ADVERTISEMENT

So is anybody hearing anything on changes

John said he will be back in the interview from Tulsa and I don’t see our AD forcing him to leave.

Looks like he makes around 500k per year.How does that compare with other top wrestling schools?
His quote included, "unless they can my ass."

Which, if he resists taking a wholesale look with active approach, we should.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
John said he will be back in the interview from Tulsa and I don’t see our AD forcing him to leave.

Looks like he makes around 500k per year.How does that compare with other top wrestling schools?
Tom Brands made $550,000 last year, don't know what Cael makes

This board is so full of dumbasses that Red Foreman won't even say anything. Fix for phucks sake sure isn't going to PSU. What a nice thread to read while taking a shit because that's literally all this board is now.
Some of us have been going to OSU wrestling matches since the mid 60's. What is happening now and has been happening for quite some time, is or should be unacceptable. If that makes me a dumbass, so be it.

This board is so full of dumbasses that Red Foreman won't even say anything. Fix for phucks sake sure isn't going to PSU. What a nice thread to read while taking a shit because that's literally all this board is now.
and if things continue without change, Fix would be smart to go elsewhere.

Reactions: bwel9339
Some of us have been going to OSU wrestling matches since the mid 60's. What is happening now and has been happening for quite some time, is or should be unacceptable. If that makes me a dumbass, so be it.
If you think that was directed at you for not wanting better then you read a different thread than I did. People spout shit off like "oh hearing so and so is transferring and our best wrestler is going to go to PSU for his last year...but this is all second hand what have y'all heard?" That's the type of dumb shit that makes boards like this. Every OSU wrestling fan is disappointed, but that doesn't mean some get a license to spew flaming sacks of dogshit at doors to see what sticks.

Reactions: gyppoke and DPJ
Tom Brands made $550,000 last year, don't know what Cael makes
I read somewhere that PA law exempts certain public info from being made available, including some state salaries. Don't know if that's true or not. Cael probably makes the most and he should. Ryan is a little over $400K. Dresser is a little over $300K and Rosselli is under $250K. Mineo said Koll got $400K at Stanford, but he's usually wrong. None of these include summer camp $.

What happens is we offer David Taylor $2.5M over 5 years? Plus incentives. At least make him say no. I know people like Cunningham (me too), but Taylor knows just as much about technique & training, plus he would be a magnet for recruiting.

I read somewhere that PA law exempts certain public info from being made available, including some state salaries. Don't know if that's true or not. Cael probably makes the most and he should. Ryan is a little over $400K. Dresser is a little over $300K and Rosselli is under $250K. Mineo said Koll got $400K at Stanford, but he's usually wrong. None of these include summer camp $.

What happens is we offer David Taylor $2.5M over 5 years? Plus incentives. At least make him say no. I know people like Cunningham (me too), but Taylor knows just as much about technique & training, plus he would be a magnet for recruiting.
I agree both Taylor and Cunningham are on the top of my list. If they think one of the former cowboys is the best man for the job then so be it, but I hope they're considering all options if they're making a change.

The one problem with Taylor is he's in the middle of his Olympic cycle and I doubt he wants to take on a head coaching job. Money talks though.

Rosselli should be making $0.

Lipton_Kermit-630x422.png

The one problem with Taylor is he's in the middle of his Olympic cycle and I doubt he wants to take on a head coaching job. Money talks though.
Yep, thought about that as well, but it can be worked out. Flexibility. Remember, Cael made the 2011 World Team and almost tried for the 2012 Olympics.

How about this...tell him the first year he only has to handle hiring (assistants), recruiting, fundraising, cornering, and run the occasional practice. Everything else is training for the Olympics, including competing at qualifying events.

Get good assistants (team & RTC) and let them handle most practices following the training schedule Taylor sets up.

Reactions: DPJ
Yep, thought about that as well, but it can be worked out. Flexibility. Remember, Cael made the 2011 World Team and almost tried for the 2012 Olympics.

How about this...tell him the first year he only has to handle hiring (assistants), recruiting, fundraising, cornering, and run the occasional practice. Everything else is training for the Olympics, including competing at qualifying events.

Get good assistants (team & RTC) and let them handle most practices following the training schedule Taylor sets up.
I like the idea, especially if John would stay on and help ease him in on the admin side of the job.

It could definitely be worked out and the program would be set up well for the future, just need some outside the box thinking.

Reactions: Wrassler17
As of 2017, which was the end of his 5 year extension Cael was making $175,000 a year. He is currently on a new contract and was not listed on Penn St. 2020-21 "Right-to-know Report" which lists the schools top 25 paid employees who are not officers or directors. The cut off for that list is $662,311. Looking at Brands contract with Iowa, which is ridiculous I would say it is probably likely Cael is making somewhere in the $500,000 year range. Coach Smith salary is said to be just under $500,000 per year.

As of 2017, which was the end of his 5 year extension Cael was making $175,000 a year. He is currently on a new contract and was not listed on Penn St. 2020-21 "Right-to-know Report" which lists the schools top 25 paid employees who are not officers or directors. The cut off for that list is $662,311. Looking at Brands contract with Iowa, which is ridiculous I would say it is probably likely Cael is making somewhere in the $500,000 year range. Coach Smith salary is said to be just under $500,000 per year.

John made north of $550k in 2022.

Reactions: Mrgrapple
I would be absolutely shocked if Cael isn't the highest paid coach in the business.
Brands signed a new contract in 2021 and Iowa released the terms. He made $550K this past season and will make $625K this coming season.

Cael signed his contract a year later in the summer of 2022. So the market had already been set. PSU didn't release the terms, but it's probably unlikely that he signed for less than Brands. At least he shouldn't have.

Last edited:
I’ll say this, I think none of anything said in this thread is true however sign me up for Dake as our new HC of we are just randomly picking guys we’d like to coach us next.

I’ll say this, I think none of anything said in this thread is true however sign me up for Dake as our new HC of we are just randomly picking guys we’d like to coach us next.
Dake is a little bit of an oddball. Great training partner and guy to have in the RTC, but not sure how he would do as a head coach.

I think Dake can and will be a very good coach someday if that’s a road he goes down. The way he talks about wrestling positions and preparation physically/mentally is convincing enough for me.

A 165 transfer and another stud transfer and some development of the current roster and there is no reason osu can not win a team trophy next year which would be a huge steep in the right direction. Sometimes we think the grass will be greener with new direction but from a brooder stroke we placed 3rd two years ago and we were starting 5 underclassmen this past year.

A 165 transfer and another stud transfer and some development of the current roster and there is no reason osu can not win a team trophy next year which would be a huge steep in the right direction. Sometimes we think the grass will be greener with new direction but from a brooder stroke we placed 3rd two years ago and we were starting 5 underclassmen this past year.

I think a deeper dive would show some problems with our evaluations and development which is still problematic with a young roster and high level talent coming in either via HS ranks or the portal.

Something isn’t working in our room right now. Guys aren’t improving and making jumps whether that’s the blue chip recruits or the diamond in the rough hard working types.

You know I guess you are right, maybe if Fix goes to 125 that could be a NC. Then if we get a stud transfer at 133 that could be another NC. Then maybe Alverez at 141 could win a NC as well. Then maybe VV makes about two level jumps and can get on the podium at 149.

Then maybe Jordan Williams adds a little weight and kills it at 157 and gets on the podium, then maybe we get another 165 stud transfer and they AA.

Yeah so maybe we really arent' that far away. We should just keep things nice and steady, we are going in the right direction for sure.

125- Fix
133- Carter
141- Alvarez
149- VV
157- Williams
165- Portal
174- Plott
184- Wittlake
197- Surber
HWT- Carroll/Conor

Would like to see Thompson but sounds like that ship might have sailed. Perry was sharing a bunch of his posts on instagram on Sunday though.

I heard that Smith was fired, Cael was hired, Perry is starting a sparkling water business called “Perryair”, all of the 2023 NCs are transferring in, and every HS senior in the country has committed to OKState without NIL or scholarships. Rumor has it that other D1 schools want to contribute their tourney points to us, too. It’s gonna be a wild season!

I have a very high level of admiration for the great John Smith, but it has grown stale for him lately. OSU isn't just a blue blood program in college wrestling, but THE blue blood program. New coaching and a fresh start will not cripple this program imo. Too much tradition and too many resources to stay down. I think I will live to see 35 and I'm pretty old.

I thought medical weed just got voted down in OK? You still hitting it?

Cael (and other coaches at state schools) often have a salary limit based on salary grades, but can be paid more from fund raised $.

If Coleman is the new coach - I sure hope it's because Pop said no. Not sure how you could pass over the guy in the same conference who's done better.

And culture? Pat Pop has the best/highest standards in NCAA athletics.

Reactions: bwel9339
Brands signed a new contract in 2021 and Iowa released the terms. He made $550K this past season and will make $625K this coming season.

Cael signed his contract a year later in the summer of 2022. So the market had already been set. PSU didn't release the terms, but it's probably unlikely that he signed for less than Brands. At least he shouldn't have.
It is out there if you look. 700k last I saw.

Good question for thought. How long do we expect to see Cael coach for? He started at Iowa St. in 2004 and so that’s almost 20 years that’s seems to have flown by.

Cael is only 43, so prob has another 20+ years in him. John is 57 and has been our coach for 32 years now.

It is out there if you look. 700k last I saw.
If Brands is making north of $600k and John is pulling in over $500k then $700k for Cael might be the biggest bargain in college coaching

Last edited:
Think this is right...

Since Cael became a head coach in 2007, John has only finished ahead of him once at Nationals. It was in 2010 during Cael's first season at PSU - the year they redshirted returning AA Wright and true freshmen Taylor & Ruth.

At ISU, Cael finished in front twice with one tie. And he even finished ahead in 2015 when PSU redshirted returning AAs Megaludis & Retherford and true freshmen Nolf, Nickals & Nevills.

Think this is right...

Since Cael became a head coach in 2007, John has only finished ahead of him once at Nationals. It was in 2010 during Cael's first season at PSU - the year they redshirted returning AA Wright and true freshmen Taylor & Ruth.

At ISU, Cael finished in front twice with one tie. And he even finished ahead in 2015 when PSU redshirted returning AAs Megaludis & Retherford and true freshmen Nolf, Nickals & Nevills.
Cael is going to be the 🐐 of coaching

Reactions: bwel9339 and 1AA
Cael is already the goat. Most of you crying about John when only two other coaches have won National titles in the last 10 of what 13 years, and before he got to PSU he finished 2nd, 3rd, and 5th in the three years there? Every team is feeling the same. Can John do a better job, yes, but so can all of the other coaches in D1. We have had some monster recruiting classes and so have other schools, but Cael is a beast. I do not see much changing.

Reactions: 1AA
If Coleman is the new coach - I sure hope it's because Pop said no. Not sure how you could pass over the guy in the same conference who's done better.

And culture? Pat Pop has the best/highest standards in NCAA athletics.
Neither has EVER Won an NCAA TEAMChampionship, but People are saying John Smith should ne fired, How Many ACTIVE NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Coaches have won More than John Smith?
The List
1. Sanderson 10
2. J. Smith 5
3. Brands 4 (His first 3 were Gable Recruits AND all his recruits at Virginia Tech who followed him after he Redshirted the Entire Team, so basically he had 2 Teams)
4. T. Ryan 1
Am I missing Any? If Not J. Smith has as many as every other Coached combined if Not counting Sanderson, Meaning Any one who replace J. Smith is a Downgrade as far as winning NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Championships.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT