ADVERTISEMENT

Session VI Results

He made one shot, at the beginning of the third period. I stand corrected.

If you think that means Daton was aggressive enough to be the winner, we disagree.

I’ll bet if we ask Daton, he’ll say he didn’t do enough. One double leg attemp, and one head steal in the 2nd OT won’t get it done. Yes, Suriano didn’t do much more than push. Yes, the refs made several horrible calls. But Daton backed up and wrestled on the edge of the mat the entire time.

Regardless of any of that. He did enough to win. Why are you dying on this hill?

No we are refuting what you are saying. You said Daton didn’t take a shot until the second OT. Flat out wrong and not true.
He made one shot, at the beginning of the third period. I stand corrected.

If you think that means Daton was aggressive enough to be the winner, we disagree.

I’ll bet if we ask Daton, he’ll say he didn’t do enough. One double leg attemp, and one head steal in the 2nd OT won’t get it done. Yes, Suriano didn’t do much more than push. Yes, the refs made several horrible calls. But Daton backed up and wrestled on the edge of the mat the entire time.
And if the refs made the correct calls at the end of the match, then his lack of offense is irrelevant. Suriano sure AF didn’t deserve to win based on how he wrestled.

Daton absolutely should have done more. I just think it’s a dumb argument because Suariano didn’t do anymore. He took one shot in the first period. Stall rode for 15 seconds in the sudden victory and scored off a Daton shot where he pulled his head gear.
I don’t disagree with you at all. That’s not my point, that Suriano “earned” it any more than Daton. Just that Daton wasn’t nearly aggressive enough on his feet.

Completely agree with you. Fix could have been more aggressive but he did take a couple of shots. I can’t remember suriano really doing anything but push. The stalemate call was premature and pisses me off a hell of a lot more than the headgear decision.

The headgear hold can at least be understood somewhat because it was mostly obscured by the long hair. But the stalemate really made no sense.

Seemed like the refs wanted the match to be decided by a takedown and not rideouts or penalty points.

Regardless of any of that. He did enough to win. Why are you dying on this hill?
Because we disagree. And it’s an internet board, where people discuss things.

I posted my belief of what happened during the match. People have both agreed and disagreed with me.

What’s funny is I’ve agreed with most on here way more than I’ve disagreed. The only place anyone has disagreed with me is whether or not Daton was aggressive.

The headgear hold can at least be understood somewhat because it was mostly obscured by the long hair. But the stalemate really made no sense.

Seemed like the refs wanted the match to be decided by a takedown and not rideouts or penalty points.
I believe Fix got robbed with the stalemate call and not getting the headgear call. It looks like fix could get in back of Suriano but Suriano stiff armed him by grabbing head gear and then when Fix was stopped by the headgear shot for the takedown. Robbery which is a way of life for us now. However I do not like our coaching and how we didn't really wrestle in the finals and many other matches. Our goal appeared to have the score be 0 to 0 after the first. That did not turn out so well for us.

Seems like Pokes satisfied to finish in the top 5 for the last several years.
Sad to watch this once proud program level out...

However I do not like our coaching and how we didn't really wrestle in the finals and many other matches. Our goal appeared to have the score be 0 to 0 after the first. That did not turn out so well for us.
Watch yourself Harley. Not allowed to post like this. You’ll be called names.

Oh get off your cross. You came here with a factual incorrect statement about Fix not shooting until overtime and then said it was way more on Fix than the refs.

If you would have just posted Fix should have been more aggressive no one would have said a thing.

We’re just going to disagree. The entire match I’m screaming for Fix to be more aggressive. To me, that’s what cost him the match.

Either or, he’s a freshman who just took second at the NCAAs. He’s a great kid with a great future.

Oh get off your cross. You came here with a factual incorrect statement about Fix not shooting until overtime and then said it was way more on Fix than the refs.

If you would have just posted Fix should have been more aggressive no one would have said a thing.

Its the sooner in him...couldnt help himself!!

We’re just going to disagree. The entire match I’m screaming for Fix to be more aggressive. To me, that’s what cost him the match.

Either or, he’s a freshman who just took second at the NCAAs. He’s a great kid with a great future.

I literally don’t think anyone is saying Fix shouldn’t have been more aggressive.

Reactions: lincolnhs
Tonight just reaffirms what has been happening the last several years but their is more and more top end talent out there. It's hard to win a championship let alone several.

Hall, Joesph, Martin, Gable were all heavy favorites and all lose. Several returning AA's failed to make the podium. Nolf who is an all timer probably should have lost in the semis.

From Cary Kolat (Campbell Head Coach)
Not having third party review at the NCAA Championship is crazy and cost a kid a title. The SoCon conference had independent review why not here?
Exactly.why would 2 refs overturn a call by reviewing it with the same eyes they called it with? My wife rarely watches wrestling but said that is why she does not.they do not reverse the obvious.send it to an independent ref to review.

Tonight just reaffirms what has been happening the last several years but their is more and more top end talent out there. It's hard to win a championship let alone several.

Hall, Joesph, Martin, Gable were all heavy favorites and all lose. Several returning AA's failed to make the podium. Nolf who is an all timer probably should have lost in the semis.
Foster of UNI wins 184 and the picture I have is Jacobi Smith dominating Foster in the dual with a combination of speed and power.

Too bad he'll miss it looking through binoculars for what's going wrong.
Your wrong because we have not won a title for a dozen years. If we win a Team National Championship and I write a negative comment for the next year I will quickly make a forum apology. Nobody needs binoculars to see the negative most years, if you did not have orange shades on you would see our struggles. Wrassler I do see lots of potential in the near future with recruiting, new facilities and a RTC functioning well. However I am going to need to see it and when I see it I will really enjoy it because it has been a long, long wait.. I saw some good things this year but I also saw enough bad things but I was surprised how poorly some wrestlers wrestled at Nationals but some wrestled tough but still we did not win Nationals and did not have 1 individual champion. Two teams that were jokes to us in the first part of the 2000 decade both beat us with 1 dominating us. Nope I am not satisfied with this year.

Reactions: dvpoke25
Micco, you know I have been called names on this forum for years. I remember you calling me some names in the past also. Don't worry about it, most everybody me included is angry and frustrated tonight.

Reactions: MiccoMacey
Micco, you know I have been called names on this forum for years. I remember you calling me some names in the past also. Don't worry about it, most everybody me included is angry and frustrated tonight.
I just thought you were overly negative about some things. I’ve since come around to agreeing with a lot that you said/say. You’re STILL more negative than my outlook on most things, but you’re not wrong.

PSU is a freakin machine. They will be hard to get around next year and Ohio State also.

Great season for both our finalist. Interesting thing people forget is (from what I read before season began) Daton is a natural 125 lbs and wrestled at 133 for the team with pic there and a solid top 5 guy. Not saying he beats Lee tonight as that kid is a machine but everyone kept talking about upper weight kids jumping weights for a large portion of the year, people forget about that.

Great season for both our finalist. Interesting thing people forget is (from what I read before season began) Daton is a natural 125 lbs and wrestled at 133 for the team with pic there and a solid top 5 guy. Not saying he beats Lee tonight as that kid is a machine but everyone kept talking about upper weight kids jumping weights for a large portion of the year, people forget about that.

A frustrating end to Daton's season, no doubt. But there's also a potential positive to him going 133 this year - it might help with freestyle. After battling some of the bigger guys, he should be better prepared for Gilman & company.

Another highly regarded freshman once lost in the NCAA finals and it proved to be a turning point in his career. He went on to win a World gold medal before his sophomore season. Then he won an Olympic gold medal. And 3 straight NCAA titles. Kyle Snyder.

Don't be surprised to see Daton do the same.

This isn't the night Penn State fans expected and I'm loving it!!!!
I expected Nolf to win handily and he won handily.
I expected VJ to win and he lost handily.
I expected Hall to lose in a close one and he lost in a close one.
I expected Bo to win and he won.
I expected Cassar to lose a close one and he won handily.

My thoughts were pretty mainstream so not sure where you got your opinion. All in all the final outcome was there if not all the details. Besides, I’m not so invested in any individual outcome that it devastates me. Wrestlers come and go but the team is always there. The team won the title.

I’m sure most of you feel the same about your team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT