ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia

Poel_Jeer

Redshirt
Nov 9, 2015
This weekend is going to be a fun weekend. I just wish that I could watch the duals. I have my predictions for the weekend.

@WVU
125- Moisey is a quality wrestler, but he has not been consistent. Klimara "should" have no problem on Friday, but this match could turn ugly and could see Moisey with the upset. As long as Klimara keeps on his offense, he should be fine. Klimara dec Moisey 7-4
133- This should be a fun match to watch with 2 Oklahoma kids. Crutchmer got handled in his dual start this season, but it won't happen again, but it'll be close. Cruthmer dec Moore 5-3
141- Heil and DeAngelo met at the scuffle and it looked tough for Dean, the whole tournament looked tough for Dean though. But Dean seems to know where to be at all times, so now that he has wrestled DeAngelo, he'll separate the score. Heil dec DeAngelo 9-3
149- The resurgence of Collica commences. Collica had one of the toughest Scuffles I have seen it terms of how many matches he wrestled. I don't blame him for gassing in his last match. To me, I think it actually improves him, gets his conditioning up and ready to wrestle. He didn't seem to have any issues with his ankle. He majored Moore this year and he'll do it again. Collica mdec Moore 15-4
157- Joe Smith's debut is against a wrestler he already beat this year in tournament. Joe should have no problem and he seems very mature for his age. He handle's adversity well it seems and even if jitters get to him, he should have no problem with Cottrell. Smith dec Cottrell 10-4
165- Dieringer is the man, and I don't think anyone is knocking him off his horse. Connor Flynn has his hands full. if Ringer doesn't get the fall, then it'll be a blow out. Dieringer fall Flynn 2:49
174- Crutchmer will continue to be himself, which is fine as long as he turns it on in March. I will say though, he does seem to picking up his offense a little. Crutchmer mdec Renzi 12-4
184- Boyd showed he is the man at this weight from here on out. I think he took a long look in the mirror and got pissed off at himself. No problems against Scheffel. Boyd mdec Scheffel 15-5
197- Marsden will have all he want from Smith. I watched Marsden at the scuffle. He has a lot of potential, but he needs to manage his body and the match better. He can beat a lot of people, but I just don't see it this year. Weigel might get a shot here as well. Smith has beat both this season and I don't see a change and I feel that Marsden will get the nod. Smith dec Marsden 9-4
285-Marsden will win, but I don't see him doing it any other way than what he has done in the past, but who know. Marsden dec Vizcarrondo 5-2

So that leaves us with a score of 33-3, but at worst it'll be 30-6.

I just noticed too that this could be a dual where we see 2 sets of brothers wrestling in the same dual for the same team......gotta be a record or something.
I'll get to Pitt tomorrow.

This weekend is going to be a fun weekend. I just wish that I could watch the duals. I have my predictions for the weekend.

@WVU
125- Moisey is a quality wrestler, but he has not been consistent. Klimara "should" have no problem on Friday, but this match could turn ugly and could see Moisey with the upset. As long as Klimara keeps on his offense, he should be fine. Klimara dec Moisey 7-4
133- This should be a fun match to watch with 2 Oklahoma kids. Crutchmer got handled in his dual start this season, but it won't happen again, but it'll be close. Cruthmer dec Moore 5-3
141- Heil and DeAngelo met at the scuffle and it looked tough for Dean, the whole tournament looked tough for Dean though. But Dean seems to know where to be at all times, so now that he has wrestled DeAngelo, he'll separate the score. Heil dec DeAngelo 9-3
149- The resurgence of Collica commences. Collica had one of the toughest Scuffles I have seen it terms of how many matches he wrestled. I don't blame him for gassing in his last match. To me, I think it actually improves him, gets his conditioning up and ready to wrestle. He didn't seem to have any issues with his ankle. He majored Moore this year and he'll do it again. Collica mdec Moore 15-4
157- Joe Smith's debut is against a wrestler he already beat this year in tournament. Joe should have no problem and he seems very mature for his age. He handle's adversity well it seems and even if jitters get to him, he should have no problem with Cottrell. Smith dec Cottrell 10-4
165- Dieringer is the man, and I don't think anyone is knocking him off his horse. Connor Flynn has his hands full. if Ringer doesn't get the fall, then it'll be a blow out. Dieringer fall Flynn 2:49
174- Crutchmer will continue to be himself, which is fine as long as he turns it on in March. I will say though, he does seem to picking up his offense a little. Crutchmer mdec Renzi 12-4
184- Boyd showed he is the man at this weight from here on out. I think he took a long look in the mirror and got pissed off at himself. No problems against Scheffel. Boyd mdec Scheffel 15-5
197- Marsden will have all he want from Smith. I watched Marsden at the scuffle. He has a lot of potential, but he needs to manage his body and the match better. He can beat a lot of people, but I just don't see it this year. Weigel might get a shot here as well. Smith has beat both this season and I don't see a change and I feel that Marsden will get the nod. Smith dec Marsden 9-4
285-Marsden will win, but I don't see him doing it any other way than what he has done in the past, but who know. Marsden dec Vizcarrondo 5-2

So that leaves us with a score of 33-3, but at worst it'll be 30-6.

I just noticed too that this could be a dual where we see 2 sets of brothers wrestling in the same dual for the same team......gotta be a record or something.
I'll get to Pitt tomorrow.
Have you ever heard of the Stieber brothers as the most recent.

from the o'colly:

In the 157-pound class, freshman Joe Smith – coach John Smith’s son – will participate in his first collegiate match Friday against West Virginia. Juniors Nolan Boyd and Jordan Rogers look to be the replacements for Shafer. Boyd and Rogers have appeared in a combined three dual meets this year, posting a combined record of 1-2.

is this correct? does this mean there will be someone else @ 184?

http://www.ocolly.com/sports/article_3fecf554-b8da-11e5-abcd-5ff29e20413c.html

from the o'colly:

In the 157-pound class, freshman Joe Smith – coach John Smith’s son – will participate in his first collegiate match Friday against West Virginia. Juniors Nolan Boyd and Jordan Rogers look to be the replacements for Shafer. Boyd and Rogers have appeared in a combined three dual meets this year, posting a combined record of 1-2.

is this correct? does this mean there will be someone else @ 184?

http://www.ocolly.com/sports/article_3fecf554-b8da-11e5-abcd-5ff29e20413c.html
I think it means the guy writing the article isn't paying attention. I think he looked at past results and saw the names that competed. I could be wrong, but I would expect Boyd at 84 and Marsden at 197, if not then Marsdens shirt was pulled for no reason.

per ober on another thread:

Matchups for the two duals on the 15th and the 17th

Weight West Virginia Pittsburgh Oklahoma State

125 #13 Zeke Moisey L.J.Bentley NR #5 Eddie Klimara
133 Keegan Moore NR Dom Forys NR Magaldo or Harding NR
141 Anthony Deangelo NR Mike Racciato #8 Dean Heil #1
149 Zach Moore NR Robert Lee NR Anthony Collica #16
157 Dylan Cottrell # 12 Ronnie Garbinsky NR Joe Smith NR
165 Connor Flynn NR Cody Wiercioch NR Alex Dierenger #1
174 Ross Renzi NR TeShan Campbell NR Kyle Crutchmer #6
184 Jacob " Bubba Scheffel NR Zach Bruce NR Nolan Boyd # 17
197 Jacob Smith #7 Nick Bonaccorsi NR Andrew Marsden NR
285 Anthony Vizcarrondo NR Ryan Solomon # 13 Austin Marsden #5

I think it means the guy writing the article isn't paying attention. I think he looked at past results and saw the names that competed. I could be wrong, but I would expect Boyd at 84 and Marsden at 197, if not then Marsdens shirt was pulled for no reason.
lol. I was going down the road to work when it dawn on me what he said or meant. I laughed and said " not only I can't spell but now I can't read!

Back in the day, Iowa had the Brands and Steiners around the same time we had the Purlers. I would guess if you looked hard enough that there are instances of 4 pairs of brothers among 2 dualing teams.

How about we rest Ringer and wrestle three sets of brothers?

A little off the topic but when does the first individual coaches poll rankings come out???? For some reason I cannot recall from the past.

Thursday, January 22nd last year. Should be very close to the same this year, so guessing Thursday, January 21.

For those of you who want to see Joe Smith in his first dual in an OSU singlet.....WV is streaming the dual live for free @ wvusports.com

Reactions: andegre
MORGANTOWN. W. Va. – The No. 24 West Virginia University wrestling team opens will host a pair of Big 12 duals at the WVU Coliseum this weekend. The Mountaineers will welcome No. 5 Oklahoma State to Morgantown on Friday for an 8 p.m. match before hosting No. 9 Oklahoma as part of Beauty and the Beast with WVU gymnastics at 4 p.m. Sunday.

Tickets for both events are $5 for adults, $3 for seniors and children and $2 per person for groups of 10 or more and can be purchased in advance at WVUGAME.com or by calling 1-800-WVU-GAME. Students receive free admission with a valid WVU student ID. Fans who attend Fridays match against the Cowboys will receive free entry to Beauty and the Beast by showing their ticket stub.

Both matches will be streamed live on WVUsports.com. Live stats can be found at TrackWrestling.com.

“We look forward to kicking off the Big 12 duals season with OSU and OU,” said WVU head coach Sammie Henson. “We have had a solid week of prep and the men are hungry to wrestle. OSU is always tough, and we will have to bring our A-game.”

The Mountaineers and the Cowboys meet head-to-head for the 11th time in program history on Friday. Oklahoma State holds a 10-0 lead in a series that dates back to 1927, and took a 35-3 victory in Stillwater last season. The two have met three times as Big 12 opponents.

The 125-pound bout between No. 12/13 Zeke Moisey and No. 5 Eddie Klimara will highlight the match. The two have squared off three times, with Klimara holding a 2-1 advantage. However, Moisey won the most significant bout with a 5-2 decision in the 2015 NCAA Quarterfinals. No. 12/13 Dylan Cottrell and No. 7 Joe Smith at 157 pounds will also be a match to watch. Smith, who started the season as a redshirt freshman but has since joined the starting lineup, handed Cottrell his first loss of the season at the Joe Parisi Open. At 141 pounds, unranked Tony DeAngelo could face No. 1 Dean Heil. DeAngelo proved to be quite the challenge when the two met in early January, with Heil taking a 3-2 decision at the Southern Scuffle. The 133-pound bout was slated to be between a pair of true freshmen, both of whom started the season as redshirts, as Keegan Moore was expected to take on Kaid Brock. However, Brock was injured at the Southern Scuffle and is out for the remainder of the season.

A number of Mountaineers boast connections to both Oklahoma State and OU. Henson spent two seasons as an assistant coach for the Sooners before joining the staff at Missouri. Volunteer assistant Tyler Caldwell started his collegiate career with the Sooners before transferring to Oklahoma State for his final two seasons. Caldwell also was a volunteer for the Cowboys last season. Keegan Moore and Zachary Moore are natives of Oklahoma City and were recruited by both programs before coming to West Virginia.

WVU Projected Starters
125: No. 12/13 Zeke Moisey (So., 21-5)
133: Keegan Moore (Fr., 14-9) OR Cory Stainbrook (Jr., 5-6) OR Joe Wheeling (r-Fr., 4-3)
141: Tony DeAngelo (Jr., 12-11) OR Christian Monserrat (r-Fr., 9-6)
149: Zachary Moore (Fr., 10-7) OR James Dekrone (Sr., 7-5)
157: 13/12 Dylan Cottrell (Jr., 21-4)
165: Connor Flynn (Fr., 13-10)
174: Ross Renzi (Sr., 10-8)
184: Bubba Scheffel (Sr., 13-7)
197: No. 7 Jacob A. Smith (Jr., 18-6)
HWT: A.J. Vizcarrondo (Sr., 13-10)

go Pokes !!!

I didn't know Caldwell was at WVU. Good for him.
Nice to hear it's free to watch, I was wondering if it would be available anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT