ADVERTISEMENT

thoughts on current state of affairs

No. Can’t get paid fir his knowledge. Just his name, likeness and image.

This will change the game somewhat. The possibility of Titan Mercury and Sunkist etc, marketing the college athletes likeness? Daton and other elite athletes will be able to get paid while
In school. Not really a wrestling rule, but it will effect the elite guys.

This will change the game somewhat. The possibility of Titan Mercury and Sunkist etc, marketing the college athletes likeness? Daton and other elite athletes will be able to get paid while
In school. Not really a wrestling rule, but it will effect the elite guys.

It will be interesting to see what shakes out and how the NCAA institutes this when they make their final plan.

There will obviously be limitations but this will change things for sure.

here's a question.. once athletes can get paid for their likeness, what happens to sites like flo that profit of showing college athletes that up to this point can't get paid?

Really solid post on themat right now involving something I've thought about lately. How many RTCs currently employ more than one legit senior level athlete? It seems like outside of 2, maybe 3, schools the model just isn't sustainable over any real stretch of time.

Last edited:
Really solid post on themat right now involving something I've thought about lately. How many RTCs currently employ more than one legit senior level athlete? It seems like outside of 2, maybe 3, schools the model just isn't sustainable over any real stretch of time.

I stopped reading themat forum years ago, so I probably don't understand the premise.
But in general, I think the RTC model is quite sustainable provided it doesn't get blown up by the NCAA one day. Plenty of RTCs have more than 1 legit senior level athlete - even we do.

I stopped reading themat forum years ago, so I probably don't understand the premise.
But in general, I think the RTC model is quite sustainable provided it doesn't get blown up by the NCAA one day. Plenty of RTCs have more than 1 legit senior level athlete - even we do.

I should have been more clear. I'm talking places that have multiple senior-level athletes who are, for the most part, funded through the RTC. I have a hard time thinking of more than Iowa and Penn State. Ohio State might still have Martin and Nato so they probably count also. We have Ringer but we barely have an RTC so I can't imagine we are funneling a decent chunk of change to White through our RTC.

My main point is that I bet there aren't as many well funded, sustainable RTCs out there as we think. They just market themselves a lot better than we do.

End of the day, whether you want to call it an RTC, wrestling club or whatever I do think we have built a really solid wrestling room where a kid can train with top talent at every weight range. It is just not labeled or marketed as an RTC.

Last edited:
I should have been more clear. I'm talking places that have multiple senior-level athletes who are, for the most part, funded through the RTC. I have a hard time thinking of more than Iowa and Penn State. Ohio State might still have Martin and Nato so they probably count also. We have Ringer but we barely have an RTC so I can't imagine we are funneling a decent chunk of change to White through our RTC.

My main point is that I bet there aren't as many well funded, sustainable RTCs out there as we think. They just market themselves a lot better than we do.

End of the day, whether you want to call it an RTC, wrestling club or whatever I do think we have built a really solid wrestling room where a kid can train with top talent at every weight range. It is just not labeled or marketed as an RTC.

Speaking of Derek White, look for a surprise showing from him this weekend at the Bill Farrell.

We also have Eddie Klimara. And maybe Noel Torres, who wrestled at Newman - anyone know if he joined the CWC? But I have no idea what we pay these guys. Hopefully it's a good amount.

In terms of RTCs with more than 1 athlete, Ohio St lost McKenna & Snyder, but they still have Myles Martin & Nato, right? Plus Tom Ryan said recently that they may pursue J'den Cox or someone else (stay away from Ringer please). And there are a bunch more - Rutgers/Princeton, Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan, NCST, etc...

@Air_Thurman, reading this again I think our posts probably crossed. When I initially read your post, it didn't have Martin & NATO listed. I guess you edited it and added them later, plus the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs. When I replied, I wasn't sarcastically repeating their names just so you know.

I agree we have a good room, but IMO we need to work on our message & our marketing. I few months ago, Matt Dernlan said (on Ben Askren's podcast) that John hates RTCs and John thinks it's bad for guys to be making big $. His reasoning was that John believes guys lose their competitive edge once they start making $. That's not one of the Flo Stooges saying it, Dernlan is a former D1 head coach. If he's saying that publicly, what do you think opposing coaches are saying to recruits in private?

Reactions: Air_Thurman
@Air_Thurman, reading this again I think our posts probably crossed. When I initially read your post, it didn't have Martin & NATO listed. I guess you edited it and added them later, plus the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs. When I replied, I wasn't sarcastically repeating their names just so you know.

I agree we have a good room, but IMO we need to work on our message & our marketing. I few months ago, Matt Dernlan said (on Ben Askren's podcast) that John hates RTCs and John thinks it's bad for guys to be making big $. His reasoning was that John believes guys lose their competitive edge once they start making $. That's not one of the Flo Stooges saying it, Dernlan is a former D1 head coach. If he's saying that publicly, what do you think opposing coaches are saying to recruits in private?

I didn't know about that podcast interview. I 100% agree with the reasoning that RTCs could lead to some potential big problems from the NCAA and wondering if they are financially sustainable. I couldn't disagree with him more if he is argument is these guys making money is bad. I don't think that is a very smart way to approach it. Thanks for sharing that.

Reactions: Wrassler17
John gives some thoughts on the growth of wrestling and RTCs. He clearly has some concerns about the current model.

Would love to hear more details on any proposed changes he supports.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT