ADVERTISEMENT

So is anybody hearing anything on changes

Lol, I'm only guessing. I'm sure every coach in the country has a much better sense of what they are actually doing. Some things can't be replicated though, like the $ and the recruiting. But it does seem like training methodology & culture could be.

This doesn't give PSU enough credit. At least that's the way it reads to me. Their success didn't come from the stars aligning.

I've read multiple x that their staff is the hardest working in wrestling. Kyle Snyder said it and that was after leaving a pretty good staff at OhioSt. They carefully plan everything.
I didn't mean it as stars aligning. I don't know how they do it so I didn't comment on the means and methods. They seem to be good at every aspect of running a collegiate wrestling program.

Good for Adam.Glad he has the guts to reach out for an update.He seems to be the only reporter with the nerve and not worried about being a John Smith homer.Nothing much from John to get us fired up but I guess we know he is being retained.

Good for Adam.Glad he has the guts to reach out for an update.He seems to be the only reporter with the nerve and not worried about being a John Smith homer.Nothing much from John to get us fired up but I guess we know he is being retained.
The worst situation possible. No press conference to field the tough questions and outline some optimism? He had to be sought out to answer any questions? As fans and alumni, who either have the ability or can have the ability to help fund things...this is what we get?

Who do I send my invoices to get a refund for a broken product? If John Smith were a retail store, he’d be broke!

So John aside, seems like NIL will make it very difficult for us to ever win #35.

Suriano set the precedent. Then you had Woods. Now Davison, Truax & Nagao -- AAs are looking to get paid.

Hypothetically, let's say Carroll & Thompson AA as true freshmen -- would anyone be surprised if they hit the portal a week after Nationals?

So John aside, seems like NIL will make it very difficult for us to ever win #35.

Suriano set the precedent. Then you had Woods. Now Davison, Truax & Nagao -- AAs are looking to get paid.

Hypothetically, let's say Carroll & Thompson AA as true freshmen -- would anyone be surprised if they hit the portal a week after Nationals?
I wouldn’t. Maybe someone has the information as to what our top couple of guys are making.

The portal has basically become Free Agency. Its probably going to start working like it does in pro sports where the big market, high revenue teams have the money to spend on superstars and going over the salary cap doesn't seem to be a problem. In terms of college that translates to the big universities with deep pockets and lots of rich alum support (B1G) who can afford to pay these guys whatever. If OSU wrestling operates anything like OSU football in terms of spending money on recruiting then we are in a uphill battle to keep up.

Reactions: bwel9339
The portal has basically become Free Agency. Its probably going to start working like it does in pro sports where the big market, high revenue teams have the money to spend on superstars and going over the salary cap doesn't seem to be a problem. In terms of college that translates to the big universities with deep pockets and lots of rich alum support (B1G) who can afford to pay these guys whatever. If OSU wrestling operates anything like OSU football in terms of spending money on recruiting then we are in an uphill battle to keep up.
I agree I compare it to the Oklahoma City thunder. They will be good every once in a while but consistently they are a small market franchise, and will have a difficult time keeping up with the big market franchises.

I agree I compare it to the Oklahoma City thunder. They will be good every once in a while but consistently they are a small market franchise, and will have a difficult time keeping up with the big market franchises.
It's actually worse than the NBA model. The NBA has the draft, your picks are locked up for 3 or 4 years, plus you have the Bird exception. This is unrestricted free agency with no salary cap.

We are already paying big dollars on a few guys. Thankfully driving to Stillwater HS to recruit is cheap.
To have them for one/two years in the scenario presented.

Can we compete in the money arena? Probably not.

We sure can’t with the morale of our fan base at this time.

Reactions: bwel9339
We can compete with $'s in wrestling. Not conviced if the money is spent we would get the right product.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT