ADVERTISEMENT

"The Night Of" HBO

osutater

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2007
Did anyone watch it? If not you should have. It's off to a great start.

The Pakistani kid is a great actor and I think the detective is going to be a good character.

The Pakistani kid is a great actor and I think the detective is going to be a good character.
Yea, the Pakistani kid is pretty good. I bet this thing will have all kinds of weird angles. On the surface, it's like "how in the hell is he going to get himself out of this one?"...but you wouldn't have a show if it were that easy.

This is doing what I wish True Detective had done. Pairing a writer with a director for the whole run. Richard Price, who is a fantastic writer, at least co-wrote every episode, and Steve Zaillian directs all but one episode. I think that bodes pretty well.

Found myself talking to the tv telling him to shut up and don't say anything other than I want a lawyer.

Reactions: CowboyJD
I enjoyed it. I like the twist on the eccentric investigator motif by having an eccentric defense attorney. Which is the red herring: the girl seemingly being suicidal, or the mystery second dude who harassed the kid before he went into the brownstone?

I enjoyed it. I like the twist on the eccentric investigator motif by having an eccentric defense attorney. Which is the red herring: the girl seemingly being suicidal, or the mystery second dude who harassed the kid before he went into the brownstone?

The second dude has to be one (Red herring). There's also the fat guy who called the cops. Lots of shots of him seemed to drag an extra second or two beyond what felt right.

Last edited:

What about the limo driver who was staring them down at the convenience store?

Or, maybe we will find out that she has an ex who she was afraid of...which is why she said she can't be alone tonight.

One thing that bugged me. Why did he take the knife?

Reactions: Orange Jennyslipper
Mrs. AB and I just watched it Tuesday night. We're in. Bigtime.

Turturro was just on Colbert. Fun interview. I know I haven't seen all his work, but I know I've never seen a mediocre performance.

Mrs. AB and I just watched it Tuesday night. We're in. Bigtime.

Turturro was just on Colbert. Fun interview. I know I haven't seen all his work, but I know I've never seen a mediocre performance.
Same here. Haven't watched a good, solid cop/crime show in a long time. Very satisfying.

Nice catch on the backdoor Been, I was wondering how they got in without messing with the front door.

Detective Box is solid too. That combover gives him a real sense of legitimacy.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Nice catch on the backdoor Been, I was wondering how they got in without messing with the front door.

When she put the cat out, I noticed that the metal door didn't latch and kind of bounced a bit. Living with 2 cats that get into everything, and find ways to open doors that are supposed to be closed, I was thinking that one of my cats would probably get back in (unless the door was simply too heavy for them). After watching the full episode, it seemed pretty likely that the door not latching (and the whole scene with the cat) was an intentional clue for the viewer.

When she put the cat out, I noticed that the metal door didn't latch and kind of bounced a bit. Living with 2 cats that get into everything, and find ways to open doors that are supposed to be closed, I was thinking that one of my cats would probably get back in (unless the door was simply too heavy for them). After watching the full episode, it seemed pretty likely that the door not latching (and the whole scene with the cat) was an intentional clue for the viewer.
The final scene with his dad standing in the middle of the street, the cat crosses the street behind him. ;)

The final scene with his dad standing in the middle of the street, the cat crosses the street behind him. ;)

Really? That would have to be a different cat. Pretty sure that Naz and the girl live in completely different boroughs.

Really? That would have to be a different cat. Pretty sure that Naz and the girl live in completely different boroughs.
So being drug ignorant, does it matter what pill they took? Is there one that would cause you not only not to react, but want to have sex immediately after having a knife stuck through your hand?

Cause I want some of that.

So being drug ignorant, does it matter what pill they took? Is there one that would cause you not only not to react, but want to have sex immediately after having a knife stuck through your hand?

Cause I want some of that.

Good question. I did notice that they showed the pills on the opening credits, so maybe that is significant. I took the knife through the hand thing as a way to show us that she was a sick individual who enjoyed extreme S&M. I figured the deep scratches on his back were further evidence that she got off on the rough stuff.

I assumed it was ecstasy. Kids these days. Why can't they just put stuff where it belongs, you know, on Rollin' Stoned blotter paper and purple microdot?

Edited to add that from the time he decided to "borrow" the taxi, every single decision made by poor Naz was made by his small head, not the big one. Every. Single. One.

Every time one of the dozens of things happened that you know is going to be used against him in court, my wife and I shook our heads, looked at each other and said, "Oh, shit."

Last edited:
Being a lefty is the only thing that's gonna help the kid with forensics. The guy at the gas station was driving hearse not a limmo. That would be a cool serial killer vehicle in a city like Gotham.

Being a lefty is the only thing that's gonna help the kid with forensics. The guy at the gas station was driving hearse not a limmo. That would be a cool serial killer vehicle in a city like Gotham.

They made a big deal about his clothes and the chain of custody with someone other than the forensics guys transporting them. I bet that comes back up.

Calling it now. The stepfather is the killer. The actor was a key character in Boardwalk Empire and he is the only one I recognize besides Turtoro.

PS. What's up with Gandolfini being executive producer? I guess he started the project before he died?

Calling it now. The stepfather is the killer. The actor was a key character in Boardwalk Empire and he is the only one I recognize besides Turtoro.

PS. What's up with Gandolfini being executive producer? I guess he started the project before he died?
I believe Gandolfini was involved in the project before he died and was also supposed to play John Stone.

Reactions: Been Jammin
I believe Gandolfini was involved in the project before he died and was also supposed to play John Stone.

I never saw a minute of The Sopranos, but I hit rewind during the credits last week. I thought, "THE James Gandolfini?" He was solid as a rock in The Drop, is all I know. After seeing Turturro, it's hard to imagine Gandolfini as Stone.

It's after 10 and I just got in the house from mowing. I have 3-4 four good shows to watch tonight. I'll flip a coin to see if "The Night of..." or "Preacher" gets cued up first. And people wonder why I don't get up at the crack of dawn. Also have The Tunnel and Masterpiece Mystery from PBS, Medium Cool and a silent oldie, Souls for Sale on TCM and The Allman Bros, After the Crash. Big Brother can wait until tomorrow night.

Damn. I might throw some ribs in the smoker, first. Gonna be a long night.

Last edited:
Box: Sergeant, these people are his parents. What's the harm in letting them see their son?

Sergeant: Do you want me to argue with you a little, or just leave it at that?

Box: Just leave it at that.

Box turns and gives a tight-lipped, plastic smile to Naz' parents.

Man, I love this show!

Box: Sergeant, these people are his parents. What's the harm in letting them see their son?

Sergeant: Do you want me to argue with you a little, or just leave it at that?

Box: Just leave it at that.

Box turns and gives a tight-lipped, plastic smile to Naz' parents.

Man, I love this show!
I'm really loving Box.

My money is on the stepfather as well. I say he was already at her place waiting on her to come home, got angry she was sleeping with Naz and not him (sicko), lost it and killed her. Left Naz alive as the fall guy.

My money is on the stepfather as well. I say he was already at her place waiting on her to come home, got angry she was sleeping with Naz and not him (sicko), lost it and killed her. Left Naz alive as the fall guy.

I say he snuck in through the patio where she put the cat. Maybe took the cat with him when he left. She told Naz that she can't be alone tonight because he had been stalking her and she had made it clear to him that it was never going to happen.

Yes, the "I can't be alone tonight" line was a Texas-sized red flag, but I have a sickening feeling this may turn out to be more about the justice system destroying Naz' life than his guilt or innocence.

I'm not ready to jump on the step-father just yet. I don't like the guy one bit, but these BBC-based procedurals often throw bunches of possible perps into the story. I bet we see better candidates later. The hearse driver was suspicious, but he may have just been pissed that she threw out a lit cigarette near a gas pump. I think it was more about showing her to be so distracted about someone stalking her that she wasn't thinking. I thought it was weird she didn't get out to choose her own drink, but thought maybe Naz thought it would look odd to go into a store with a fare.

Regarding Naz, as the Irish character told William Wallace in Braveheart: "God told me I'd be alright, but He tells me you're fooked."

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
Stone saying to Naz that he doesn't need or want to know the truth, but that he needs to be able to be flexible rang VERY true to me. In fact, I often said that nearly verbatim to clients many times when I was in private practice.

The more I think about it, the cat is going to be a huge key. Naz see the cat and freaks out a bit about him (meaning it made an impression on him). She puts it outside, and door clearly does not latch afterward. In episode 2, the CSI team notes that "there is a cat around here somewhere" Not, "either she has a cat or she had one up until recently". There is no sign of the cat. He is a big clue.

The more I think about it, the cat is going to be a huge key. Naz see the cat and freaks out a bit about him (meaning it made an impression on him). She puts it outside, and door clearly does not latch afterward. In episode 2, the CSI team notes that "there is a cat around here somewhere" Not, "either she has a cat or she had one up until recently". There is no sign of the cat. He is a big clue.
I agree, and I think the cat actually did it.

There almost had to have been cat prints in blood for CSU to say that. I don't remember any, but I wasn't looking for them. Hard to see on the sheets and I don't remember there being any views of the floor around the bed.

(Sigh) I guess I'll force myself to rewatch.

Cat would have re-entered with perp, IF it knew the perp (so who among the suspects did the cat know?). Did the perp put the cat out and close the patio door behind him? Is it possible the cat is carrying dna evidence?

Perp cut himself in attack and carried cat back outside (why?) and bled on the cat? How long before cat licks off the evidence?

I think you're onto something with the cat angle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT