ADVERTISEMENT

Scuffle

I do not think that we were aware of the significance of his injury his freshman year. I think that he is still recovering from that and that is why he took the redshirt this year.

I think (hope) he has been dealing with a new injury. If he is still dealing with a 2 plus year old injury that is a very concerning sign.

I do think the chances of Joe being back at 157 are dropping. This year hasn't worked out as all had hoped so far.

Marsden loses to Smeltzer from Va Tech 10-7.

Not sure what happened to Lamons. He was tied 4-4 nearing the end of the 3rd.

Edit: Alford (Navy) pinned Lamons at 5:45.

9 seed Mardsen upset by the VT freshman. He looked tired and a bit uninterested. Let's guys to his legs way to easy and got caught going for the big throw twice. Waited to long in the first and third as he had to throws that put the other kid on his back but ran out of time both times.

First time down to weight may have played a role but the coaches will not have loved what they saw.

9 seed Mardsen upset by the VT freshman. He looked tired and a bit uninterested. Let's guys to his legs way to easy and got caught going for the big throw twice. Waited to long in the first and third as he had to throws that put the other kid on his back but ran out of time both times.

First time down to weight may have played a role but the coaches will not have loved what they saw.
Looked like he was favoring his knee a lot as the match wore on. Limping around in the first period of your first match of a tourney like this is not encouraging. Hopefully it's not anything serious.

Looked like he was favoring his knee a lot as the match wore on. Limping around in the first period of your first match of a tourney like this is not encouraging. Hopefully it's not anything serious.

He was favoring his knee after it got tweaked when the other kid got a reversal on him. No question that played a role in the last period but he looked fine prior to that.

He was favoring his knee after it got tweaked when the other kid got a reversal on him. No question that played a role in the last period but he looked fine prior to that.
personally I thought he looked bad before the knee tweak, looked like a guy who struggled with first time weigh in, wrestled sloppy & with little energy

What a disappointing tournament. Wondering if there is a bug or something with fix and smith
You are right this tournament is now very disappointing. Also Moran lost to Heil's little brother, and the match was not even close. We have 2 wrestler in the quarters. I thought I saw where Marsden lost in consolations. Only wrestler I have interest in now is Gfeller. 184 seems to really be a problem for us and the development I hoped to see isn't occurring.

You are right this tournament is now very disappointing. Also Moran lost to Heil's little brother, and the match was not even close. We have 2 wrestler in the quarters. I thought I saw where Marsden lost in consolations. Only wrestler I have interest in now is Gfeller. 184 seems to really be a problem for us and the development I hoped to see isn't occurring.
Moran came back and pinned the 4th seed from lock haven. With smith out, would like to see marsteller and penn state kid in finals. Gfeller has a nice match up with penn state kid too.

Reactions: osu2082
Moran came back and pinned the 4th seed from lock haven. With smith out, would like to see marsteller and penn state kid in finals. Gfeller has a nice match up with penn state kid too.

PSU twitter saying Cortez will not go. If so, Gfeller will face Gil (Navy) or 2-seed Karam (Lehigh).

personally I thought he looked bad before the knee tweak, looked like a guy who struggled with first time weigh in, wrestled sloppy & with little energy

Totally agree.

If he did not make weight, since he is wrestling unattached couldn't he just wrestle the next weight up (174)? I mean didn't he wrestle some matches in High School at 180? granted the worst wrestler he would face might be better than the best wrestler he wrestled at State in High School, but wrestlers having a warriors mentality would not want to travel what 800 miles/12-14 hours to not wrestle, and in my mind a wrestler who does not make weight (in this case 165 so he currently is a 174, which does not mean he can't go back to 157 or whatever next year) is the next weight up at least on the day he did not make weight, just seems a wrestler would rather wrestle up a weight rather than not wrestling at all.

If he did not make weight, since he is wrestling unattached couldn't he just wrestle the next weight up (174)? I mean didn't he wrestle some matches in High School at 180? granted the worst wrestler he would face might be better than the best wrestler he wrestled at State in High School, but wrestlers having a warriors mentality would not want to travel what 800 miles/12-14 hours to not wrestle, and in my mind a wrestler who does not make weight (in this case 165 so he currently is a 174, which does not mean he can't go back to 157 or whatever next year) is the next weight up at least on the day he did not make weight, just seems a wrestler would rather wrestle up a weight rather than not wrestling at all.

I'm guessing some kind of bug going around. Maybe Joe knew he had it night before or morning of and thus didn't weigh in, thus they redrew the brackets. And perhaps Fix thought he was good to go, weighed in but then didn't feel 100% and backed out. Brackets already complete so an MFF.

Course could be the two are not related.

Last edited:
Harding having a strong tournament and advances to semis beatinf the northern Colorado kid 6-2.

The PSU kid forfeited so G also advances to the semis.

Harding having a strong tournament and advances to semis beatinf the northern Colorado kid 6-2.

The PSU kid forfeited so G also advances to the semis.

I agree, GWH looked very good today. Besides Gary and Kaden in the semis, Blake Andrews is still alive in the consolations. He has Jordan Wood next.

Reactions: osu2082
I'm guessing some kind of bug going around. Maybe Joe knew he had it night before or morning of and thus didn't weigh in, thus they redrew the brackets. And perhaps Fix thought he was good to go, weighed in but then didn't feel 100% and backed out. Brackets already complete so an MFF.

Course could be the two are not related.

Fix had the flu. Smith may have had the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT