ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm hearing a new transfer in room!

mike tognetti

All-American
Jan 27, 2012
Derek White, Oklahoma young man (197) is in Stillwater. Our team is the deepest its been in a long long time. Everybody better start getting excited about this year. Also PSU isn't going to the Scuffle (there a little scared of us, that's for the PSU fans that check our board), there going to the Reno Tournament now. Well the OSU coaching staff decided since there running from us why don't we follow them over there, the whole starters and quite a few of the other wrestlers will be there. You can run but you can't hide! Have to say John and Company sure doesn't hide from nobody, their schedule every year is always loaded with top schools. If you know me you know I'm bouncing off the walls right now. Will be in Stillwater sept 16/17 for a cutting event and will be checking out the wrestling team.

Last edited:
Nebraska. Huge addition. Top 197 prospect in the country in '14. (Not counting Snyder...he is a hwy now)

Nebraska. Huge addition. Top 197 prospect in the country in '14. (Not counting Snyder...he is a hwy now)
That is good news Mike and with Weigel at that weight we will have two quality 197 pounders along with our Freshman recruit. I will be at your cutting event in Stillwater in September and you promised me you would win it so do not let me down.

Will White be eligible this year? If so I think if he is fully committed will win that spot.

He is a very talented wrestler with tremendous upside.

Will White be eligible this year? If so I think if he is fully committed will win that spot.

Not sure on this. Weigel looked really solid at the end of last year. It's definitely good to have White in the room, but Weigel was almost an AA.

Not sure on this. Weigel looked really solid at the end of last year. It's definitely good to have White in the room, but Weigel was almost an AA.
I'm not down on Weigel and his upside is great. He may be the best top rider in the country.However, it is great to have depth in the room and White is a quality wrestler.

Reactions: Pokes2010
I'm not down on Weigel and his upside is great. He may be the best top rider in the country.However, it is great to have depth in the room and White is a quality wrestler.
Agree 100%. Even if White can't wrestle this year he may help develop Weigel on his feet some and if that happens Weigel could be really dangerous.

White had a very good season last year making the midlands final. he just couldn't push the veteran stuedebaker out for that 197 spot. This is a very good pick up

Reactions: andegre
White was a state champion at Edmond north. Same age as the triplets. He grew a ton, over his high school career. I think he was maybe 138 his freshman year. Super slick in high school. Lots of takedowns and lots of takedown moves. He's not a particularly tall 97. I thought Nebraska might have him cut to 84. He will be a nice addition to the room, if he's committed and focused. Nice family too.

Reactions: diehard1413
White was a state champion at Edmond north. Same age as the triplets. He grew a ton, over his high school career. I think he was maybe 138 his freshman year. Super slick in high school. Lots of takedowns and lots of takedown moves. He's not a particularly tall 97. I thought Nebraska might have him cut to 84. He will be a nice addition to the room, if he's committed and focused. Nice family too.
Does anyone know if he is the right size to be able to go down to 184? Looking ahead to after Boyd graduates that would be huge if that's possible. Keegan Moore was at 220 at Fargo this summer and wrestled really well. If they tried to put some size on him to fill in at HWT after his redshirt year, then had White down to 184 we'd basically have every hole in the lineup after this year filled.

I heard the rumors of him transferring, but did not believe it. Great to have him in the room and 197 sure looks a whole lot better than it did at this time last year.

Reactions: Pokes2010
Does anyone know if he is the right size to be able to go down to 184? Looking ahead to after Boyd graduates that would be huge if that's possible. Keegan Moore was at 220 at Fargo this summer and wrestled really well. If they tried to put some size on him to fill in at HWT after his redshirt year, then had White down to 184 we'd basically have every hole in the lineup after this year filled.
Keegan Moore is not going up to heavy weight. He wrestled220 and did well due to his talent but he is till in the 184/197 range at best. It is great that we have so much depth in the room. Austin Schafer will do well at Heavy weight but that is the spot we need to have more depth. I am not at this point a huge proponent of the heavy weight transfer from NEO. However the other transfer, at 165/174 from NEO will be a force after this year. Jacobe Smith is the real deal.

Keegan Moore is not going up to heavy weight. He wrestled220 and did well due to his talent but he is till in the 184/197 range at best. It is great that we have so much depth in the room. Austin Schafer will do well at Heavy weight but that is the spot we need to have more depth. I am not at this point a huge proponent of the heavy weight transfer from NEO. However the other transfer, at 165/174 from NEO will be a force after this year. Jacobe Smith is the real deal.
That's unfortunate. I thought maybe Moore was a big 184 and just hit a growth spurt or something. I expect Schafer to do reasonably well at HWT next year, at least qualify for the NCAA's and score some points, but the outlook past him I don't see as being a real great situation at HWT.

After this year I feel it's fairly clear that Martinez and Smith will both step right in at 149 and 174 and fill in well. I wouldn't be shocked to see them both AA.

With Boyd/Rogers gone at 184 though it sounds like it'll probably be Moore after a redshirt year or maybe with the way 197 has suddenly gotten so deep one of them will go down to 84, which to me either way will be pretty solid, but then it ends up looking like another really similar situation to this year at HWT where the best option may be a bumped up 197 or possibly by then one of the local kids or the juco transfer, but either way with them it's definitely going to be a drop off from what we've become accustomed to over the last 10 or so years with Marsden, Z, and Rosholt.

I heard the rumors of him transferring, but did not believe it. Great to have him in the room and 197 sure looks a whole lot better than it did at this time last year.
It's pretty wild what a year does. Went from being the weight I was probably most concerned about all last year to one of the deepest in the room.

Moore weighted in around 200 at Fargo, he's going to start at 184.

Word is he wasn't going to class in Lincon so who knows he may have to sit for academics. i'm sure with the motivation beeing closer to home and of beating out the current starter he should kick it into gear.

Reactions: osu2082

It's been awhile since I've seen him in person. Like I said, not particularly tall for a 97, but pretty thick kid. With commitment and help from the staff, I think it's feasible he could do the cut. What do I know though? I'm only familiar with what it takes to have my weight go in the opposite direction.

Reactions: oberebo
It's been awhile since I've seen him in person. Like I said, not particularly tall for a 97, but pretty thick kid. With commitment and help from the staff, I think it's feasible he could do the cut. What do I know though? I'm only familiar with what it takes to have my weight go in the opposite direction.
Cowguy, whenever I comment on weight cuts I think the same thing. I love his offense. If we could meld his offensive mentality and Weigel's mat wrestling we would have a national champ on our hands.

I have heard back a couple years ago he did pretty much everything to gain weight to get above the Dixons. His natural weight may be a bit lower.

That's incorrect
One Dixon was the heavy.

He wrestled 65 jr year beat marek in finals then 97 sr year.

Super excited derricks in the room.
Fantastic wrestler

That's incorrect
One Dixon was the heavy.

He wrestled 65 jr year beat marek in finals then 97 sr year.

Super excited derricks in the room.
Fantastic wrestler

It was interesting that last year. Joel, Andrew and Derek were all pretty close in weight. Heck Lance wasn't that far off. I believe he just had an easier time making the cut. They worked it out and everyone found a weight that best helped the team. My wife corrected me and said she thought Derek was actually like 120 his freshman year. Kid really grew.

I hope he can make the 84 cut.

It was interesting that last year. Joel, Andrew and Derek were all pretty close in weight. Heck Lance wasn't that far off. I believe he just had an easier time making the cut. They worked it out and everyone found a weight that best helped the team. My wife corrected me and said she thought Derek was actually like 120 his freshman year. Kid really grew.

I hope he can make the 84 cut.

My friends son wrestled with those guys so I don't know the details

What struck me about Derrick is he losses to marek at regionals jr year.
Marek was super slick and my buddy says he's committed to zero u.

Then Derrick comes back and handles marek at state and I'm thinking damn this kid is good.(besides this beast of a freshman from sand springs named fix lol)

Next year Derrick blows up physically and just rolls through 97 to win state and I mean he rolled. Buddy says he going to Nebraska I'm thinking crap that one got away.

I'll ask if derrick can get to 84 cause weigal looks like he has no chance weigals legs are enourmous.

I believe Derrick will blossom here his return to me is a destiny kind of thing

I save all of the state tourney programs, so I will try to look it up tonight. I believe White wrestled 103, 135, 170 and 195 from Fr to Sr.

I notice Joel Dixon is not on the ou roster. Any news there Cowguy?

Reactions: ostatement
I save all of the state tourney programs, so I will try to look it up tonight. I believe White wrestled 103, 135, 170 and 195 from Fr to Sr.

As usual, I was wrong. He was at 119, 145, 170 and 195.

He has as much top end potential and talent as anyone in the room.

I believe he's at uco. That was the rumor. I haven't verified.

Lol, I just said Dixons, not all three Dixons!!! Jk, regardless the story was he did a ton of supplements to gain incredible weight through high school. Maybe he naturally has room to drop.

Joel quit about half way through season last year and is at UCO.

Derek is fine grade wise. Never lost to starter at Neb but politics prevented fair treatment in my opinion. Derek will be a beast. Ready to get on mat and prove himself!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT