149 - #1 Zain Rutherford has 7 falls and 1 TF
157 - #1 Jason Nolf has 5 falls and 3 TF
184 - #2 Bo Nichal has 6 falls

All Bonus Point Wins

All Bonus Point Wins
Are you a PSU fan? Why would you post that, our team is looking really solid this year to make a run at the title? PSU has at least 3 holes in there lineup and we don't. Guys are getting better and I'm sure PSU guys will to, but there 133,141,174 will score every few points at Nationals. Not high on there 197 pounder but some people are, come Nationals we will see what happens at that weight. Weigel just improves a little on his feet will be top 3. I feel that Schafer could score more points at Nationals then Nevills, and I feel both will AA. I'm shell shocked from your post. Please like another team, to just post what you just did makes my head explode.
Exploding_head_by_MAOTHEBROK.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokes2010
Are you a PSU fan? Why would you post that, our team is looking really solid this year to make a run at the title? PSU has at least 3 holes in there lineup and we don't. Guys are getting better and I'm sure PSU guys will to, but there 133,141,174 will score every few points at Nationals. Not high on there 197 pounder but some people are, come Nationals we will see what happens at that weight. Weigel just improves a little on his feet will be top 3. I feel that Schafer could score more points at Nationals then Nevills, and I feel both will AA. I'm shell shocked from your post. Please like another team, to just post what you just did makes my head explode.
Exploding_head_by_MAOTHEBROK.jpg
Mike, old number nine is a great supporter of Cowboy wrestling. He was merely pointing out the obvious. We have a lot of bonus point getters on our team also and we will need them to take our 35th championship in March. Lighten up a little wireman.

Mike, old number nine is a great supporter of Cowboy wrestling. He was merely pointing out the obvious. We have a lot of bonus point getters on our team also and we will need them to take our 35th championship in March. Lighten up a little wireman.
I stand by my post turncoat, also they really haven't wrestled anybody so far as we haven't too. But I'm not the one crowning PSU or OSU winning it by how many pins or wins they have this early in the season.. Just we are looking really tuff this early in the season, especially on top.

Last edited:
I stand by my post turncoat, also they really haven't wrestled anybody so far as we haven't too. But I'm not the one crowning PSU or OSU winning it by how many pins or wins they have this early in the season.. Just we are looking really tuff this early in the season, especially on top.
Mike, you have pointed out our greatest improvement thus far in the early season and that is We are much improved in the top position and that goes for most of our wrestlers.

All Bonus Point Wins

i don't take this as a shot at ok st

penn st has made a lot of hay at nationals with their bonus scoring and has three guys who will score like 5 this year

Anybody who is following wrestling knows about their three studs, what about the other 7 and what they have done against average competition. Suriono/Joseph seen to be a very good wrestlers but hasn't shown bonus point against anybody that is going to wrestle at Nationals yet. As for all the other wrestlers on their team even less of a chance to get bonus points. They have three bonus point wrestlers and a few holes in there lineup that will win a few at Nationals at the best at this time. We have a solid team from light to heavy that can produce a lot of point during that tournament. Are we going to be the kind of fan that always looks at the other teams and wish we had wrestlers like those three or move on and be happy with what we have. I'm the one wanting them during recruiting and once they sign with someone else, move on and cheer and happy with the ones we got.

Last edited:
PSU scored 8 1/2 more bonus points than OSU last year, 19.5-11. That is the equivalent of an extra AA in the 5th-6th range. Or to put it another way, they gained an extra AA through bonus points in their 25.5 point margin.

Our guys seem to have that sense of urgency this year in seeking bonus instead of coasting. That will narrow the gap, and hopefully the depth in our lineup will overcome it. Will need an excellent tournament from all!

John's comments after one of the duals was we need to score more bonus points. I like what I have seen out of our team thus far. Some of the Penn State bonus points have come off of backup wrestlers on non D1 opponents, but those three should be able to score big bonus points through the quarter final round. My thoughts are that we have ten guys that will probably score as many bonus points as their ten so it should balance out. It is a long season, but bonus points do count for a lot at the NCAA tournament. Wrestling has lots of injuries. I think we have quite a few back up wrestlers that finish maybe one or two spots behind our starters. Penn State has depth, but not that much. Our problem is Penn State's better wrestlers are a weak weights where we have solid contenders at some very brutal weights like 141 and 184. Heil won it last year and Boyd can wrestler with anybody!

Old Number Nine is just reinforcing what John is saying.

John's comments after one of the duals was we need to score more bonus points. I like what I have seen out of our team thus far. Some of the Penn State bonus points have come off of backup wrestlers on non D1 opponents, but those three should be able to score big bonus points through the quarter final round. My thoughts are that we have ten guys that will probably score as many bonus points as their ten so it should balance out. It is a long season, but bonus points do count for a lot at the NCAA tournament. Wrestling has lots of injuries. I think we have quite a few back up wrestlers that finish maybe one or two spots behind our starters. Penn State has depth, but not that much. Our problem is Penn State's better wrestlers are a weak weights where we have solid contenders at some very brutal weights like 141 and 184. Heil won it last year and Boyd can wrestler with anybody!

Old Number Nine is just reinforcing what John is saying.
Last year we had lots of injuries 33(2),49,57,& 74 during the season. These year their is only going to be one 157 so things equal out. " It going to be a beautiful bridge and its going to be their" Kelly's Hero

I agree...not a shot at OSU some people are awfully touching.... Geez. It's simple.....the team who stays healthy and DOES bonus will win! I believe John is making that a point of emphasis and I also believe that OSU will continue to improve on that aspect.

Anybody who is following wrestling knows about their three studs, what about the other 7 and what they have done against average competition. Suriono/Joseph seen to be a very good wrestlers but hasn't shown bonus point against anybody that is going to wrestle at Nationals yet. As for all the other wrestlers on their team even less of a chance to get bonus points. They have three bonus point wrestlers and a few holes in there lineup that will win a few at Nationals at the best at this time. We have a solid team from light to heavy that can produce a lot of point during that tournament. Are we going to be the kind of fan that always looks at the other teams and wish we had wrestlers like those three or move on and be happy with what we have. I'm the one wanting them during recruiting and once they sign with someone else, move on and cheer and happy with the ones we got.

are you ok?

Mike is ok! He is just a very big fan of OSU wrestling and this is our kitchen table so he has every right to take it as an insult. I love how hard everybody in the wrestling room is working. Last year at this time I did not see any way this team would be in the running for a top three result after graduating Ringer and two other AA's. This is a function of the guys working their butts off the room and buying into what Coach Smith is saying. Also a contributing factor is great depth in the room at every weight. I was surprised at how well our back-ups have wrestled at open tournaments. At virtually every weight we have someone that is pushing the starter.

In a way it looks like and insult from Old Number Nine, but I see it as encouragement to open it up and go for more bonus points. That is what John wants. Losing a match this early in the season is discouraging to the wrestler (especially when everyone else is winning), but if you lose the match because you are going for bonus points so be it. We need to be getting the experience of pounding opponents now so when the lights are brighter in St. Louis we are getting bonus points there.

Last edited:
Mike is ok! He is just a very big fan of OSU wrestling and this is our kitchen table so he has every right to take it as an insult. I love how hard everybody in the wrestling room is working. Last year at this time I did not see any way this team would be in the running for a top three result after graduating Ringer and two other AA's. This is a function of the guys working their butts off the room and buying into what Coach Smith is saying. Also a contributing factor is great depth in the room at every weight. I was surprised at how well our back-ups have wrestled at open tournaments. At virtually every weight we have someone that is pushing the starter.

In a way it looks like and insult from Old Number Nine, but I see it as encouragement to open it up and go for more bonus points. That is what John wants. Losing a match this early in the season is discouraging to the wrestler (especially when everyone else is winning), but if you lose the match because you are going for bonus points so be it. We need to be getting the experience of pounding opponents now so when the lights are brighter in St. Louis we are getting bonus points there.

glad he's ok
couldn't tell if it was his kitchen table or ours

glad he's ok
couldn't tell if it was his kitchen table or ours
Mike is OK but sometimes it is similar to when your were a kid and put vinegar and baking powder together and waited for the reaction. He is volatile and he will react. I will try to keep him on a short leash. :)

Mike

You’re sounding a lot like a democrat; show you a statistical fact that you don’t like and your head explodes.

I’m Orange all the way; OSU grad, born and raised in Tulsa. I could no more root for Penn St. wrestling then I could for OU anything. I’m just pointing out what was reiterated by others; we’ll probably need to score a lot of bonus points to win the NCAA and we aren’t doing that right now.

A Tech is great but at least try for a pin before the last take-down or cheap tilt. At this point in the season I’d rather miss the Tech while going for a pin, especially in a match that is never going to be close.

Here are some more facts for your “haven’t wrestled anyone yet” comment to make your head explode, again:

NP – 8 matches against opponents ranked < 30 with 2 TF (3 ranked < 250)
BK – 7 matches against opponents ranked < 20 with 1 F (1 ranked < 250)
DH – 6 matches against opponents ranked < 25 with 2 TF (3 ranked < 250)
AC – 2 matches against opponents ranked < 25 with 0 F/TF
CR – 6 matches against opponents ranked < 20 with 2 F (2 ranked < 250)
KC – 3 matches against opponents ranked < 45 with 1 F, 1 TF (2 of 3)
NB – 7 matches against opponents ranked < 25 with 1 F, 3 TF (4 of 7)
PW – 4 matches against opponents ranked < 25 with 2 TF (2 of 4)
AS – 5 matches against opponents ranked < 70 with 3 TF (3 of 5)

That's 19 F/TF against lower ranked wrestlers (37%)

FYI; we are 9 of 15 F/TF against wrestlers ranked < 255 (basically Unranked)

Mike

You’re sounding a lot like a democrat; show you a statistical fact that you don’t like and your head explodes.

I’m Orange all the way; OSU grad, born and raised in Tulsa. I could no more root for Penn St. wrestling then I could for OU anything. I’m just pointing out what was reiterated by others; we’ll probably need to score a lot of bonus points to win the NCAA and we aren’t doing that right now.

A Tech is great but at least try for a pin before the last take-down or cheap tilt. At this point in the season I’d rather miss the Tech while going for a pin, especially in a match that is never going to be close.

Here are some more facts for your “haven’t wrestled anyone yet” comment to make your head explode, again:

NP – 8 matches against opponents ranked < 30 with 2 TF (3 ranked < 250)
BK – 7 matches against opponents ranked < 20 with 1 F (1 ranked < 250)
DH – 6 matches against opponents ranked < 25 with 2 TF (3 ranked < 250)
AC – 2 matches against opponents ranked < 25 with 0 F/TF
CR – 6 matches against opponents ranked < 20 with 2 F (2 ranked < 250)
KC – 3 matches against opponents ranked < 45 with 1 F, 1 TF (2 of 3)
NB – 7 matches against opponents ranked < 25 with 1 F, 3 TF (4 of 7)
PW – 4 matches against opponents ranked < 25 with 2 TF (2 of 4)
AS – 5 matches against opponents ranked < 70 with 3 TF (3 of 5)

That's 19 F/TF against lower ranked wrestlers (37%)

FYI; we are 9 of 15 F/TF against wrestlers ranked < 255 (basically Unranked)
I believe you have your lesser than/greater than the wrong way.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Mike is OK but sometimes it is similar to when your were a kid and put vinegar and baking powder together and waited for the reaction. He is volatile and he will react. I will try to keep him on a short leash. :)

Be careful! If you have him on a short leash, he has a better chance of biting you. :) You are better off keeping him in a cage.

I believe you have your lesser than/greater than the wrong way.

That all depends on if you think a #1 ranking is greater that #10. That's the way I think, therefore, #25 is < #1 and from that; rankings 25 through 255 are less than 1 - 24. Doesn't everybody refer to a good ranking (with a lower cardinal number) as a "higher ranking"?

Reactions: RNGwaddie
mike i'm with ya. lets focus on what our guys are doing well. it's early in the season and i'm excited to see us jump levels as the season go's on.

Reactions: osu2082
mike i'm with ya. lets focus on what our guys are doing well. it's early in the season and i'm excited to see us jump levels as the season go's on.
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the electric man from Texas I would say the team to beat at Nationals is not Iowa or Penn State but Ohio State. I watched them pick apart Missouri yesterday and they may have only one or two weights where they are a little weak. Jose Rodriguez at 125 has had some good wins this year as a freshman and won 3-1 over Assad yesterday. At 133 Tomasello md win over Eierman 12-2 and Eierman is tough. They had to replace KeShawn Hayes but Luke Pletcher a true freshman came in and dec. Zach Synon 6-4. Micah Jordan had a 23-7 tf in his match as Lavion Mayes was injured. I believe he would have beaten Mayes and he maybe the best Jordan of the three. They are fairly week at 157 as Jake Ryan, the coaches son lost to Joey Lavalle from Mo 12-5. They are also not AA status at 165 and Burcher lost to Daniel Lewis 6-1. Bo Jordan ranked #1 at 174 beat the Missouri backup Wisman 14-6. Returning national champion Myles Martin at 184 had a 20-5 tf win. J'den Cox the returning national champ and Olympic Medalist had to fight off true Freshman Kollin Moore giving up two takedowns in the 3rd period and only winning 6-4 and of course Olympic and National champion Snyder dominated in the heavy weight match. Admittedly, Missouri had 3 starters out of the lineup but I believe they would have lost 2 of those three weight anyway including IMO Mayes losing to Micah Jordan. This does not in any way degrade our wrestlers and their accomplishments this season. Just pointing out that it will be a 3-4 team race at Nationals. We can win it this year but we will be in a battle.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the electric man from Texas I would say the team to beat at Nationals is not Iowa or Penn State but Ohio State.

There's no doubt they are in the conversation as a top 3/4 team, but I don't think that meet showed they jump PSU in terms of the top worry for Nationals.

125: Mizzu was wrestling backup but he could've/should've beat JR. Tann made a bad call not giving the escape then td, which would've given Assad chance for comeback win. NP is much better than Assad, but there's the freshman factor for both NP & JR.

141: Synon, and guess the coaches, were just plain stupid here. It was obvious he could ride out, just cut Pletcher at 50/55s of rt, take him down again and ride him out. Cut early also have a chance for stall warning which makes Pletcher have to wrestle. Heil would have no trouble here but not likely to face him in tourney.

149: Yes MJ is good, but we knew that before.

165: Burcher is tough maybe not great, but Lewis didn't wrestle well.

174: Bo is Bo but will be interesting to see how Bo does against and immovable force

197: Yes Moore is good, but still the Fr factor different in a single match versus running the gauntlet at nationals.

285: This kid's gonna pin folks - no new news.

Mizzu wrestled bad

tOSU has 3 freshmen which is a little different in a single dual where can prep for one guy versus tourney where have to be ready for all style - remember OSU last year with 4 freshmen

Wisman is the Mizzou starter Obe, Picc and Jose are pretty familiar with each other already. Jose started his wrestling career in NY and moved to Ohio going into his sophomore year after taking 2nd here

In my opinion I took away two things from the duel last night.
1) Missouri has a lot of injuries currently. I would have picked wins for McGhee, Lavion, & Miklus last night
2) Jaden Cox looked gassed. Making Moore look pretty good. Not too sure this match will be that close come March.

Watching the match it seemed like the ref was coaching the Buckeyes. He kept telling BoJo his positions while riding. It seemed odd to me. Sitting 4 rows from the mat in GIA I've never heard Kenny or anyone else talk to the wrestlers like that.

Watching the match it seemed like the ref was coaching the Buckeyes. He kept telling BoJo his positions while riding. It seemed odd to me. Sitting 4 rows from the mat in GIA I've never heard Kenny or anyone else talk to the wrestlers like that.

Seen this from Tann a lot, he tends to get a bit to cozy with the home team, makes it look like there are "homer" calls but does similar at various locations in the B10.

In my opinion I took away two things from the duel last night.
1) Missouri has a lot of injuries currently. I would have picked wins for McGhee, Lavion, & Miklus last night
2) Jaden Cox looked gassed. Making Moore look pretty good. Not too sure this match will be that close come March.

Missouri did have injuries but IMO Mayes would not have beaten Jordan. J'Den Cox did look tired but that was because he was having to exert maximum effort to keep from being taken down. Moore is going to be great. Pletcher got his first two takedowns on counter moves by Synon. :Yes, Heil can dec. them both and Pletcher is just too short to win against the big dogs. I was surprised that Tomasello beat Eierman that badly. Eierman is very good and has and will give Kaid a battle. :Up and down the lineup sans 165,174 Ohio State is tough. At present I say we win handily at 125, lose at 133, win easily at 141, toss up match at 149, win with Joe at 157, win with Chandler at 165, toss up at 174 but I give the edge to Crutchmer hoping he never takes bottom, lose at 184, win in a close one at 197 and lose at heavy weight. I say we win 6 of ten in a dual.

Missouri did have injuries but IMO Mayes would not have beaten Jordan. J'Den Cox did look tired but that was because he was having to exert maximum effort to keep from being taken down. Moore is going to be great. Pletcher got his first two takedowns on counter moves by Synon. :Yes, Heil can dec. them both and Pletcher is just too short to win against the big dogs. I was surprised that Tomasello beat Eierman that badly. Eierman is very good and has and will give Kaid a battle. :Up and down the lineup sans 165,174 Ohio State is tough. At present I say we win handily at 125, lose at 133, win easily at 141, toss up match at 149, win with Joe at 157, win with Chandler at 165, toss up at 174 but I give the edge to Crutchmer hoping he never takes bottom, lose at 184, win in a close one at 197 and lose at heavy weight. I say we win 6 of ten in a dual.

agree, but for the tournament it isn't about winning certain weight class match ups, there are other folks who's style make knock guys out.

for example Pletcher is small but maybe Synon is just too tall & skinny to go with him, someone else may knock Pletcher out because of his size.

same true with Eierman - he may just be a bad style matchup for NaTo. KB is a much more neutral body size/type to handle many styles versus someone like Eiermen/Synon or Pletcher. Think KB matches up better against NaTo but he doesn't have to finish ahead of him to score a lot of points and still do more for his team than say Pletcher might

i know little jordan is pretty dang good but the guy who he wrestled has been wrestling 41 all year. the guy was like 4th or 5th at the weight moran won at the joe parisi tournament this year. so that win is not impressive to me. as far as kaid and our other wrestlers let them take the mat first and see how it goes. we know its a 3 team race but lets not go over board with crowning ohio state as the team to beat. we all have the potential to win. it's a long season and it will all play out in march.

i know little jordan is pretty dang good but the guy who he wrestled has been wrestling 41 all year. the guy was like 4th or 5th at the weight moran won at the joe parisi tournament this year. so that win is not impressive to me. as far as kaid and our other wrestlers let them take the mat first and see how it goes. we know its a 3 team race but lets not go over board with crowning ohio state as the team to beat. we all have the potential to win. it's a long season and it will all play out in march.[/QUOT
This was not meant to be a post crowning them national champions but at this stage of the season they look to be very strong, certainly stronger than Iowa and they have the same or more front line strength as PSU. We would match up in a dual but they may be a better tournament team than any of us.

Ohio state has too many places where they prob won't score a lot of points. 125-- jrod is off to a good start but I think he is more as to what he showed last night. 141- I really like Pletcher but his size will become an issue. Ryan is struggling pretty bad right now. They have their studs no doubt but I really feel they are third at best.

Ohio state has too many places where they prob won't score a lot of points. 125-- jrod is off to a good start but I think he is more as to what he showed last night. 141- I really like Pletcher but his size will become an issue. Ryan is struggling pretty bad right now. They have their studs no doubt but I really feel they are third at best.
They do have holes but "their studs" include 2 returning national champions, Two Jordans and Tomasello. That is a lot points at nationals if they just finish to seed. I probably agree with your post that they may finish third.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT