ADVERTISEMENT

Suicide Squad

Huh? The first Captain America was about World War II. The first Avengers was about an alien invasion where many obviously died. Ultron was trying to destroy all life on Earth in the next movie. Again, there were a lot of casualties. I think the villain and name in the latest X-Men movie contradicts what you just wrote. Did you watch Days of Future Past? Heck, a rogue Kree wanted to annihilate an entire world in GOTG. Just because there are more jokes doesn't mean it's still not a crappy world due to super powered beings.

1.) World War 2 really happened. A lot of people died. In CA 2, Cap was not the cause of exponentially more innocent deaths than actually occurred in WW 2 (like we saw with multiple sky scrapers being demolished in MOS).

2). You might be right about a lot of innocent deaths in Avengers. They made it clear that a lot of innocents died in Avengers 2. But, it was very clear that protecting innocent people was the most important thing to the heroes. They were going out of their way to find a way to save as many of them as possible. Superman didn't care. Not only did he not go out of his way to save innocent victims, he didn't even show any evidence that they crossed his mind. The innocent deaths in Avengers and Avengers 2 was a big part of the story line in Civil War, and a big part of the reason the government wanted all super powered beings to be registered, monitored and controlled.

3). Days OFP showed us glimpses of a post-apocaleptic world, but the innocent deaths involved mutants, not normal humans. The world was dark and dreary, and the heroes found a way to prevent that world from becoming reality.

4). GOTG didn't take place on earth and had only 1 character who came from the planet earth.

Almost all of the super hero movies depict situations where innocents are endangered in large numbers. Super powered beings are the ones endangering them. Other super powered beings step in to protect the victims and defeat the evil beings. They make sacrifices to protect the innocent victims and clearly save as many of them as they possibly can. That was not the case in MOS. Superman showed no concern about innocent residents of the city and was directly responsible for annihilation of multiple structures that seemed likely to be full of people. It ruined the movie for me, as it just didn't fit with my impression of what Superman is (and should be) all about.

Been, all of those Marvel movies show a much worse world due to people with super powers. All of those movies show a dark place, but you don't notice it as much since the costumes are bright and there are more jokes.

Superman obviously cares about innocent lives in MOS or he would have let Zod do whatever he wanted. He saved the Earth and billions of lives from Zod. He wasn't just fighting to show who is stronger. If you look at the bigger picture in that movie he does care about innocent humans. I'd also argue that since the World Engine had been destroying the city for a good half hour, a lot of those buildings were evacuated, or the many people you say were killed by Superman were most likely already dead.

I didn't hate Man of Steel but you might be the only human in the world who thinks its the best super hero movie ever (and there is nothing wrong with that). I didn't think it was awful and there have been worse. I just thought it was pretty forgettable overall.

I didn't hate Man of Steel but you might be the only human in the world who thinks its the best super hero movie ever. I didn't think it was awful and there have been worse. I just thought it was pretty forgettable overall.

I thought it was okay and enjoyed watching it, but in the end thought it was another in a long line of fairly average Marvel and DC movies. There are only a couple of really great ones ... Winter Soldier, Batman Begins, TDK, Avengers, Guardians ... the rest just are what they are ... popcorn movies that don't really stand out.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I thought it was okay and enjoyed watching it, but in the end thought it was another in a long line of fairly average Marvel and DC movies. There are only a couple of really great ones ... Winter Soldier, Batman Begins, TDK, Avengers, Guardians ... the rest just are what they are ... popcorn movies that don't really stand out.
Thoughts on Ant-Man?

I didn't hate Man of Steel but you might be the only human in the world who thinks its the best super hero movie ever (and there is nothing wrong with that). I didn't think it was awful and there have been worse. I just thought it was pretty forgettable overall.
Superman has always been my favorite, and that's how I've always wanted to see a live action Superman fight.

Just watch. This will be the same as BvS. An uncut rated R version will be released and be bad ass.

I've read the story on Wikipedia and it sounds awesome. I think this movie is going to be great.

IMHO, critics are idiots. MOS was awesome, while Civil War was a dud. Batman v Superman is an infinitely better movie than X-Men Apocalypse, but if you look at Rotten Tomatoes you certainly wouldn't see that. Ultron is good but not great. The Winter Soldier is clearly the best Marvel movie so far. Most of these critics have romanticized the old Christopher Reeve movies and Nolan Batman movies and are letting these movies cloud their judgement on the current DC movies.

If I had to rank super hero movies, my top 10 would go like this. I think it's a good mix of good movies, but Rotten Tomatoes wouldn't agree.

1. Man of Steel
2. The Dark Knight
3. Winter Soldier
4. X2
5. 1st Avengers movie
6. 89 Batman
7. X-Men DOFP
8. X-Men First Class
9. Guardians of the Galaxy
T10. Age of Ultron
T10. Batman v Superman

NO DEADPOOL?!?!?!

Reactions: Been Jammin
Civil war was probably the best Avengers movie yet. It's also a billion times better than the source material which is not usually the case. The Civil War comic kind of sucks, IMHO.

MOS had the BEST teaser I had ever seen shot. If it was half as good as the teaser, I would have came all over myself. But, it ended up feeling more like that second time you beat off just because you're bored.

Side note: am I the only one that liked Year One over DKR?

Side side note: Frank Miller couldn't sniff Alan Moore's jock. I said it.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
I'm in tonight with an open mind. There are several movies with terrible reviews that I absolutely love. As far as the DCEU, I enjoyed Man of Steel. It was better than I expected based on reviews. I thought BvS was overhated. Another enjoyable entry, but no great film yet. DC needs a great one. If it's not this, we will be waiting until next summer with Wonder Woman.

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
Side note: am I the only one that liked Year One over DKR?

Side side note: Frank Miller couldn't sniff Alan Moore's jock. I said it.

No, DKR doesn't hold up well IMO and Year One does. In general, I don't think Miller holds up as well. I doubt you would get much argument on Miller vs. Moore.

Can't watch now. What is the overall consensus? Cliff notes style
From what I've read from many fans and YouTubers that I listen to:

One of the best DC movies; much better than BvS (even from people that liked it)

Critics are dead wrong. Most say team chemistry is fun and enjoyable.

Soundtrack is awesome.

Only major complaint among most is lack of Joker.

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
Wife and I just saw it. Pretty entertaining movie. There were some flaws but nothing to go ape over. Margo does steal the show. And I thought there was quite a bit of the joker.

There is an post credit scene. Nothing great but you'd probably want to wait for it.

Solid action flick. Makes me want to get a Margo Robbie poster on my bedroom wall.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
Just got home... My thoughts..

Movie was amazing. Perfect amount joker and batman. Flowed nicely. It escalated quickly in parts but that didn't bother me. Amazing soundtrack. Humor was just right.. Didn't feel forced. Margot (as Harley) stole the show, but Will Smith (as Deadshot) was unbelievable. Really surprised me. I liked BvS and this blew it out of the water. What comes first: Harley Solo film or Suicide Squad sequel?

Bottom line: Don't let critics scare you; go watch it.

I am SO roflcopter at the gnerd rage in this thread over comic movies. HOF worthy, if just for those tantrums in there about super heros.

Reactions: OSUIvan
i'm not into the comic book genre, but if anybody wants a head start on an incredible movie she's producing and starring it, there's a book called Bad Monkeys by one of my favorite writers, Matt Ruff. He's a wildly creative writer and she's making that crazy book into a movie.... it's gonna be awesome. http://www.bymattruff.com/2016/07/21/margot-robbie-to-star-in-adaptation-of-bad-monkeys/ The book is one of my favorites.

Sounds like a pretty fun/interesting book (I read the synopsis on Amazon). I may have to read it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: anon_xl72qcu5isp39
I thoroughly enjoyed it, screw all the haters. I'm not a huge fan of Leto's Joker but I still think it's the Tim Drake Joker and therefore not the original.

Reactions: tlwwake
I thoroughly enjoyed it, screw all the haters. I'm not a huge fan of Leto's Joker but I still think it's the Tim Drake Joker and therefore not the original.
What do you think we get first? Harley solo or Suicide 2?

Might get both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT