ADVERTISEMENT

Suicide Squad

Everyone I know that has seen it said it was a good time. I guess everyone I know has different tast than the rotten tomatoes group

70 % of the general public liked it. So, everyone that you know falls into that 70%. Only 27% of critics liked the movie. That is where the discussion of it being a bad movie comes from.

Personally, I didn't regret seeing it. It was a fun ride. Just didn't think it was anything special.

70 % of the general public liked it. So, everyone that you know falls into that 70%. Only 27% of critics liked the movie. That is where the discussion of it being a bad movie comes from.

Personally, I didn't regret seeing it. It was a fun ride. Just didn't think it was anything special.
Definitely could've been better!!! I would've removed Captain Boomerang, Killer Croc, and Katana. They are forgettable and brought nothing.

Viola Davis was tremendous as was Smith and Robbie.

Villain could've been better, too.

Definitely could've been better!!! I would've removed Captain Boomerang, Killer Croc, and Katana. They are forgettable and brought nothing.

This was my one main complaint with the film.

It was pretty glaring the second time I saw the film last weekend.
I want to see the unedited or original cut of this film. I don't know if you've seen the unedited version of BvS (3 hours) but it's a lot cleaner and the story flows a lot better. I enjoyed Suicide Squad a lot but people's complaints about it being choppy were valid. The editing for this and BvS could have been a LOT better. Probably has to do with the time constraints put on them by Warner Brothers. They rush too much.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
I want to see the unedited or original cut of this film. I don't know if you've seen the unedited version of BvS (3 hours) but it's a lot cleaner and the story flows a lot better. I enjoyed Suicide Squad a lot but people's complaints about it being choppy were valid. The editing for this and BvS could have been a LOT better. Probably has to do with the time constraints put on them by Warner Brothers. They rush too much.
I watched the extended BvS cut last weekend; loved it.

David Ayer said Suicide Squad dvd cut would include 10+ minutes of deleted scenes.

Reactions: ThorOdinson13

So, basically, you really liked half the characters and did not like half the characters and didn't like the villain. That is not a ringing endorsement.

Here are my complaints.

1). Katana. She just appears as they are getting on the plane. She is not a villain, so she does not get an explosive implanted in her neck. We get some kind of a flimsy explanation as to why she is there, but it isn't real clear. We hear 3 times about how her sword captures the souls of those she kills, but the whole concept is left completely ambiguous. Why even bring it up? I think the writer should have told us that she was there for one reason. Rick Flag's personal bodyguard. Here he is running around with a bunch of killers. He is a valuable asset and needs protections so the bad guys don't all turn against him at once.

2). Captain Boomerang. No significant back story on him. No reason to care about him. His boomerangs were basically nothing but daggers. He used them to stab creatures that attacked him or threw them at said creatures. Not once did they show that he could throw one and have it "return" to him or go around a corner and hit a hidden target. How about giving him some gadget boomerangs like one that explodes or emits light and blinds the bad guy. If you are going to name a guy Boomerang, there should be a reason he is called that. He was more like Captain Dagger.

3). K Croc. Boring. How about you tell us why he looks like that or how he got his strength/ability to stay underwater so long. Didn't it feel like the flooded the basement, where the final battle went down, just so he would have a purpose in the movie?

4, ) Waller. I thought she was great. Until she gunned down a handful of government employees who were just doing their job. that was really not needed to establish that she was a cold hearted badass. They could have done that in other ways that didn't make her deserving of her own prison sentence.

5). Why did the Enchantress have to build a machine to destroy the world? Why not use her magic to destroy the world? Machines and magic are kind of opposites, right? How about having her casting a spell that will destroy the world and they defeat her right before she completes the spell? I would expect Lex Luthor to build a machine that would destroy the world, not Enchantress.

6). Bad CGI on the machine and on Enchantress' husband.

7). Who shot down the first helicopter when they were on their way to the battle zone? The faceless monsters? Were they monsters who wanted to physically overwhelm the "heroes" or were they soldiers without faces? Because it seemed like after they were transformed, they became brutish monsters as opposed to soldiers who fought with firearms.

8). What was the point of showing us the scene where Harley jumped into the tank full of milk (or whatever it was) and the Joker went in and saved her? It was a touching scene, but what did it contribute to the story?

9). Did you really care about Rick's relationship with the chick possessed by the Enchantress? It was a huge part of the story, but it was not all that captivating. Were you guys rooting for things to work out for them? I didn't feel like they did a good job of developing either character enough that I cared if they lived or died.

So, basically, you really liked half the characters and did not like half the characters and didn't like the villain. That is not a ringing endorsement.

Here are my complaints.

1). Katana. She just appears as they are getting on the plane. She is not a villain, so she does not get an explosive implanted in her neck. We get some kind of a flimsy explanation as to why she is there, but it isn't real clear. We hear 3 times about how her sword captures the souls of those she kills, but the whole concept is left completely ambiguous. Why even bring it up? I think the writer should have told us that she was there for one reason. Rick Flag's personal bodyguard. Here he is running around with a bunch of killers. He is a valuable asset and needs protections so the bad guys don't all turn against him at once.

2). Captain Boomerang. No significant back story on him. No reason to care about him. His boomerangs were basically nothing but daggers. He used them to stab creatures that attacked him or threw them at said creatures. Not once did they show that he could throw one and have it "return" to him or go around a corner and hit a hidden target. How about giving him some gadget boomerangs like one that explodes or emits light and blinds the bad guy. If you are going to name a guy Boomerang, there should be a reason he is called that. He was more like Captain Dagger.

3). K Croc. Boring. How about you tell us why he looks like that or how he got his strength/ability to stay underwater so long. Didn't it feel like the flooded the basement, where the final battle went down, just so he would have a purpose in the movie?

4, ) Waller. I thought she was great. Until she gunned down a handful of government employees who were just doing their job. that was really not needed to establish that she was a cold hearted badass. They could have done that in other ways that didn't make her deserving of her own prison sentence.

5). Why did the Enchantress have to build a machine to destroy the world? Why not use her magic to destroy the world? Machines and magic are kind of opposites, right? How about having her casting a spell that will destroy the world and they defeat her right before she completes the spell? I would expect Lex Luthor to build a machine that would destroy the world, not Enchantress.

7). Who shot down the first helicopter when they were on their way to the battle zone? The faceless monsters? Were they monsters who wanted to physically overwhelm the "heroes" or were they soldiers without faces? Because it seemed like after they were transformed, they became brutish monsters as opposed to soldiers who fought with firearms.

8). What was the point of showing us the scene where Harley jumped into the tank full of milk (or whatever it was) and the Joker went in and saved her? It was a touching scene, but what did it contribute to the story?

9). Did you really care about Rick's relationship with the chick possessed by the Enchantress? It was a huge part of the story, but it was not all that captivating. Were you guys rooting for things to work out for them? I didn't feel like they did a good job of developing either character enough that I cared if they lived or died.
I'm like most everyone else. It was a good time... I enjoyed. But, being the fan I am, I had to be realistic. It looked choppy in parts like BvS and certainly could've been better.

But, with the box office success what do they do first? Suicide Squad 2 or Harley solo? I believe, based on their last release, they have an open 'untitled' slot in 2018 and in 2019. You have to think one of those will go to the Batfleck film.

Here are my complaints.

I can admit that this movie has a lot of flaws but CGI is definitely not one of them. The movie looked great. It's essentially been the only positive that critics have consistently said in their reviews.

Harley jumping into the chemical vat showed how committed she was to the Joker. The chemical vat is what caused the Joker to have his bleached skin. This wasn't explained in the movie but even people that rarely follow comics kinda know the origin story of the Joker.

Reactions: Been Jammin

I agree with you on this. Killer Croc supposedly had a bunch of deleted scenes that gave him a bigger role in the film. I understand that you have to cut some things out to make it shorter but they did a terrible job with using him in this film. I was very disappointed with that. Can't wait to see the unedited version. Bet it's 100X better and I bet Croc would have been a fan favorite.

Reactions: tlwwake
I

Harley jumping into the chemical vat showed how committed she was to the Joker. The chemical vat is what caused the Joker to have his bleached skin. This wasn't explained in the movie but even people that rarely follow comics kinda know the origin story of the Joker.

OK, I kind of thought that was what the vat was, but why not find a way to explain it to the viewer? And, I got that she was showing that she was willing to die for him and he decided that he cared too much about her to let her die. But, what did that add to the movie? It was already very clear that the two of them were very committed to each other. It was a cool scene, but an unnecessary one. I would have been fine with it if they had explained what the vat was and why it was significant. As it is, it is just a confusing scene that seems out of place.

Forgot one other big issue....

Let's have Slipknot show up randomly, when we have not even mentioned him before, just so we can blow his head off. I understand his purpose in the film, but I would have like for them to include his background when talking about the other members of the team. They also should have shown us a scene or two with him in custody so that he seemed to be an actual part of the team. Then, when he gets his head blown off, the viewer is like, "oh crap...this shit just got serious". As it is, you are still wondering why you are just seeing him for the first time when the bomb goes boom.

Saw it yesterday.

I agree with some of the complaints here. It felt like less of a clip show than BvS, but still pretty overloaded. I think the reason Avengers worked so well is that they used entire movies to build up the characters. The Harley vat scene would have worked better in a stand alone movie about her, it was really shoe horned in to this one.

The villain thing is something almost all of the Marvel movies have had to deal with. "Here is a random bad buy who wants to destroy the world." It is kind of boring, and I'm more than a little wore out by it. Civil War works well because the villain's goal is a little more modest.

Here are my complaints.

I don't follow these types of movies at all but went to see it this afternoon. I thought it was pretty clear that her only purpose was to protect him.

I don't follow these types of movies at all but went to see it this afternoon. I thought it was pretty clear that her only purpose was to protect him.

Maybe I missed a line. I just felt her character was very confusing. To me, it felt like she was only there so that someone would have access to a sword for the final scene where
they cut Enchantress' heart out of her chest.

Ok, saw it. I know all the backstories and whatnot, but agree with most of the criticisms here. That Haley into the vat scene could have been SOOOO much more meaningful in a larger context.

I mean, it had some really good redeeming moments but, damm, the thing was busier than the 40/44 interchange at 515 on Friday afternoon.

I liked it, but feel it could have been so much more.

I was surprised Joker was in it so much after all the complaints.

The interpretation of Harley is most likely the best comic to screen realization of any toon I have ever seen; ever.

Will Smith was good, too. Jury out on Leto and the Joker, but liked what I saw so far.

Everyone else could have been... and was... a nobody in a nobody roll.

SS sequel likely comes down to whether or not Will Smith is on board. They have already hinted that Harley will be back in some capacity. Since the movie ended with Joker breaking her out, she would have to be back in prison to be part of the squad, but I guess that would be fairly easy to do.

If Smith isn't on board, they would likely have to scrap the project in favor of a Harley-centric movie. It just makes no sense to bring back SS without Deadshot, since the rest of the characters were boring (except for Harley). Of course, the movie has made so much money that they should be able to pay WS whatever he wants to reprise his role.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT