ADVERTISEMENT

Thread: 2020 Election

tlwwake

Oct 29, 2008

trump.biden-housing-1024x576.jpg

Is this election different than the ones in the past?

Typically lower voter turnout favors Republicans and higher turnout favors Democrats. But with Trump enthusiasm off the charts, does record high voting rates actually favor Trump this time? Or, nah?

I also predict that OU will win the B12 and Alabama will beat Clemson in yet another NC championship re-hash

Typically lower voter turnout favors Republicans and higher turnout favors Democrats. But with Trump enthusiasm off the charts, does record high voting rates actually favor Trump this time? Or, nah?

Because so much of the turnout is outside the polling booth, its kind of hard to say. There will clearly be an increased turnout this year vs. prior years, but there's real questions as to whom that favors.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I was just about to post this. What a ridiculous scenario. I would bet my entire net worth (which is technically negative but whatever 😂) and my first born that he won’t get a 300+ electoral margin.

Seriously. If Biden were to flip AZ, TX, FL, GA, IA, NC, WI, MI, OH, and the 1 ME EV while maintaining all of Hillary's wins, he still doesn't get to +300. Yet they show multiple scenarios with results GREATER than +300 on their chart. Seems legit to me.

I tend to think it does based on the numbers of new voter registrations and what party they align to. Some states here and there are definitely different, but in general I think it does. I think of it like OU fans, they jump on a bandwagon they see as having a lot of enthusiasm. People don't work hard to get on the boring bus. Do you think all those people busting windows, flipping cars, looting stores went and registered to vote? DO you think those AntiFa and BLM walking through neighborhoods screaming at people are standing in 1 hour + lines to cast a vote? I don't think so.

Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy
Seriously. If Biden were to flip AZ, TX, FL, GA, IA, NC, WI, MI, OH, and the 1 ME EV while maintaining all of Hillary's wins, he still doesn't get to +300. Yet they show multiple scenarios with results GREATER than +300 on their chart. Seems legit to me.

So I looked at 538 and those specific predictions. They included states like Tennessee and/or South Carolina flipping. Seems to me if those are in range to flip to D, then shouldn't a state like Virginia be in play to flip red? Its not likely, but its closer than Tennessee is by their own polling metrics.

Donald Trump, George Bush and Joe Biden were set to face a firing squad in a small Central American country. Donald Trump was the first one placed against the wall and just before the order was given he yelled out "Earthquake". The firing squad fell into a panic and Donald Trump jumped over the wall and escaped during the confusion.

George Bush was the second one placed against the wall. The squad was reassembled and George pondered what he had just witnessed. Again before the order was given George yelled out "Tornado". Again the squad fell apart and George slipped over the wall.

The last person, Joe Biden, was placed against the wall. He was thinking, I see the pattern here, just scream out something about a disaster and hop over the wall. He confidently refused the blindfold as the firing squad was reassembled. As the rifles were raised in his direction, he grinned from ear to ear and yelled "Fire."

Donald Trump, George Bush and Joe Biden were set to face a firing squad in a small Central American country. Donald Trump was the first one placed against the wall and just before the order was given he yelled out "Earthquake". The firing squad fell into a panic and Donald Trump jumped over the wall and escaped during the confusion.

George Bush was the second one placed against the wall. The squad was reassembled and George pondered what he had just witnessed. Again before the order was given George yelled out "Tornado". Again the squad fell apart and George slipped over the wall.

The last person, Joe Biden, was placed against the wall. He was thinking, I see the pattern here, just scream out something about a disaster and hop over the wall. He confidently refused the blindfold as the firing squad was reassembled. As the rifles were raised in his direction, he grinned from ear to ear and yelled "Fire."

You gave “W” too much credit.

Reactions: windriverrange
In 2016, Florida had a participation rate of 75%. According to the early voting website from the state, 63.8% of all registered voters have already voted early. That would leave about 11-12% (not counting growth) of the expected remaining vote to be outstanding (about 1M votes). If we stay near 75% participation, then I think Trump may be in trouble in Florida. But if we actually get near 80% (which some counties have already achieved), then I think Trump beats Biden by more than a point.

Reactions: iasooner1
In 2016, Florida had a participation rate of 75%. According to the early voting website from the state, 63.8% of all registered voters have already voted early. That would leave about 11-12% (not counting growth) of the expected remaining vote to be outstanding (about 1M votes). If we stay near 75% participation, then I think Trump may be in trouble in Florida. But if we actually get near 80% (which some counties have already achieved), then I think Trump beats Biden by more than a point.

Tulsa county is going to hit 80%

Tulsa is "Average City USA"

Such a different/unique circumstance this cycle. Trump is as polarizing as any modern candidate, the pandemic, economic upheaval, etc. I don't think any past patterns can be readily predicted to repeat.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I was just about to post this. What a ridiculous scenario. I would bet my entire net worth (which is technically negative but whatever 😂) and my first born that he won’t get a 300+ electoral margin.
Take a look at the polling in the states that make up the most likely scenarios - some 75% or more of the simulated outcomes have Biden at more than 300 electoral votes. You can discount the polls if you like, but if you give them any credence at all then this is easy to see.

2020-pres-general-topline-2-1.png

Keep that first born - that is the real treasure.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Take a look at the polling in the states that make up the most likely scenarios - some 75% or more of the simulated outcomes have Biden at more than 300 electoral votes. You can discount the polls if you like, but if you give them any credence at all then this is easy to see.

2020-pres-general-topline-2-1.png

Keep that first born - that is the real treasure.

There is no doubt that Biden can get to 300 EV. There is ZERO chance that Biden gets to +300 as those scenarios show. To indicate that its a possibility that Tennessee switches while showing no possibility that Virginia switches shows real bias in the model.

• Haha
Right now... i have 294-244 Biden wins.

RealClearPolitics (RCP) flipped four crucial battleground states from Joe Biden (D) to President Donald Trump in the final days leading up to the election.

Trump has taken the lead in key states — including Iowa, Georgia, North Carolina, and Ohio — in the final days of the election, according to RCP.

There is no doubt that Biden can get to 300 EV. There is ZERO chance that Biden gets to +300 as those scenarios show. To indicate that its a possibility that Tennessee switches while showing no possibility that Virginia switches shows real bias in the model.
Which poll has VA at less than +10 to Biden that you would say demonstrates Trump as competitive?
Which model has TN as even a possible Biden win?

I don't understand how your point has any bearing on the projections of Biden getting >300 EVs, what am I missing?

RealClearPolitics (RCP) flipped four crucial battleground states from Joe Biden (D) to President Donald Trump in the final days leading up to the election.

Trump has taken the lead in key states — including Iowa, Georgia, North Carolina, and Ohio — in the final days of the election, according to RCP.
Which I think is baked into both of our projections.

Reactions: tlwwake
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT