ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestle offs?

John Smith said during media day that the wrestle-offs would be “next weekend”. Is JS a next weekend is really this weekend kind of guy? I don’t know but next week by my rules would be Nov 6-7 which is the same weekend as UALR Open. JS already said starters won’t go to that tournament. If wrestle-offs are that weekend more than the starters won’t go. I also read into it that they would be in the practice room.

Reactions: tom_v31
John Smith said during media day that the wrestle-offs would be “next weekend”. Is JS a next weekend is really this weekend kind of guy? I don’t know but next week by my rules would be Nov 6-7 which is the same weekend as UALR Open. JS already said starters won’t go to that tournament. If wrestle-offs are that weekend more than the starters won’t go. I also read into it that they would be in the practice room.
Thanks. I wish they would stream them

John said in a week and a half, so I think he probably does mean next weekend for the ranking matches.

There are still 7 guys that haven't certified yet in Track, including Witcraft & Geer. G certified today and weighed between 149.1-157. I believe that means he can't go 141 at Stanford because of the descent rules.

Last edited:
Excellent chance to market the program.I would love to go as much as any high profile regular season dual.osu wrestling and marketing are missing opportunities to build the fanbase.

This would be a great way to promote the program! open the tickets to the white jacket club 1st, fill in the lower level of GIA, have some food trucks outside, have tables set up for merchandise and autographed posters, etc.

I went to Ohio States wrestle offs on Thursday, they were free to the public, the coaches association had tables set up on the floor with pizza and beer. The non floor seats were first come first serve and vendors were set up for the high school coaches (cliff Keen, Rudis, Barbarian Apparel, defense soap) it was a fantastic event and I think they were also streamed on BTN+

Suriano has been making the rounds recently, reportedly shopping his services to the highest school/NIL bidder. He visited PSU & ISU previously and was at Ohio St for their wrestle-offs. Nice of them to set up a vendor row for him and other prospective recruits.

I bet if they promoted the wrestle offs, they could near set attendance records. Fans have been waiting since last year. It definitely is another missed opportunity

I bet if they promoted the wrestle offs, they could near set attendance records. Fans have been waiting since last year. It definitely is another missed opportunity
I like your optimism, but I don’t think it would fill GIA.

It was a good showing for Orange & Black last year.

Overall, they seem to market pretty well

I think if John wanted these to be public they would be. I think years they are a few high profile battles he doesn’t want all the outside distractions. Just my opinion.
You're probably right, but it's still a little puzzling. John set up a big off-site dual against Iowa when they have their best team on paper in 20+ years. Young will potentially be facing Eierman in front of 50K fans, plus an international audience. Having 5K watch Young vs Hone in GIA doesn't seem like a big deal.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
I am surprised the are even doing wrestle off. These days it seems like a lot of teams are letting the kids decide in open events who is the best. Wrestler A has to be able to beat the guy who beat wrestler B to be the starter. If the results are too close to call, then have a wrestle off.
Maybe the top level teams do not want to have that many open tourneys and take a chance on the kids getting hurt? Could that be the reason?

I wish they would make these open to the public but there is zero chance you would set an attendance record with a wrestle off.

I wish they would make these open to the public but there is zero chance you would set an attendance record with a wrestle off.
I’m going throw Tom a bone and say he is talking about an attendance record for a wrestle off. Not an attendance record for a wrestling event.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
He indicated they were this weekend - good thing is he doesn't have to decide who will start as it will be determined on the mat. But I am not sure when? Maybe just in the room this weekend and we won't know until we learn how is going to CA and starting

Not a whole lot of information in that tweet. Maybe we’ll get some inside information.

Looks like Mastro wrestled off at 149 instead of 141. And is that Boone going against Wittlake?

Nothing gets you excited about a season like zero f-ing information. If we put our wrestling marketing minds in charge of dressing Margo Robbie they'd freaking dress her in a potato sack and flip flops.

Osu is failing on the New Nil deal and selling itself to Recruits . These are new times and we are still stuck in 2000

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Thought NIL was for the athletes not the university?
We don’t sell it to recruits. Ohio state is doing a great job of showing their recruits they can help them get nil deals

Nothing gets you excited about a season like zero f-ing information. If we put our wrestling marketing minds in charge of dressing Margo Robbie they'd freaking dress her in a potato sack and flip flops.
I'm guessing no information coming out of wrestle offs has zero to do with marketing.

Reactions: osu2082
We don’t sell it to recruits. Ohio state is doing a great job of showing their recruits they can help them get nil deals
So who at the university is supposed to be working with these high school or college students on their NILs. Am assuming non athletes should have access to the same resources for developing their academic NIL deals? ;_;

I'm guessing no information coming out of wrestle offs has zero to do with marketing.

This. We have an old school coach who has his views on how things should go and decides what gets put out. He didn’t want this years wrestle offs to be public so they aren’t.

Surber, Young and G were the big winners coming out of the weekend. Not sure that means we will see them (especially first two) right out of the gate.

This. We have an old school coach who has his views on how things should go and decides what gets put out. He didn’t want this years wrestle offs to be public so they aren’t.

Surber, Young and G were the big winners coming out of the weekend. Not sure that means we will see them (especially first two) right out of the gate.
Wow. Surber & Young winning really bodes well for this year and the future.

That’s fantastic news. So I hope that means G is back on the wagon.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT