ADVERTISEMENT

thoughts after another ou trouncing

osukev1988

Commitment
Jan 28, 2012
First of all the referee was the best ref in GIA in my lifetime.....seriously he just called what was happening without bias. Second OU only scored a takedown with no time left in the first match and with brewer....wow.
Third I hope KC is ok but honestly am excited to watch Chandler. Fourth while ou refused to even try to score we had a ton of takedowns, some turns, really good chain wrestling to finish some shots....we are just a fun team to watch. Fifth I hope eddie figures out how to make weight because he was gassed before the end of the first period and we need him to make weight 3 days in a row and actually wrestle and finish in the top 5 to even have a shot in march.

It was a great crowd and fun atmosphere and loved seeing Heil, Collica, wrestling with fire in their bellies, Joe providing flashes of his dad and uncle, AD being AD, Boyd looking better every match, and the heavies getting it done. The odds are against us but I refuse to take no for an answer and believe if we want it bad enough this group can bring home the gold.

Go Pokes

First of all the referee was the best ref in GIA in my lifetime.....seriously he just called what was happening without bias. Second OU only scored a takedown with no time left in the first match and with brewer....wow.
Third I hope KC is ok but honestly am excited to watch Chandler. Fourth while ou refused to even try to score we had a ton of takedowns, some turns, really good chain wrestling to finish some shots....we are just a fun team to watch. Fifth I hope eddie figures out how to make weight because he was gassed before the end of the first period and we need him to make weight 3 days in a row and actually wrestle and finish in the top 5 to even have a shot in march.

It was a great crowd and fun atmosphere and loved seeing Heil, Collica, wrestling with fire in their bellies, Joe providing flashes of his dad and uncle, AD being AD, Boyd looking better every match, and the heavies getting it done. The odds are against us but I refuse to take no for an answer and believe if we want it bad enough this group can bring home the gold.

Go Pokes
Totally agree, I thought the referee and the crowd were outstanding.

Hate to knit pick but 49 and 97 got takedowns on us...... Just to be fair.....if I'm reading your post right. The officiating was as good and consistent as I have ever seen!

I wonder how bad crutchmer's injury is. If Rogers were to wrestle Sunday and beat realbuto, smith would have a difficult decision to make....

in my old age the memory comes and goes lol....yes 49 got a takedown as did 97....49 was stalling most of the match so it slipped my mind. I do support this team and coaching staff with whomever i see on the mat but if it were up to me Rogers would have been starting after the Scuffle.

in my old age the memory comes and goes lol....yes 49 got a takedown as did 97....49 was stalling most of the match so it slipped my mind. I do support this team and coaching staff with whomever i see on the mat but if it were up to me Rogers would have been starting after the Scuffle.
My heart says Rogers. My mind tells me Crutchmer. Kyle is not as fun to watch but there is a reason he is the starter. I can not honestly say who wins out in the room on a daily basis but one ranking match sticks in my mind and that was 10-0 for Crutchmer. Crutchmer's main assets are his strength and explosive moves. His liabilities are just as obvious in that he is overly cautious and waits for that one moment to use his strength and explosiveness for the critical takedown. This can backfire as it did last night when the explosive takedown move was countered by a very athletic move by Reed. Very few would argue that if the injury did not occur that Crutchmer would win the match. Crutchmer made few offensive moves but Reed made NONE,
I hope that the injury to Crutchmer is fleeting and goes away but I bet he will not wrestle tomorrow. I know Chandler will stand in and give it his all which may not be enough against Realbuto but then again many of us felt that he had pinned Realbuto in Chattanooga.

My heart says Rogers. My mind tells me Crutchmer. Kyle is not as fun to watch but there is a reason he is the starter. I can not honestly say who wins out in the room on a daily basis but one ranking match sticks in my mind and that was 10-0 for Crutchmer. Crutchmer's main assets are his strength and explosive moves. His liabilities are just as obvious in that he is overly cautious and waits for that one moment to use his strength and explosiveness for the critical takedown. This can backfire as it did last night when the explosive takedown move was countered by a very athletic move by Reed. Very few would argue that if the injury did not occur that Crutchmer would win the match. Crutchmer made few offensive moves but Reed made NONE,
I hope that the injury to Crutchmer is fleeting and goes away but I bet he will not wrestle tomorrow. I know Chandler will stand in and give it his all which may not be enough against Realbuto but then again many of us felt that he had pinned Realbuto in Chattanooga.
BTW, I agree with Kevin that the referee was outstanding. Josh Briscoe was his name which makes me wonder if he could be related to Jack Briscoe who wrestled when I was in school at OSU in the early to mid 60's. Tried to google him but there was a black football player at Tennessee who showed up in most of the threads. I will have to ask Russ and the George's (the Blackwell boys if he was related to Jack).

I think that two of the losses we sustained at 125 and 174 were a function of John working them up to the day of the match. Eddie ran out of gas not due to cutting weight, but nobody had any rest. I noticed that Heil quit trying to turn and just hung on to get the major as he was gassed. Many will say it is because they are not in shape. I say it is part of John's master plan that it is all practice up until March.

Crutchmer and Klimara are better than the guys they lost to, but they are not that much better that they can go into the third period with a one point lead and the opponent down and expect to get the win while being exhausted and in Crutchmer's case shouting an F-bomb so loud It was clearly audible on television. Given rest both of those matches would be different. I am sure that both will look much better at the big 12 tournament.

As far as weight Eddie is a small 125 pounder. If he can make it to the quarterfinals at Madison Square Guardan and have a short turnaround after weigh-in he could take one of those larger top 4 ranked wrestlers in the quarters. I recall his sophomore year he made weight by Wednesday morning and I do not think he has grown that much. My feeling he was just tired from not having any rest.

I agree that the officiating was good as he kept the wrestlers going.

I like where this team is and look forward to a great match at Cornell.

Brewer looks like the same wrestler he was in March of last year. I think in a rematch he will whip Garrett, but I do not think we can gauge that match based off of how Harding wrestles Garrett as Harding should be rested in Ithaca.

Last edited:
I think that two of the losses we sustained at 125 and 174 were a function of John working them up to the day of the match. Eddie ran out of gas not due to cutting weight, but nobody had any rest. I noticed that Heil quit trying to turn and just hung on to get the major as he was gassed. Many will say it is because they are not in shape. I say it is part of John's master plan that it is all practice up until March.

Crutchmer and Klimara are better than the guys they lost to, but they are not that much better that they can go into the third period with a one point lead and the opponent down and expect to get the win while being exhausted and in Crutchmer's case shouting an F-bomb so loud It was clearly audible on television. Given rest both of those matches would be different. I am sure that both will look much better at the big 12 tournament.

As far as weight Eddie is a small 125 pounder. If he can make it to the quarterfinals at Madison Square Guardian and have a short turnaround after weigh-in he could take one of those larger top 4 ranked wrestlers in the quarters. I recall his sophomore year he made weight by Wednesday morning and I do not think he has grown that much. My feeling he was just tired from not having any rest.

I agree that the officiating was good as he kept the wrestlers going.

I like where this team is and look forward to a great match at Cornell.

Brewer looks like the same wrestler he was in March of last year. I think in a rematch he will whip Garrett, but I do not think we can gauge that match based off of how Harding wrestles Garrett as Harding should be rested in Ithaca.
Matfan I believe you are right and also heard that John pushed them hard the day of the match. However, Heil did have a tech fall cinched with RT and therefore did not have to go for any more turns. It was 17-2 with RT.
Problem for Eddie is that the loss will hurt him in the seedings and make his road harder to make it to the quarters. Have you been around Tognetti lately? I ask as you elevated the status of Madison square Garden to "Guardian".

I really don't think the loss by ek will hurt him to bad in the seeds. Milhoff was ranked 10 and has been on a tear lately beating a lot of ranked guys. Plus ek beat him already this year and could have a rematch at big 12s. Another loss at big 12s would really hurt his seed. I like Eddie but I think 5th at ncaas is his best shot. The top 4 at 25 are at a different level right now. However, crazy crazy things happen in March!

I took my two year old and had a blast. Pokes looked great. I haven't been to a match in probably ten years and I saw who I think had to be TOG's dad taking pictures beside the mat. Must have been filling in for his son.

Reactions: oberebo
I changed the spelling of Garden. I guess I have just been reading too may of his posts.

It appeared to me that Heil was wanting to get the tech fall earlier and just could not turn the kid and decided he would just try to ride him out. It seemed obvious to me that all wrestlers seemed to gas in third period. I do think John pushing the wrestlers up to the day of the match is why Iowa fans think that OK State stalls. Funny how it does not happen at the NCAA tourney.

Eddie does have another shot at Milhoff at the Big 12's and that will determine seeding. The Cruchmer match could be more of a problem. I watched the Penn State vs Ohio State match and it seems strange that Bo Nickell wrestles the same as Crutchmer except he just waits for someone to shoot against him and he counters with the strongest hips I have seen in years and gets the takedown. He will be scouted and not make the finals as he appears to be a one trick pony, but he is very good at what he does.

Reactions: oberebo
Just my thoughts as an OU fan:

Much better results in front of the biggest crowd I've seen in GIA in quite some time. Still not overly competitive with OSU as a team, but most of our guys improved a ton, and that's really all I asked for going in. And we added in a fresh face from last year who I am guessing has been injured all this year (any one know about Shayne Tucker?). It was 20-11, with two matches to go, one of which we were favored to win. Not that we were ever in danger of winning the dual, but still much better than last Bedlam, that's for sure.

125 - Ryan Milhoff beat Eddie Klimara on one of the slickest duck unders you'll ever see. First time to ever beat Eddie, and really helped set the stage for the rest of the night. I said earlier he needed to at least stay close if he wanted to be an AA-type kid. I think he moved closer towards that last night.
133 - Cody Brewer with a tech fall over Gary Wayne Harding. Little bit of a surprise considering how easy it was for Cody. Still, really wish Kaid was healthy. Would have been a great match.
141 - Dean Heil with a tech fall over a RF who we just inserted into the lineup. Don't know a ton about him, other than he's a 3x state champ from Missouri. Looked decent until near the end of the second period.
149 - Davion Jefferies looked like a true freshman most the match, but turned it on at the end. Still lost to Collica, but I think he has some promise later on in his career. 2x state champion, 3x finalist from Broken Arrow at 138 pounds, he looks to small for 149. When he grows into his weight, he should be much better.
157 - Joe Smith beat Shayne Tucker, but it was a lot tougher than I thought it would be going in. Not sure why Shayne's been out all year but it's good to see him back in the lineup. Returning Big Twelve champion, this gives us a little bit more competitive edge with him in their.
165 - Alex Dieringer crushed Clark Glass. Like he does everybody else.
174 - Matt Reed upset Kyle Crutchmer, 3-2. Strange ending, but suffice it to say Matt looked much better than last time, obviously. Still waiting for him to make an offensive move, but Crutchmer made only two legit attempts at a takedown as well. Neither one pushed the action a bunch. Looked like his game plan was to make Kyle frustrated, which he accomplished. Even if Kyle doesn't pop off, it goes into overtime. And until I see a review that shows me otherwise, Matt had at a minimum two back points the ref didn't call in that super scramble at the beginning of the second period.
184 - OU just can't find a competitive wrestler at this weight. Andrew Dixon crushed by Nolan Boyd by a major decision.
197 - Brad Johnson loses a close one due to riding time to Weigel of OSU. Not much of an upset....Brad was probably favored on paper, but they're both going to just qualify for the NCAAs. And if you're honest, Weigel was less offensive than Matt Reed was. But I didn't hear the crowd scream for the ref to hit him with stalling.
HWT - Another match that just came down to riding time. But at least Ross Larsden lost to a ranked kid in Austin Marsden. Neither one with much offense, either way.

All in all, much more competitive. Still a loooooong way to go, and we're not going to be good enough to beat an OSU-level team this year. Just not enough hosses. But we looked much better than we did in December, and that's a good step.

And as far as the "we looked fatigued because John pushed them so hard this week" argument, does anyone know for a fact that Cody didn't have the OU wrestlers working out that day as well? I find it extremely hard to believe John Smith is the only coach in wrestling that does this.

Just some thoughts.

I agree that OU looked better last night then dec. would not of taken much. My big question with them is Cody's ability to recruit. He has had some major busts and since the departure of Air-Frayer they have not done much! Looks like that's an area in which he has dropped the ball. Hope they can turn it around and once again make Bedlam close! What an atmosphere last night!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT