the T Boone era, we should have the best facility in the country, already have GIA just need the rest. We can do both NIL and facility. To me the more disappointing aspect is that they haven't found the donar who wants to pledge $15M for a named facility. Look at all the other (athletic & academic) facility funding in the last 15 years.
Usually you ask for 15m after a great season, not the worst one in history lol

Usually you ask for 15m after a great season, not the worst one in history lol
Very good point made here. The fact that they have already been able to raise $10M makes me think if we could generate a top 5 finish people can see we are headed in the right direction again and pony up. Just think of the money that might possibly come in if we were to win a NC in the next few years.

My gut feeling it is three of four people that really want to win. Most of the money on fund raises come from very few people.

Reactions: AtownPoke
IME whether it's sports, government, or charity, if you're doing fine then people wonder why are you asking for money. People don't vote in road repair or school construction bonds when the roads look great and the schools are in good shape. If you have a great season people say "why donate? You're doing fine". Have a couple of bad seasons, don't fix potholes for several years, or let the roof cave in at your school building - and people are more likely to look holistically at how to improve the program/roads/whatever.

Regardless, not trying to argue with anybody... I'm not an Iowa fan :) just glad to see there's progress!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT